PDA

View Full Version : Namaste

Amala
23 June 2011, 12:14 PM
LOL I must've just scrolled right on by this part! :-) I posted a bunch of things and missed this.

Namaste HDF members,

I'm so thrilled to be continuing to immerse myself in these concepts and hope to share the path with other bhaktis (devotees - See? I read the sticky! :D ). (I don't deserve the label saadhakaa (adept), yet.)

I lived with Hindus for 4 years and their ways got into me. I began to wear the clothes, cook the food, and ask questions about how they became so beautifully compassionate and warm and caring. Then one day I heard a recording of the RigVeda being sung. I nearly fell out of my chair. I believe in the kundalini yoga concept that the sounds impact our thinking. I thought that to be able to create those sounds would be life-altering. But I was studying Arabic at the time. A year later, the teacher came and I dropped Arabic completely. The teacher said that he has taken it upon himself to teach me Sanskrit. Even though I've already achieved my original goal, I continue to study. And the more the language study shows me about Hinduism ... sanatana dharma... the deeper I find it within.

So now, I am a student of Sanskrit (sanskr.ta in keeping with correct pronunciation). I have been studying intensely under a great teacher for the past 9 months. We meet for several hours at a time sometimes as many as 5 times/week. I am learning to sing the Gita (giitaa). I have about 11 s'lokas memorized and apparently can reproduce the sounds as well as an Indian, so say the several Indian sanskrit scholars who have heard me. I'm not tooting my own horn - I really can't see what they mean. I offer that solely for others' benefit. My vocabulary and grammar are very limited, but as for the sounds, that is my seva for anyone who needs advice in that regard.

As for the rest of it... learning puja, finding my ishta (is.t.a) and connecting with a community for learning and mutual sharing, that's what I hope HDF will help me with.

All the best,
With blessings,
Om s'aanti: s'aanti: s'aanti:

Amala

sunyata07
23 June 2011, 01:02 PM
Namaste Amala,

Welcome to the forum. Interesting to read about your background and how you came about interested in Sanatana Dharma through the Sanskrit language and recitation of the scriptures. I'm also studying Sanskrit, but I haven't the great fortune of being able to be taught under a teacher. But I'm a lover of languages and Sanskrit has continued to awe and amaze me so much that I'm now determined to learn it for myself. That's really kind of you to be offering help on pronunciation with other students here. We've had a few topics on sound variations and on correct pronunciation.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy yourself here and will derive much benefit from your time spent on the forums. Look forward to reading your posts.

Om namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
23 June 2011, 01:35 PM
Vannakkam Amala: I hope you find more knowledge here than you'd ever dreamed of. Perhaps. Perhaps not. Welcome.

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
23 June 2011, 11:28 PM
Namaste Amala,

Welcome to HDF. You definitely have an interesting background, and hopefully you will learn more here.

Jai Sri Ram

Obelisk
24 June 2011, 02:06 AM
Namaste Amala,

Welcome to HDF. Nice to meet you, looking forward to see you participating in discussions! :)

Amala
27 June 2011, 10:04 AM
Thank you all for your welcomes! :) I hope I will add to the site's threads in a way that is enhancing for others, even if only to ask an interesting question.

Om s'aanti: s'aanti: s'aanti: