PDA

View Full Version : Are moose Hindu?

Eastern Mind
01 June 2011, 08:26 PM
Vannakkam: Just a fun little adventure tonight. The priest phones me up all excited. Apparently there are three moose on the temple property, and he's worried they're going to eat all the flowers and the like.

The property does back on to a ravine but moose in the city isn't all that common.

So I jump in the car and head over there worried about the fence, devotee's safety and all that. But by the time I get there the the manager has gently chased them right back out the same way they came in ... right through the front gate. Turns out they have just done one whole pradakshina of the temple, and in the right direction. They left a few huge tracks but there is no major damage. So the question is: are these guys Hindu?

For those of you that don't know what a moose is, here's a link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose

Aum Namasivaya

Adhvagat
01 June 2011, 09:20 PM
EM, seems like this temple has lots of lilas regarding animals. Is it the same that had the bee problem?

Moose sure look very friendly, I must say... However, are they really? I've never been near one.

Arjuni
01 June 2011, 09:57 PM
Namasté,

Pietro, they do look rather friendly, don't they? It's as if someone took a big Shetland pony and put a sea anemone on its head.

EM, it seems that a male, female, and baby moose respectively are called a bull, cow, and calf, and of course, they're herbivores; perhaps the moose is simply a Northern cow with fancy headgear. It is called a MOOse, isn't it?

In conclusion, yes, most definitely Hindu. :P

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
02 June 2011, 06:56 AM
Vannakkam: They're large ugly creatures, and a bit unlike deer, who sneak around stuff, moose are more likely to just go bashing through underbrush. They are wild animals, although in the city a bit more 'tamed' because of adaptation to human environments. If cornered or feeling threatened, and especially during mating season, they can charge you, so you do have to be quite careful. Sometimes immigrants make mistakes with these wild creatures, such as trying to pet them.

Yes, out temple does have a lot of wildlife ... bees, woodpeckers (2 kinds), other songbirds, coyotes on the road, raven, deer, and more if I thought about it. There also have been cougars (puma, panther) and bear in the city. I never ever expected moose though.

Regarding leelas, my wife thought they were the last three Gurus in our sampradaya incognito.

Aum Namasivaya