PDA

View Full Version : The Sacred Om

PatrickMB
15 June 2011, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this topic; I hope it's okay.

I am fairly new to studying Hinduism and Indian philosophy. I have to say, however, that the Om symbol is the most beautiful, inspiring religious symbol I have ever seen. I'm not even sure why it strikes me so. But I find it magnificent.

Om Hari Om!

saidevo
15 June 2011, 10:07 PM
namaste Patrick.

Check this post for an explanation of AUM at some levels:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=496

For an even more elaboration, check:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2661

Lilla555
11 July 2011, 11:18 AM
Hi Eveyone,

I wanted your opinion on a situation that I encountered the other day - I drove into a Shell station to get some gas-- the attendant who was a Sikh started to yell, curse and threaten me b/c of an om decal on the backbumper ofmycar.

He said that god is in the inside and the om should b in the front and inside of the car. He also threatened totake my money and kept saying "this isn't over!"

I apologized profusely explaining that as a Buddhist, imeant no disrespect.

I honestly do not understand what this was about.

Is there any validity to this man's hostile reaction?

I would really like some input.

Thanks

PatrickMB
12 July 2011, 08:32 AM
Oh my Gosh! I know next-to-nothing about Sikhs. I don't know if this fellow was mentally unbalanced or what. My advice is to never go back to that station!

I hope that someone in this community can give you sound information. All I can give you is my sympathy.

Jainarayan
12 July 2011, 09:02 AM
All the Sikhs I've ever known have been the most polite and gentle people you could meet, including the pain mangement doctor I saw after my back surgery. He told me I am a nice person! He is so nice, I regret not needing to see him anymore.

Though I guess there is an exception to every rule; every group has its loose cannons. Sorry you had that encounter. As to the proper way to display the Holy OM, I can't address that. Maybe he felt that it was too near the tailpipe? I have OM tattooed on my right shoulder and have been complimented by Hindus.

At any rate, he should not have berated you. A simple " my dear, please don't display OM in that location because..."

Nastiness is never called for.

zenvicky
12 July 2011, 09:11 AM
Namaste,

I am yet to see any religious symbol on the either bumper in India...yes, this is a kind of disrespect, all religious thing/deities/symbols should be granted a higher place. Most common place in India of placing OM symbol on car is upper mid part of front windscreen & back windscreen, just below the rubber.

Om

Eastern Mind
12 July 2011, 11:10 AM
Vannakkam Lilla: There are so many cultural nuances that take getting used to. This is also further complicated by the fact that each individual can be different as to whats disrespectful or not, depending on sect, area of India, and all that. For me, if he was upset, then I'd apologise, oblige and promise to have the bumper sticker removed. For most people this is sufficient, but not all. Some don't take ignorance as an excuse.

I think many of us have made similar mistakes. I certainly have. Here are a few examples I've done and had to be corrected, depending on who witnessed my action.
... sitting cross legged
... dropping a flower and picking it back up
... setting flowers on temple steps
... using wrong fingers to make offerings at a havan
... pointing feet at altars
... starting eating before saying a food blessing

I'm sure there are lots more but I'm an old man with memory fading ... just shake it off and live and learn. Maybe our Indian friends can help compile a longer list.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
12 July 2011, 11:21 AM
Namaste EM.

Here are a few examples I've done and had to be corrected, depending on who witnessed my action.
... sitting cross legged
... dropping a flower and picking it back up

So those are wrong? Or you didn't do that and was told to do it?

... setting flowers on temple steps
... using wrong fingers to make offerings at a havan
... pointing feet at altars
... starting eating before saying a food blessing

I know feet pointing to an altar or deity is a no-no, as is touching something with them; the index finger is said to be negative energy and not to be used in doing japa; I guess flowers on a temples' steps could be trampled on?

I think there's a list of doos and don'ts somewhere on the site.

Eastern Mind
12 July 2011, 11:32 AM
Vannakkam Minotaur: Sorry. Sitting cross legged on floor is fine. Its crossing your legs while sitting on a chair that isn't. The flower thing is you just don't offer it if you drop it . You also don't ever pick up flowers that have fallen naturally to the ground to make as offerings. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
12 July 2011, 11:36 AM
OK thanks, that all makes sense.

sunyata07
12 July 2011, 12:09 PM
Its crossing your legs while sitting on a chair that isn't.

Hmm... I seem to do this a lot. :o Would you mind explaining the reason for not continuing this habit, EM?

Om namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
12 July 2011, 12:43 PM
Hmm... I seem to do this a lot. :o Would you mind explaining the reason for not continuing this habit, EM?

Om namah Shivaya

Vannakkam: It is deemed impolite, looks like a dog, looks arrogant, just like crossing your arms. Too relaxed in 'proper' society. I know of no mystical reason. I do it a lot too. My wife will nudge me sometimes to uncross.

Another one is carrying children on your shoulders ... considered a place where asuras ride, so your child looks like an asura.

Now all this may be very ethnocentric to Sri Lankan Tamils, or South Indian people I've met. I really don't know. The nuances do vary from place to place. Like the earlier one of making offerings to havans or homas. I know it varies, because I've been 'corrected' twice.

Maybe an analogy is the 100 ways to drape a sari. As you travel through India, stopping at inns along the way, each host gets you to readjust it to the 'right' way, meaning the local way. I wish I had a few lifetimes to travel about and study it all up.

Aum Namasivaya

zenvicky
12 July 2011, 12:47 PM
Namaste EMji: Its crossing your legs while sitting on a chair that isn't.

It is pendulous movements of your legs more than crossing them while sitting on chair. when I was a child, I was instantly scolded for doing this from elders and parents.

Aum

Eastern Mind
12 July 2011, 01:04 PM
Vannakkam: Another link to a discussion on it.. http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110407215930AAbzaLg

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
12 July 2011, 02:42 PM
Vannakkam: Another link to a discussion on it.. http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110407215930AAbzaLg

Aum Namasivaya

This maybe?

I don't know about Indian culture but I know the Muslims in the Middle East consider it a great insult if you cross your legs so your foot is facing someone.

With legs crossed, the foot is either pointing at someone, or the bottom is exposed to that person. That is kind of rude. Then there is the issue if sitting in close proximity to each other, in moving your foot or leg your foot might touch the other person. Also rude. Just my guesses on what I'm learning about non-western etiquette and courtesy.

Lilla555
16 July 2011, 12:18 PM
Thank you everyone for your response, I really appreciate it.
I don't dont mean to plea ignorance, but I am begining to understand the sikh's strong feelings now- thanks to all of you. It's actual placement is on the lowerright part of a hatchback door, not exactly on the bumper- but not exactly in the best spot I guess. I have a small Honda fit and there's very little real estate to work with.
Anyway, I will remove the symbol, as I promised the Sikh, and try to find a more respectful location.

Yet another life lesson.

Thank you, thank you all :)

Lilla

yajvan
17 July 2011, 11:20 AM

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

One may find this string useful - Customs and traditions :
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3656&highlight=rituals

praṇām

Eastern Mind
17 July 2011, 12:25 PM

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

One may find this string useful - Customs and traditions :
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3656&highlight=rituals

praṇām

Vannakkam: I knew that thread was around here somewhere. These old threads are about as elusive as the Self. :mad: Thank you.

Aum Namasivaya