PDA

View Full Version : new Banner?

satay
24 June 2011, 02:50 PM
Namaste,

I have been thinking of changing the banner of HDF i.e. the picture you see at the top of the site. However, I am not very artistic and don't know how to make a nice logo. If you want to share with me your ideas, please post the pics here.

I really like Sahas' signature logo but that's his signature logo... :) so something similar would be cool.

any ideas?

NayaSurya
24 June 2011, 03:01 PM
What an awesome idea<3

devotee
24 June 2011, 06:45 PM
Namaste,

I have been thinking of changing the banner of HDF i.e. the picture you see at the top of the site. However, I am not very artistic and don't know how to make a nice logo. If you want to share with me your ideas, please post the pics here.

I really like Sahas' signature logo but that's his signature logo... :) so something similar would be cool.

any ideas?

Nice Idea ! :)

OM

yajvan
24 June 2011, 07:46 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

If I were re-doing the banner I'd think of a few things:

Is there a design that graphically depicts the essence of HDF? Can it be captured ?
Keeping it simple - easy to view, not busy
Elegant but not formal - keeping the dignity of HDF
Sanātana dharma centric
Now perhaps we can find the components, then assemble the artwork into a banner/graphic. Perhaps this a possible approach?

praṇām

devotee
24 June 2011, 10:42 PM
As I gather, we have quite a few members here who have artistic mindset. They can definitely help create a good design within the parameters suggested by Yajvan.

OM

Ganeshprasad
25 June 2011, 03:40 PM
Pranam Satay

If you are looking to include caption to go with the logo, may be you might want to consider, satyam-eva jayate सत्यमेव जयते) (Sanskrit: "Truth Alone Triumphs" or asato ma sadgamaya-----or in keeping with the dignity of HDF Let us hear and speak that which is auspicious Om bhadram karne-bhih srunuyama devah -----

Jai Shree Krishna

Jainarayan
25 June 2011, 04:07 PM
Pranam Satay

... satyam-eva jayate सत्यमेव जयते) (Sanskrit: "Truth Alone Triumphs" ...

That's a nice quote. Maybe other colors, and a background and different fonts. Just an idea.

Sanātana Dharma Forums
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Om.svg/50px-Om.svg.png सत्यमेव जयते http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Om.svg/50px-Om.svg.png
Truth Alone Triumps

Adhvagat
25 June 2011, 05:04 PM
Satay, I'm not too shabby with graphic design, I can try something out.

It seems you want something more traditional, my style however would tend more towards a collage of photos and/or paintings and quote and title with an ethereal feel, most probably still using still blue and orange as the pallete.

satay
25 June 2011, 06:28 PM
namaste,
I was thinking it to be a strip of pictures of god(s) with an OM in the center or 'agni' in the center. I also want to incoroprate flag of india or a saffron flag of hinduism in the logo but not sure exactly how this will all look.

Did I say I am not artistic. :p Right part of my brain is almost dead. :)

charitra
25 June 2011, 06:40 PM
namaste,
I was thinking it to be a strip of pictures of god(s) with an OM in the center or 'agni' in the center. I also want to incoroprate flag of india or a saffron flag of hinduism in the logo but not sure exactly how this will all look.

Namaste Satey,
take your time and mull over it for a few weeks and if possible post the logos here and let everyone see and take their opinions as well. Putting a flag of one nation in my opinion is restrictive and even offensive to some, myself Iam a naturalized american citizen. Religion crosses all barriers. More importantly this is the future faith of all lands, and i am not kidding.;)

Eastern Mind
25 June 2011, 06:58 PM
Vannakkam Satay et al: Satay, whatever you decide is absolutely fine with me. For me, its by far the content of this place that's important. It could be all just blank, and drab looking. The looks are secondary. I'm fine with the one we have now as well. Whatever the site looks like, we'll still have this diversity of wonderful views.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
25 June 2011, 07:53 PM
Namasté, all,

Satay, Charitra, it doesn't have to be a modern flag of India. Many designs were suggested over the years.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bHIDGwZ6i50/S8qOE9pXAhI/AAAAAAAAACQ/zDx_rGKMhkE/s200/scan0012.jpg

Of course, I might be a little biased in preferring that one. :D

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Adhvagat
25 June 2011, 11:09 PM
namaste,

Put me in some kind of administrative job, specially if it involves micromanagement... Watch me have a nervous breakdown!

Only God is 100&#37;, right? :)

On a serious note, you just inspired me with the description of what you want. Do you have any specific images in mind? Send them to me if you have.

sunyata07
26 June 2011, 08:54 AM
Namaste,

It sounds like a really nice idea. I'm definitely eager to see what some of our more creative members will be able to come up with! :)

Om namah Shivaya

satay
26 June 2011, 01:38 PM
namaste,

I don't have any specific images in mind but I did a search on google images of 'hindu gods' and it came up with tons of images. A strip made up of Durga, Shiva, Krishna, Rama, Ganesha, Hanuman would just do fine I think. Also, if you do a search for 'hindu saffron flag' google images comes up with a number of flag. Maybe the saffron could be background of the strip? or on one side there could be a saffron flag and on the other side of the strip could be indian flag?

Please email me karmic_hindu@yahoo.com. I can also pay your for your effrot.

Put me in some kind of administrative job, specially if it involves micromanagement... Watch me have a nervous breakdown!

Only God is 100%, right? :)

On a serious note, you just inspired me with the description of what you want. Do you have any specific images in mind? Send them to me if you have.

Jainarayan
26 June 2011, 08:34 PM
namaste,
A strip made up of Durga, Shiva, Krishna, Rama, Ganesha, Hanuman would just do fine I think. Also, if you do a search for 'hindu saffron flag' google images comes up with a number of flag. Maybe the saffron could be background of the strip?

Sounds great. Can't wait to see a rough draft. It could also include OM (devanagari script, of course), maybe in the center, symbolizing the center of all.

or on one side there could be a saffron flag and on the other side of the strip could be indian flag?

I don't think the national flag is a good idea. I think it sends a signal that Hinduism is Indo-centric, or an Indians-only club. The direction of many posts is that Hinduism is pan-human and transcends time and space and national borders.

I understand the pride in India, but I think it might discourage a non-Indian who is newly embracing Hinduism. Because Hinduism is a faith, theology and lifestyle, I think it would better to focus on that and not add a national icon, i.e. a national flag.

Eastern Mind
26 June 2011, 08:51 PM
Vannakkam: I think the Indian flag would be totally appropriate. India spawned Hinduism, and it spread from there. Today there is a diaspora, yes, but India is the Motherland of all Hindus. For those of us outside of her, we yearn to return home, even if we weren't born there. I think every Hindu owes it to himself or herself to pilgrimage Home at least once in their lifetime. it really is an eye-opener as Hinduism just permeates everything. Some 98% of all Hindus on the planet live in India.

I think its like the difference between seeing a war on TV, or being in one.

But once again, whatever the owner of the site decides is fine by me.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
26 June 2011, 09:17 PM
namaste,
Re Indian flag, I really don't know how it will even look on the site and even if it is appropriate from the 'national' point of view to put the flag on this site. The hindu saffron flag is more appropriate.

India is the motherland no matter if you were born there or not. Feeling offensive at the sight of indian flag is like saying that we feel offensive when we see our mom's picture. That doesn't make sense to me.

That said, let's wait and see. I don't want this discussion turned into some political blabber.

Thanks,

Jainarayan
26 June 2011, 09:20 PM
Namaste EMji and satayji.

Hmm... a different perspective. OK, I can understand that, since India is the birthplace of Hinduism; they really are pretty much synonymous. I myself would like to go there. When the time comes, I would like my ashes sent to Varanasi. I don't know how practical it will be, but it's a wish.

Sahasranama
26 June 2011, 09:23 PM
First, I want to say that I don't know how to work with photoshop, so I can't make a banner. My signature picture was made through cutting and pasting in MS Paint.

I also agree that a representation of India would be appropiate, although I would not use the current national flag. The meaning of the colours of the flags are orange=Hinduism, white=Christianity, green=Islam and the wheel=Buddhism. The meaning of the white/green colours in the Indian flag are innapropiate on a dharmic forum.

A representation of Bharata Mata would be more appropiate.

http://www.punespider.com/pictures/gallery/207-Bharat-Mata.jpeg

Jainarayan
26 June 2011, 09:25 PM
That's very beautiful. Of all the images I've ever seen, I've never seen that.

satay
26 June 2011, 09:26 PM
namaste sahas,

I also agree that a representation of India would be appropiate, although I would not use the current national flag. The meaning of the colours of the flags are orange=Hinduism, white=Christianity, green=Islam and the wheel=Buddhism.

May I ask where you got this meaning from? I never learnt that in school about the Indian flag. The wheel is actually a representation of the dharma chakra and nothing to do with buddhism as far as I know.

satay
26 June 2011, 09:28 PM
namaste Indraneela,
What is the flag? I have never seen this before. Are why are you biased about it?

Namasté, all,

Satay, Charitra, it doesn't have to be a modern flag of India. Many designs were suggested over the years.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bHIDGwZ6i50/S8qOE9pXAhI/AAAAAAAAACQ/zDx_rGKMhkE/s200/scan0012.jpg

Of course, I might be a little biased in preferring that one. :D

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.

Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Sahasranama
26 June 2011, 09:41 PM
namaste sahas,

May I ask where you got this meaning from? I never learnt that in school about the Indian flag. The wheel is actually a representation of the dharma chakra and nothing to do with buddhism as far as I know.

I have read this in a book when I was in sixth grade or so and doing a paper on India. But this interpretation might be wrong. I have looked on the internet and it seems that the colours have different means.

Also, someone on yahoo thought the same, but it seems it's not the general accepted meaning of the flag:
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071208172108AA2clq1

It is possible that a later someone interpretated the colours this way, but that it wasn't the original intent of the flag.

Arjuni
26 June 2011, 10:13 PM
Namasté,

Satay, the flag is one of several included in a fascinating blog series about the development of the Indian flag (http://flagstamps.blogspot.com/2010/04/quest-for-flag-for-india-part-iii.html). This particular banner was suggested as a national emblem in 1906 by Sister Nivedita (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Nivedita), an Anglo-Irish disciple of Swami Vivekananda. I thought the design quite lovely and simple - Vande Mataram at center, border of 108 flames - and with a rather interesting multicultural character, given its source.

I jest that I'm "biased" because the center emblem is Vajra, the weapon of Indra, and putting his symbol in the middle of a flag seems like a great idea to me. :p (Though to be fair, you will read at the above link that Nivedita also associated it - correctly - with Durga, Buddha, and Sage Dadhichi, and included it as a symbol of strength and sacrifice.)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

satay
26 June 2011, 11:01 PM
namaste,
ah...I see. Thanks for the info.

Namasté,

Satay, the flag is one of several included in a fascinating blog series about the development of the Indian flag (http://flagstamps.blogspot.com/2010/04/quest-for-flag-for-india-part-iii.html). Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
27 June 2011, 06:33 AM
When the time comes, I would like my ashes sent to Varanasi. I don't know how practical it will be, but it's a wish.

Vannakkam Minotaur: I know people who have done it from here. Its usually just one guy like a friend or a son who concentrates on naught but that. Some people have also sent just a portion of the ashes, because its easier that way. Our local young priest went from here to Sri Lanka to pick up his honorary grandfather's ashes to deliver then to Kasi.

I'm really not sure of legalities, and I suspect the people I know just did it 'under the table'.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
27 June 2011, 06:57 AM
Our local young priest went from here to Sri Lanka to pick up his honorary grandfather's ashes to deliver then to Kasi.

I'm really not sure of legalities, and I suspect the people I know just did it 'under the table'.

Aum Namasivaya

That's a good idea, that if I became close with temple members or priests, they could do it for me. My family wouldn't know where to even begin. I'm sure there is a way to do it legally, either by transporting via someone returning to India, or delivering to a contact in India. This is really something to think seriously and plan for. Not that I plan on going anywhere anytime soon, but one never knows.

My will already states I'm to be cremated, but at the time I made it, not having been committed to Hinduism then, I just asked that my cremains be scattered at the beach, which I love. But now I think I will change that. I work with a guy from Gujarat who went back to India to oversee his father's funeral.

Wow, did the thread veer off course! Sorry. :o

yajvan
27 June 2011, 12:40 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

Indian Flag as I understand it...

First and formost the cakra ( we see as blue) is the wheel of dharma. There are 24 spokes , more on this later yet we find 24 in the śāṁkhya school. Why Blue ? The color of discipline and the color of śani - yama and niyama.

The 3 stripes has many symbols behind it :

saffron is that of courage, yet discipline, one-pointedness and spiritual endeavor
White is that of peace
green is that of the earth, of bounty, fertility, even some say hope and joyThere are a few other spiritual and jyotish meanings to these colors but again I will not complicate the matter.

http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/04/2/7/0/46710761078277061.png

praṇām

yajvan
27 June 2011, 12:51 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

A few ideas on ~ look and feel~. I do not own these symbols below but am inserting them from various places... I think there is some possibilities .
My intent would be to keep it simple - and get a dharma symbol in the banner.

Note I an fond of the 3rd graphic below and is banner like. It is simple, easy to see, colors of India, and the wheel of dharma is there, subtle.

The text could then be Hindu Dharma Forum

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jyHDWUiN8bo/SUvRD8x7FbI/AAAAAAAAAH8/mti9vwF3JSA/S211/ashoka-chakra.png

http://inspirationkingdom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/india-map-flag.jpg

http://www.iloveindia.com/national-symbols/gifs/national-flag-tiranga.jpg

satay
27 June 2011, 01:07 PM
namaste,
Thanks Yajvan,
I agree with the simple look principle. The third graphic is indeed subtle.

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

A few ideas on ~ look and feel~. I do not own these symbols below but am inserting them from various places... I think there is some possibilities .
My intent would be to keep it simple - and get a dharma symbol in the banner.

TatTvamAsi
27 June 2011, 10:29 PM
Here's a quick one I did today:

Let me know if you have specific colors or design(s) in mind. I love playing around with Photoshop/graphics so I'll be glad to help. :)

saidevo
27 June 2011, 10:45 PM
namaste TTA.

Looks good enough, but then I would prefer the AUM symbol to remain upright, not tilted, since it changes into the Islamic sacred number 786 as it tilts!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_TVfPM_hoM

Secondly, the background color is good but could be better if it is shaded showing passage of light. And then you might embed the images of the trimUrti and a temple in that background seamlessly.

Let me know if you have specific colors or design(s) in mind. I love playing around with Photoshop/graphics so I'll be glad to help. :)

Adhvagat
27 June 2011, 11:00 PM
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa338/Impagliazzo/HDFBannerDraftBorder.png

I've finished this draft and sent to Satay. Let's see what he thinks.

saidevo
27 June 2011, 11:23 PM
Beautiful, PI. Except that the size is large, half of it will do, I think, and it should not scroll sideways. Difficult, but then if each god image has an image of his/her famous temple tower at the back, could be nicer. Perhaps at the bottom could be a row of little dIpam lamps, in between the god images.

The chakra from the Indian flag is nice; it also covers the dharma chakra of Buddhism, an Indian religion.

But then let Satay take a decision about it.

Sahasranama
27 June 2011, 11:31 PM
That one is beautiful, Pietro.

If I can make one suggestion, you could use a picture with both Hanuman/ Rama.

I think the size is okay. The colour fits the theme of the forum as well.

like this one:

http://www.hanumanelservienteexclusivoderama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Hanuman-04.jpg

or this one:

http://mondomonkey.com/uploaded_images/HanumanHeart-713079.jpg

But I don't know if it fits, maybe the resolution is too low.

devotee
28 June 2011, 01:11 AM
That is a good one, Pietro. Saidevo and Sahas have given good advice. You may see if this all fits. Can you add this line below :

"Sarva Khalvidam Brahman"

better if it can be incorporated in Devanagari script. It is just a suggestion. We may also have some other famous lines instead of the above like :

"Aano bhadra krtavo yantu vishwatah"

Or this :

Om purnamadah purnamidam purnat purnamudacyate | Purnasya purnamadaya purnamevavasisyate http://www.dvaita.org/sources/shruti/img1.gif

OM

Adhvagat
28 June 2011, 05:22 AM
Beautiful, PI. Except that the size is large, half of it will do, I think, and it should not scroll sideways. Difficult, but then if each god image has an image of his/her famous temple tower at the back, could be nicer. Perhaps at the bottom could be a row of little dIpam lamps, in between the god images.

The chakra from the Indian flag is nice; it also covers the dharma chakra of Buddhism, an Indian religion.

But then let Satay take a decision about it.

Horizontally is smaller than the current one (850 vs 863), but it's larger vertically (150 vs 69). In my reasoning, since posters usually spend little time in the top part of the site, this would be a design feature oriented more towards newcomers, therefore a bigger size would appeal more.

If smaller is indeed best, I could adapt this design to 125px of height, which is a nice reduction already.

That one is beautiful, Pietro.

If I can make one suggestion, you could use a picture with both Hanuman/ Rama.

I think the size is okay. The colour fits the theme of the forum as well.

like this one:

http://www.hanumanelservienteexclusivoderama.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Hanuman-04.jpg

or this one:

http://mondomonkey.com/uploaded_images/HanumanHeart-713079.jpg

But I don't know if it fits, maybe the resolution is too low.

I thought about using the picture of Hanuman showing Rama in his heart but opted for this classic Rama instead, the problem was finding good quality pictures all sharing aesthetic characteristics for uniformity's sake. It's also a problem because of the limited space, more pictures would require a different design.

That is a good one, Pietro. Saidevo and Sahas have given good advice. You may see if this all fits. Can you add this line below :

"Sarva Khalvidam Brahman"

better if it can be incorporated in Devanagari script. It is just a suggestion. We may also have some other famous lines instead of the above like :

"Aano bhadra krtavo yantu vishwatah"

Or this :

Om purnamadah purnamidam purnat purnamudacyate | Purnasya purnamadaya purnamevavasisyate http://www.dvaita.org/sources/shruti/img1.gif

OM

I considered implementing some devanagari mantras but the space was not much, so I only thought about using them as background ornaments, not sure it would work.

yajvan
28 June 2011, 01:11 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté TTA

really like the simplicity... is it possible ( if you have time) to try a dharma wheel in the center - just to show a different style ?

My last post had a few graphics if you are interersted in playing around with a style or two.

thank you again,

praṇām

satay
28 June 2011, 02:59 PM
namaste TTA, PI, Yajvan,

Thanks for the effort. Yajvan, if you don't mind, please post your banner here.

I like TTA's and Yajvan's simple banner but I concur with Saidevo's comments about TTA's banner.
PI, I sent you some comments via email.

As a starting point you can use the dimensions of the current logo of HDF.

If we can all work on the banner feedback together and vote on the banner that would good. I will go by whatever the group decides. If we have more than one banner that looks good, we can change the look every few months with the new banners then. :) four months per banner each. :)

The best part is I can put it up on the site at a moment's notice and keep it there for a few days for everyone to comment on.

TTA's fix up the OM tilt and I will put it up there for everyone to comment on.

yajvan
28 June 2011, 07:32 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Yajvan, if you don't mind, please post your banner here.

Yes, I will try again. I am looking for some help on how to get the format so it can be inserted into a post.

Perhaps we can take the best parts of the banners that are submitted and make a new banner -or- maybe there is one that will be just right.

praṇām

yajvan
28 June 2011, 07:52 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

The sanskrit text below the label ' hindu dharma form' says the following:

na hi jñānena sadṛśaṁ pavitiram
Nothing is so purifying as knowledge - Bhāgavad gītā 4.38

This is the idea I was thinking of . It is not final but offered for one's review and kind consideration. My intent: simple, aligned to dharma and knowledge.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8365/hdfbanner1.jpg

saidevo
28 June 2011, 08:33 PM
namaste Yajvan.

I like the background, the font of the Website and the Sanskrit shloka. They could be centered instead of top-aligned.

The lotus, although a sacred Hindu symbol, is currently that of the BJP, so I suggest we might have the image of a temple instead, and a combined image of TrimUrti (google image search). And in the space preceding the dharma-chakra, we might have the AUM symbol. Also, the borders might be either fully distinct or fully seamless.

If four images would seem a clutter, we might prefer AUM at the left and the chakra at the right.

yajvan
28 June 2011, 08:56 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; saidevo,

namaste Yajvan.

I like the background, the font of the Website and the Sanskrit shloka. They could be centered instead of top-aligned.

The lotus, although a sacred Hindu symbol, is currently that of the BJP, so I suggest we might have the image of a temple instead, and a combined image of TrimUrti (google image search). And in the space preceding the dharma-chakra, we might have the AUM symbol. Also, the borders might be either fully distinct or fully seamless.

If four images would seem a clutter, we might prefer AUM at the left and the chakra at the right.

... good feedback. I tried initially to find a temple for the left side of the banner and did not find a good fit, hence I tried a lotus. I am not attached to the idea of the lotus and open to other ideas. I can try AUM in devanāgarī and see what you and others think... I also put some time into the look as this was one was a draft. All are welcome to comment on what may improve the look. ( I leave my ego at the door , so be open about it).

If fellow HDF members like the look and think it should be the banner, then I will send it through photo-shop ( by a professional , my daughter) for the final.

praṇām

saidevo
28 June 2011, 09:10 PM
namaste Yajvan.

The Shiva temple at ThanjAvUr, which is also a UNESCO heritage site, might fit in, I think.

yajvan
28 June 2011, 09:24 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; saidevo,

see what you ( and our HDF friends) think of this... there is a difference in the wheels at the right - trying one
effect vs. the other.

I will also try the temple you offer and see if I can fit it and and make it look respectable.

praṇām

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4209/hdfbanner2.jpg

yajvan
28 June 2011, 09:49 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté
another variation.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9948/hdfbanner3.jpg

yajvan
28 June 2011, 10:43 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté
a few more ideas... perhaps there is a mix-and-match ?
again , just ideas.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1209/hdfbanner4.jpg

satay
28 June 2011, 11:04 PM
namaskar,

I like the first one in this list. What's on the left side? a yantra of ?

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté
a few more ideas... perhaps there is a mix-and-match ?
again , just ideas.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1209/hdfbanner4.jpg

satay
28 June 2011, 11:06 PM
namaste yajvan,
my comment, if we are going to put in the shloka there then we should also put the reference i.e in devnagari Gita shloka number.
That might inspire people to pick up the gita and check it out. subtle no?
:)

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté saidevo,

see what you ( and our HDF friends) think of this... there is a difference in the wheels at the right - trying one
effect vs. the other.

I will also try the temple you offer and see if I can fit it and and make it look respectable.

praṇām

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4209/hdfbanner2.jpg

Sahasranama
28 June 2011, 11:39 PM
namaste yajvan,
my comment, if we are going to put in the shloka there then we should also put the reference i.e in devnagari Gita shloka number.
An idea would be to create something (doesn't have to be the banner) that puts up another shloka every day automatically. Could be all from the Gita, or from various sources. That would be a good learning experience for all visitors. But I am not a computer technician, so I don't know how to do it, but I can help collecting shlokas for this purpose.

Adhvagat
29 June 2011, 02:41 AM
I updated the old design with some directions Satay gave me, that's how it looks now (both border and borderless versions):

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa338/Impagliazzo/HDFBannerDraft.png

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa338/Impagliazzo/HDFBannerDraftBorder-1.png

yajvan
29 June 2011, 10:18 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

namaskar,

I like the first one in this list. What's on the left side? a yantra of ?

Called Śrī yantra.
Śrī = prosperity , welfare , good fortune , success , auspiciousness
We know śrī as lakṣmī, sarasvatī or mother divine. This word also means diffusing light or radiance , splendid , radiant

you mention

if we are going to put in the shloka there then we should also put the reference i.e in devnagari Gita shloka number.

Yes, that would not be a problem
praṇām

yajvan
29 June 2011, 10:36 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté saidevo ( et.al)

Here is an addition... adding a temple on the left . See what you and others think of this idea.
praṇām

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2884/hdfbanner5.jpg

yajvan
29 June 2011, 11:34 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

... a few more ideas for one's browsing.
Note the new font in graphic 1 shown compared to the others offered in the last post.

praṇām

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9932/hdfbanner6.jpg

brahman
29 June 2011, 04:19 PM

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Ugyo1v_VFms/TguViKcFeaI/AAAAAAAAAzI/pIEQbRqvEGE/s912/hadf%252520banner%252520copy.jpg

Dear Sri. Satay and others, This is an amateur design, suggestions please. love:)

yajvan
29 June 2011, 04:50 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; brahman,

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Ugyo1v_VFms/TguViKcFeaI/AAAAAAAAAzI/pIEQbRqvEGE/s912/hadf&#37;252520banner%252520copy.jpg

Dear Sri. Satay and others, This is an amateur design, suggestions please. love:).

very nice... clean, simple. Nice work.
praṇām

yajvan
29 June 2011, 04:54 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

... a few more ideas for one's browsing. Thought to bring the sun - gayatri,
the dawn.

praṇām

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3089/hdfbanner8.jpg

Jainarayan
29 June 2011, 07:40 PM
I updated the old design with some directions Satay gave me, that's how it looks now (both border and borderless versions):

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa338/Impagliazzo/HDFBannerDraftBorder-1.png

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Here is an addition... adding a temple on the left . See what you and others think of this idea.
praṇām

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2884/hdfbanner5.jpg

I like a combination of both of these. I like the deities in the first banner (I'm a sucker for the beautiful colorful images of deities), and the text in the second.

All of them are beautiful. This is the first time I'm seeing them, as almost all images are blocked at work. :rolleyes:

saidevo
29 June 2011, 08:09 PM
namaste Brahman.

Elegant; professional.
Two suggestions:
You can't change the wheel in the middle of the Indian flag: it should be the blue wheel that the flag has, nothing else.
Secondly, the banner needs to be resized--like this perhaps--so it doesn't scroll horizontally.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Ugyo1v_VFms/TguViKcFeaI/AAAAAAAAAzI/pIEQbRqvEGE/s912/hadf%252520banner%252520copy.jpg
Dear Sri. Satay and others, This is an amateur design, suggestions please. love:)

TatTvamAsi
29 June 2011, 10:06 PM
Namaste,

Some great designs by Pietro and Brahman.

I have straightened the AUM symbol and reuploaded the banner.

I will work on a few other designs. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet but hopefully soon.

TatTvamAsi
29 June 2011, 10:22 PM
Here's another simple one:

SOV
29 June 2011, 10:33 PM
All designs are great. But if i had to vote, I'd ve voted for brahman's banner. I like the lamp in it.

Ramakrishna
29 June 2011, 10:42 PM
Namaste,

Everybody's designs really are very good. I like Satay's idea of changing it every few months, since they all look so great.

I also like Sahasranama's suggestion of a shloka displayer, if that is possible. It could also display insightful quotes from sages and gurus throughout history. I don't know how to create something like this either, but I could also help collect shlokas and quotes.

Jai Sri Ram

SOV
29 June 2011, 10:58 PM
Namaste,

I also like Sahasranama's suggestion of a shloka displayer, if that is possible.

It is possible. You just need to insert a script. Perhaps like this one-http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/fadescroll.htm
But I'm not sure if it works on vbulletin.

devotee
29 June 2011, 11:22 PM
Namaste all,

I vote for the Yajvan's banner (with this line "Na hi Jnanena sadrisham pavitram") and Brahman's banner.

Yajvan's selection of "Na hi jnanena sadrisham pavitram" is excellent. That not only conveys its usual meaning in BG but also emphasizes our goal here on this forum .... moving towards Jnana through sharing of knowledge.

However, I think that line has some error :

In my opinion, it should be : "Na hi Jnanena sadrisham pavitram" and not "Na hi Jnanena sadrisham pavitiram". The word "Pavitiram" appears to be erroneous imho, it should be "pavitram".

Yajvan ji may look into this.

OM

satay
29 June 2011, 11:34 PM
namaste,
Wow all of these are coming along nicely. Great effort everyone.

Yajvan, I love the latest banners that you posted but the font is something that I am not fond of at all. If we are keeping it simple then the font of hindu dharma forums text should be changed to easy to read english. I have seen restaurants use the font you are using and it just confuses me.

I love Brahman's banner. But Brahman, the flag colors have to be in proper order from top to bottom and also as saidevo said the chakara has to be proper.

Let's fix up these little things and let the games begin. :)

I will update the site with Pietro's banner (borderless) this weekend as a start. Then everyone can comment on how it looks. And we will go to the next one and so on.

agreed?

brahman
30 June 2011, 07:34 AM
Dear Sri Satay and others, thanks for all your sincere suggestions. I have tried one more design. Please check it out. Slogan and size are not important, that will be edited on request.

Love:)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fTXkOTz4w_M/Tgxs4_utY_I/AAAAAAAAAzg/jze9HuNHoLc/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%2525200001%252520copy.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BdiWP5-ld5w/TgxrNwgBb0I/AAAAAAAAAzY/JWkN6gFmoS0/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%2525200005%252520.jpg

Mana
30 June 2011, 07:44 AM
Some really great banners, great job all round!

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, might I suggest that when there are enough banners are made a new thread be created using the poll option so as to vote, it could be good fun and very democratic!

Iain

Eastern Mind
30 June 2011, 07:49 AM
Dear Sri Satay and others, thanks for all your sincere suggestions. I have tried one more design. Please check it out. Slogan and size are not important, that will be edited on request.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-fTXkOTz4w_M/Tgxs4_utY_I/AAAAAAAAAzg/jze9HuNHoLc/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%2525200001%252520copy.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BdiWP5-ld5w/TgxrNwgBb0I/AAAAAAAAAzY/JWkN6gFmoS0/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%2525200005%252520.jpg

Vannakkam Brahman: I really like these, but in the first one, I think there should be spaces between words, and knowledge is misspelled. :) Once a teacher, always a teacher. Sorry about that.

Aum Namasivaya

charitra
30 June 2011, 09:30 AM
Namaste all,

Changing banner every month is a fantastic idea,
after an year or so we can settle for one or even
continue the trend on and on. Very resourceful and innovative members here. :) Shanti.

yajvan
30 June 2011, 10:40 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

I vote for the Yajvan's banner (with this line "Na hi Jnanena sadrisham pavitram") and Brahman's banner.
However, I think that line has some error :

Yes, I had a typographical error and it is now corrected....

न हि ज्ञानेन सदृशं पवित्रम् - bhāgavad gītā -4.38

na hi j&#241;ānena sadṛśaṁ pavitram
nothing is so purifying as knowledge

na - as it were , like , as , as it were ; nor or not
hi - indeed , assuredly , surely , of course , certainly
j&#241;ānena - j&#241;ānena or j&#241;āna - knowledge
sadṛśaṁ - suitable , fit , proper , right , worthy ; like
pavitram or pavitra - a means of purification : a means of purifying or clearing the mind satay writes,

I love the latest banners that you posted but the font is something that I am not fond of at all.
Sure, I understand. The offers are there for variety and ideas.... it serves the purpose of also saying this is what we may not need, and that too is okay.

Thank you for the opportunity to submit some of the banners I thought were fun to create. Yet me thinks brahman's banner offerings meet the need of simplicity, quality and ease of viewing. I think they are quite promising. I am fond of the clear colors, selection, etc. found in post 68, 1st banner. My recommendations for the banner if brahman is open to it:

All capital letters - I would suggest lower case and see how it looks; if that does not work, then upper and lower case as appropriate.
I would suggest spaces between the wording
The ~tag~ of love, truth, knowledge, bliss . I would suggest a simple phrase - if the bhāgavad gītā -4.38 verse it amenable to all, perhaps this is a good fit ? I am sure there are others we can consider. Yet is seems, this is at the core of HDF - the sharing, discussion of knowledge. praṇām

satay
30 June 2011, 12:03 PM
namaste brahman,
I really love the second banner on your list. Wow! You guys are creative. But can we put the following in place of i love hdf?

That would make it look awesome!

Excellent work everyone.

Sahasranama
30 June 2011, 02:21 PM
namaste brahman,
I really love the second banner on your list. Wow! You guys are creative. But can we put the following in place of i love hdf?

That would make it look awesome!

Excellent work everyone.

Might as well add "iha vidyate" to it, then you have halve a verse of the Gita.

devotee
30 June 2011, 10:51 PM
Namaste all,

Wow ! We have a rich resource of highly talented people on this forum ! :)

Regarding the excellent verse chosen by Yajvan ji, Sahas has given suggestion to have the full half verse but imho, that is not really required. The message is conveyed fully and completely with these words alone, "Na hi Jnanena sadrisham pavitram" ... it doesn't need "iha vidyate" to convey its message. So, the massage imho, is crisp and complete in its present form as suggested by Yajvan ji. However, Satay may take a final decision on this issue.

Great works, Pietro, Sahasranama, Brahman & TTA ! I wish I could also be as creative !! :)

OM

brahman
01 July 2011, 01:55 AM
Dear Sri. Satay and others,

Thanks very much for suggestions, in fact mine is only a technical assistance on your suggestions, the design is yours(actually ours).

Please do find "HINDU DHARMA FORUMS" and "HINDUDHARMA FORUMS" with and without spacing.

love:)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-l_OUSlmA_-g/Tg1tdlUKZGI/AAAAAAAAAzw/3NCRl0ohtYI/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%2525200005-2%252520space.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PgZxp9dl78c/Tg1tfNcUrDI/AAAAAAAAAz0/AfLCO-eaTFQ/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%2525200005-2%252520no%252520space.jpg

devotee
01 July 2011, 02:03 AM
Namaste Brahman,

This is a good design. However, "HinduDharma Forums" and the "Na hi Jnanena sadrisham Pavitram' would perhaps look better if brought in the middle of the deities.

The use of flags in your earlier version too was good.

OM

Jainarayan
01 July 2011, 09:45 AM
Namaste Brahman,

This is a good design. However, "HinduDharma Forums" and the "Na hi Jnanena sadrisham Pavitram' would perhaps look better if brought in the middle of the deities.

OM

Yes, it is a good design. Nice, clear and to the point, nice and colorful (I have a thing for colors). Though I think grouping the deities together, and maybe OM in the middle, shows that they are One.

brahman
02 July 2011, 12:43 AM
Namaste Brahman,

OM

Yes, it is a good design. Nice, clear and to the point, nice and colorful (I have a thing for colors). Though I think grouping the deities together, and maybe OM in the middle, shows that they are One.

Lets see how does it look
:) love

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PgZxp9dl78c/Tg1tfNcUrDI/AAAAAAAAAz0/AfLCO-eaTFQ/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%2525200005-2%252520no%252520space.jpg

previous desig ^

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pmPV_OUwQmw/Tg6uzcQGYaI/AAAAAAAAA0c/HyDivewhprg/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%2525200007%252520AUM%252520MIDDLE.jpg

new design- Aum in the center ^

Sahasranama
02 July 2011, 12:47 AM
It looks nice, I would group ganesha and shiva together, and laxmi and krishna at the other side. The dharma wheel and the deepam are not symmetrically placed. You could use a deepam on side and a bell on the other to make it look like an altar.

SOV
02 July 2011, 01:01 AM

These two banners are good. Instead of I love hdf, Nahi jnanena (devanagari),just that one line can be used . I think the later banners are filled with too many lines/words which hampers the view.

devotee
02 July 2011, 01:36 AM
Namaste Brahman,

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pmPV_OUwQmw/Tg6uzcQGYaI/AAAAAAAAA0c/HyDivewhprg/s912/HDF&#37;252520BANNER%2525200007%252520AUM%252520MIDDLE.jpg

new design- Aum in the center ^

That is superb ! See, if you can accomodate a small "deepam" to look like being placed on the altar, as Sahas has advised. It would look better if there are two very small deepams just below and between the two deities used on left and right hand side. Imo, deities are placed well ... The Lord who brings in auspiciousness (Ganesh) and the goddess bringing in prosperity are guarding "Hindudharma forums" from the two sides ! Again, imo, it is a good idea to keep both roman and devanagari scripts for the sloka used keeping the need of the visitors coming to this forum in view.

Very attractive and enthusiasm provoking color combination, excellent theme and message conveyed make this banner a highly commendable one. :)

OM

saidevo
02 July 2011, 02:37 AM
namaste Brahman.

Your latest design is very good. One small suggestion, however, for all the troubles you have undertaken for the design.

1. The lamp could be moved to the left of the shloka transliteration and meaning; and you could use the lamp in your first design that shines better, and try if the flame can illuminate the shloka transliteration and meaning, using some light effect, changing the background to black if necessary and the letters in a suitable color, perhaps white.

2. Similarly, the wheel could be brought to the right of the Sanskrit text of the shloka, and that portion made to look like the Indian Tricolour.

Please keep your latest design as such, try the changes onto a new variation and see if it looks better, or else we can keep the latest as it is.

satay
02 July 2011, 09:56 AM
namaste,

These two banners are good. Instead of I love hdf, Nahi jnanena (devanagari),just that one line can be used . I think the later banners are filled with too many lines/words which hampers the view.

I feel the same. The latest banner are too busy with text and pictures.

In the second banner from the first list, I would replace the i love hdf with sanskrit text with gita reference and that's it.

brahman
03 July 2011, 01:01 AM

namaste,

I feel the same. The latest banner are too busy with text and pictures.

In the second banner from the first list, I would replace the i love hdf with sanskrit text with gita reference and that's it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sqpemgVpmv4/ThAA3iBykcI/AAAAAAAAA08/SJVVK24Zo2U/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%2525200005%252520SATAY.jpg

Thats right, please find this design.

namaste Brahman.

Your latest design is very good. One small suggestion, however, for all the troubles you have undertaken for the design.

1. The lamp could be moved to the left of the shloka transliteration and meaning; and you could use the lamp in your first design that shines better, and try if the flame can illuminate the shloka transliteration and meaning, using some light effect, changing the background to black if necessary and the letters in a suitable color, perhaps white.

2. Similarly, the wheel could be brought to the right of the Sanskrit text of the shloka, and that portion made to look like the Indian Tricolour.

Please keep your latest design as such, try the changes onto a new variation and see if it looks better, or else we can keep the latest as it is.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yFcgtXHVppc/ThAA11QOFmI/AAAAAAAAA00/-baRei_ZVLE/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%2525200008%252520SRISAI.jpg

The terra-cotta lamp doesn't fit as the color combination gets spoil, black background doesn't look good with deities, so I have used anotehr kind of lamp here, please find it.

Namaste Brahman,

Again, imo, it is a good idea to keep both roman and devanagari scripts for the sloka used keeping the need of the visitors coming to this forum in view.

OM

Namaste Brahman,

OM

Though I think grouping the deities together, and maybe OM in the middle, shows that they are One.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-R6n7nbgNmak/ThAA2ZB_FPI/AAAAAAAAA04/b2X0EdVBL80/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%252520PERSONAL.jpg

Personally I add Design: 3 to the cart considering the above reasons.

Sahasranama
03 July 2011, 07:37 AM
Pietro's banner fits really well on the site. The colours match. If it's possible, the background colour of the forum should be made one, instead of having a white boarder with a grey background, because it makes the banner look seperate from the site.

Ganeshprasad
03 July 2011, 12:07 PM
Pranam

I see a lot of hard work has gone in to creating this wonderful banners, they are very good.
the one that is now proudly displayed, it is not fully circular, the top has been chopped off, is it my computer or is meant to be that way?

Jai Shree Krishna

PARAM
03 July 2011, 12:19 PM
The new banner is made it is good, if you are making more, then it could be better, but please avoid the Flag of any country. The whole world is equal, all are one respect all.

zenvicky
03 July 2011, 01:24 PM
Yes please avoid any country's flag, this is supposed to be a global Hindu Dharma Forum.

NayaSurya
03 July 2011, 03:50 PM
They are very beautiful, you all are very talented.

sankar
03 July 2011, 10:52 PM
Yes please avoid any country's flag, this is supposed to be a global Hindu Dharma Forum.

seconded..... Hinduism is not just for a particular nation ....

devotee
03 July 2011, 10:58 PM
Namaste Brahman,

Thanks for taking all pains for such a beautiful & meaningful design. :)

It is presents various aspects of Hindu Dharma, voices the purpose of this forum with BG's verse used, emphasises the importance of land of origin of the Dharma with Indian flag, shows OM being the centre of various paths within Hinduism (Shaivism, Shakta and Vaishanvism) & the middle lamp (light of Knowledge) as the Realisation of OM.

It is asesthetically appealing due to choice of colour, its symmetricity of objects & realtive proportions used in the design.

It is not expected that people (or any other person) would subscribe to my views but that is my humble opinion. Congrats and thanks again ! :)

OM

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yFcgtXHVppc/ThAA11QOFmI/AAAAAAAAA00/-baRei_ZVLE/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%2525200008%252520SRISAI.jpg

Sahasranama
03 July 2011, 11:29 PM
It looks more like a unit now with the white background, although there are now two big white spots on the sides. This could be taken care of by aligning the banner to the left and placing a shloka displayer on the right.

satay
04 July 2011, 12:49 AM
namaste,
Love this one.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-R6n7nbgNmak/ThAA2ZB_FPI/AAAAAAAAA04/b2X0EdVBL80/s912/HDF%252520BANNER%252520PERSONAL.jpg

Personally I add Design: 3 to the cart considering the above reasons.

brahman
04 July 2011, 07:02 AM
Just a word of thanks to all of you.

I was so occupied with this work for the last few days. Such was the inspiration, and remarks I obtained from each one of you. Special thanks to Sri.Satay , you provided me such a great opportunity.

Sri. Yajvan for the wordings and designs. Special mention goes to Pietro and TTA for you prompted me with your initial base designs.

Sri. Sai, devotee, Minotaur, Sahasranama, SOV commented so precisely all over. And remarkable and meaningful were the support from Sri. Eastern Mind, sunyata07, Nayasurya, GP, Indraneela, Ramakrishna, charitra , Mana, PARAM, zenvicky , sankar .

The project was a pleasing exercise for me. There was piety, dedication, love and attentiveness when I rendered color and shade to each of the deity images. In awe, I called them Shiva, Krishna, Ganesh, Devi, and chanted mantras like Sri Mad 'Bhāgavad gītā', 'na hi jñānena sadṛśaṁ pavitiram' and 'Dharma'.

Every shade conveyed the spirit of peace -saffron, tri-color and yellow. The divine 'chakra' elevated in perfect tranquillity will definitely distinguish HDF from similar forums operates with western backgrounds and make it authentic.

Last but not the least, I am overwhelmed. HDF is a home away from home for me. It has accommodated me for three years with love and care and a lot of learning. Through this work of mine, let me hope I have done at least something for HDF.

Thanks and lots love to all of you:)

Let me leave the rest to Sri. Satay with a small note (Will be offline for some days, so please let me know if there is any more changes to be made)

Eastern Mind
04 July 2011, 07:16 AM
namaste,
Love this one.

Vannakkam: Me too. The color grabs your attention.

Aum Namasivaya

Mana
04 July 2011, 08:35 AM
The new banner looks great!!! :)

Jainarayan
04 July 2011, 09:25 AM
Yes, it's very nice. It stands out without being distracting or overpowering; it's subtle and to the point.

PARAM
04 July 2011, 12:18 PM
Namaste Brahman,

Thanks for taking all pains for such a beautiful & meaningful design. :)

It is presents various aspects of Hindu Dharma, voices the purpose of this forum with BG's verse used, emphasises the importance of land of origin of the Dharma with Indian flag, shows OM being the centre of various paths within Hinduism (Shaivism, Shakta and Vaishanvism) & the middle lamp (light of Knowledge) as the Realisation of OM.

It is asesthetically appealing due to choice of colour, its symmetricity of objects & realtive proportions used in the design.

It is not expected that people (or any other person) would subscribe to my views but that is my humble opinion. Congrats and thanks again ! :)

OM

That banner is beautiful, but your view is wrong, how can Om belongs to one Nation? Om is endless, even mother Earth cannot be compared.
India is not a land of the origin of Dharma, it is the land where Dharma survived even in Kaliyug.

Sahasranama
17 July 2011, 12:05 PM
We already have a banner, but anyway a nice representation of the flag:

http://1.gravatar.com/avatar/33cf0008ce4c93c6218f56f209c6991b?size=420

Ganeshprasad
13 October 2011, 10:33 AM
Pranam

Nice change of the banner

Jai Shree Krishna

satay
01 January 2012, 12:46 PM
namaste,
Thanks to Brahman for donating his time to create the new banner.

sm78
01 January 2012, 12:51 PM
very nice indeed.

Believer
01 January 2012, 12:55 PM
Namaste,

Looking good Satay.

Pranam.

Obelisk
02 January 2012, 01:44 AM
I really like the new banner too! :cool1:

Adhvagat
02 January 2012, 08:00 AM
What about one with a Nataraja and some planets exploding? Just to be trendy with the apocalypse thing? :p

Kismet
02 January 2012, 05:49 PM
This banner is quite nice. I also liked the former, orangey-amber colored one very much also. Probably because that's my favorite color.

satay
01 February 2012, 12:27 PM
namaste,
Another new banner donated by Brahman. Thank you!

yajvan
01 February 2012, 01:03 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

very nice....

praṇām

Spiritualseeker
01 February 2012, 06:56 PM
Namaste,

The banner is perfect. Look at the vastness and infinity of the Universe. The Dharma courses through all things.

Om Namah Shivaya

Obelisk
02 February 2012, 03:12 AM
Loving the new banner! Really majestic and awe-inspiring, apt for our site and dharma. :)

Kismet
02 February 2012, 03:46 AM
Ah, really gorgeous this time. Wonderful. :)

Mana
02 February 2012, 04:56 AM
Namaste

Nice job Brahman!

Very eloquent. :)

praNAma

mana

sankar
02 February 2012, 09:47 PM
good looking and rightly matching the forum theme, better if readability of the text is improved. :)