PDA

View Full Version : what does it mean?

satay
21 December 2006, 11:17 AM
I have seen some interesting usernames and avatars on this forum. Would you like to share what your username and avatar means and how you chose it?

Who wants to the the first?

saidevo
21 December 2006, 07:31 PM
Namaste Satay.

My username 'saidevo' is obviously after Sai, Sri Satya Sai Baba, to be more specific, whose devotee I am for over five years now. Actually the name is a contraction of the phrase 'sai devotee', but my forum friends (elsewhere) often miss the 'vo' ending and address me as 'saideva' or 'Sai Deva'! I quickly remind them that the term 'Sai Deva' applies only to Bhagavan and that I am only a devotee, a 'saidevo'. My original intention were to choose usernames such as 'padhadhuli' or 'padarenu' but I found that these names were already chosen in the Yahoo! email facility.

What about your username?

Znanna
21 December 2006, 07:37 PM
I was named Inanna by a Native American shaman, after the Sumerian goddess. I appended the Z when I adopted the z'gregore of a bunch of chaos mages, and named myself a Zee.

Namaste,
ZN

PS The av is "dark matter" :P

Agnideva
22 December 2006, 10:57 AM
My Avatar is actually the OM written in the Balinese script.

As for Agnideva - Agni is the first word in the Rigveda, therefore the first written word in Sanatan Dharma. Agni is the fire of Divine Consciousness in the Veda. Agni is also the spiritual fire (kundalini shakti) that is latent within each one of us.

OM Shanti,
A.

sm78
22 December 2006, 11:11 AM
Sadly, my current handle doesn't mean anything except being initials of my real name

satay
22 December 2006, 12:55 PM
When I was a meat eater chicken satay was my favourite food!

The avatar is just a cool looking knight.

satay
22 December 2006, 01:00 PM
Sadly, my current handle doesn't mean anything except being initials of my real name

why sadly?

vedic_kings
27 January 2007, 06:13 PM
My user name vedic kings, mean two different things.

Vedic, as everyone here would know is the Vedas.

Kings is after a playstation game called Kings Field (First person RPG).

This user name I created back in 2001. This was when I was at the agetac forum for Kings Field, which at the time a new KF game was coming out called Kings Field: The Ancient City (KF:TAC), for the playstation 2. the North American release date was March 26, 2002. There are 4 kf games. tac was the last game in the series so far.

I have use this user name on ever forums and emails.

As far as my avatar, is B. K. S. Iyengar.

c.smith
27 January 2007, 08:15 PM
No creativity here - it's self explanitory.

Agnideva
27 January 2007, 08:55 PM
My user name vedic kings, mean two different things.

Vedic, as everyone here would know is the Vedas.

Kings is after a playstation game called Kings Field (First person RPG).
I was wondering what Vedic Kings meant for a while now :headscratch:. Now I get it. Thanks for sharing.

vedic_kings
27 January 2007, 10:27 PM
I was wondering what Vedic Kings meant for a while now :headscratch:. Now I get it. Thanks for sharing.

Yup, now you know. :)

Adhvagat
24 March 2011, 10:44 AM
My user name is self explanatory... :D

But let's research a bit just for the fun of it.

Derived from the Greek Πετρος (Petros) meaning "stone". This is a translation used in most versions of the New Testament of the name Cephas, meaning "stone" in Aramaic, which was given to the apostle Simon by Jesus (compare Matthew 16:18 and John 1:42). Simon Peter was the most prominent of the apostles during Jesus's ministry and is often considered the first pope.

Due to the renown of the apostle, this name became common throughout the Christian world (in various spellings). In England the Normans introduced it in the Old French form Piers, which was gradually replaced by the spelling Peter starting in the 15th century.

Besides the apostle, other saints by this name include the 11th-century reformer Saint Peter Damian and the 13th-century preacher Saint Peter Martyr. It was also borne by rulers of Aragon, Portugal, and Russia, including the Russian tsar Peter the Great (1672-1725), who defeated Sweden in the Great Northern War. Famous fictional bearers include Peter Rabbit from Beatrix Potter's children's books, and Peter Pan, the boy who refused to grow up in J. M. Barrie's 1904 play.

Source: http://www.behindthename.com/name/peter

Sounds like my name is awfully christian... Hmmm, is ROCK considered to be christian patented now? :p

I have never found solid information on my last name. But I was told that it was the name of pirates who used to paint themselves, just like clowns. Pagliazzo, woud be a word for clown. So Im - Pagliazzo, it would pretty much mean In Clowns, if I'm not mistaken.

Some users call me PI here, which is a neat contraction, and after I read that perhaps Indians were the first to calculate the number Pi, it sounds more Hindu. :)

My avatar (semi-shakti-avesha only, not full blown :o) is Parikshit Maharaj receiving the fiery bite from Takshaka. The winged snake is said to be a great symbol of transcendence, because it possess both the earth-bound slithery nature of a snake and the limitless movement power of a bird. It's a metaphor for a man's (earth-bound) journey towards spirituality (limitless).

NayaSurya
24 March 2011, 11:23 AM
LOL I was a clown in my youth for a local food chain called Mr.Gatti's (pizza). I got paid 20$ an hour to entertain kids with balloon animals so I love your name!

My name comes from an young Indian friend I made online years an years ago...my name online had always been new moon and she said this one was more fitting...a new sun, a new day...and a new start!

I am not too attached to any one name so I wish I could change it on here every so often. I don't think Satay would appreciate such pestering.:crazy:

amith vikram
24 March 2011, 12:42 PM
My username is my real name.
the line beneath it-bhavani tvam is my favorite phrase which comes in soundarya lahiri. it means bhavani-parvati, tvam-you just by saying this you grant all wishes!
my avatar-its a photo of a photo which i carry in my wallet.
my signature- sarva dharmaan parityajya- again my fav line from geeta. It means don't rely on anything other than me(krishna). to be identified as belonging to a certain group or relying on some work-quit them all and just surrender to me!

sunyata07
24 March 2011, 01:53 PM
Namaste,

Interesting responses. Satay, I just love where you got your username! :D

My username comes from an old one I used to have on another discussion board, "nyata" which is a Swahili word for moving steathily. When I became interested in Buddhism later on, I picked the name sunyata (with the element of nyata still in there), the concept of emptiness or interdependence of everything in the universe. The number 07 just happens to be my personal lucky number.

My avatar I tend to change regularly between Sri Ganesha and the Divine Mother.

Om namah Shivaya

sanjaya
24 March 2011, 02:41 PM
My user name is just based on my actual name. Sanjaya is also the narrator of the text of the Bhagavad Gita to King Dhritirashtra, when the king asks what the Kauravas and Pandavas did on the day of the Kurukshetra battle. He is certainly an important character for this reason alone!

Adhvagat
24 March 2011, 02:41 PM
NayaSurya, I'm not sure I'm really into clowns. I do no honor to my last name! hehehe

Satay's knight avatar looks like a templar and everytime I look at it I think "he's gonna cut my head off if I get too silly around here..."

It's also very nice if you guys provide the translation of verses and mantras you use on signatures and titles. Since I'm not fortunate enough to be versed in sanskrit, I just can't understand without one. :)

My user name is just based on my actual name. Sanjaya is also the narrator of the text of the Bhagavad Gita to King Dhritirashtra, when the king asks what the Kauravas and Pandavas did on the day of the Kurukshetra battle. He is certainly an important character for this reason alone!

A friend of my father uses to say that the Gita should be studied when the subject is Media and Broadcast, because Sanjaya through his siddhis broadcasted the Gita to Dhritarashtra. :p

TheOne
24 March 2011, 03:36 PM
My name TheOne is one of the first things that came into mind when I decided to sign up for the forums probably because I was watching the Matrix trilogy and it had Hindu themes in it.

As for the avatar, It is the Aum symbol which I painted. I wish I had a high quality camera so I could take a picture of my(in my opinion) beautiful artwork of Aum.

Adhvagat
24 March 2011, 03:54 PM
Can I call you Neo? I was tempted several times.

sunyata07
24 March 2011, 04:21 PM
Can I call you Neo? I was tempted several times.

Strange, that I am not the only one who felt a Neo-like quality from our friend, TheOne! :D Also, good point about the Sanskrit translations, Pietro. I'm not versed in much either.

The subtitle underneath my username 'tena tyaktena bhunjitha' is a verse from the Isha Upanishad. It means: "renounce, and enjoy".

The Ganesha mantra in my signature many of you will already be familiar with, and the mantra underneath (Lokah samastaah sukhino bhavantu) is one of my guru's. It says: "May all beings everywhere be happy".

Om namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
24 March 2011, 06:04 PM
Vannakkam: Back when I adopted SD, there was talk of eastern minds (or souls) in western bodies, and western minds (or souls) in eastern bodies, so I just took that to indicate where I'm coming from. Some days I can't believe how 'eastern' I think. Here's an example: I'm going to Washington, DC, via Minnesota, Chicago, Pittsburg, etc in a short while. Westerners will ask if I am going to see the Smithsonian, or white house, or maybe take in a spring baseball game. Nope - Hindu temple of Minnesota, Balaji temple in Chicago, Sri Venkateswara temple in Pittsburgh, Murugan temple in Lanham, Siva-Vishnu temple in Lanham, then a Siva temple in Ottawa before visiting my son and going home across the Mother Nature of Canada. The Smithsonian will have to wait. :)

Aum Namasivaya

TheOne
24 March 2011, 07:13 PM
Only if I don't have to slow down time and dodge bullets. Other than that I see no problem :D

Adhvagat
24 March 2011, 11:44 PM
Vannakkam: Back when I adopted SD, there was talk of eastern minds (or souls) in western bodies, and western minds (or souls) in eastern bodies, so I just took that to indicate where I'm coming from. Some days I can't believe how 'eastern' I think. Here's an example: I'm going to Washington, DC, via Minnesota, Chicago, Pittsburg, etc in a short while. Westerners will ask if I am going to see the Smithsonian, or white house, or maybe take in a spring baseball game. Nope - Hindu temple of Minnesota, Balaji temple in Chicago, Sri Venkateswara temple in Pittsburgh, Murugan temple in Lanham, Siva-Vishnu temple in Lanham, then a Siva temple in Ottawa before visiting my son and going home across the Mother Nature of Canada. The Smithsonian will have to wait. :)

Aum Namasivaya

:o...

Ramakrishna
24 March 2011, 11:59 PM
Namaste,

My username is just that of one of my favorite Hindu saints, Sri Ramakrishna. I really enjoy reading about his life, as well as many of the wisdom-filled quotes and sayings attributed to him.

Jai Sri Ram

Arjuni
25 March 2011, 03:19 AM
Namasté, all,

It's interesting to read where everyone's names originated. Satay, I was pleased to have guessed right about yours, and Ramakrishna, I read about Sri Ramakrishna because of one of your posts, so I owe you thanks for discovering this wonderful saint through you.

As for mine, I started collecting rocks and minerals when I was a kid and always had a special fondness for my shiny geology toys, so was delighted to find the word for a favourite: blue sapphire, indraneela. I use the name as devotion to beloved Indra, since after many years of gathering stones, I stumbled upon a priceless jewel. :) And the avatar is a fantastic lightning/vajra photograph that a friend found for me.

This question of avatar choice on the forum amuses me. I think in images much of the time, and when reading everyone's posts, I keep reminding myself that Pietro's words are not written by a winged flame, that Satay likely does not wear armour on a daily basis, that Sunyata is not staring at her computer like a wide-eyed Devi statue, that TheOne probably couldn't type if he was a painted Oṁ...

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

PARAM
25 March 2011, 11:35 AM
Username - Param

For the top of all, Parmatma, Parmeshwar, Parmpada, Parmpujya etc, however this word must be use only for ॐ

Avtar - Don't have any.

Signature - om / OM / Om

Sahasranama
25 March 2011, 08:41 PM
Sahasranama means a thousand names from the Vishnu Sahasranama Stotra. The vishnu sahasranama stotra has always fascinated me since I listened to a cassette of Anuradha Paudwal chanting the stotra when I was a kid. Lately, I have also been listening to other sahasranama stotras on the Internet like the lalita sahasranama stotra. Why did I pick this username? I was thinking what name should I pick and then I thought why not choose a thousand names!

Eastern Mind
25 March 2011, 08:48 PM
Sahasranama means a thousand names from the Vishnu Sahasranama Stotra. The vishnu sahasranama stotra has always fascinated me since I listened to a cassette of Anuradha Paudwal chanting the stotra when I was a kid. Lately, I have also been listening to other sahasranama stotras on the Internet like the lalita sahasranama stotra. Why did I pick this username? I was thinking what name should I pick and then I thought why not choose a thousand names!

Vannakkam: So you know all of your names then? :) Is it 1000 or 1008?

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
25 March 2011, 08:57 PM
Well, I do not know them all by heart. There are 1000 names in the vishnu sahasranama stotra, but 99 are repeated.

Obelisk
26 March 2011, 02:35 AM
My username "Obelisk" refers to the stuctures seen in Egypt and parts of Europe, which resemble a pyramid on top of a tall pillar. It's supposed to be a symbol of constant "upward" progress and enlightenment, which I thought was apt for my purpose here. :)

The avatar is a stone sculpture of Lord Ganesha from a video game I play sometimes. Actually that level depicts a pretty inaccurate stereotype of devotees, but I liked the image so took a screenshot.

sunyata07
26 March 2011, 06:03 AM
Nice name, Obelisk! The structure itself in ancient Egypt was also used as a marker of rebirth each morning, when the symbol of the rays of the sun-god, Ra (Surya) fell, the first thing it would strike was the pyramidal cone on the top of the pillar. I've always wondered if this was the Egyptian equivalent of Shivalingam.

Om namah Shivaya

saral
26 March 2011, 06:28 AM
Namste All,

SARAL mean simple. I write poem with this name so I choose this name simple :)

anirvan
26 March 2011, 08:32 AM
Anirvan is name of a very intellect philosopher-sannyasi whom i adore most and believe as my Idol. the link to him is

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Anirvan

His guru given name was Nirvanananda,and he preferred to be called Anirvana later stage after established in advita knowledge as he says he can"t be annihilated....so Anirvan.

my Avtar is what my heart desires to be as swaroop.

Obelisk
27 March 2011, 03:32 AM
Nice name, Obelisk! The structure itself in ancient Egypt was also used as a marker of rebirth each morning, when the symbol of the rays of the sun-god, Ra (Surya) fell, the first thing it would strike was the pyramidal cone on the top of the pillar. I've always wondered if this was the Egyptian equivalent of Shivalingam.

Om namah Shivaya

Thanks, sunyata! I really like your username too. :) Interesting analogy between the obelisk and Shivalingam; I had never really thought of that.

Adhvagat
28 March 2011, 05:01 AM
My username "Obelisk" refers to the stuctures seen in Egypt and parts of Europe, which resemble a pyramid on top of a tall pillar. It's supposed to be a symbol of constant "upward" progress and enlightenment, which I thought was apt for my purpose here. :)

The avatar is a stone sculpture of Lord Ganesha from a video game I play sometimes. Actually that level depicts a pretty inaccurate stereotype of devotees, but I liked the image so took a screenshot.

What game is it?

Alise
28 March 2011, 05:16 AM
Namaste,

so I asked Satay to change my username, so I'll explain both.
SweetAlisija so Alisija was a country in a dream world that's just perfect place to live in. I was little but do you feel the ego? :D As for sweet -I have no idea why I picked it... It's not even my favorite taste (sour is) or I'm like that...
Alice Lacie so Alice (Alise) is my real name. We latvians have name days & I actually was born on same day I have a name day. My older sister named me after Alice from "Alice's Adventures in the Wonderland" before I was born & that's why it happened. As for Lacie - it's an anagram for Alice & I didn't think of it myself but saw it on Alice's wiki page.:rolleyes:

Have a wonderful day,
~Alice

Obelisk
28 March 2011, 09:23 AM
What game is it?

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin.

Adhvagat
29 March 2011, 03:30 AM
Oh Hitman is a great story! Hitman Blood Money is great, I love the Christian tone to the hitmans background, really creepy and dark!

Obelisk
29 March 2011, 09:21 AM
Yep the Hitman series is really cool; the gameplay really requires a lot of observation and thinking. :) I think Contracts and Blood Money were a bit too dark and violent, though; Silent Assassin is a decent balance of everything, hehe.

upsydownyupsy mv ss
29 March 2011, 11:54 AM
upsydowmyupsy mv ss

This has actually infinite meanings.....

Our lives is full of ups and downs, good and bad, easy and difficult, love and hatred, anger and patience, knowledge and ignorance, sadistic and selflessness, self sacrifice and self centeredness, whatever it may be, this name must always remind me, Shiva is present in all of these, yet found in none of these and I want this name always to remind me of him, like subtly saying 'Om Namah Shivaya' whenever I log in and log out and also see this name.

God had no beginning and no end, he is a point, he is infinity, he is beyond infinity and he is in that 'emptiness'. The name simply reminds me of Yupa stambha -> the sacrificial pillar of atharva veda and Shiva purana.

I've always hated this vaishnavaite philosophy (esp. Iskcon) that Shiva is not god. Well, its my wish to love god, in the form I wish to love him, first of all he is formless, so whats the big deal with it anyway? Besides, does god say, I won't love you just because, you don't see me as Krishna or Vishnu? This name is also to remind me that Hara and Hari are one and reminds me not to become hostile to vaishnava devotees who reject Shiva as god and go on with stupid statements like 'Shiva is inferior to Krishna' or 'Shiva is not god', etc.

I'd like to summaries that this name, indicates, me, my love to god, god himself, the qualities of god, the never ending quest for knowledge, the search of truth, etc.

PARAM
29 March 2011, 12:10 PM
I liked Indraneela's username

About satay
once I was wondering what does it means ? First I thought it was Satya, or same for
'सत्य' but that was not clear. I googled this name and findout something odd, and that was Satay.

Ramakrishna
29 March 2011, 08:55 PM
About satay
once I was wondering what does it means ? First I thought it was Satya, or same for
'सत्य' but that was not clear. I googled this name and findout something odd, and that was Satay.

I thought the same thing! I figured 'satay' was just another spelling for 'satya' or something. But now I know what it really means :D

Jai Sri Ram

PARAM
30 March 2011, 11:51 AM
Now should we use it for another meaning ?