PDA

View Full Version : Getting a feeling for Shiva

Rudy
16 June 2011, 09:18 PM
As someone new to worship I'm trying to build a relationship with Shiva, getting an emotional conection. Right now I don't have much of one. How did you build one?

Thanks for any advice :)

Onkara
17 June 2011, 03:25 AM
As someone new to worship I'm trying to build a relationship with Shiva, getting an emotional conection. Right now I don't have much of one. How did you build one?

Namsté Ruby
I suggest reading and japa above all. You could listen and practice His 108 names, for example.

If you enjoy philosophy then try to read the Śvetāśvatara Upanishad (http://www.celextel.org/108upanishads/svetasvatara.html) for example, or if you prefer something lighter consider the Purunas (if you can find a good copy, that is the problem I find).

Listen to Shiva mantra and bhajan, sing His name, feel him in your chest. Meditate on his form or his teaching.

Share your experiences with us or others who also love Him.

I look forward to others responses and I too have considered this same question and have much to learn. :)

NayaSurya
17 June 2011, 05:32 AM
My Love for Shiva is like a campfire burning brightly. It's burning forever...and often times, One of us comes along and takes a great stick and kindles that fire even higher.

Beloved Shiva and I have a very personal relationship. I called out to Him as my children were born...with tears in my eyes I gave thanks for His Beautiful Wondrous Gifts.

For it was only at that moment that I understood why I was here...the desire to share this Love.

It remind me of my own Mother, so poor upon a dusty, sunlit floor in her childhood. She took rusty scissors and cut from paper sacks three dolly's of paper...naming them each a name. One of them, my own.

She loved those dolls so wholly, that nearly two decades later, I became real.

As I pulled these children from my own body, I did know the full circle of this Love...and the origin so wonderfully.

Coming here to share this story kindles the fire this morning so brightly Beloved Surya had to come dampen it for my own well being. As the sun rises over the hill...I am kindled yet again.

Hari Om Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
17 June 2011, 07:27 AM
Vannakkam Rudy: Of the three main Gods (Siva, Murugan, and Ganesha) in the version of Hinduism I adhere to, Siva is the toughest to do that with. Certainly, for me, Nataraja was the easiest, as He represents the Primal soul, and can become more like a father figure. Its true that Siva is everywhere, but ... that's just a philosophical concept until you can feel it.

One of Ganesha's jobs is to lead you to Siva. So it is easier from my POV to contact, and relate to Ganesha first. There is less of a veil between where he is and we are in worlds, or consciousness. If you can establish a great relationship with Ganesha first, Siva will more naturally flow into the picture.

Just to illustrate where Murugan falls into the picture, He's the God of renunciation, of yoga, of penance, and is waiting for you when the soul is ready for that final push to moksha, however many lifetimes that may be.

Personally, I would toss out the books. But that's just my take. I think if I were in a position without a temple, I'd create one. In fact, friends and I did way back when. We walked in a park, and picked out the base of a tree as 'the place'. Then each day, or once a week at least, we would 'pilgrimage' to that very spot, take a flower or offering, and stand or sit for a moment there. After a short time, a vibration built up, and it helped bring us closer each time we took that path. Pilgrimage means 'drop the world for a moment' and focus on God.

Just an idea.

Aum Namasivaya

Onkara
17 June 2011, 07:48 AM
Vannakkam Rudy: Of the three main Gods (Siva, Murugan, and Ganesha) in the version of Hinduism I adhere to, Siva is the toughest to do that with. Certainly, for me, Nataraja was the easiest, as He represents the Primal soul, and can become more like a father figure. Its true that Siva is everywhere, but ... that's just a philosophical concept until you can feel it.

One of Ganesha's jobs is to lead you to Siva. So it is easier from my POV to contact, and relate to Ganesha first. There is less of a veil between where he is and we are in worlds, or consciousness. If you can establish a great relationship with Ganesha first, Siva will more naturally flow into the picture.

Just to illustrate where Murugan falls into the picture, He's the God of renunciation, of yoga, of penance, and is waiting for you when the soul is ready for that final push to moksha, however many lifetimes that may be.

Personally, I would toss out the books. But that's just my take. I think if I were in a position without a temple, I'd create one. In fact, friends and I did way back when. We walked in a park, and picked out the base of a tree as 'the place'. Then each day, or once a week at least, we would 'pilgrimage' to that very spot, take a flower or offering, and stand or sit for a moment there. After a short time, a vibration built up, and it helped bring us closer each time we took that path. Pilgrimage means 'drop the world for a moment' and focus on God.

Just an idea.

Aum Namasivaya
Vannakkam
As for the books, I agree and find this comes down to our svabhava (nature). I find worship more challenging than jñana.

I would like to ask if there is any guides on starting one's own temple that you know of? I don't consider myself bold enough to start one, but I have wondered what is required and if there are any ceremonies or procedures involved. Perhaps you and others have posted a lot on this already, if not perhaps it is a topic for a new thread. :)

Eastern Mind
17 June 2011, 08:09 AM
Vannakkam
As for the books, I agree and find this comes down to our svabhava (nature). I find worship more challenging than jñana.

I would like to ask if there is any guides on starting one's own temple that you know of? I don't consider myself bold enough to start one, but I have wondered what is required and if there are any ceremonies or procedures involved. Perhaps you and others have posted a lot on this already, if not perhaps it is a topic for a new thread. :)

Vannakkam Onkara: In my experience both from watching and participating with the one here right from development, and reading histories of others, there is more than one way.

Some, like ISKCON, are started from an umbrella group when it sees the need. Others start with a simple small satsang group that grows over time. It might start at someone's house, move to a rented space, then eventually get so large that a temple is built.

Yet others are built by an individual family, or priest family, or cultural (usually an Indian province, like the Andhra Association of _____) groups.

I'd say there are many factors, with the key being heavy devotion by a few people.

Aum Namasivaya

Mana
17 June 2011, 09:58 AM

Namasté Rudy

Might I ask why if you don't already feel a connection with Shiva you choose him over so many other beautiful Gods?

My connection came from seeing his cosmic dance.

Aum Shiva.

NayaSurya
17 June 2011, 11:35 AM
I think if I were in a position without a temple, I'd create one. In fact, friends and I did way back when. We walked in a park, and picked out the base of a tree as 'the place'. Then each day, or once a week at least, we would 'pilgrimage' to that very spot, take a flower or offering, and stand or sit for a moment there. After a short time, a vibration built up, and it helped bring us closer each time we took that path.

Aum Namasivaya

So very very true, even in our own homes. So many times a visitor or relative would come into my home, set back and say..."I do not understand this and I know you will think it strange, but your home feels so good. I am so calm I wanna take a nap!"

I really didn't understand this until coming to this forum as I was ignorant how devotion, mantra and simple bhakti transforms the vibration of an area.

And also, in reguards to my prior post here, I read back and think about the emotion this morning as I was posting and it probably didn't make much of an answer. But, what I was trying to convey was how talking to Shiva, Singing with a heart full of love...mantra...simple service to others. All of these things are such goodly ways to kindle the fire.

Eastern Mind
17 June 2011, 12:11 PM
So many times a visitor or relative would come into my home, set back and say..."I do not understand this and I know you will think it strange, but your home feels so good. I am so calm I wanna take a nap!"

Vannakkam: Yes, yes. I'm so amazed that others can pick up on it. Even people who you would never think.. but the opposite is true too. People can feel the negative vibes as well, and some will feel nothing of course. Gosh, all embodied souls are so very different ... yet the same too. :)

Mystically, when you sit in a chair, do a puja, etc. you always leave auric remnants. Bits of subtle prana are left behind everywhere you go ... all the time. With worship and concentration, the 'bits' are larger and more intense with energy.

Aum Namasivaya

Rudy
17 June 2011, 04:24 PM
Well this is kind of emberrassing I thought Shiva and Nataraja were the same God, whoops.

And to answer you Mana: this is kind of hard to explain but... I chose Shiva because I agree with a lot of parts of Hinduism it is all so beautiful and makes sense to me, I'm not very good at meditating, and I have a strong longing to connect with a personal God, but I don't know how and maybe it was a dumb (my dumbness) impatient choice to choose Shiva.

I don't know where this leaves me. I hope I didn't mess up to bad, I don't know.

I keep saying I want to start something, but am I even ready?:dunno:

NayaSurya
17 June 2011, 04:40 PM
Shiva is many many names Beloved Portion, many many and all of them are He.

You are here, and you already asking...so I think yes you are very ready or you would not be to this point to say...hmm...I want to know God's name.

Many years ago, I was in your place I pray very hard to know God's Beautiful Name and one day...quite by accident...there He was!

Beloved, think of all these others around you..just swimming down the easy current and not even asking these questions. Do not doubt you have found us, and this conversation for no reason.

Many times I see how simple faith in ones own path is so crucial to continuing progress upon that direction...

Although I can not give you this faith in yourself, I hope tonight my humble respite at your feet will hearten you.

Strive on<3

Eastern Mind
17 June 2011, 04:43 PM
Vannakkam Rudy: Nataraja is Siva. Absolutely! It is the form of Siva that represents the Primal Soul Dancing the universe along. Sorry. I should have been clearer. Nataraja was the first depiction of Siva that Really caught my attention.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
17 June 2011, 05:15 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Let me offer the wisdom that we find in the vijñāna bhairava āgama ( and I find most valuable) :

… śaivī-mukhaṃ ichocyate || 20

śakti ( which is śaivī) is the mouth (mukhaṃ) or entrance ichocyate (it is explained , ucyate or explained)

This sūtra informs us śakti is the entrance…. but to what?

The 21st sūtra informs us completely¹.
yathālokena dīpasya kiraṇair-bhāskarasya ca|
jñāyate dig-vibhāgāadi tadvac chatyā śivaḥ priye || 21

Just as parts of space are known by the light of a lamp
or the rays of the sun, in the same way O Dear One
Śiva is known through Śakti.

praṇām

words and references

Vijñāna bhairava - the conversation between śakti and śiva. This is from the rudrayāmala tantra.
Vijñāna is vi+jñāna: vi is to discern, distinction + jñāna is wisdom, knowledge.
Bhairava - more in-depth explaination of bhairava can be found at this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17892&postcount=52

Arjuni
17 June 2011, 05:29 PM
Namasté, all.

Rudy, I have a few thoughts to share with you regarding your original question, and I hope they help.

I'm fond of analogies, so here's one to help explain: imagine that you have an older brother, who is like you in some ways and unlike you in others. Your parents might call him Robert; you might call him Robby; his wife might know him as Bob, and your little cousin might call him Bobby, and he'll answer all of you when you call him.
Not only will he have different names and pet-names to all of you, but you'll all relate to him a little differently, seeing different sides of him. His wife might never believe that her clean-cut husband is the same boy who used to make mud-pies with you. And no matter how much he dresses up, you might never stop seeing him as that muddy, grubby kid who hated baths.
Finally, he'll surprise you sometimes. The first time you go through a breakup, you'll be impressed that he actually listens calmly and gives you some pretty good advice. When you see him hold his first child, you'll see a tender, paternal side to him that you never knew existed.

Our Shiva is like this. (All Devas are.)

People who need compassion and love might call to Shiva as Ashutosh (the one who is easily pleased) or Bholenath (the kind-hearted Lord); those who seek protection from danger or are afraid of disease or pain, may be comforted by him as Ugra (the terrible) or Mrityunjaya (the conqueror of death). Some worship him in the form of the Shivling or as the beautiful image of Ardhanarishvara (half-Shiva/half Shakti) or as the entrancing Nataraja dancing in flames. They call to Him with prayer, meditation, japa, addressed to many names, many forms, and Shiva hears them all.

Back to the analogy: our relationships with people aren't formed overnight. Even if your family gave you a big brother named Robby, you didn't bond with him the moment you two met in this world; you can't fully understand the complexity of one person right away. Also, you don't always approach people for the same reasons. Your brother might be a master carpenter, but you're not going to ask Robby for carpentry help when you actually need to borrow money or get a ride to work. Finally, you'll see different sides of people as you spend more time with them in different situations: if you bring your brother a broken table and ask him to fix it, you'll see a serious, professional aspect of him, and your interaction will be business-like rather than playful or loving.

Nataraja, the Cosmic Dancer, is a powerful and astonishing form of Lord Shiva, but not an easy one to get to know quickly. Try to imagine a dance by which creation and destruction flow...I know I can't do it; I can't even imagine the first step. And if I can't fathom the dance, I know it'll be tough to understand the Dancer!

Onkara's advice to you to look up the 108 names of Shiva is really good. By reading about Shiva's many powers, attributes, and glories, you'll learn more about who he is as a personified Deva. You'll know better how to approach him. You'll have different names to call him.

My own advice to you is simply this: know that your bond with Shiva, or any other Deva, will happen when you work on it, just as you would a relationship with a sibling, parent, or significant other. Call to him whenever you can. If you come home from a rotten day, remember that Shiva is the father of Murugan and Ganesha, and he's a loving father who understands and listens. Even your frustration with reaching Shiva can be shared with Shiva, who is the great master of yoga and understands how difficult and annoying a spiritual journey can be! He is a clever teacher, a wise expert who can guide you, and also a friend, who is patient, forgiving, and caring, who is widely known for being pleased with even the smallest remembrance or offering.

Read his names, call to him as a friend, father, teacher, inspiration, or in whatever role you feel most comfortable seeing him, and as you grow closer to him, that beautiful feeling of love and devotion will grow stronger.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Rudy
17 June 2011, 08:48 PM
Indraneela: What you just said was great:). After you said that I was able to go to my shrine and do japa in an unforced way. I don't have to pretend to know Him I'll just have to each day try to reach out to Him and He will reach back.

I'll just have to have faith that I'm reaching Him.

Mana
19 June 2011, 03:58 PM
And to answer you Mana: this is kind of hard to explain but... I chose Shiva because I agree with a lot of parts of Hinduism it is all so beautiful and makes sense to me, I'm not very good at meditating, and I have a strong longing to connect with a personal God, but I don't know how and maybe it was a dumb (my dumbness) impatient choice to choose Shiva.

Namasté Rudy

You certainly didn't mess up!

Take your time.

Iain

Aum Shiva.

Onkara
07 July 2011, 03:11 PM
Just as parts of space are known by the light of a lamp
or the rays of the sun, in the same way O Dear One
Śiva is known through Śakti.

Namasté
Should we then worship Shakti or can we go straight to Shiva?

WTyler
07 July 2011, 03:42 PM
I have found that when I want to get closer to god, I sing. It sounds silly, but meditating "cold" is often difficult.

A good asana, or even a nice jog clears the mind for devotion--but also singing. Try singing a few tunes to Shiva before meditating upon him and doing japa on his name.

As far as going to straight to Shiva--Shakti could be used--or do japa to his son and gate keeper, Ganesh before praying upon Shiv.

Also look at his pictures! Read stories! There are many amazing stories about Shiva out there!

Good luck.