PDA

View Full Version : Can Kundalini energy get "stuck"?

sunyata07
07 June 2011, 04:47 PM
Namaste fellow HDF members,

Forgive the following post of my ignorance of Kundalini. I wish I could say I had greater knowledge of its nature and workings, but as it is, I still have only a very rudimentary grasp of what this spiritual energy does and where it uncoils along the chakras. I think my topic title might sound a little odd, but I'm not really sure how else to phrase my problem.

Can Kundalini become wound too tightly around a particular nerve centre or chakra? I realise I may be oversimplfying things here when I say that the chakras have been known to correspond to particular feelings, emotions, physical manifestations in the body, but would it be possible for Kundalini in its unfolding along the spine become fixated on a certain place and not budge for a while? I don't want to get too personal here, but I've been experiencing certain things that to my eyes seem a little uncharacteristic of my nature. Not that I've never experienced these mental and emotional pangs (I guess you could call them "urges", but that might be going a bit overboard), but never to this extent and I've been feeling it more intensely now over the last two months? It feels like "trapped energy" somewhere, and I was sincerely hoping there is someway I can direct that more efficiently than I have been doing in my regular japa and meditation. Most of the energy here that I am talking about is of the rajasic kind. It's not bad, but it's become something of a nuisance. I have tried reading about it, but I'm not sure if I've been looking in the right areas, or if I'm even just imagining it all. Could it be energy from the lower chakras (from the muladhara downward towards the feet?) Nothing major has really happened in my life that might lead to an explanation for this change. I'm just a bit confused right now. Could anyone please give me their thoughts on this?

Om namah Shivaya

NayaSurya
07 June 2011, 05:34 PM
I have experienced something like this once and for me it really helped that while doing meditation and japa to visualize the energy gently, wonderfully rising out of that stuck area. Up my spine with a wondrous intensity.

I have a crushed disc in the very lowest portion of my spine, it is crushing the sciatic nerve there.

During this time where I felt especially "fixed" upon certain emotion/inclinations it was extremely painful and I could hardly sit down, or lay down...I was just miserable. The doctor ordered very high level pain meds, but I refused these and began to read about other alternatives.

I began to do this visualization and after a week or so, I felt this amazing feeling one day during this exercise. It was as if I was on an elevator going very fast upward and my whole body became corrected in posture. I felt this wonderful feeling rise out of my back bone and thrust up into the back of my head and out the top. Any time I felt odd in that previous way, I began this visualization and to this day I have not had another problem.

It's not much, but I am deeply sorry you are suffering and you are always in my heart and thoughts.<3

Mana
08 June 2011, 01:45 AM
Namaste sunyata07,

I can only really speak from my experience and not from learned knowledge. I do however highly recommend "Kundalini Yoga (http://www.dlshq.org/download/kundalini.htm#_VPID_47)" by Sri Swami Sivananda.

To my eyes the feelings you are experiencing are directly related to circumstance in your dahrama both inner and outer, the kundalini clears all chackras whilst balancing her environment.

She pierces chakras to clear the way for energy flow. That you are aware of this is a great sign above all have no fear but be sure to listen to her as this is usually an indication of change or movement in our path through our dharama, from which we can learn by emergence.

Yes she can get stuck, although it is probably better said that she is blocked!

I think that the visualisation technique is a great advice of NayaSurya's!

Brahmacharya will heighten your awareness of this energy system it will increase your sensitivity.

Om Shakti

rkpande
08 June 2011, 02:05 AM
dear s-07,

namaste,

Kundalani is concentrated pranic energy, which is used by yogies to untie the three granthies in the susmana, so to say to remove obstructions, for prana to flow unhindered in the royal road.

if our chakra right from muladhara upwards are not cleansed, and we are not properly established in yama and niyamas,

kundalini if awakened accidentally, may heighten the feelings associated with lower chakras. it is naturally different for different people.

anirvan
08 June 2011, 08:42 AM
if our chakra right from muladhara upwards are not cleansed, and we are not properly established in yama and niyamas,

kundalini if awakened accidentally, may heighten the feelings associated with lower chakras. it is naturally different for different people.
[/QUOTE]

I think above is the correct perspective to look at your problem.to clean or unblock a particular chakra is not in our hand.kundalini shakti is self sufficient to find its own path to move up to sahasrara(siva).

What is in our hand is to keep our mind,chitta in sattika state.then how much kundalini or where ever it is stuck will not deviate/harm to us.thats why its essential to do chitta-sudhi...self cleansing to make us sattva dominant before trying to do energy sadhna like meditation and japa etc.though practically it shall go by hand in hand.

My personal suggestion will be that SURRENDERING (saranagati) is the best and only way to overcome such obstacle.and this surrendering is nothing but praying intensely and with utmost devotion and offering whatever sadhna you are doing at same time.

ananyaascintayanto maam ye janaa paryupaasate

teshaam nityaabhiyuktaanaam yogakshemam vahamyaham!

Bhagbatgita.

sunyata07
11 June 2011, 02:44 PM
Namaste,

Thank you for your responses and suggestions, everyone. I will take these into consideration as I try to understand further what I am going through.

NayaSurya, I will try utilising your visualisation technique the next time I sit down to meditation. Thank you for your kind words. It sounds like a good practice, whether or not it will help me with this problem. I guess I will have to do more reading up on kundalini shakti, and in the meantime, keep my habits, environment, frame of mind and diet sattvic.

Mana, thank you for the recommended text. I have bought a similar book called Kundalini Tantra by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. I haven't been able to read it just yet, but I'm hoping it will provide some insight to kundalini's workings in the body. I have prayed to Shakti Herself as Devi that this energy might channelled in something productive and beneficial and not devouring and demanding. It is something of a challenge right now, though, to speak honestly. Sometimes I get the feeling if I did not have spiritual practices to give myself some time to connect with the Divine, kundalini energy would rage its way down into the lower chakras. God knows where I might be now were it not for japa, prayer and meditation. I have much to be thankful for with regards to this forum, too. Here I can find many sympathetic ears and helpful advice from friends. Thank you for your time.

Om namah Shivaya

sunyata07
15 June 2011, 05:26 PM
Namaste,

Just some added thoughts of mine. Actually, what I really wanted to do was to vent some frustration here. I have been surfing through the net these last few nights, trying to find out more about Kundalini energy becoming blocked. I was also reading a little bit about Brahmacharya observance and trying to redirect energies that would normally incite sexual desire, but I find it maddening that so many articles and advice columns found on the internet and in books that speak of Brahmacharya practice come from the point of view of men. While I can understand that most things are written with the perspective of men in view as the default sex (for convenience more than anything else), it seems naive and very primitive to hold the view that it is primarily males who suffer from temptations of the flesh. Now I realise this may be true to some extent, but on the other hand, it is an entirely inaccurate viewpoint. As one member on this forum once pointed out - Nayasurya I think, unless I am wrong - females succumb just as easily to sexual desire as men, it's just that they are much better at hiding it! ;)

Such advice given to aspiring Brahmacharyis include asking celibates to remember that the body is a material vessel for the soul, subject to age and decay. I think this only works to some extent because it requires the person to reason with himself on something that while can be acknowledged to be a truth, is never quite clearly understood until it is experienced for himself. Also, celibates are often asked to imagine, whenever they feel the stirrings of desire in seeing a pretty female, that they are seeing the Divine Mother Herself and asking with Her grace to help them see Her presence in them thereby lessening kama. Should females do the same thing, but (assuming they are heterosexual) imagine Lord Shiva instead? I'd say a cold shower would work just as well, but that probably isn't always feasible on a day-to-day basis.

Om namah Shivaya

NayaSurya
15 June 2011, 05:47 PM
I knew what you were speaking of and tried my best to insinuate this without being gauche. (I didn't want to just assume it was this same so I began to speak about my injury which began a great issue with it.) But, I have experienced this since my birth. As a very young child I prayed so very hard to Beloved wondering my purpose here almost immediately...

When I was very tiny, I was sexually abused. From this moment on I began to have an overwhelming urge. It occured 24/7, relentlessly. Only from that exercise above was I finally relieved of this. I visualized that lower chakra and felt the energy rise higher and higher up my spine, into the back of skull and out the top.

It is a tremendous amount of energy...and even to this time I use it during my relations with my husband to not get overtly carried away.

Imagining Beloved Shiva was no help to me, as I see Him in even that state and am compelled to give him this special gift.

For my Beloved Husband, it has been a great gift because I see him as truly the Portion of Shiva I am to serve and I want to do this so perfectly wonderful.

But, to move on past this moment I know I will one day completely become celebate with him as our age rises and our vessels fail.

We are sisters, cut from Beloved Shakti's Beautiful Cosmic Cloth...and from this place we are all Radha, the Lover of Beloved.

I send my heart to you, overflowing with such Love. I know this difficult situation well and just that you are here to work upon it proves Your Beautiful Portion has risen above the animal to work it through.

And...since we are not these animals we inhabit...it means you will supremely succeed in this effort, of this I have no doubt.

At your Feet<3

Arjuni
16 June 2011, 12:30 AM
Namasté, all,

Sunyata, other commenters have already written some great insight into your original question, and given powerful examples of its occurrence. I agree with Mana that a better term is "blocked," but I think the answer to your question is an overwhelming "yes"!

Both you and NayaSurya raise some fantastic points later, regarding brahmacharya, desire (and indirectly, kundalini), so hopefully I won't derail the thread too much by addressing each in turn:

...females succumb just as easily to sexual desire as men, it's just that they are much better at hiding it!
Hiding it from others, or even from themselves, for women are often taught by culture - everything from family pressure to bodily shame to gender conditioning - that it's wrong for them to desire. Many ladies grow up despising or ignoring their bodies, and this has negative consequences for mental, physical, and sexual health. (A fascinating book on this subject is Caroline Knapp's Appetites: Why Women Want).
I've read, regarding brahmacharya, that second chakra (Svādhiṣṭhāna) in particular can become a difficult point when spiritual sādhanā is done. And this is one reason why women specifically are enjoined not to do certain works (like chant Vedas): because it's believed that women's reproductive systems can be harmed by second chakra going out of control, and also that living a chaste life will become much more difficult (which traditionally has more disastrous social consequences for women than men).

Such advice given to aspiring Brahmacharis include asking celibates to remember that the body is a material vessel for the soul, subject to age and decay.
I loathe this advice, which I too have read. Do we not have enough disregard for the elderly and infirm in the world; do we not fear aging enough? I know that teachers are trying to induce vairāgya by getting students to see past external beauty, but to me, this tactic is associated with a certain negative, self-flagellating approach to sexuality that seems to me very sex-obsessed in its own way. (If I read a 200-page book about brahmacharya that describes various manifestations of desire, how to control them, the types of thoughts that might arise, etc., have I not just read a 200-page book about sex - except with the words "DO NOT" prefaced before everything? :P )

I'd say a cold shower would work just as well, but that probably isn't always feasible on a day-to-day basis.
Cold showers suck. I tried it once just to see what the hoop-la was about, and it just made me a shivering and grumpy version of myself. :P

But seriously, panicking enough to jump into cold water seems more of the same over-pressured approach I described above. Putting too much pressure on oneself to perfectly succeed in anything, and ripping oneself apart for the tiniest slip, seems to me very egotistical and almost a certain guarantee of failure. For example, if I focus on a chakra that feels "stuck," then I fall into an annoyed-at-self mental loop instead of focusing on the meditation I'm trying to do. (And for the record, my own second chakra has been a mess for years.) If I respond to feelings of lust and desire, by looking at myself with anger, disappointment, and impatience, then I tend to crave the comfort of touch more, and that certainly doesn't help.

Regarding the chakras, instead of focusing on second when it feels stuck, I simplify, by focusing only on mūlādhāra/anāhata/sahasrāra. Or, more specifically, I focus on what those chakras mean to me, and pray very simply. Let me be rooted in faith and devotion. Let me love You. Let me reach to You. Some systems do recognise only three chakras as opposed to seven, or far more than seven, so it seems a decent approach.

...celibates are often asked to imagine, whenever they feel the stirrings of desire in seeing a pretty female, that they are seeing the Divine Mother Herself and asking with Her grace to help them see Her presence in them thereby lessening kama. Should females do the same thing, but (assuming they are heterosexual) imagine Lord Shiva instead?
There's merit in that approach; there are many ways that seeing the Divine can help! Occasionally I do see an attractive person and think of my Beloved manifesting Himself in different forms. More often, though, I see a person and mentally thank them for the reminder, also praying to myself in quiet wonder. If you are so beautiful to my eyes, how much more wonderful must He be! Thank you, Lovely One, for showing me beauty and reminding me of Beauty...and help me become wiser so that I may see You always, in all things and beings, not just the attractive ones!

For my Beloved Husband, it has been a great gift because I see him as truly the Portion of Shiva I am to serve and I want to do this so perfectly wonderful.
This is beautiful, and yet another way that seeing the Divine in others transforms simple lust into true brahmacharya.

There are two quotations that altered my entire attitude towards brahmacharya (and life and faith and everything), that I remember often.

NayaSurya wrote this:
Imagining Beloved Shiva was no help to me, as I see Him in even that state and am compelled to give him this special gift.

And this reminded me the first quote I love, which is from Sri Ramakrishna, who said: "Direct the six passions to God. The impulse of lust should be turned into the desire to have intercourse with Atman. Feel angry at those who stand in your way to God. Feel greedy for Him. If you must have the feeling of I and mine, then associate it with God. Say, for instance, 'My Rama, my Krishna.' If you must have pride, then feel like Bibhishana, who said, 'I have touched the feet of Rama with my head; I will not bow this head before anyone else.'"

The other is Swami Chinmayananda: "The noble and ignoble, the fallen and the sublime are all in Him."

I truly agree with this, and since all of my feelings and silly worries are His, I hope He doesn't mind that I try to offer it all back: joy, sadness, desire, all like flower petals from my hands. Anirvan's advice here, to surrender, I think applies to "chakra difficulties," "brahmacharya difficulties," and "all difficulties." :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Mana
16 June 2011, 01:54 AM
Namast&#233;

Sunyata you have some beautiful responses already :) I tend to be a little scientific in my reasoning I hope that this also helps in some way.

Both the male and female subtil body's are the same, the Atman has no gender!
Gender manifests in our biological body's and our egos alone, to allow for reproduction. that said it is an important part of our humanity and spirituality, pulling us up ever closer to Ishvara.

Know that Women make a substance very similar to seminal fluid.

The relationship between man and Woman is a microcosm of the macrocosm that is the love between man or woman and God. When Shiva is Joined with Shakti in a couple a new life may be formed, truly an act of God. When Shiva is Joined with Shakti in universal selfless love, God may be expressed in many other ways.

I find that sexual urges can be defused by paying attention to the Gunas, a sexual urge in a Rajasic state will become the energy to do good work in a Satvic state. If Shakti is willing then this energy is dispersed via Shiva through universal love in the world.

Through Karma.

Om Shakti.

NayaSurya
16 June 2011, 03:01 AM

This is beautiful, and yet another way that seeing the Divine in others transforms simple lust into true brahmacharya.

And this reminded me the first quote I love, which is from Sri Ramakrishna, who said: "Direct the six passions to God. The impulse of lust should be turned into the desire to have intercourse with Atman. Feel angry at those who stand in your way to God. Feel greedy for Him. If you must have the feeling of I and mine, then associate it with God. Say, for instance, 'My Rama, my Krishna.' If you must have pride, then feel like Bibhishana, who said, 'I have touched the feet of Rama with my head; I will not bow this head before anyone else.'"

I hope it did not come off that I had lust for someone in my above post.

Truth is, when the time comes to stop this wonderful activity, I will have no problem. I was a virgin when I marry my first husband and have only had two sexual partners my entire time here, both husbands. The animal has needs, the driver of this animal had control...every single moment.

It's not lust that makes me want to please my husband so fully, but the fact I am waist deep into this duty I have towards Him. I was given this family and husband to serve, and it manifests in a million different activities, this topic being only a tiny portion.

Many times, I often allow him this joy and forgo allowing myself to focus on anything but him and his enjoyment as to strengthen this ability to control the animal. Hope that wasn't too graphic.

I have a sincere desire to do this very very well for Him. Just as I nourish him with healthy meals, and cover him when the bedroom gets too cold..and he do the same for me. I can not ignore these duties as a householder for my own forward spiritual movement.

There is a vast difference between my position and RK and his quote as being that I accepted this life as a married woman and not as a renuciate, I have a supreme duty to several others and no anger will occur when I serve in this capacitiy. From this perspective, serving Beloved in this way is just as wonderful. I wouldn't have it any other way.<3

lol and as for the cold showers, often when I pray or do meditation I have to use my private bathroom as the rest of the house is occupied with children and this is the only place I have alone. Often times I will just get into our enormous jacuzi tub and run the cold water full blast and sit down in it crossed legs. After a while, you simply no longer even feel the water at all and I have to check if it drained out:p

I think that this is the secret to the cold shower. To get your body used to controlling your emotional state when it is yelling, screaming at you that something is uncomfortable for it...

If you can make it ignore ice cold water, imagine how many other things you could make it shut up about!:p

Arjuni
16 June 2011, 03:26 AM
Namasté,

NayaSurya, no, you didn't come across as lustful! It's late, and I'm not writing well; a more expanded version of my sentiment is:

"Those of us who wish to cope with desire without torturing ourselves about it, if we adopt an attitude like NayaSurya's, then we can find a healthy and loving way to have real brahmacharya. What she writes is a lesson for us, though more usable for those of us who are in relationships."

And then I included Ramakrishna's quote, to say, "We've had one lesson from NayaSurya, and this reminded me of another lesson, from Sri Ramakrishna, about desire; this lesson is also useful, most of all for those who are not in relationships."

I hope that makes a bit more sense out of my original post!

Several times I have been impressed by your physical strength, for example your ability to undergo prolonged fasts. My own body is far less robust - variable health, appetite, you name it - and very intolerant of cold, which I define as any temperature below 78F or so. :P Your point about ice cold water and emotional control is well taken and very correct, but I'm far less advanced, just getting to a point where 'eating regularly' and 'not getting sick a lot' are accomplishments! So the icy water-blasts will have to wait a while. :D

(Random irrelevant aside: it seems that every time I declare in my life, I AM NEVER DOING THAT, my Dearest One has a good laugh at my expense by arranging everything JUST so that I end up doing whatever I was "never" going to. And because I hate the cold so much, my worst fear is that I'm going to find and surrender to a guru, who will promptly instruct me, "Right - meditation in the snowy Himalayas for you!"
And my shout of "NoOoOoOOooooooOOoOOOooOOooOooo!!!", Darth Vader-style, will probably cause earthquakes worldwide. :P)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

NayaSurya
16 June 2011, 03:40 AM
Thank goodness, you know there's a whole stereo type with women my age being sex crazed and so I was hoping I didn't come off like that.:p

LOL I <3 you so much! You made me laugh so hard.

Let me tell you how ignorant I am.

When I was 18...I went to a relatives house and the woman had three children and toys EVERYWHERE! I sat on a toy when I went to use the lavatory.:cool1:

So as we were leaving...I say...."OMG! When I have children..."IF" I ever have children....they will NEVER have toys like that in my house!"

LOLOLOL

Then came 8 children and a living room which we eventually turned into...a playroom.:p

NayaSurya
16 June 2011, 03:53 AM
You reminded me that about two years ago we took all the children out to trick or treating at the zoo here and despite this mother reminding children at least four times about needing a coat...not one of them walked out the door with one!

So we get on the haunted hogwarts train ride through the zoo where the headless horseman begins to gallop alongside the train and every child is froze. The wind, so bitter it made my cheeks burned. So I begin to unlayer my costume till I was down to a short sleeve silk shirt. We rode the train twice! (the children were toasty in my clothes) I was frozen solid from it but just kept on chanting... I am not this animal.

All I could think about on those rides on the train was a 13 year old girl who was forgotten every day after band practice until it was dark outside and they all had eaten dinner...and then everyone looked around and said..."where's M?" Then someone would inevitably come get me...which was about five hours after school had let out. In the snow...rain...you name it. I would sit there and sing/pray the whole time...absolutely frozen solid.

If ever I get feeling a lil sad about these training lessons I have had here, I only have to look at my children and know the true fortune of it all.

But, the next time we went to the zoo, I made them line up coat in hand as we left.:p

sunyata07
19 June 2011, 02:28 PM
Dear Nayasurya, Mana and Indraneela,

Thank you all for your responses. You don't know how glad I am you were able to catch on to my meaning, Nayasurya. It is a highly personal topic, and whilst I am indebted to this forum for its compassionate members and invaluable words of wisdom, I'm not sure I would have been able to come to the heart of what's been bothering me all by myself. Thanks for reading between the lines. The experiences you both have shared with me are very helpful, and I'm grateful you are willing to share them with me on the forum.

I've read, regarding brahmacharya, that second chakra (Svādhiṣṭhāna) in particular can become a difficult point when spiritual sādhanā is done.

I also seem to recall touching upon this point of difficulty regarding the second chakra before. I cannot remember exactly what I read about the svadhisthana, but I do remember something about its vibrations corresponding to creative and sexual energies. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks the advice given to brahmacharyis can be maddening to read!

But perhaps I am being a little too ambitious. Once upon a time I got into the dangerous game of self-blame and self-loathing for my mistakes. The truth is that I and my peers around me are being raised in a world of extremes. Essentially the ideals of virtue have become polarised, so that one is left at either end of the scale, with no healthy middle ground. I don't want to fall into the trap that I might have fallen into in my old religion by branding all sexuality as being evil and full of lust, because as Mana has said, I believe it is an amazing, sacred act, this melding of Shiva and Shakti. It is something to look upon in reverence. But as I said before, if one is not careful, it can be easy to look at sex in the skewed light of promiscuity (where it is perfectably reasonable and even desirable to have sex with many partners on a regular basis) or religiosity (where all sexual-related behaviours are branded as immoral, destructive and evil; it is seen as something to be denied and shunned). Both these views are unhealthy, but they are largely the views I have been told to hold by either my generation or my former religion. I really hope that through meditational practices and my growing knowledge of how kundalini works, I will be able to overcome these prejudices and inaccuracies regarding sexuality.

Om namah Shivaya

Mana
20 June 2011, 04:26 AM
To expand just a little sunyata07.

The boundary between love within a couple, love for a guru/student and universal love is an extremely delicate one, it creates some of the greatest pitfalls on our path at the same time some of the headiest short cuts as such it is to be approached most delicately and with the utmost respect.

Abstinence is a sure way to remove the influence that your outward relations have on your inner self. Your self in this respect becomes clearer to you enabling a clearer calmer inner vision of who you actually are. That said nobody is alone and human conciousness is collective.

It is interesting to observe in Western society that many people will avoid being single at any cost. Preferring to stay in a bad relationship than to spend any time alone with their own thoughts.

It is for you to know if you are not fortunate enough to have the guidance of a Sat Guru, which influences help you and which hinder you, they will greatly affect the length of your path.

Om Shakti

sunyata07
20 June 2011, 11:59 AM
Namaste Mana,

Thank you. I do believe strongly that when a couple enters together into sexual union that a psychic connection is established between them. It's the reason why so much heartache is experienced after a relationship breaks down and once intimate partners must go their separate ways - it will follow them onto the next relationship they create, and so on, spinning out a karmic web of confused energies. I understand the need for abstinence in a spiritual aspirant's life. I just don't think sexual intimacy need be a hindrance to it, either. I think this is what they refer to when life stages are spoken of in Hinduism, where one may go through being a student, then a householder, and then a renunciate, etc.

Om namah Shivaya

nitinsharma
21 June 2011, 07:23 AM
I do believe strongly that when a couple enters together into sexual union that a psychic connection is established between them.

:rolleyes:I find that hard to believe.

sunyata07
21 June 2011, 01:13 PM

Namaste Nitinsharma,

Why so?

Om namah Shivaya

Adhvagat
21 June 2011, 01:33 PM

Sexual intercourse is a great psychic integration (specially emotional, even if there's this myth on today's society of uncompromised sex). That's the main reason promiscuity negatively affects spiritual life and/or any other task requiring clarity of mind.

I love how Shaiva Siddhanta promotes Brahmacarya, the book 'Saivite Virtue' (EM recommended me) deals with this topic in a manner I've never seen anywhere else, no demonization of sex, no unnecessary dichotomies, just a sound view of how the misuse of our sexual potencies aren't helpful to a spiritual path.

Eastern Mind
21 June 2011, 01:34 PM
I do believe strongly that when a couple enters together into sexual union that a psychic connection is established between them.

Vannakkam: Absolutely easy to believe, but you know where i get my 'crazy' ideas too. The purity in ancient traditional cultures had to have some sort of reasons that came from somewhere.

Aum Namasivaya

sunyata07
21 June 2011, 01:45 PM
Probably, EM, but when I say I hold to that belief, I'm usually referring to a couple who are bound together by a deep love for each other to begin with. I guess it might be a bit of a sweeping statement to say there's an immediate connection between a sexually intimate couple, but when there is love and emotions involved, it certainly almost always seems that way.

Om namah Shivaya

nitinsharma
22 June 2011, 02:02 AM
Namaste Nitinsharma,

Why so?

Om namah Shivaya

Cynicism????

sunyata07
22 June 2011, 01:15 PM
Can I take from the question marks following your answer, that you're not entirely sure yourself if it's cynicism that makes you doubt my statement? Out of curiousity, do you doubt the existence of kundalini shakti or any of the chakra centres in the subtle body?

Om namah Shivaya

Mana
24 June 2011, 12:53 AM
Namast&#233;

These types of experiences are not experienced by all, a developed sence of manas is required in order to be aware of these connections. If it is not felt during the waking hours this may be expressed through dreams.

Here is a quotation from the commentry on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Swami Venkatesananda

"Communication When you and I become one in a mystic way ‘communication’ happens. This happens very often between lovers, mother and child or very close friends. We have all communicated like this with someone or other—but we think it is accidental. We are strangers to this communication, because we neglect those few occasions, and they slip through our fingers. For instance, when a boy looks at a girl and smiles there is communication taking place, telepathy taking place—a fantastic thing going on there! We don’t take any notice of it, we have codified and pigeon-holed all this. We are all looking for mental telepathy, but we have completely neglected the study of natural phenomena. We are running after something which looks like natural phenomena."

nitinsharma
24 June 2011, 02:55 AM
Can I take from the question marks following your answer, that you're not entirely sure yourself if it's cynicism that makes you doubt my statement? Out of curiousity, do you doubt the existence of kundalini shakti or any of the chakra centres in the subtle body?

Om namah Shivaya

No,I'm never in doubt with the existence of the sacred chakra centres.Though I doubt they're active in this,well Microwave era.

The question marks were to you know,ask if the word cynicism in itself would suffice as an answer or you required any further justification.

Mana
24 June 2011, 05:05 AM
Namast&#233; nitinsharma

Doubt can defiantly keep the chakra closed!

Open or closed the chakra are active, these are the key points at which the subtitle body is connected to the physical body, without which we cannot interact with the physical world.
Fear not for microwaves they are several orders of magnitude above our minds vibration which is actually just underneath and within that of Long wave radio.

http://mrg.blogs.exetel.com.au/uploads/gr_brain-wave_chart1.gif

http://www.tpub.com/content/aviation/14030/img/14030_12_1.jpg

http://ds9.ssl.berkeley.edu/LWS_GEMS/2/images_2/ems510.jpg

We should be however, a little more concerned about the the transmission of AC electricity which happens at 50 - 60Hz just double that of our Beta brain waves.

Still it is interesting to note that our brains function is not so far removed from that of radio although I believe that the type of electric wave in the human nervous system is longitudinal like sound and not transversal like electricity in cables.

Pranam

NayaSurya
24 June 2011, 06:53 AM
When I saw this post above I nearly fell out of my chair.:p

Lastnight at midnight, my husband was asking me a question about good and evil and asked how..if we are all Source/Shiva how can there be ones who are on such a low vibrational level and I began an analogy about ....

Radios.

I was so exausted from this week....I really was quite unaware of most of what I said in my half down state.

But, I tell him of five radios(bodies) all from the same "factory" (Beloved)...and all of them on the same station. But then (I used our children) one of our children took a radio to their room and played rock and roll music loudly...and another took one, but left it outside in the rain...another took one and played classical music...and I took one to play mantra upon it. So this is why, while the Source of all of this is Pure Untainted Beloved...it is manifested in such profoundly different ways via our ability to tune into the lowest vibration to the highest...all relevant to our position upon our journey.

Each one, came from the same place, location(Beloved)...each are identical (all Beloved)...but each one is broadcasting and unfolding the Source in a different way...a different aspect...facet.

Some are playing loudly, some softly...and some broken from the rain.

So, it's so funny you bring up radios.

My above rambling about my observations is in no way to be taken as anything more than a exaustion induced conversation. As I do not want anyone to become angry with me for such ignorant analogy. I just thought it was quite cool you would come with this bread crumb for me...to know someone was listening lastnight to my lil theory...and thought it important enough to validate here. Beloved so kind to me, despite my ignorance.:p

Mana
24 June 2011, 07:14 AM
Thank you NayaSurya :) we must be receiving on the same wavelength!

sunyata07
12 July 2011, 12:30 PM
Just thought I'd add an update on something to this thread. I've been reading more about Kundalini, and am in no doubt part of what I was experiencing had something to do with its fixation around one of my lower chakras, most likely svadhisthana. I explained on this thread that initially part of me was convinced this was psychosomatic, and that I was imagining all this drama.

I was not.

I won't bore or disgust you with the details, but suffice to say my physical health has suddenly taken a dip, and yes, it relates to the svadhisthana area. I've had the most terrible lower back pains and cramps since my early teens. My emotional state has been a bit jittery, too. In the last month or two I have been seized with this desire to start doing strenuous exercise and have engaged in it each night for more than an hour, mostly to burn off any excess energies that I have been storing up. I became almost obsessional at one point, and I have no explanation for this behaviour. I should have included some more gentle exercises like hatha yoga and pranayama, but I have not been in quite my right frame of mind to have remembered such practices would have been very conducive for me then.

My doctor seems perplexed as to what could be causing this, and I've tried explaining to her I've just been a bit "stressed" and it must be causing some imbalance for me hormonally. Not too sure how she would react if I told her all this stuff I have been writing about on HDF. I'm not sure what's to be done about my problem. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be eternally grateful to hear them. I'm continuing japa each night, but I usually feel so drained afterwards, and the benefits I feel from it normally have not been enough to sustain me for very long. Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little frightened about all this.

Om namah Shivaya

NayaSurya
12 July 2011, 12:39 PM
So sorry things haven't improved, this is a very difficult thing you are speaking of, I have PCOS and do understand this trouble very much.

The only thing which finally free me of having problems was to have a Mirena installed. I do not think this would be good for anyone who hasn't had one child however, so it's not for everyone. But I haven't had a period in over 7 years...been very goodly.

Also could suggest going outside barefeet and walking...or sitting on ground. This is a tremendous help with gaining better balance. It wouldn't hurt if you know someone who is gifted in energy balancing to perhaps look you over?

If only we live closer, my Beloved Husband has an very good gift for energy.

I will speak to Beloved about you when I go for my long meditation, and with all my heart I will pray for you to have some peace and relief.<3

Adhvagat
12 July 2011, 11:54 PM
Sunyata, this whole thread gets a lot more interesting now.

So you basically felt in anticipation, through understanding of the subtle nature of our bodies and self-awareness that an imbalance was setting itself up. That's a great experience IMO.

I think I never experienced it to this extent to this day. What usually happens to me is to become very debilitated (feverish, flu, etc) after a very intense emotional happening. I'm trailing to a whole year with no diseases, in contrast to 2009 and 2010 that I was extremely sick and debilitated all the time.

Our mental and bodily health are indeed intrinsically and tightly connected.

Onkara
13 July 2011, 02:48 AM
My emotional state has been a bit jittery, too. In the last month or two I have been seized with this desire to start doing strenuous exercise and have engaged in it each night for more than an hour, mostly to burn off any excess energies that I have been storing up. I became almost obsessional at one point, and I have no explanation for this behaviour. I should have included some more gentle exercises like hatha yoga and pranayama, but I have not been in quite my right frame of mind to have remembered such practices would have been very conducive for me then.

My doctor seems perplexed as to what could be causing this, and I've tried explaining to her I've just been a bit "stressed" and it must be causing some imbalance for me hormonally. Not too sure how she would react if I told her all this stuff I have been writing about on HDF. I'm not sure what's to be done about my problem. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be eternally grateful to hear them. I'm continuing japa each night, but I usually feel so drained afterwards, and the benefits I feel from it normally have not been enough to sustain me for very long. Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little frightened about all this.

Om namah Shivaya

Namast&#233; Sunyata
Energy cannot get stuck. Energy by nature is full of movement and change. You and I are not Duracell batteries, and we don’t accumulate energy in specific areas for weeks on end. Shakti is natural energy, creation and expansion. Shakti is the mirror in which Shiva knows Himself. The movement of Shakti (kuṇḍalinī) through the body, up through the chakra, allows Consciousness to become aware of itself when normally it may not. As kuṇḍalinī moves up Shiva moves with Her, bringing with it new awareness and sensations.

If there is a sense of fear and apprehension, then it need not be dwelt upon. If there is unconscious stress, then that needs to be addressed aside as stress is psychosomatic. You are a thoughtful and sensitive person. With stress and anxiety we can go about our normal day, cooking, talking, laughing, but it is like a pressure pot, hissing away in the background that sooner or later needs to be addressed. That may not be your case of course.

When I was 19 I put myself into a situation in which I thought I was going to die. I was so scared I was physically sick. Then suddenly the fear for my life gave way to a profound blackness, so deep it was reassuringly blissful. Every worry that I had had was put into proportion as nothing more than a scratch on the surface of something much greater. It changed my life completely. From that day onwards and for a whole year I had this uncomfortable burning at the top of my head. In the end I plucked up the courage to consult a doctor who diagnosed it as inflammation of the nerves. I suffered from a feeling that all the folly of my youth was just play and it did not have the same value as it once held. I was working in an insurance company at the time, I left work and took up A-levels and went on to study Psychology and Philosophy at university, driven to understand myself, specifically what I had ‘seen’ that night.

My point in narrating this is that we are driven by energy and change in and around us, there is nothing spiritual in you which will damage you for good or hold you back from spiritual progress. Rather, I expect you will work through this and the more gentle and relaxed you are with yourself the better. The body is a delicate system that needs rest and affection from its owner. Japa, mediation and exercise will serve you, but not if you are left feeling more drained than when you begun, perhaps you need some self pampering and love?

sunyata07
14 July 2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks, Nayasurya. I'm not 100% sure if it is PCOS; I'm going to have to wait a week or two before the results of my blood test get back. I'm really hoping this is just a blip on my current state of health, if not for my sake, then for my mother who has been worrying herself to bits over it. I took your advice and spent the last few hours yesterday just walking around barefoot in the garden. If it didn't do me any good in the long-term, then at least I had a lovely stroll through our backyard. Unfortunately, I know of no one who has any psychic energies, or who give off strong auras. I've been considering reiki, but I'm not sure how it works and if it even applies to me. Your prayers, as always, are deeply appreciated.

Pietro, normally I'd agree with you on it being a great experience, but so far this whole thing has brought me nothing worry, vexation, confusion and guilt. I still don't even know if I should go to a friend, a doctor or a shrink. Maybe all three wouldn't hurt.

Onkara, thank you for your valuable observations. You know, it's perfectly all right to come out and say it: maybe I'm just imagining all of this, and in my desperation I'm trying to connect what I've been going through emotionally and physically with my perceived spiritual snag. I agree with trying to release unconscious stressors, but I almost have an inability to balance concentration with relaxation. For example, on a day-to-day basis I have been trying to improve my self-assertion, and I often find myself jumping ahead of this step, and going into a state of pure aggression. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground for my stressors. They either don't bother me in the slightest, or they send me spinning wildly out of control. I'm curious to know what led you to go from being terrified for your life at 19, to suddenly entering a state of pure equanimity. I've read about experiences like this before. Is it a kind of glimpse of samadhi?

Japa, mediation and exercise will serve you, but not if you are left feeling more drained than when you begun, perhaps you need some self pampering and love?

Funny thing is, I give myself more than enough "self-care" when I'm feeling drained, whether that's having a hot bath, long walk, playing soft music, engaging in my favourite hobbies, or going for a massage. I'm probably a little too self-indulgent, if anything.

Om namah Shivaya

Friend from the West
14 July 2011, 05:42 PM
Sunyata, I have no direct experience to try to help you with directly. I did find the below who offer online support. I do not know anything about them or rep., etc., but perhaps:
Kundalini Support Network (KSN)
SpiritusSanctuary @ gmail.com

From past tradition and do not know applicablity but show process respect and great patience. From past tradition we have talked about we would be told to just observe and keep on going but have feeling that is something different.
Sorry I could not be more helpful my friend. I am thinking of you.
Rich

NayaSurya
14 July 2011, 06:32 PM
Please forgive this humble assessment, the last thing I would want to do is offend. But I silently watched the Kundalini support network for about a year and I would not not not not reccomend them to a follower of SD. They have stripped down practices and at one point clearly stated that Shaktipat belong to no religion and despite the fact they continually used Beloved Mother's name...they said this was not a Deity and was belonging to everyone. They call it the "holy spirit".

When one was said to say "Om namah Shivaya" one came in and immediately said that these "Shaktipat" were not for a specific religious belief...though both of them are ministers in UU style church.

Then they have retreats where they teach private classes for money...some sort of qui gong which men could kill with force style moves from star wars movie.

Again, this is just my experience with watching them from a distance...as I would never allow such a Being to manipulate my own portion of this Divine Energy without being Kindred Kind.

Personally, after reading the constant messages to purchase massage from them in private sessions...I just departed silently.

Oki let me be clear here, what we are talking about is extremely offensive to the Precious Beings here on this forum...I would rather die than have them read what I am prepared to post about this group.

It's very dark and the one who runs it...very confused.

Beloved Beings, forgive this offensive discussion.

But this is something very important that every single westerner should be aware of as so they can avoid it.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/12712-ladies-only-witchs-lefthand-path-for-kundalini/page__st__72

This one that runs this above mentioned group posts very regularly about her exploits and "personal sessions".

Adhvagat
14 July 2011, 07:30 PM
Very silly.

Friend from the West
14 July 2011, 09:49 PM
NayaSurya and Pietro, namaste, thanks for this. Thanks to the souls here to help and prevent my lack of knowledge from causing harm to our dear friend. Sorry Sunyata that this is not helpful. NayaSurya and Pietro, thanks so much for the catch.

Arjuni
14 July 2011, 11:31 PM
Namasté, all,

Onkara, I too came close to death at 19, and experienced such a feeling of falling into a deep, smooth peace; everything you describe, I remember, with the difference that I did not possess the wisdom to pick myself up and make positive changes after. Not until many years later, anyway. But I do understand.

Sunyata, perhaps you are not imagining the effects you describe. Since earlier this year, when I became more serious about faith and undertook a forty-day sadhana at one point, I've experienced pelvic pain that the doctors cannot explain. PCOS and similar troubles were considered. I understand you regarding confusion and vexation.

Regarding Reiki, it is a relatively recent entry into the healing world, having surfaced in 1922. The founder, a Buddhist monk practicing his own sadhana on a sacred mountain, had a transcendental experience of a white light descending through his crown chakra into his body. He was able to heal with this force (the same 'ki' of qi gong) and pass it to others by transmitting the energy of his original experience. The energy has been passed down via practitioners by initiation rites known as attunements, and this is what is used to heal. At the third, or "master" level, one may attune others and also heal at distances, without necessarily knowing the "patient."

It's an interesting system, in that it is believed that seeking permission for healing is a great courtesy but not precisely necessary. A practitioner at the second or third level may heal at a distance, without touching, and so may simply send the energy out; it is the other person's aura that will "decide," on an esoteric level, whether to accept the energy or refuse it. While a questionable ethical belief, it is beneficial if trying to help a person in a coma or who is not otherwise able to verbally respond. At any rate, Reiki is used to heal energy imbalances and emotional disturbances, but is also useful for the control of pain; I was once fortunate to work in a hospital that offered this service to their patients free of charge, coordinated by volunteers.

Reiki was also a part of my spiritual journey. If you wish to try it you are free to message me. I received the master attunement five years ago.

If nothing else, one of their prayers might help just today feel a little better:

"At least for today:
Do not be angry,
Do not worry,
Be grateful,
Work with diligence,
Be kind to people."

The "at least for today" part helps to make even the tallest order, seem a little more bearable.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Onkara
15 July 2011, 03:51 AM
Onkara, thank you for your valuable observations. You know, it's perfectly all right to come out and say it: maybe I'm just imagining all of this, and in my desperation I'm trying to connect what I've been going through emotionally and physically with my perceived spiritual snag. ......(cut for space)

Funny thing is, I give myself more than enough "self-care" when I'm feeling drained...

Om namah Shivaya

Sunyata,
I am so pleased you are caring for your self and that my rather dry English humour regarding the Duracell wasn't misunderstood as rather dry English sarcasm (which it was not). :o The point is that change is good and natural, including the sense of depression. It is unpleasant but having seen the light at the end of the tunnel in depression, I think it is something spiritual and natural which will make us stronger.

It sounds as if you are doing all the correct things. You know yourself better than anyone else so expressing that opening, with loved ones specifically, is going to make the change and progress bare positive fruit.

Bakunin said "a destructive urge is a creative one", meaning for anything to change for the better the old has to be given up, wiped away or just removed. This is something I have experienced more than once, quite often at the most unexpected times, where I have had to accept the "student has become a man", for example.

Everything is spiritual, even the most mundane material events. That is the value that Sanatana Dharma (SD) has led me to conclude at this point. So each emotion, thought and mood swing is a part of the cosmic whole and as such cannot be separated from the divine. What SD has also shown me is that there is a place where we can rest and simply witness even our own ups and downs, knowing that the observer is not affected. This is what I felt that night and feel sure we all can relate to it today. :)

Namast&#233;, all,

Onkara, I too came close to death at 19, and experienced such a feeling of falling into a deep, smooth peace; everything you describe, I remember, with the difference that I did not possess the wisdom to pick myself up and make positive changes after. Not until many years later, anyway. But I do understand.
Thank you for sharing this personal experience, Indraneela. I am sure my own is humble and foolish in comparison. It is not something I wish to dwell too much on for that reason that I give it little importance now, but I hoped in sharing something personal experience rather than bookish-knowledge in this instance, I could share something a little bit more practical than usual. :)

I am intrigued that you also experienced this and all events add to build a bigger path. It took me a few years.

I wish you both well.

Onkara
15 July 2011, 08:57 AM
Please forgive this humble assessment, the last thing I would want to do is offend. But I silently watched the Kundalini support network for about a year and I would not not not not reccomend them to a follower of SD. (cut for space)
Dear NayaSurya
On a side note, anyone who has taken a moment to read your posts will know you make every effort to bring out the positive in the negative :) I feel there is value in sharing what the Beloved has shown us.

Nothing is resistant to the truth. God is omnipresent, timeless and truth. The divine can pierce the coldest of hearts and guide the most lost soul, as the Divine is always present, even if we are distracted or choose to look the other way. This is the reason that Truth cannot be bought or held back at a price.

Thanks for sharing what you know :)

sunyata07
15 July 2011, 05:04 PM
Thank you for the help, everyone. I do appreciate all your kind efforts at giving me advice and sharing with me your experiences that let me know I'm not alone. At the end of a long working day, they really are a great source of comfort to me.

Indraneela, your post just reminded me of something important I had overlooked until this moment. My memory is probably unreliable, but either I had just completed a forty-day japa to Shiva, or I was just in the middle of one (after having not performed serious meditation in quite a while). Each night, I tried focusing very intently on the third eye. I saw what many others have described before as a lightning flash in between the brows. It's not the first time I've seen it, but I have been seeing it more and more often since last year. Unless I am halucinating as well these days, I am able to envision things better now than I first did when I began meditation three years ago. Thanks for that concise history on Reiki. I've wondered what qualifies one to be a master healer, and one a novice. I certainly I'm dubious as to whether I should invest in 100 odd euros in a therapy I've never gone to before to people I don't even know are adequately trained to pass on the healing effects of their chi/ki. That prayer is really something quite achievable, I agree. I'll have to write it down on my calendar or something.

Everything is spiritual, even the most mundane material events. That is the value that Sanatana Dharma (SD) has led me to conclude at this point. So each emotion, thought and mood swing is a part of the cosmic whole and as such cannot be separated from the divine. What SD has also shown me is that there is a place where we can rest and simply witness even our own ups and downs, knowing that the observer is not affected. This is what I felt that night and feel sure we all can relate to it today. :)

I share your feelings on this. I find it hard to view anything these days as seperate from the higher Truth taught within SD. The reminder that one is not the doer of deeds in BG is comforting for this reason, sometimes. Renounce the ownership of your actions and their effects, and just be the silent watcher. Nothing is lost or gained.

Om namah Shivaya

sm78
28 September 2011, 09:16 AM
Namaste Mana,

Thank you. I do believe strongly that when a couple enters together into sexual union that a psychic connection is established between them. It's the reason why so much heartache is experienced after a relationship breaks down and once intimate partners must go their separate ways - it will follow them onto the next relationship they create, and so on, spinning out a karmic web of confused energies. I understand the need for abstinence in a spiritual aspirant's life. I just don't think sexual intimacy need be a hindrance to it, either. I think this is what they refer to when life stages are spoken of in Hinduism, where one may go through being a student, then a householder, and then a renunciate, etc.

Om namah Shivaya

*bump*

What you say may be true. My guru said emotional entanglement results in entrapment of vayu in the heart. Most of us regularly trap air in chest and end up breathing heavily when angry or emotionally hurt – which may take minutes, hours, days to normalize depending on the person. For deeper relationships this can last lifetimes. However as u have indicated, it is not just having relationships, but unusually not having them that is also dangerous. All problems arise either of over use of faculties or attempting to starve them to death. Balance is the key word. Most people cannot be happy without love from a woman/man, healthy amount of sex, happiness from having children, love from parents etc etc. One cannot hope to understand existence and gain self knowledge in misery. This is my belief.

Sahasranama
28 September 2011, 09:52 AM
It is interesting that you mention that emotional entanglement is caused by vayu trapped in the heart.

I have noticed that sadness and depression be removed easily from worshipping Narasimha.

Narasimha is pictured here ripping open the chest (heart region) of Hiranyakashipu. What causes attachment, Hiranyakashipu (hiranya=gold, kashipu=bed).

That what gives lasting happiness is that what gives ahlada (happiness) to Prahlada.

http://imageshack.us/m/840/2501/jwala20narasimhar.jpg