PDA

View Full Version : Western monks and nuns?

Spiritualseeker
29 June 2011, 07:36 PM
Namaste,
So I hear that the Himalayan academy in Hawaii is accepting people from any nationality (of course after following a process in order to fully make entry: I read the description on the site). I am wondering does anyone know if they accept Nuns as well?

Any information would be appreciated

Om Namah Sivaya

Eastern Mind
29 June 2011, 10:53 PM
Vannakkam SS: In short, no. Traditionally, monasteries are men only. These mixed gender ashrams are something fairly new.

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
30 June 2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks do you know of any of the ashrams that are mixed?

Eastern Mind
30 June 2011, 01:51 PM
Vannakkam SS: You could try Arsha Vidya Gurukkulam in Pennsylvania. I think ISKCON has both genders living at temples. I'm really not sure. Yasodhara Yoga Ashram in BC is. I thing Sivananda Ashram in Val Morin, Quebec founded by the late Vishnudevananda is as well. Satchitananda's Yogaville probably is too.

Aum Namasivaya

Spiritualseeker
02 July 2011, 07:29 AM
Namaste,

Thanks EM. I will check those out. I am just collecting various forms of information right now.

Sahasranama
02 July 2011, 07:57 AM
Traditionally sanyasa ashrama has been open to women, although it was rare for women to take sannyasa. Even shankaracharya had a female disciple. Modern day sannyasins living in an ashrama is more of a hybrid between vanaprasta and sannyasa ashrama. Over the ages sannyasa has been accomadated to fit modern society. A true sannyasin is prohibited to stay for longer than two days at the same place or to accumulate wealth. That's why the shastras recommend not to take sannyasa in kali yuga, it is almost impossible. Once the vow of sannyasa has been taken, one cannot go back either. Done is done, at that point you are accumulating sin for not following the rules of sannyasa. The rishis lived with their wives in their ashramas, but they were grihastas and vanaprastas, not sannyasins.

kallol
04 July 2011, 12:15 PM
Do one need to be a sanyasi in physical sense ? Not always. The history says so.

What is more needed is to be a sanyasi in mental sense.

As being sanyasi in physical sense was the easier way to sanyasi in mental sense, the earlier rishis used to take that path.

Now a days it is more tough for men. For women it is tougher.

So being in sansar and being a sanyasin in mental sense would be less ardous.

Detach the mind from attachments and carry out the worldly affairs as duty towards Lord. Just like Bharata did for Rama while he was exiled.

Love and best wishes