PDA

View Full Version : Memorization of prayers

arjunah
04 June 2011, 12:16 PM
I was raised as a Catholic and although I do not attend weekly mass anymore, I can still recite many of the prayers from memory.

I would like to learn to do this with things like The Satarudriya but I am not sure what the best way to memorize would be. How would a Guru have me memorize? Would my Guru just say, 'go memorize!' ?

Would anyone like to share any tips for memorization ? I was thinking of just trying to memorize a section a day.

Thank you for your time

Eastern Mind
05 June 2011, 08:13 AM
I was raised as a Catholic and although I do not attend weekly mass anymore, I can still recite many of the prayers from memory.

I would like to learn to do this with things like The Satarudriya but I am not sure what the best way to memorize would be. How would a Guru have me memorize? Would my Guru just say, 'go memorize!' ?

Would anyone like to share any tips for memorization ? I was thinking of just trying to memorize a section a day.

Thank you for your time

Vannakkam arjunah: Yes, the most common way by yourself is in chunks. Get various chunks down pat, and then add a bit more each day. I'm not really sure how its done in various priest training schools, but I've seen them chanting together.

When I taught, and we entered choral speech contests, that's how the students memorized. Ironically, I was usually the last one to get it, because I had the words in front of me for them. So I'd practice in the car in my daily commute.

I once had 108 names of Ganesha and Siva memorized. Same thing ... in car, and 9 names at a time, always practising the previous learned ones. Those nuts :) who memorize the first trillion digits of pi do it that way as well. I heard that there are 8 8s in a row somewhere, and that's like a goal.

Aum Namasivaya

sunyata07
07 June 2011, 04:11 PM
I was thinking of just trying to memorize a section a day.

Namaste,

That's the best way to learn it, IMO, unless you're endowed with photographic memory! But alas for most of us... it's probably rote memory that works best. If you're musically inclined, one great way to learn prayers, stotras, etc. is to put it to music. You can create a playlist in your head as you go about your day and hum and sing along all the words you can remember. Gradually, just like that new song you hear over the radio/tv, you'll be able to remember all the "lyrics". Well, that's one fun way to learn prayers.

I once had 108 names of Ganesha and Siva memorized. Same thing ... in car, and 9 names at a time, always practising the previous learned ones.

Once, EM? I'm shocked! :) Only kidding. I've only a handful of Their names memorised for now. I wonder if anyone on the board is able to recite 1008 names of Shiva, or Vishnu, etc. without pause? Now that would be pretty impressive.

Eastern Mind
07 June 2011, 04:56 PM
Once, EM? I'm shocked! :) Only kidding.

Vannakkam sunyata: Always enjoy your quips. Yes, its use it or lose it. I think I have 9 now, but I'm sure if I took a month or so, and concentrated, I could get the 108 back. We once had a very gifted priest here who could chant for 10 days straight from memory without repetition. He was just awesome, with an awesome vibration. I'm sure he could have done as you said, probably for 10 or so deities too.

Most priests have to get out their little totally wrecked book for special pujas. (I don't know why they can't buy a new book once in a while. I think its some sort of prestige thing ... the dirtier and smudgier the book is, the better the priest is.) The older guys have to get the eyeglasses on too.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
07 June 2011, 10:22 PM
I learn mantra by getting the translation and learning what every exact word means first...I really make the effort to know what I am saying to Beloved...through this method I have found such beauty in the words and their meanings.

One song I love so much has such a truly beautiful translation that when i sing it...knowing what it truly means...it always fills me so full of love!

For every thing I learn I do this. I have a long list of files upon my computer with different translations to help me do this...but I can still recite from memory Chaucer from my childhood...and I remember songs I heard since I was tiny child. So you could say that I have an exceptional ability to be able to retrieve things such as this.

This is one that makes my heart so happy, I sing it so often my children have learned it...and they know what I am saying because I tell them the meanings too.

He Govinda He Gopala

He Govinda He Gopala He Daya lulal
(O Govinda, O Gopala, O Ocean of Mercy)

Prana Natha Anatha Sakhe
(O Lord of my life you are my only true friend)

Dina Darda Nivara
(The only protector of this unfortunate soul)

He Samaratha Agamya Purana
(O eternal Divine “King”, I am unfit to approach you as I am)

Moha Maya Dhara
(holding on to my illusions and attachments)

Andha Kupa Maha Bhayana
( I have fallen into this andha kupa- deep dark well of ignorance)

Nanaka Para Utara
(You are my only shelter and means of deliverance)
-------

I copied this to my computer from this website-
http://www.govindas.com.au/page/bhajans.html