PDA

View Full Version : Nilakantha

Agnideva
23 December 2006, 12:17 PM
Namaste All,

Nilakantha is one of the epithets of Lord Shiva. The literal meaning of Nilakantha is “blue-throated.” There is a very famous Puranic legend called the churning of the cosmic ocean, where the Devas and Asuras decide to churn the cosmic ocean to extract amrita (nectar of immortality). They use the mountain Mandara as the churning stick, and the king of the serpents, Vasuki, as the rope. Vishnu in His Kurma Avatar acts as a base to support the mountain on His back. As they churn away, 14 items come out of the ocean, one of which is a deadly poison known as halahala or kalakuta. Lord Shiva drank the poison in order to save the universe, but Devi held His throat so He doesn’t swallow it. The poison made His throat blue, hence the name Nilakantha.

http://www.normal.no/txt/shiva/bilder/nilakantha_03.jpg

This story is filled with esoteric meaning. I would like this thread to be a discussion of the deeper meaning of this legend. The first question is: what does Nilakantha represent?

OM Shanti,
A.

orlando
23 December 2006, 12:42 PM
This story is filled with esoteric meaning. I would like this thread to be a discussion of the deeper meaning of this legend. The first question is: what does Nilakantha represent?

OM Shanti,
A.

I don't believe that in such story there is an "esoteric" or/and "deeper" meaning.
This means that I will not make this thread what you would like it to be.

You may read such story in Srimad Bhagavata Purana,Canto 8,Chapter 7.
http://www.srimadbhagavatam.org/canto8/chapter7.html

http://www.srimadbhagavatam.org/images/bimages/shivadrinks.jpg

There some details about this story that I wish to share with you.

Shiva was able to consume the kAlakUTa poison, not on his own powers
but, on that obtained by chanting Vishnu-mantra.

The
Brahmanda purANA says:

taM dR^iShTvA ghorasaN^kAshaM prAdurbhUtaM mahAviSham.h |
dhyAtvA nArAyaNaM devaM hR^idaye garuDadhvajam.h ||

(Seeing that terrible poison emerging, (Shiva) meditated on the Lord Vishnu,
Garudadhvaja, residing in his heart).

Another purANa says:

yena jIrNaM cha garaLaM kaNThasthaM cha kapAlinaH |
antarAtmadhR^itaM tasya hR^idaye garuDadhvaja ||

It is only due to Shiva's meditating on Vishnu, that he was able to digest
the terrible poison, right in his neck.

In Garuda purana, Shiva tells Parvati:

aprakAshamidaM devi guhyAdguhyataraM padam.h |
purAhamabdhimathane patagendraviShAvaham.h |
avadhyaM garalaM ghoramaJNbhujamamR^itaM yathA ||

O Devi, this is not a well known fact. At the time of samudra-mathana,
before consuming poison, I meditated on the Lord. (It is due to his mercy
that ) I was able to drink it as easily as I had the nectar (amR^ita)

This one is well known in the mantra-shAstras:

achyutAnantagovindamantrato.apsu shubhaM param.h |
OM iti sampuTIkR^ityajapanviShadharo.aharat.h ||

Lord Shiva did 'abhimantraNa' of the poison with the most auspicious mantra:
OM achyutAnantagovinda OM' and then consumed the poison.

Another purANa says:

nAmatrayaprabhAvAchcha viShNossarvagatasya vai |
viShaM tadabhavajjIrNaM lokasamhArakAraNam.h |

Due to the chanting of the 'nAmatraya' (three names) of that all-pervading
Vishnu, that terrible poison, which could have destroyed the worlds, was
digested ('jIrNam.h').

Regards,
Orlando.

Agnideva
23 December 2006, 01:22 PM
I don't believe that in such story there is an "esoteric" or/and "deeper" meaning.
This means that I will not make this thread what you would like it to be.
Namaste Orlando,

Thanks for your post. It's alright by me if you wish to take the story quite literally :). There are many people, in fact, who believe these events to have actually taken place at a different level than our own, and that's perfectly acceptable. Personally, I am of the belief that such legends have something more to tell us than what they appear to be telling us literally. My question, therefore, is from that angle.

OM Shanti,
A.

atanu
24 December 2006, 02:27 AM
Namaste Orlando,

Thanks for your post. It's alright by me if you wish to take the story quite literally :). There are many people, in fact, who believe these events to have actually taken place at a different level than our own, and that's perfectly acceptable. Personally, I am of the belief that such legends have something more to tell us than what they appear to be telling us literally. My question, therefore, is from that angle.

OM Shanti,
A.

Please come out and do not create the suspense, Orlando or no Orlando.

saidevo
24 December 2006, 09:53 AM
Sri Vaishnava sources also way that it was not Shiva who drank the poison but only Vishnu, making him a vessel to hold it! They quote this Rg Veda mantra as authority: Vayurasmaa upaamanyath pinishta smaa kunannamaa kesee vishasya PatrEna yad RudrEna pibath sa:

Here are the links:
http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=+%22Neelakanta%22&as_q=poison&btnG=Search+within+results
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia/srirangasri/archives/srsvol/msg00051.html

Can anyone explain the verbatim meaning and the connotations of this mantra?

atanu
24 December 2006, 01:31 PM
Sri Vaishnava sources also way that it was not Shiva who drank the poison but only Vishnu, making him a vessel to hold it! They quote this Rg Veda mantra as authority: Vayurasmaa upaamanyath pinishta smaa kunannamaa kesee vishasya PatrEna yad RudrEna pibath sa:

Here are the links:
http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=+%22Neelakanta%22&as_q=poison&btnG=Search+within+results (http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=+%22Neelakanta%22&as_q=poison&btnG=Search+within+results)
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia/srirangasri/archives/srsvol/msg00051.html

Can anyone explain the verbatim meaning and the connotations of this mantra?

Namaskar Saidevo ji

This is Kesin Sukta. Kesins are rishis or the three Adityas: Indra, Vayu and Agni. “Vayu churned for Him” makes the intent clear.

Rig Veda is in 10:136:7

"vaayúr asmaa úpaamanthat pináSTi smaa kunannamaá
keshií viSásya paátreNa yád rudréNaápibat sahá"

Griffith translation

Vayu hath churned for him: for him he poundeth things most hard to bend,
When he with long loose locks hath drunk, with Rudra, poison from the cup.

And comment of a Vaisnava:

This is the story where Vayu had to gring the poison from the ocean for Rudra Deva as Rudra himself was not able to gring the poison or digest it. So Vayu Deva had to grind it for Rudra deva and also drink a major portion of this poison while giving only a small portion to Rudra Deva.

This is Saraswati project translation:

10.136.07 Va_yu churned for him, the inflexible (thunder) ground it when the radiant (Sun), along with Rudra, drank the water with his cup.

There are many more arsenals in Vaisnava repertoire wherein Shiva is killed off by Vak Devi, Vishnu, Naraayana, Ram, Indra, Agni. On examination of the verses one cannot help but smile.

But they are correct without knowing. Does the Self do anything. Atmic powers only act.

Svet. Up.

ghR^itaat paraM maNDamivaatisuuxma.n
GYaatvaa shiva.n sarvabhuuteshhu guuDham.h .
vishvasyaikaM pariveshhTitaara.n
GYaatvaa devaM muchyate sarvapaashaiH .. 16..

16. He who knows Siva (the blessed) hidden in all beings, like the subtle film that rises from out the clarified butter, alone enveloping everything, knows the god and is freed from all fetters.

eshha devo vishvakarmaa mahaatmaa
sadaa janaanaa.n hR^idaye sannivishhTaH .
hR^idaa maniishhaa manasaabhiklR^ipto
ya etad.h viduramR^itaaste bhavanti .. 17..

17. That god, the maker of all thing, the great Self, always dwelling in the heart of man, IS PERCEIVED BY THE HEART, THE INTELLECT AND THE MIND; - they who know it become immortal.

Om Namah Shivayya

saidevo
24 December 2006, 10:59 PM
Namaste Atanu,

Thanks for your explanation. I now understand that there is indeed truth in the saying that ultimate Grace is conferred when one is born into Saiva Siddhanta by birth or belief. I am glad that I am already a Saivite to who sees the inclusiveness and equality of all the three Gods in the Hindu Trinity and that anyone and everyone of them could equally be the Brahman.

aum namah shivaya!

satay
25 December 2006, 12:06 AM
Namaste All,

OM Shanti,
A.

namase Agnideva,
I don't know why we can't just take the literal meaning of the story and why we have to look for esoteric meaning...but that's just my feeling only.

Aside from the literal meaning of Nilakantha what does Nilakantha mean? May be it represents that the Lord holds all the negative things (karma) of devotees if one requests him to do so?

Aside from shiva who among the devas has the power to hold the poison? Narayana will not do it himself when it comes to 'vish' or poison isn't our dear lord shiva in charge?

shivom!

yajvan
25 December 2006, 02:08 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste All,

Nilakantha is one of the epithets of Lord Shiva. The literal meaning of Nilakantha is “blue-throated.” There is a very famous Puranic legend called the churning of the cosmic ocean, where the Devas and Asuras decide to churn the cosmic ocean to extract amrita (nectar of immortality).

Namaste,
I can see multiple posts on this matter... would it not be advisable to extract the greatest amount of good by starting with the notion of the cosmic ocean? What is its definition? What of its churning? and from this amrita extraction , for whom? and its delivery? The story is of myth.
[ I use this in the most profund fashion of bring forth truth and NOT the contempory use as fable or falsehood.]
"a myth (mythos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythos)) is a sacred story concerning the origins of the world or how the world and the creatures in it came to have their present form. The active beings in myths are generally gods and heroes. Myths often are said to take place before recorded history begins. In saying that a myth is a sacred narrative, what is meant is that a myth is believed to be true by people who attach religious or spiritual significance to it."

Agnideva
25 December 2006, 02:31 PM
Namaste Satay,

I don't know why we can't just take the literal meaning of the story and why we have to look for esoteric meaning...but that's just my feeling only.
We can Satay, I’m not saying we must not :). For me, personally, learning the esotery behind the story makes that which is already meaningful even more so.

Let me give you another example. Shiva is also called by the name Tripurantaka (Tripurari or Tripurantakari), the Destroyer of the three cities. The ordinary meaning of Tripurantaka comes from the legend that Shiva destroyed the three cities of gold, silver and iron built by the asura, Maya. In Shaivism, it has yet another meaning. Tripurantaka indicates that the Lord alone can destroy the three cities that bind us (the three pashas in Shaivism - maya, karma and anava) to samsara, and keep us from jnana realization. I was wondering if Nilakantha can also have such meaning, ‘tis all.

Aside from the literal meaning of Nilakantha what does Nilakantha mean? May be it represents that the Lord holds all the negative things (karma) of devotees if one requests him to do so?

Aside from shiva who among the devas has the power to hold the poison? Narayana will not do it himself when it comes to 'vish' or poison isn't our dear lord shiva in charge?
Thanks S ;). This is the kind of stuff I am looking for.

OM Shanti,
A.

Agnideva
25 December 2006, 02:51 PM
Namaste Yajvan,

I can see multiple posts on this matter... would it not be advisable to extract the greatest amount of good by starting with the notion of the cosmic ocean? What is its definition?
Thanks for the post. Yes definitely, it would be better to start from the beginning. The turbulent cosmic ocean is the mind, and the waves are endless thoughts within it. The devas and asuras are the positive and negative elements in the mind constantly battling each other, thus keeping the mind unsteady. Would this be fair to say?

a myth (mythos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythos)) is a sacred story concerning the origins of the world or how the world and the creatures in it came to have their present form. The active beings in myths are generally gods and heroes. Myths often are said to take place before recorded history begins. In saying that a myth is a sacred narrative, what is meant is that a myth is believed to be true by people who attach religious or spiritual significance to it."
If I’m not mistaken, another term used to describe such sacred literature is mythopoesy.

OM Shanti,
A.

yajvan
26 December 2006, 10:35 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

namase Agnideva,

Namaste satay,
this is a very reasonable consideration. Let me see if I can answer it in the following way. The rsi's ( kavi) that cognized the ved via 'seeing' (drsti) and 'hearing' ( sruti) used their discrimination (viveka) to transmit this knowledge to others. They chose slesa, or double messages for multiple reasons:
a. to pack as much knowledge per word/mantra as possible
b. to protect the knowledge
It is their brilliance that they chose this, yet for people in ignorance ( that would be me), it takes others of enlightened vision to 'decode' the message. It has much to do with the mantra, its meter (chandas) as to the unfoldment of this knowledge.

Next, which I find most interesting, even the deveta prefer the indirect way. Who says so? The Brihadaranyaka Upanishad (4.2.2) points out that the devata prefer/like the indirect names ( they are called) vs. direct names. Example in this valli uis the name of Indra. His name is Indha ( or illuminating or lustrous) yet prefers Indra; They , the devata are fond of indirect names. This is also called out in the Aitareya Upanishad 3.14, and there Indra's original name is called Idandra - or "IT Seeing".
[ let me thank Indra for His blessings and the ability to identify Him in this manner - as Indra is 'divine mind' ]

Let me start a new post on this , I will post the words of the ved. I am no expert and this will be from my readings and look to be corrected/improved and advanced by others on this forum with more resolute knowledge.
pranams,

Agnideva
03 January 2007, 10:32 PM
Namaste all,

This sort of answers my own original question. I found a site that explains the symbolism of the above story, and I found it quite helpful. So, I thought I'd post it here for everyone's benefit.

Now the symbolism hidden in this story is this.

The story represents the spiritual endeavor of man for gaining immortality through concentration of mind, withdrawal of senses, control of desires and practice of austerities and asceticism.

The gods represent the pleasure principle in ourselves. The demons represent the pain principle. The gods also represent the senses, while the demons the evil and negative thoughts and impulses. The participation of both the devas and the demons signify the fact that when one is seeking immortality through the spiritual practice one has to integrate and harmonize both the positive and negative aspects of ones personality and put both the energies for the common goal.

The ocean of milk is the mind or the human consciousness. The mind is always compared to an ocean (mano sagaram) while the thoughts and emotions to the waves. The mind as an ocean is in fact a universal symbol, known to other religions and cultures also.

Mandhara, the mountain stands for concentration. The word "mandhara" contains two words "man" (mind) and "dhara" ( a single line) which means holding the mind in one line. This is possible only during mental concentration.

The mountain mandhara was upheld by Lord Vishnu as a Tortoise. The tortoise here stands for the withdrawal of the senses into one self as one practices mental concentration and meditation or contemplation. It also suggests that the mind should rest itself upon or freely surrender itself to the divine will.

The great serpent Vasuki stands for desire. The desire is always compared to a thousand hooded serpent. The Vasuki used in the churning of the ocean denotes that the devas and the demons held desire (to seek immortality) as a rope and churned the mind with the help of concentration and withdrawal of the senses. You can hold desire in your hands and manipulate it only when you have control over your desires. So control of desire is suggested through this symbolism.

The halahal represents suffering and pain we undergo at the beginning of spiritual sadhana. When the mind is subjected to intense churning by opposing forces, the first thing that comes out of the process is intense suffering and great inner turmoil. We are told by many that when an initiate starts his spiritual sadhana he faces a number of difficulties. The problems become intensified because of inner conflicts, where one part yearns to pursue the spiritual path while the other opposes it.

In the initial stages of sadhana a seeker's mind throws out all kinds of reactions, negative thoughts, desires and impulses out into open so that he can deal with them appropriately. These problems are basically physical suffering and mental suffering without resolving which further progress is not possible. In short we can say that halahal is the instability of the body and the mind that arise as a counter reaction against ones spiritual practice.

Lord Shiva represents the ascetic principle. He is the Destroyer of illusion, one who is innerly detached, pure and austere. His role in this story as the consumer of poison suggests that one can deal with the early problems of spiritual life, such as the instability of the mind and its restlessness, by cultivating the qualities of Lord Shiva, namely, courage, initiative, willingness, discipline, simplicity, austerity, detachment, compassion, pure love and asceticism.

Alternatively it also means gaining control over the mind through breath control. Lord Shiva is Controller of breath. He is Prananath, or Praneshwar, Lord of the Breath. In spiritual sadhana, it is essential that one gains complete mastery over ones breathing pattern. Many spiritually advanced souls have the capacity to hold their breath in their throat, near the palate, as they meditate.

The various objects that came out of the ocean during the churning stand for the psychic or spiritual powers (siddhis) which one gains as he progresses spiritually from stage to stage. These siddhis are spiritual powes which come to a seeker as he progresses on the spiritual path. We are told that a seeker is to be careful about these powers as they can hamper his progress unless he uses them judiciously, not for his selfish gains but for others' welfare. This is the reason why the gods and demons distributed these powers among others without keeping anything for themselves as they did not want to lose sight of their original aim which was to gain immortality. Dhanvantarari stands for health. The vessel containing the amrit was brought before the gods and the demons by Dhanvantari, the divine physician. This signifies that immortality can be achieved only when the body and the mind are in a perfect state of health. Spiritual success is not possible in case of a person who is mentally or physically sick or whose gross body is not fit for receiving divine illumination.

Lord Vishnu in the form of Mohini stands for delusion of the mind in the form of pride. It is the pride of achievement to which the asuras or the demons succumbed and thus lost their right to enter into the world of immortality. Pride and egoism are the last hurdles one has to overcome in spiritual life before experiencing self-realization.

This is in brief the symbolism hidden in the story of Sagar manthan.

Source (http://hinduwebsite.com/churning.asp)

OM Shanti,
A.

yajvan
04 January 2007, 11:22 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Agnideva,
I have read the following from the past post...thank you for bringing this up and your research on symbols:

The gods represent the pleasure principle in ourselves. The demons represent the pain principle. ...
The ocean of milk is the mind or the human consciousness. The mind is always compared to an ocean (mano sagaram) while the thoughts and emotions to the waves. The mind as an ocean is in fact a universal symbol, known to other religions and cultures also.
Mandhara, the mountain stands for concentrationFrom my teachings and studies I have a different view of these. Not sure of which gods the author is referring to, yet if the devata, then I believe these may be a bit off the mark. The devata are in fact cosmic impulses that exist. We, in the final analysis, that is our phycial bodies are the play and display of the 3 gunas. Our SELF is devoid of these 3 guna, as IT is beyond the 3 gunas. More on this in a differnent post, I want to get to the next section ( but will address this later if I may).

The ocean of milk, is that of eternity, even bliss, the ocean of the Absolute. Think of Sri Visnu resting on Ananta ( the snake), the symbol for the infinite.
So we have:
Vishnu - the all pervading
Ananta - from a or not + Anta or end. So the snake that Sri Vsnu lays down on has no end, or infinite/infinity.
Ocean of Milk - throughout the veda, ocean and water is associated with consciousness. The ocean of milk ( purity or sukla of milk, finest substance, then) is the purity of consciousness. The Ocean ( without bounds) of milk , or purity and sweetness, is that pure consciousness of the transcendent. We also hear of 'streams' too... flowing waters ( of consciousness ) this is Saraswati. Flowing consciousess of luminious thought, that is , of inspiration, of richly luminious consciousness, based in the Absolute.

So we have the All Prevading, rests on the Infinite, within the transcendent, some call Bliss. This is a much different view then that of above ( and one that I subscribe to).

Now that said the devata that are rascals , some call demons, some rakshasa....we find them to be the dasyus, the danavas, the vrtas, the children of Diti or of divided nature. Some even call them the 'sense trafficker's - the horders of light.
And they hide things from the native - where? in the mountains - the symbol for hardness of consciousness. In the veda they are seen hiding the cows (gau) in the mountains. Now, why would the kavi (rishi's) mention this? Cow's are the symbols for light , spiritual light no less.
What else does the cow produce? Milk, the other symbol and butter for which we get ghee... the ghee is the symbol for the golden colored, pure, rich counsciousness! Ahhh.... all connected. But why are the danava's hiding the cows ( the light) in the Mountains? what is this hardness and this inertness? Ignorance! Ignorance that behind our thoughts is the reserviour of bliss consciousness that is there ( running) all the time, but who takes it from us? Our senses no less. ( the panis as the sense traffickers). Yet this ocean of bliss is behind the thoughts, where they are behind the senses, yes? What is there, then behind this? ....the SELF behind our 'self'.

So, once we begin to understand this, we ask the devata for help ( yajya) and through this (yajna) Soma is produced ( the delight of existence)... thus we are delighted, and bliss is obtained, even for an instant. And we as humans are attracted like bee's to honey (madhu we find in the Upanishads). Now I have not experienced this bliss, but I do experience delight from actions, not every action, but its easy to identify it when this delight pours out. This nourshes the devata and they rejoice.
Now, we gravitate to this joy and we all look for more of this. This can be 'more' fun, happiness, houses, car's, money, wifes, friendships, boats, knowledge, etc. This desire for more, more then just a fleeting moment of happiness is our march.
This is 'hard wired' into us, to seek out this joy, happiness, delight. The only place we are completely satisfied is when we bath in it. This then has us looking for this all the time ( life afer life), wanting for this non stop joy... this is the motivation to find HIM, that fullness, that Bhuma, the fulless that one bathes in the SELF and is delighted, not having to go outside ones SELF to find Fullness - that is the spiritual experince of Moksa, of being with your Ishtadevata, of Dharmamega ( cloud pouring virtue).

Its pointed out in the Gita , starting Chapt 3.9 , Krshna discusses how yajya sustains the devata and they sustain us. This is quite profound and worth the study. That is, the fruit of every action is the response of nature, yes? This is the laws of physics. We have freedom over actions alone never their fruits , says Krsna. It is our responsibility to give this offering to the devata. Krsna says 'he who enjoys their gifts ( from the devata i.e. the responses of nature) without offering to them is merely a thief' .
So , this relationship with the devata is profound and key to our upliftment and advancement...Hence the Veda's discuss this in depth, but the knowledge is given to those that study, the wise, the ones with guru's that can convert the wise sayings of the veda to the sisya, and finally to those that are posessed of the SELF. Then it all comes together.

More on this with your repsonse if you care to discuss, but wanted to start the 'ocean and water conversation' with this post. Thank you for letting me discuss this most uplifting concept.

JalamVishnuh sthalam vishnuh vishnur-aakaashmuchhate
sarvamjagam vishnuh sarvam vishnumayam jagat
translates roughly to
Water is Vishnu, Land is Vishnu, the whole sky/space is Vishnu
The whole World is Vishnu and Vishnu is the Whole World

Pranams,

atanu
05 January 2007, 09:44 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Agnideva,
I have read the following from the past post...thank you for bringing this up and your research on symbols:

The gods represent the pleasure principle in ourselves. The demons represent the pain principle. ...
Mandhara, the mountain stands for concentrationFrom my teachings and studies I have a different view of these. Not sure of which gods the author is referring to, yet if the devata, then I believe these may be a bit off the mark. The devata are in fact cosmic impulses that exist. We, in the final analysis, that is our phycial bodies are the play and display of the 3 gunas. Our SELF is devoid of these 3 guna, as IT is beyond the 3 gunas. More on this in a differnent post, I want to get to the next section ( but will address this later if I may).

The ocean of milk, is that of eternity, even bliss, the ocean of the Absolute. Think of Sri Visnu resting on Ananta ( the snake), the symbol for the infinite.
So we have:
Vishnu - the all pervading
Ananta - from a or not + Anta or end. So the snake that Sri Vsnu lays down on has no end, or infinite/infinity.
Ocean of Milk - throughout the veda, ocean and water is associated with consciousness. The ocean of milk ( purity or sukla of milk, finest substance, then) is the purity of consciousness. The Ocean ( without bounds) of milk , or purity and sweetness, is that pure consciousness of the transcendent. We also hear of 'streams' too... flowing waters ( of consciousness ) this is Saraswati. Flowing consciousess of luminious thought, that is , of inspiration, of richly luminious consciousness, based in the Absolute.

So we have the All Prevading, rests on the Infinite, within the transcendent, some call Bliss. This is a much different view then that of above ( and one that I subscribe to).

Now that said the devata that are rascals , some call demons, some rakshasa....we find them to be the dasyus, the danavas, the vrtas, the children of Diti or of divided nature. Some even call them the 'sense trafficker's - the horders of light.
And they hide things from the native - where? in the mountains - the symbol for hardness of consciousness. In the veda they are seen hiding the cows (gau) in the mountains. Now, why would the kavi (rishi's) mention this? Cow's are the symbols for light , spiritual light no less.
What else does the cow produce? Milk, the other symbol and butter for which we get ghee... the ghee is the symbol for the golden colored, pure, rich counsciousness! Ahhh.... all connected. But why are the danava's hiding the cows ( the light) in the Mountains? what is this hardness and this inertness? Ignorance! Ignorance that behind our thoughts is the reserviour of bliss consciousness that is there ( running) all the time, but who takes it from us? Our senses no less. ( the panis as the sense traffickers). Yet this ocean of bliss is behind the thoughts, where they are behind the senses, yes? What is there, then behind this? ....the SELF behind our 'self'.

So, once we begin to understand this, we ask the devata for help ( yajya) and through this (yajna) Soma is produced ( the delight of existence)... thus we are delighted, and bliss is obtained, even for an instant. And we as humans are attracted like bee's to honey (madhu we find in the Upanishads). Now I have not experienced this bliss, but I do experience delight from actions, not every action, but its easy to identify it when this delight pours out. This nourshes the devata and they rejoice.
Now, we gravitate to this joy and we all look for more of this. This can be 'more' fun, happiness, houses, car's, money, wifes, friendships, boats, knowledge, etc. This desire for more, more then just a fleeting moment of happiness is our march.
This is 'hard wired' into us, to seek out this joy, happiness, delight. The only place we are completely satisfied is when we bath in it. This then has us looking for this all the time ( life afer life), wanting for this non stop joy... this is the motivation to find HIM, that fullness, that Bhuma, the fulless that one bathes in the SELF and is delighted, not having to go outside ones SELF to find Fullness - that is the spiritual experince of Moksa, of being with your Ishtadevata, of Dharmamega ( cloud pouring virtue).

Its pointed out in the Gita , starting Chapt 3.9 , Krshna discusses how yajya sustains the devata and they sustain us. This is quite profound and worth the study. That is, the fruit of every action is the response of nature, yes? This is the laws of physics. We have freedom over actions alone never their fruits , says Krsna. It is our responsibility to give this offering to the devata. Krsna says 'he who enjoys their gifts ( from the devata i.e. the responses of nature) without offering to them is merely a thief' .
So , this relationship with the devata is profound and key to our upliftment and advancement...Hence the Veda's discuss this in depth, but the knowledge is given to those that study, the wise, the ones with guru's that can convert the wise sayings of the veda to the sisya, and finally to those that are posessed of the SELF. Then it all comes together.

More on this with your repsonse if you care to discuss, but wanted to start the 'ocean and water conversation' with this post. Thank you for letting me discuss this most uplifting concept.

JalamVishnuh sthalam vishnuh vishnur-aakaashmuchhate
sarvamjagam vishnuh sarvam vishnumayam jagat
translates roughly to
Water is Vishnu, Land is Vishnu, the whole sky/space is Vishnu
The whole World is Vishnu and Vishnu is the Whole World

Pranams,

Namaskar Yajvan ji.

Well. I could find nothing related to Neelkantha in your post. By the way, do you know a person who sometime ago appeared as Ramkish in this forum? If you do not know him then just ignore this please. Just a curiosity.

Om Namah Shivayya

yajvan
05 January 2007, 03:15 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaskar Yajvan ji.

Well. I could find nothing related to Neelkantha in your post. By the way, do you know a person who sometime ago appeared as Ramkish in this forum? If you do not know him then just ignore this please. Just a curiosity. Om Namah Shivayya
Namaste Banerjee,

Namaste Atanu Banerjee,
Yes, you are correct... Neelkantha was not in this last post.
There are two subjects going on at the same time...( go figure);
One is Neelkantha , the other is all about symbolism that has been brought up by Agnideva and the others. Some have mentioned why even consider symbolism and just read it a face value...others say, why Siva has a snake around his neck, why a blue neck, etc.

Please look on page one of the posts , where Agni Deva picks up on the following idea ( below) then continues with his last post on symbolizm.
My response tries to address this notion:
From Agnideva:
"The turbulent cosmic ocean is the mind, and the waves are endless thoughts within it. The devas and asuras are the positive and negative elements in the mind constantly battling each other, thus keeping the mind unsteady. Would this be fair to say?"

My response tries to addess the ocean, the deva, etc. Hope this helps and the post was of some value - probably best to start a new post ?
Let me do that... Also I do not know Ramkish.

Pranams,

atanu
06 January 2007, 07:55 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Banerjee,

Namaste Atanu Banerjee,
---
From Agnideva:
"The turbulent cosmic ocean is the mind, and the waves are endless thoughts within it. The devas and asuras are the positive and negative elements in the mind constantly battling each other, thus keeping the mind unsteady. Would this be fair to say?"

From Yajvan
The ocean of milk, is that of eternity, even bliss, the ocean of the Absolute.

-------

Pranams,

Namaste Yajvan ji,

I see that I received two salutations, as Banerjee and as Atanu Banerjee. Any symbolism?

Yes, I now understand that you addressed the ocean part only. In this respect, I personally feel that both the views are appropriate. One gives the microcosmic and another gives the macrocosmic view. But as it is said that the microcosm contains the macrocosm --- and consiousness is indeed the ocean. The ocean signifies the consciousness (which again is nothing but the pure bliss) and the poison, the result of our effort to extract the Ghrita (purify the consciousness).

The story also helps to get rid off the myth that there are boundaries among the Gods. In this case, Shiva becomes the sustainer and elsewhere Vishnu becomes the destroyer. Naraayana is the Guru who gives Shiva knowledge. And Shiva, as Rudra, after explaining in detail how, when, and where He worships Vishnu and Brahma, states that ALL worship Me as Naraayana all the time (Rudra Gita).

Anyway,

I may prefer to have your view on the blue throat in this post and not in a new post, since this post is dedicated.

Om Neelkantha

Znanna
07 January 2007, 01:20 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Banerjee,

Namaste Atanu Banerjee,
Yes, you are correct... Neelkantha was not in this last post.
There are two subjects going on at the same time...( go figure);
One is Neelkantha , the other is all about symbolism that has been brought up by Agnideva and the others. Some have mentioned why even consider symbolism and just read it a face value...others say, why Siva has a snake around his neck, why a blue neck, etc.

Please look on page one of the posts , where Agni Deva picks up on the following idea ( below) then continues with his last post on symbolizm.
My response tries to address this notion:
From Agnideva:

My response tries to addess the ocean, the deva, etc. Hope this helps and the post was of some value - probably best to start a new post ?
Let me do that... Also I do not know Ramkish.

Pranams,

Namaste,

In meditation, I've found that there is a point at which the "mind" struggles to retain its unity, its, um, otherness to avoid being made meaningless in the endlessness (ocean) of lack of sensation/overwhelming sensation. The balance of focus on a blinding point of black hole is not only sure death, but also is salvation in complete (as in hold not one thing back) surrender to it as well.

Y'all know I'm no hindu, so please forgive my lay interpretation; I offer it only for what its worth to any or none :)

To me, the neck relates to the throat chakra; the snake Kundalini; blue is the color of those who walk outside of time. Could it be so simple?

ZN

Agnideva
08 January 2007, 05:23 PM
Y'all know I'm no hindu, so please forgive my lay interpretation; I offer it only for what its worth to any or none :)

To me, the neck relates to the throat chakra; the snake Kundalini; blue is the color of those who walk outside of time. Could it be so simple?

ZN
Namaste ZN,

Very interesting ZN ... I never thought of it that way. The throat chakra, the vishuddha, yes, I'm sure it has something to do with that :). Outside of time also makes sense ... Mahakaleshwara. Hmm, thanks.

BTW, you need not be Hindu to understand Hindu principles, you're a walking example of that ;).

Regards,
A.

atanu
13 January 2007, 03:17 AM
Namaste ZN,

Very interesting ZN ... I never thought of it that way. The throat chakra, the vishuddha, yes, I'm sure it has something to do with that :). Outside of time also makes sense ... Mahakaleshwara. Hmm, thanks.

BTW, you need not be Hindu to understand Hindu principles, you're a walking example of that ;).

Regards,
A.

The being who is in time -- seems to have colour -- only this little, still the being who is beyond time -- white.

He stands at the sandhi, the bridge -- knowing this and that, encompassing both. Aja Ekpad.

Aja Ekpad.

Agnideva
13 January 2007, 09:17 AM
The being who is in time -- seems to have colour -- only this little, still the being who is beyond time -- white.

He stands at the sandhi, the bridge -- knowing this and that, encompassing both. Aja Ekpad.

Aja Ekpad.

Within time, Nilakantha, the blue-throated one. Beyond, white as the jasmine flower, Mallikārjuna.

Shivoham!

saidevo
03 March 2007, 05:13 AM
Bhagavan Baba's Explanation of the Story of Churning

Howard Murphet, one of the staunch devotees of Bhagavan Sathya Sai Baba, in his book "Man Of Miracles" writes about a miracle followed by Baba's explanation of its inner meaning and connection with the story of churning the milky ocean.

The Miracle that Gave the Amrita to Devotees

(http://www.saibabaofindia.com/man_of_miracles.html)

But there was one supreme production from that sand patch of which we all had a share. Baba did his outline sketch, which I could see from where I sat was a little container of some kind. Then, in the usual way, he scraped the top sand with his open hands to make a tiny hill above the drawing. Pausing a moment with a delighted smile, he felt into the crown of the hill and took out a silver-coloured container. This was of circular shape with a neck and a screw-top. At a guess its spherical bowl would be perhaps two and a half inches in diameter.

Sai Baba unscrewed the lid and a wonderful perfume pervaded the air. Putting the container to one side, he went through the same process again of drawing and mound-building. This time the product was a golden spoon like a small teaspoon. With this he stirred the contents of the bowl and, standing up, began to give some to each of his spectators.

Like the others I opened my mouth while he poured a spoonful onto my tongue. The word that came into my mind was "ambrosial"; it seemed nothing less than the food of the gods; it suggested a mixture of the essences of the most heavenly fruits, the divine archetypes of the loveliest fruits of earth. The taste is quite indescribable; it has to be experienced.

The devotees call this glorious nectar amrita, which has much the same meaning as ambrosia - the food of the immortals. Several devotees, including some westerners like Nirmalananda and Gabriela, had told me about seeing it produced on rare occasions from the sand, and all tried in vain to describe its exquisite taste and aroma. Others, including Dr. Sitaramiah, had witnessed Baba produce amrita by squeezing his own hand, and in other ways. But no one at this time had seen manifestation of amrita for about three years, and I was very grateful that Baba had given my wife and myself this personal experience of a thrilling, deeply-moving miracle. It was witnessed on this occasion at Horsley Hills by about forty-five men and more than a dozen women. Baba went around giving some to all, except to the women who were staying at Circuit House. There was enough amrita for everyone to have a spoonful each and the bowl was still not empty. Baba handed it to me to carry back to our quarters. I felt very honoured and held it carefully in my hand as we drove up the sharp bends to the crest of the hill. Sand still clung to the designs carved on the silvery metal, which I was told was the sacred alloy panchaloha. On the balcony of Circuit House I handed the container back to Baba and he straight away walked around giving some to each of the ladies who had not yet tasted the "food of the gods".

I sometimes wondered afterwards what had happened to the little bowl but about a year later a Bombay devotee told me he had visited Baba at Horsley Hills a day or two after the event and been presented with the panchaloha container. It still held some amrita which he and his family enjoyed, and the miracle bowl now occupies a place of honour in his home.

The Story of Churning and Its Inner Meaning

(http://www.saibabaofindia.com/man_of_miracles.html)

At a group meeting on the day after he had produced amrita I asked Swami about its inner meaning. He related the Hindu myth about its creation, which is briefly as follows.

Once in days of old a great rishi cursed Indra, the king of the lower gods (some rishis apparently had such tremendous power). As a result the gods and the three worlds began to lose their vigour. Vishnu the Preserver, one of the trinity forming the Hindu Supreme Godhead and therefore higher than Indra, offered the gods a solution. He told them that to save themselves they must churn the ocean of milk until from it they produced the invigorating elixir called amrita. This nectar would overcome the rishi's debilitating curse and renew the strength of the gods, and hence that of the three worlds over which they hold dominion.

Baba then spoke of the symbolic meaning in the story. The cream of truth, wisdom and immortality, symbolised by amrita, must be churned from the great cosmic ocean, the phenomenal universe in which we live and move. Because this universe is based on and must always operate on the principle of opposites, the evil forces (the demons) are as necessary as the good forces (the gods) for the churning - that is, for the continuous struggle in the lives of men. But, unfortunately, most men are like the demons: they forget the priceless product, immortality, in their chase after transient sense pleasures, symbolised by the illusion of a seductive woman.

"Once anrita, that is, 'falsehood', enters into the character", Sai Baba said, "men lose contact with amrita. He dies many deaths who is false, afraid of truth, blind to his own glorious heritage of immortality". So, he explained, when people fall a prey to pride, to attachment, to unreality, their thoughts and feelings have to be churned to bring out the dream of spiritual truth. The groups on either end of the churning rope are always the "forward-leading influences and the backward-pulling influences" - the gods and the demons, or, looked at in another way, the divine and animal forces within ourselves.

Thus the story has an inner meaning at two levels: worldly and spiritual. In the worldly sense, I think, it might refer to the continuous struggle between the forces of good and evil. The good and evil are simply men in this Kali Yuga, the good are those who try to develop the normal chakras and the bad are those who specialize on the nether chakras. Nature is the ocean of milk which is exploited and Science is the mountain that is used as the stick with Technology as the snake. The churning brings forth many objects, some good, most bad for the environment and human spiritual progress. The amrita is characterized by the sages who take birth to dispense wisdom and faith. The churning in the Kali Yuga, however, is lopsided, with more venom than nectar produced, though the nectar is more powerful. We are waiting for a Nilakantha to appear and consume the poison in one stroke and save humanity from destruction.

shian
21 March 2007, 03:01 PM
Buddhist have Nilakantha Dharani,
is Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva drink the poison (visa) of lobha, dosha and moha.

I think the important is the secret (rahasya) of the meaning of Nilakantha drink the poison.

You can download the music : http://www.k366.com/fo/music/qingjingdabeizhou.mp3 (http://www.k366.com/fo/music/qingjingdabeizhou.mp3)

and thsi is the Dharani :
http://www.e-daden.com/forum/files/nilakantha_dharani1.gif

Agnideva
21 March 2007, 03:55 PM
Namaste Shian,

Buddhist have Nilakantha Dharani,
is Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva drink the poison (visa) of lobha, dosha and moha.
I think the important is the secret (rahasya) of the meaning of Nilakantha drink the poison.
Yes, I like this interpretation! He drank the poison of greed, aversion, and delusion, the three enemies. And only when He takes away the three enemies, then the amrita (nectar of immortality) is found!!

You can download the music : http://www.k366.com/fo/music/qingjingdabeizhou.mp3 (http://www.k366.com/fo/music/qingjingdabeizhou.mp3)
and thsi is the Dharani : Thanks Shian, that Avalokiteshvara Dharani was most beautiful. I really liked listening to it :).

OM Shanti,
A.

Agnideva
24 April 2007, 11:10 AM
Namaste Shian,

Agnideva, can you tell me what the verse of Nilakantha Dharani is have related with Hinduism? (i am very interested to know, but i know a little, in that Dharani have Mahakala , its have related in Hinduism. And have a Krsna name... but now i want to know more... more... hehe..^_^..)
I am following up to your question from the other thread here. As I mentioned, there are many words used to describe Avalokitesvara, in general, and especially in the Nilakantha Dharani, that are commonly used in Hinduism with Shiva and Vishnu. The common names used in Hinduism are in bold:

>Nilakantha Dharani
>
>Namo Ratna Trayaya.
>Namah Arya Avalokitesvaraya
>Bodhisattvaya Mahasattvaya Mahakarunikaya
>Sarva Bandhana Chedana Karaya .
>Sarva Bhava Samudram Sosana Karana.
>Sarva Vyadhi Prasamana Karaya.
>Sarva Mrtyu Upadrava Vinasana Karana .
>Sarva Bhaye Sutrana Karaya.
>Tasmat Namas – Krtva Idam
>Arya Avalokitesvara Bhastinam Nilakantha
>Pi Nama Hrdayam Avarta Isyami
>Sarvartha-sadhanam Subham Ajeyam
>Sarva Bhutanam Bhava Marga Visuddhakam
>Tadyatha, Om Aloke Aloka-mati Lokati Krante.
>He Hare Arya Avalokitesvara
>Maha bodhisattva , He Boddhisattva , He
>Maha bodhisattva , He Virya Bodhisattva
>He Mahakarunika Smara Hradayam.
>Hi Hi , Hare Arya Avalokitesvara Mahesvara Parama
>Maitra-Citta Mahakarunika.
>Kuru Kuru Karman
>Sadhaya SadhayaVidyam.
>Ni Hi , Ni Hi Varnam Kamam-Game .
>Vitta-Kama Vigama.
>Siddha Yogesvara .
>Dhuru Dhuru Viryanti, Maha Viryanti .
>Dhara Dhara Dharendresvara.
>Cala Cala Vimala Amala Murte
>Arya Avalokitesvara Jina Krsna Jata-Makuta
>Valam Ma Pralamba Maha Siddha
>Vidyadhara.Vara Vara Maha Vara .
>Bala Bala Maha Bala.
>Cala Cala Maha Cala
>Krsna-VarnaNigha Krsna-Paksa Nirghatana.
>He Padma-Hasta Cara Cara Desa
>Caresvara Krsna –Sarpa Krta Yajnopavita
>Ehyehi Maha Varaha-Mukha, Tripura-Dahanesvara
>Narayana Va Rupa Vara Marga Ari .
>He Nilakantha , He Mahakara ,
>Hala hala Visa Nir-jita Lokasya.
>Raga Visa Vinasana.
>Dvesa Visa Vinasana.
>Moha Visa Vinasana
>Huru Huru Mala, Huru Huru Hare, Maha Padmanabha
>Sara Sara , Sri Sri , Suru Suru ,
>Bhuru Bhuru
>Buddhaya Buddhaya , Boddhaya Boddhaya
>Maitri Nilakantha Ehyehi Vama
>Shitha Simha-Mukha Hasa Hasa,
>Munca Munca Mahattahasam Ehiyehi Pa
>Maha Siddha Yogesvara
>Bhana Bhana Vaco
>Sadhaya Sadhaya Vidyam.
>Smara Smaratam Bhagavantam Lokita
>Vilokitam Lokesvaram Tathagatam Dadahi
>Me Drasana Kamasya Darsanam
>Pra-Hiadaya Mana Svaha.
>Siddhaya Svaha.
>Maha Siddhaya Svaha
>Siddha Yogesvaraya Svaha
>Nilakanthaya Svaha
>Varaha-Mukhaya Svaha
>Maha-dara Simha-Mukhaya Svaha
>Siddha Vidyadharaya Svaha
>Padma-Hastaya Svaha
>Krsna-Sarpa Krta Yajnopavitaya Svaha
>Maha Lakutadaharaya Svaha
>Cakrayuddhaya Svaha
>Sankha-Sabdani Bodhanaya Svaha
>Vama Skandhadesa Shitha Krsnajinaya Svaha
>Vyaghra-Carma Nivasanaya Svaha
>Lokesvaraya Svaha
>Sarva Siddhesvaraya Svaha
>Namo Bhagavate Arya Avalokitesvaraya Bodhisattvaya
>Maha Sattvaya Mahakarunikaya
>Sidhyanthu Me Mantra-Padaya Svaha .

Nilakantha is an name of Rudra-Shiva that first appears in the Yajurveda, in the Sri Rudram hymn.

Nilakantha, Maheshvara, Jata-mukuta, Siddha-Yogeshvara, Maha-Siddha, Tripura-Dahaneshvara, Mahakara, Vyaghra-Charma, Lokesvara, Sarva Siddhesvaraya, Bhagavate are all used with Shiva in Hinduism.

Hare (Hari), Padmahasta, Varaha-mukha, Narayana, Padmanabha, Simha-mukha, Bhagavanta, Lokeshvara, Lakutadhara, Cakra-yudha, Sankha, Bhagavate are all used with Vishnu in Hinduism.

Many other terms in this Dharani are commonly used in Hinduism (Vidyadhara, Dharendra, Yajnopavita, etc).

The combination of Shiva and Vishnu descriptive names used in this Dharani reminds me of Harihara (also known as Shankaranarayana). In Shaivism, Harihara is a form of Shiva, and which brings together Mahavishnu-Narayana, the Supreme Lord in Vaishnavism, and Maharudra-Shiva, the Supreme Lord in Shaivism, and shows that ultimately the Divine is One.

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00routesdata/0400_0499/pantheon/harihara/harihara.jpg
Shankaranarayana Murti

OM Shanti,
A.

atanu
24 April 2007, 11:39 AM
Namaste Shian,
-------
The combination of Shiva and Vishnu descriptive names used in this Dharani reminds me of Harihara (also known as Shankaranarayana). In Shaivism, Harihara is a form of Shiva, and which brings together Mahavishnu-Narayana, the Supreme Lord in Vaishnavism, and Maharudra-Shiva, the Supreme Lord in Shaivism, and shows that ultimately the Divine is One.

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00routesdata/0400_0499/pantheon/harihara/harihara.jpg
Shankaranarayana Murti

OM Shanti,
A.

Om Shanti

This forum should be the cleanest forum for some time to come, on account of it being driven by the Lord and driven through people like you.

Om

shian
24 April 2007, 03:28 PM
wow... thank you Agnideva.

Now, i know,
like the story in Puranas, in Shiva Purana, other Devas became lower.
in the Buddha and Bodhisattvas story, other Devas became lower.

there is MAHA KARUNA DHARANI :
NAMO RATNATRAYAYA ��
NAMO ARYAVALOKITESVARAYA
BODHISATTVAYA MAHASATTVAYA MAHAKARUNIKAYA
OM SARVA ABHAYAH SUNADHASYA
NAMO SUKRTVEMAMA ARYAVALOKITESVARAGARBHA
NAMO NILAKANTHA MAHABHADRASRAME
SARVARTHASUBHAM AJEYAM SARVASATTVANAMAVARGA MAHADHATU
TADYATHA: OM �� AVALOKE LOKITE KARATE
HARI MAHABODHISATTVA SARVA SARVA MALA MALA
MAHAHRDAYAM KURU KURU KARMAN
KURUVIJAYATI MAHAVIJAYATI
DHARADHARA DHARIN SURAYA
CHALA CHALA MAMA BRAHMARA MUKTIR
EHI EHI CHINDA CHINDA HARSAM PRACHALI
BASA BASAM PRESAYA HULU HULU MALA
HULU HULU HILE SARA SARA SIRI SIRI SURU SURU
BODHIYA BODHIYA BODHAYA BODHAYA
MAITREYA NILAKANTHA DHARSININA
PAYAMANA SVAHA. SIDDHAYA SVAHA. MAHA SIDDHAYA SVAHA
SIDDHA YOGESVARAYA SVAHA. NILAKANTHA SVAHA
VARAHANANAYA SVAHA. SIMHASIRAMUKHAYA SVAHA
SARVAMAHASIDDHAYA SVAHA. CAKRASIDDHAYA SVAHA
PADMAHASTAYA SVAHA. NILAKANTHAVIKARAYA SVAHA
MAHARSISANKARAYA SVAHA
NAMO RATNATRAYAYA
NAMO ARYAVALOKITESVARAYA SVAHA
OM �� SIDDHYANTU MANTRA PADAYA SVAHA

where i can read about creation philosopy in this forum?
i have some doubt, coz some Hindu people tell me the universe not have beginning, universe is like cycle...coz the Maya.
The story about the frist creation of universe is the symbol about ourself, from the Brahman to alaya (councosiones?/ mind?) like Buddhism philosopy about Buddhata (Buddha Nature) and alaya. In Buddhism universe is not have the frist beggining, universe is so many (trisahasra mahasahasra lokhadhatu), so, like this : ...(not beggining) ...preserv-destroy- .. creat-preserv-destroy...

but some Hindus believe universe is have the first beggining.

(i know, this is not very important, like Buddha says the very important is cure our mind to find Buddhanature. But i just want to learn the many version of cretion philosophy in Hinduism.)

Agnideva
24 April 2007, 05:21 PM
Namaskar Atanuji,

This forum should be the cleanest forum for some time to come, on account of it being driven by the Lord and driven through people like you.
Of this, there is no doubt. This forum is by far the cleanest I've come across. I thank the forum owner and moderators for keeping it that way. And yes, I do believe it is by the grace of Nilakantha Mahesvara that we are all here participating in these discussions on this particular forum.

OM Namah Shivaya.

Agnideva
24 April 2007, 05:24 PM
Namaste Shian,

Now, i know,
like the story in Puranas, in Shiva Purana, other Devas became lower.
in the Buddha and Bodhisattvas story, other Devas became lower.
Yes, you got it Shian, that's the way it works! In Vishnu Puranas, Vishnu becomes the highest and all other Devas become lower. In the Devi-Bhagavat Purana, Devi becomes the highest and all other Devas become lower. In the Ganesha purana, Ganesha is the highest, all other Devas become lower. We can go on and on ...

What's the point of all this? Focus. One needs to find one point, one form to focus upon, to meditate upon, and firmly believe that is the only and highest Divine form. The various forms are truly like rays of the sun ~ all rays really emanate from the same sun.

where i can read about creation philosopy in this forum?
i have some doubt, coz some Hindu people tell me the universe not have beginning, universe is like cycle...coz the Maya.
The story about the frist creation of universe is the symbol about ourself, from the Brahman to alaya (councosiones?/ mind?) like Buddhism philosopy about Buddhata (Buddha Nature) and alaya. In Buddhism universe is not have the frist beggining, universe is so many (trisahasra mahasahasra lokhadhatu), so, like this : ...(not beggining) ...preserv-destroy- .. creat-preserv-destroy...
but some Hindus believe universe is have the first beggining.
(i know, this is not very important, like Buddha says the very important is cure our mind to find Buddhanature. But i just want to learn the many version of cretion philosophy in Hinduism.)Shian, why don't you start a new thread on creation ... we can discuss this there, and hopefully get different perspectives from different members.

Regards,
A.

yajvan
24 April 2007, 08:04 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaste Shian,
What's the point of all this? Focus. One needs to find one point, one form to focus upon, to meditate upon, and firmly believe that is the only and highest Divine form. Regards, A.

Namaste Shian and AD,
Here is what the brahmavit's ( those established in Brahman) say of this matter:

'If a worshipper of Devi does not see her in the images of Vishnu and Shankar etc. this would imply that he is doubting the omnipresence of his Adored One. Such a devotee who sees his Adored One partially remains imperfect' Swami Brahmananada Saraswati

That is, one choosing Visnu, Devi, Siva - they are all inclusive, there is no exclusion to wholeness, to Bhuma that Visnu or Siva or Devi would not incorporate.... this is the wisdom of the brahmajnanin.

saidevo
24 April 2007, 09:40 PM
A rare form of Shiva in reclining posture is worshipped at SuruttappaLLi, Chittore district, 60 kilometers from Chennai. Called PaLLikondeeswarar, this is the form of Shiva after he felt dizzy on consuming the poison from the milky ocean and reclined on Parvati's lap. AmbaaL in this temple has the name Maduravalli.

The temple is believed to have been built during the reign of Bukraya of the Vijayanagar period. It received financial aid from Kanchi SriMaTham 50-60 years back for renovation works. It was a favourite temple of Kanchi Paramacharya.

On a personal note, me and my friends are trying to visit this temple for quite sometime, but couldn't get around to it for one reason or another. We are now waiting for Shiva's grace to make the trip possible for us.

satay
24 April 2007, 11:23 PM
Namaskar Atanuji,

Of this, there is no doubt. This forum is by far the cleanest I've come across. I thank the forum owner and moderators for keeping it that way. And yes, I do believe it is by the grace of Nilakantha Mahesvara that we are all here participating in these discussions on this particular forum.

OM Namah Shivaya.

It is only His Grace, the 'owner' of all!

shian
25 April 2007, 08:30 AM
Agnideva, do you know the meaning of every words in Nilakantha Dharani? If you know, can you help me, translate for me, like:
Nilakantha = Blue Throat.

If you have time only…^_^…
Thank you

Here is special for study and know about Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva.

Great Compassion Dharani Sutra

(Also known as:)
Maha Karuna Dharani Sutra
Maha Karunikacitta Dharani Sutra
Nilakantha Dharani Sutra

(The full title is:)
Thousand-Handed and Thousand-Eyed Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva's Vast, Perfect, Unimpeded, Great-Compassionate Heart Dharani Sutra

(Qian Shou Qian Yan Guan Shi Yin Pu Sa Guang Da Yuan Man Wu Ai Da Bei Xin Tuo Luo Ni Jing)

(Tripitaka No. 1060)

(* Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva is also known as: Contemplator of the World's Sounds/Guan Shi Yin/Guan Zi Zai Bodhisattva)

Translated during the Tang Dynasty by Shramana Bhagavat-dharma from west India.

Thus I have heard, once the Buddha was in the honorable sublime Way-place of Avalokitesvara's palace in Potalaka Mountain, sitting on a noblest lion's throne decorated with various Mani-jewels. Hundreds of jeweled streamers were hanging all around.

At that time, The Tathagata intending to explain a teaching of the Total-Retention Dharani, was sitiing on the throne, along with innumerable Bodhisattva-Mahasattvas whose names are: Dharani King Bodhisattva, Precious King Bodhisattva, Bhaisajya-Raja(Medicine King) Bodhisattva, Bhaisajya-Samudgata(Superior Medicine) Bodhisattva, Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, Mahastamaprapta(Great Strength) Bodhisattva, Avatamsaka Bodhisattva, Great Sublime Bodhisattva, Precious Deposits Bodhisattva, Virtue Store Bodhisattva, Vajragarbha Bodhisattva, Akasagarbha(Space Store) Bodhisattva, Maitreya Bodhisattva, Samantabhadra(Universal Goodness) Bodhisattva, Manjusri Bodhisattva, and so on. Such Bodhisattva-Mahasattvas are all Abhiseka(Empowerment) great dharma-princes; also along with innumerable great Sravakas(voice-hearer), all of whom practise the ten-stages of Arhat, headed by Maha-Kasyapa; also along with innumerable Devas of Brahma-Heaven, headed by Sinza-Brahma; also along with innumerable Gods of heavens of the desire realm, headed by Kubhagha-God; also along with innumerable four-guardian-gods, headed by Dhritarastra; also along with innumerable gods, dragons, Yakshas, Gandharvas, Asuras, Garudas, Kinnaras, Mahoragas, human beings, Amanusyas, headed by the Heaven-virtue great dragon king; also along with innumerable Devakanyas of heavens of the desire realm, headed by the Virgin-Eyed Devakanya; also along with innumerable Sunyatas(Gods of spaces), gods of rivers and oceans, gods of fountains and spring, gods of natural pond, gods of herb, gods of forest, gods of houses, gods of water, gods of fire, gods of earth, gods of wind, gods of ground, gods of mountains, gods of rocks, gods of palaces, and so on, came together to join the congregation.

At that time in the congregation, Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva secretly emitted his sacrosanct light, illuminated the realms of the ten directions and made one billion worlds' color turned to golden. Palaces of heavens, palaces of dragons and palaces of all gods were all shaken. Rivers, oceans, Cakravada-parvata Mountains, Sumeru Mountains, Earth Mountains, black mountains were also shaken. The light of sun, moon, pearls, fire, and stars all disappeared.

Witnessing this rare scene, Dharani King Bodhisattva was more surprised than ever before, so he arose from his seat, joined his palms and asked the Buddha with a Gatha(verse):

"Who achieved the correct-awakening today,
emitting the great bright light universally?
Colors of realms of the ten directions have all become golden,
so do one billion worlds?

Who attained the ultimate freedom today,
manifesting the rare great holy power,
innumerable pure lands of Buddhas are shaken,
so do palaces of dragons and gods?

Now the congregation are all wondering,
don't know that it's caused by the power of whom.
Is he a Buddha, Bodhisattva, or great Sravaka,
or Brahman, or gods of heavens?

Bhagavan(World-honored One), by your great compassion,
please tell us the cause of that great supernatural power."

The Buddha told Dharani King Bodhisattva: "Good man, you should know that in this congregation there is a Bodhisattva whose name is Avalokitesvara. He has achieved great kindness and great compassion since uncountable Kalpas before, and excels at practicing uncountable Dharma-gates of Dharani. In order to comfort and please all living-beings, he secretly emits that sacrosanct power.

After the Buddha said that, Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva arose from his seat, tidied up his clothes, joined his palms towards the Buddha and said:
"Bhagavan, I have a mantra of Great-Compassionate Heart Dharani and now wish to proclaim it, for comforting and pleasing all living-beings; for healing all illness; for living-beings to attain additional lifespan; for living-beings to gain wealth; for extinguishing all evil-karma and weighty sins; for keeping away from hindrance and disasters; for producing merits of all undefiled-Dharmas; for maturing all virtuous-roots; for overcoming all fears; for fulfilling all good wishes. Bhagavan, please allow me to speak."

The Buddha said: "Good man, you have great kindness and great compassion, in order to comfort and please all living-beings, you wish to speak the mantra, it's the proper time now, please speak it soon, the Tathagata compliantly rejoice, and so do all Buddhas."

Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva then said to the Buddha: "Bhagavan, I remember that incalculable billions Kalpas ago, there was a Buddha whose name is Thousand-rayed-King Motionless Tathagata. Because of his mercy and mindfulness to me and all living-beings, he spoke this Vast-Perfect-Unimpeded Great-Compassionate-Heart Dharani, rubbed my crown with his golden hand and said: "Good man, you should hold this heart-mantra to give great benefit and happiness to all living beings in the future." At that time I was just at the first of the ten Bhumis(stages of Bodhisattva), right after hearing this mantra, I exceeded the eighth Bhumi. Becoming happy, I vowed: "If I will be able to give benefit and happiness to all living beings in the future, let me have a thousand hands and a thousand eyes immediately." Instantly after the vow, I got fully a thousand hands and a thousand eyes on my body, six types of quakes occurred on the grounds of the ten directions, thousands Buddhas of the ten directions emitted their light to my body and illuminated unlimited worlds of the ten directions. From then on, in uncountable Buddha realms and congregations, I repeatedly heard, accepted and held this Dharani, and I was repeatedly pleased and joyful, thus I exceeded imperceptible births and deaths of countless billions kalpas. Since then, I have always recited, held and have never forgotten this mantra. Because of holding this mantra, I was always born naturally from lotuses in front of Buddhas, and have never be born from wombs."

"If there are monks(Bhikshus), nuns(Bhikshunis), laymen(Upasakas), laywomen(Upasikas), pure youth and maidens who wish to recite and hold(keep reciting) this mantra, they should first develop their compassionate heart for all living beings, and follow me in making these vows:

(* The pronunciation of "Namo" is [na:mo:] of international phonetic symbols)

Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, I vow that I will quickly know all Dharmas;
Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, I vow that I will soon obtain the wisdom-eyes;
Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, I vow that I will quickly ferry all living beings to the shore of liberation;
Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, I vow that I will soon obtain good expedient-means;
Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, I vow that I will quickly board the boat of Prajna;
Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, I vow that I will soon cross over the sea of suffering;
Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, I vow that I will quickly achieve precepts, Samadhi and the way;
Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, I vow that I will soon climb the mountain of Nirvana;
Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, I vow that I will quickly dwell in the house of the uncreated;
Namo great compassionate Avalokitesvara, I vow that I will soon unite with the Dharma-nature body.

If I go towards the mountain of knives, the mountain of knives by itself breaks up;
If I go towards the boiling oil, the boiling oil by itself dries up;
If I go towards the hells, the hells by themselves disappear;
If I go towards the hungry ghosts, the hungry ghosts by themselves become full.
If I go towards the Asuras, their evil thoughts by themselves are tamed.
If I go towards the animals, they by themselves attain great wisdom."

"After these vows, chant my name(Namo Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva) sincerely, also chant the name of my teacher -- Amitabha Tathagata(Namo Amitabha) sincerely, then chant this mantra, 5 times or more in a day, to extinguish weighty sins of births-and-deaths of billions Kalpas of the body."

Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva then said to the Buddha: "Bhagavan, if humans or God(Deva)s recite and hold the phrases of the Great Compassion Dharani, upon their death, all the Buddhas of the ten directions will come to receive them with their hands, and they will be reborn in whichever Buddha-land according to their wishes."

Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva continued to say to the Buddha:
"Bhagavan, Should any living being who recites and holds the holy mantra of Great Compassion fall into the three evil paths, I vow not to achieved the correct-awakening.

Should any living being who recites and holds the holy mantra of Great Compassion not be reborn in any Buddha-land, I vow not to achieve the correct-awakening.

Should any living being who recites and holds the holy mantra of Great Compassion not obtain unlimited Samadhis and eloquence, I vow not to achieve the correct-awakening.

Should any living being who recites and holds the holy mantra of Great Compassion not obtain whatever he seeks in his present life, then it cannot be called the Dharani of the Great Compassionate Heart, unless it is used by those who are not virtuous or not sincere.

If any woman who recites and holds the holy mantra of Great Compassion, dislike the troubles of female body and wishes to become male, but can not become male in the future, I vow not to achieved the correct-awakening. However, those who disbelieve this Mantra will not achieve this effect.

If anyone had stolen foods or properties of Sanghas(group of monks), penitence to his sins is useless even if a thousand Buddhas appear in the world, but now chant this Great Compassion Holy Mantra, his sins will be extinguished. If one had stolen foods or properties of Sanghas, he must repent to teachers of the ten directions to extinguish his sins. Now when chanting this mantra, teachers of the ten directions will come to bear witness, then all weighty sins and hindrances will disappear.

All the horrible sins including the Ten evil deeds, the Five heinous sins, vilifications to people, vilifications to Dharma, breaking precepts, destroying towers, wrecking temples, stealing properties of Sanghas, profaning pure(Brahma) practices, can be extinguished by chanting this Mantra, except one thing, the one without belief in this Mantra can not extinguish even small sins and karmas, not to mention weighty sins. Though the weighty sins don't disappear immediately, that chanting can still be the cause of Bodhi in the future."

Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva continue to said the Buddha:
"People and gods who recite and hold the Great Compassionate Heart Mantra will obtain fifteen kinds of good birth and will not suffer fifteen kinds of bad death. The bad deaths are:

1. They will not die of starvation or poverty;
2. They will not die from having been yoked, imprisoned, caned or otherwise beaten;
3. They will not die at the hands of hostile enemies;
4. They will not be killed in military battle;
5. They will not be killed by tigers, wolves, or other fierce beasts;
6. They will not die from the venom of poisonous snakes, black serpents, or scorpions;
7. They will not drown or be burned to death;
8. They will not be poisoned to death;
9. They will not be killed by mediumistic insects;
10. They will not die of madness or insanity;
11. They will not be killed by landslides or falling trees;
12. They will not die of nightmares sent by evil people;
13. They will not be killed by deviant spirits or evil ghosts;
14. They will not die of evil illnesses that bind the body;
15. They will not commit suicide;

Those who recite and hold the Great Compassion Holy Mantra will not suffer any of these fifteen kinds of bad death and will obtain the following fifteen kinds of good birth:

1. Their place of birth will always have a good king;
2. They will always be born in a good country;
3. They will always be born at a good time;
4. They will always meet good friends;
5. The organs of their body will always be complete;
6. Their heart will be pure and full in the way;
7. They will not violate the prohibitive precepts;
8. Their family will be kind and harmonious;
9. They will always have the necessary wealth and goods in abundance;
10. They will always obtain the respect and help of others;
11. Their riches will not be plundered;
12. They will obtain everything they seek;
13. Dragons, gods, and good spirits will always protect them;
14. In the place where they are born they will see the Buddha and hear the Dharma;
15. They will awaken to the profound meaning of that Proper Dharma which they hear.

Those who recite and hold the Great Compassionate Heart Dharani will obtain these fifteen kinds of good birth. All gods and people should constantly recite and hold it without laziness."

After saying that, the Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva joined his palms and stood upright in front of the congregation, with his great compassionate heart open for all living beings, he smiled and in this way spoke the wonderful holy phrases of the Vast, Perfect, Unimpeded, Great-Compassionate-Heart Great Dharani. The Dharani is:

Namo ratna-trayaya
Namo ariya-valokite-svaraya
Bodhi-sattvaya Maha-sattvaya Maha-karunikaya
Om sarva rabhaye sudhanadasya
Namo skrita imo
arya-valotite-svara ramdhava
Namo narakindi heri Maha-vadhi-sa-me
Sarva-arthato-subham ajeyam
Sarva-sat Namo-vasat Namo-vaka mavitato
Tadyatha
Om avaloki-lokate-krate-e-hrih Maha-bodhisattva
Sarva sarva
Mala mala
Mahi Mahi ridayam
Kuru kuru karmam
Dhuru dhuru
vijayate Maha-vijayati
Dhara dhara dhrini
svaraya cala cala
Mama vimala muktele
Ehi ehi sina sina
arsam prasari
visva visvam prasaya
Hulu hulu mara
Hulu hulu hrih
Sara sara siri siri suru suru
Bodhiya Bodhiya Bodhaya Bodhaya
Maitreya narakindi dhrish-nina bhayamana svaha
Siddhaya svaha
Maha siddhaya svaha
Siddha-yoge-svaraya svaha
Narakindi svaha
Maranara svaha
sira simha-mukhaya svaha
Sarva maha-asiddhaya svaha
Cakra-asiddhaya svaha
Padma-kastaya svaha
Narakindi-vagalaya svaha
Mavari-sankharaya svaha
Namo ratna-trayaya
Namo arya-valokite-svaraya svaha
Om Sidhyantu mantra padaya svaha

When Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva had finished speaking this mantra, the earth shook in six ways. The heavens rained precious flowers of beautiful colors. all the Buddhas of the ten directions were delighted, while the heaven-demons and heretics were so afraid that their hair stood on end. Members of the meeting achieved different fruitions, including the fruitions of stream-enterer, once-returner, non-returner, and Arhat, while others achieved the first Bhumi(stage of Bodhisattva), the second Bhumi, the third, fourth, fifth ...... up to the tenth Bhumi. Innumerable living beings arouse their Bodhi-Heart(The resolve to help all living beings to attain upmost enlightenment).

Then the great Brahma king arose from his seat, tidied up his clothes, joined his palms respectfully, and said to the Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva: "Great, Mahasattva! I had been in innumerable Buddha-meetings and heard of many kinds of Dharanis, but never heard of the wonderful holy phrases of this great Dharani of the unimpeded great compassionate heart. Mahasattva, please tell us the feature and figure of this Dharani, all of us will be pleased to know that."

Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva told the Brahma king: "For the convenience of benefiting all living beings, you have asked me this question. Now you listen carefully, I'll tell you in brief."

Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva said: "The great kind and compassionate heart, the fair heart, the uncreated heart, the unpolluted heart, the heart of emptiness observation, the respectful heart, the humble heart, the uncluttered heart, the heart without attachment to one's own view, the upmost Bodhi-heart, is the feature of this Dharani. You should practise in such manner."

Then the great Brahma king said: "We now know the feature of this Dharani, from now on, we'll recite and hold it and never forget or give it up.

Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva said: "For all virtuous men and all virtuous women who want to recite and hold this Mantra, they should arouse their vast Bodhi-heart that wish to ferry all living beings to the shore of liberation, and be vegetarians. They should arouse their fair(impartial) heart to all living beings, keep reciting this Mantra, never give up. Reside in a clean room, wash themselves clean, in clean dress, hang streamers and light up lamps, make offerings with fragrance, flowers, vegetable foods of hundreds tastes, concentrate their mind, don't think about others, recite and hold the mantra in correct manner. Then the Sunshine Bodhisattva, Moonshine Bodhisattva and innumerable gods and fairies will come to be witness and enhance the effect of the Mantra. At that time, I will shine them with a thousand eyes and protect them with a thousand hands, from then on, they will be able to understand all books of the world, and also perfectly understand all sorceries of other religions and all scriptures of Vedas. The one who recites this mantra can heal 84000 categories of diseases of the world, and also can command all ghosts and Devas, vanquish heaven-demons, tame all heretics. For anyone who is reading sutras or practicing Zen(Dhyana) in mountains or fields, if there are any mountain-spirits, ghosts, demons, monsters or Devas come to disturb and make the practitioner unable to concentrate, recite this mantra once, then all those ghosts spirits will be tied up. If one can recite this Mantra in correct manner and have merciful heart to all living beings, I will command all virtuous gods, dragon kings, Vajra secret-traces deities to guard him, the guardians will always be with him and protect him as their own eyes and lives. " Then Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva said the Gatha:

"I command the Vajra secret-traces deities, Ucchu, Kunda, Ankusa, eight clans of celestials and ShangKalas,
to guard the Mantra-holders constantly;

I command the Mahesvaras and Narayanas, Kumbhirabas and Kapilas,

I command the Pajis, Sahassakkhas, perfect-virtuous chebuds and Kimnaras,

I command the Sajamahoras, Kumbhandas, Katabhutanas, and Banjras,

I command the Bhipagara kings, and morality Vitasaharas,

I command the Brahma king Sambra, five clans of pure-abode heavens and Yamarajas,

I command the Sakra Devanam indra, thirty-three celestials(gods), Sarasvatis and Vardhanas,

I command the Dhritarastra king, Haritis, goddess and great strength Devas,

I command the Virudhaka king, Virupaksa king and Vaisravana king,

I command the golden peacock-king, and twenty-eight clans of great fairies,

I command the Manibhadra, and Pancika-imperator Phalava,

I command Nanda, Upandanda, and the Sagara dragon-king Ibhra,

I command the Asuras, Gandharvas, Karunas, Kimnaras, Mahoragas,

I command the gods of water, fire, thunder, lightning, Kumbhanda king and Pisacas,

"Those virtuous gods, dragon-kings and goddess, each along with 500 retinues of great-strength Yaksas, will always follow and guard the holders of the Great Compassion Holy Mantra. If the Mantra-holder dwells alone in void mountain or wilderness, those virtuous gods will guard him by turns to eliminate misfortunes. If the Mantra-holder loses his way in remote mountain, because of reciting this Mantra, virtuous gods and dragon-kings will transform to benefactors and tell him the correct way. If the Mantra-holder lacks water or requires fire in mountain, forest, or wilderness, the dragon-king will create water and fire for him."

Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva then said a misfortune-eliminating refreshing cool Gatha(verse):

When walking in wilderness, mountain or marsh,
if encountering tigers, wolves, or other fierce beasts,
or snakes, spirits, demons, monsters, ghosts,
they will be unable to harm the Mantra-holder when they hear this Mantra;

When voyaging on river or sea,
poisoned dragons, flood dragons and Makaras,
Yaksas, Rakshas, fishes, and soft-shelled turtles,
will dodge when they hear this Mantra;

If besieged by battle arrays or robbers,
or being robbed by villains,
recite the Great Compassion Dharani sincerely,
those villains will show mercy and go back;

If one is imprisoned by government official,
jailed, chained and locked,
the officer will show mercy and set him free;

If entered a house of a poisonous insects raising family in a woody path,
the family purpose to venom with drinks, foods or medicines,
the poison will turn to nectar;

When a woman is giving birth to a child,
evil demons comes to obstruct the birth and causing suffering and oppressive pain,
the demons will disperse, leaving a safe and comfortable birth;

If evil dragons or pestilence ghosts spread poison,
people are infected by pyrexia and about to die,
diseases will be healed and lives of people will be lengthen;

If evil dragons or ghosts spread the tumescent diseases,
people suffer from carbunculosis, sore, abscess, ulcer and bleeding,
then spit three times to the abscesses and it will be cured.

If there are muddled and wicked living beings who aroused immoral minds,
causing hatred by sending nightmares, ghosts and curses to you,
these evil spirited spells will retreat back to its original perpetrator.

When Dharma is about to disappear,
the world is evil, feculent and disordered,
people are concupiscent and swear black is white,
having adulteries with others behind their spouses,
and think of lust days and nights.
If they can recite the Great Compassion Dharani sincerely,
the fire of eroticism will quench and the evil minds will go out.

If I glorify the effect of this Mantra in detail,
even one Kalpa is not enough for the glorification."

Then Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva told the Brahmas: "Recite this Mantra 5 times, use threads of 5 colors to tie knots, then recite 21 times, tie 21 knots, wear it on neck. This Mantra has been spoken by previous 9.9 billions Ganges-river-sands Buddhas.

Those Buddhas spoke this Mantra for practitioners who practise the Six-Perfections but not yet achieve the consummation, to make them succeed quickly;

For those who have not yet aroused Bodhi-Heart, to make them arouse Bodhi-Heart quickly;

For Sravakas who have not yet achieved fruitions, to make them achieve fruitions quickly;

For all one billion worlds' gods and celestial being who have not yet aroused the upmost Bodhi-Heart, to make them arouse upmost Bodhi-Heart quickly;

For all living beings who have not yet gained the root of faith in Mahayana, with the mighty holy power of this Mantra, their seeds of Mahayana and Dharma-buds will grow quickly; with my expedient and merciful power, All of their needs will be supplied.

For three-evil-paths' living beings who living in gloomy regions of the one billion worlds, when they heard this Mantra, they will get away from suffering;

For Bodhisattvas who have not yet achieved the first Bhumi, to make them achieve quickly; even make them achieve up to the tenth Bhumi, even up to the Buddhahood, with the thirty-two marks and the eighty minor marks achieved naturally.

If any Sravakas once heard of this Mantra, practise and write this Mantra, settle down with straightforward heart in correct manner, then they will achieve the four Sramana-fruits even if they had not seek for the fruitions.

Suppose all the mountains, rivers, cliffs, oceans of the one billion worlds can be boiled; the Sumeru mountains and Cakravada-parvata mountains can be shaken, and grinded to dust, for all living beings of that number to arouse upmost Bodhi-Hearts.

If anyone prays for any wish in his present life, he should become vegetarian and keep complying with pure precepts in 21 days, and recite this Dharani, then his wishes will certainly be fulfilled. From the verge of the previous birth-and-death to the verge of the next birth-and-death, all evil karmas will be cleaned up. All the Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, Brahmas, Lord of the Heavens(Sakra Devanam-Indra), four guardian gods, fairies, dragon-kings, will bear witness."

"For any celestial or human being who recites and holds this Dharani, if he bath in rivers or seas, the nearby living-beings wet by his bath-water will have all their weighty sins cleaned and be reborn naturally from lotus in pure-lands other than this world, and will not be born from wombs, moistures, or eggs. How much more so those who recite and hold the Mantra themselves! If the Mantra-holder is walking, a wind blow his hair and clothes, then the living-beings blown by the wind that previously touched the Mantra-holder will have all their heavy obstructions and evil karmas cleansed, will not continue to suffer from karmas of three-evil-paths, and often be born in front of Buddhas. The felicities and meritorious-virtues that are accomplished by the Mantra-holder are unimaginable."

"If the Mantra-holder say anything, no matter good or bad words sounds like pure Dharma-sound for all heaven-demons, heretics, Devas, dragons, ghosts, spirits, thus they will respect the Mantra-holder as if he was a Buddha.

We should know that the one who recites and holds this Mantra is a store of Buddha-bodies, because he is cherished by 9.9 billions Ganges-river-sands Buddhas;

We should know that the Mantra-holder is a brilliant light store, because he is illuminated by light of 9.9 billions Ganges-river-sands Buddhas;

We should know that the Mantra-holder is a store of mercies and compassions, because he constantly saves living beings with this Dharani;

We should know that the Mantra-holder is a wonderful-Dharmas store, because this Dharani includes all Dharani-gates;

We should know that the Mantra-holder is a Zen store, because hundreds and thousands of Samadhis often appear in front of him;

We should know that the Mantra-holder is a spaces store, because he constantly observes living-beings with wisdom of emptiness;

We should know that the Mantra-holder is a store of intrepidities, because he is constantly guarded by dragons, gods, and virtuous gods;

We should know that the Mantra-holder is a wonderful-language store, because sound of the Dharani from his mouth is uninterrupted;

We should know that the Mantra-holder is an eternally-abiding store, because the three-disasters and evil-kalpas cannot harm him;

We should know that the Mantra-holder is a liberation store, because heaven-demons and heretics cannot detain him;

We should know that the Mantra-holder is a medicine-king store, because he constantly heals living beings with this Dharani;

We should know that the Mantra-holder is a supernatural power store, because he can freely travel round the Buddha-lands.

The glorifications for the meritorious-virtues of the Mantra-holder are endless."

"Good men, if one tire of sufferings of the world and seek for happiness of long live, he should settle down in a tranquil place, make a pure secure-boundary, recite this Mantra towards water, or foods, or spices, or medicines, chant 108 times and eat them, then he will be certain to gain a long life. If he can make secure-boundary and hold the Mantra in correct manner, then all fruits can be achieved.

The method of making secure-boundary is: Chant 21 times towards a knife, then countermark the ground with the knife to make a boundary; or chant 21 times towards white mustard seeds, then sprinkle the seeds on the ground to make a boundary; or make a boundary by mind; or chant 21 times towards clean ashes(of Incense) and make a boundary; or chant 21 times towards five-colored threads and then make a closed circle on the ground with the threads as a boundary. If one can do that in correct manner, he will achieve the goal naturally."

"If anyone heard of the name of this Dharani, his uncountable weighty sins of birth and death will be extinguished, and how much more so those who recite and hold this Mantra themselves! If anyone can know and recite this holy Mantra, we should know that he has already offered and sustained innumerable Buddhas and have widely plant his good roots. If he can recite and hold the Mantra in correct manner for relieving all suffering living beings, we should know that he is the one with the great compassionate heart, and will become a Buddha soon. If he chant for all the living beings that he see, let them hear the Mantra, to be the cause of Bodhi for them, then the meritorious-virtues that accomplished by this Mantra-holder are incalculable and the glorifications for him are endless. If he can be very sincere, be vegetarian and keep complying with pure precepts, repent previous sins for all living beings, and also repent his own previous sins that have been produced in uncountable past kalpas, keep chanting this Dharani, then he will achieve the four Sramana-fruits in his present life; if he also has the means of wisdom-observing, then achieving fruits of ten Bhumis is not difficult for him, not to mention those little felicities of the world, all of his wishes will be fulfilled. If he want to command ghosts, he should find a skull in the field, wash it clean, set up a Mandala(altar) in front of a statue of Thousand-Handed and Thousand-Eyed Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, offer and sustain it with fragrance, flowers, vegetable foods, day after day, then 7 days later, the ghost will come and obey his orders. If he want to command four guardian gods, chant towards a sandalwood and then burn it, he can achieve the goal because the power of the Bodhisattva's great compassionate vows are deep and weighty, also because that the power of this holy Dharani is mighty and vast."

The Buddha told Ananda: "When there are catastrophes in a country, if the king of the country can manage state affairs in correct manners, be lenient to his people, do not do anybody an injustice, and absolve people from blames, in 7 days and 7 nights, both his body and his mind can be sincere and diligent, to recite and hold this Great Compassionated Heart Dharani Holy Mantra, then all the catastrophes of his country will disappear, the five kinds of crops will be abundant and the people will rest in peace and happiness.

If a country is invaded by enemies from other countries, people are unsafe and ministers are traitorous, pestilences are spreading everywhere, the rains and the droughts are unbalanced and unseasonable, the sun and the moon lost their accuracy, when such disasters come, the people should make a statue of Thousand-Handed and Thousand-Eyed Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, face to west, offer and sustain the statue sincerely with fragrance, flowers, streamers, ceremonial canopies, or vegetable foods of hundreds tastes, then in 7 days and 7 nights, if the king of the country can recite and hold the Great Compassionated Heart Dharani Holy Mantra, with both his body and mind sincerely and diligently, then the foreign enemies will be tamed and go back to their own countries and stop the intrusion, other countries will be merciful to this country, the prince and the officers will be loyal, the queen, the prince's wife, and the maids will also be loyal to the king. Dragons, ghosts and spirits will support this country, rains will be seasonal, fruits will be abundant, and people will be happy.

If anyone in a family get a evil disease, hundreds of monsters appear, ghosts, spirits, demons come to annoy and demolish the family; being maligned by villains and the members of the family are disharmonious. They should set up a Mandala(altar) in front of a statue of Thousand-Handed and Thousand-Eyed Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, chant the name of Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva sincerely, and then chant this Dharani 1000 times, then all the misfortunes above will disappear, the family will be peaceful forever."

Ananda asked the Buddha: "Bhagavan, what is the name of this Mantra? How to uphold it?"

The Buddha told Ananda: "This holy Mantra has many names, one of them is Vast Perfect, another is Unimpeded Great Compassion, another is Relieve-Suffering Dharani, another is Extend-Life Dharani, another is Extinguishing evil destinies Dharani, another is Break hindrance of evil karmas Dharani, another is Fulfill-wishes Dharani, another is Free and Self-master Dharani, another is Quickly exceed the upper stages Dharani. Thus should you respectfully uphold it."

Then Ananda asked the Buddha: "Bhagavan, what is the name of this Bodhisattva, who is so good to teach us this Dharani?"

The Buddha said: "This Bodhisattva is called Avalokitesvara, also called Nimsor, also called Thousands light eyes. Good man, this Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva has unimaginable mighty and holy powers. Uncountable kalpas before, he had been a Buddha named True Dharma enlightenment Tathagata. Because of the power of his great compassionate vows, in order to call upon all Bodhisattvas to comfort and please all living beings, he appear as a Bodhisattva. All of you, including Bodhisattvas, Brahmas, Gods of 33 heavens, dragons, Devas, should show respect to him, do not despise him. All celestial and human beings should offer and sustain him constantly, chant his name, then you will get infinite felicities and extinguish incalculable sins, and will be reborn in the pure-land of Amitabha Buddha at the end of your lives.

The Buddha told Ananda: "The Mantra spoke by Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva is veracious. If you wish to invite this Bodhisattva to come, chant the Mantra 21 times towards a Guggula and burn it, then this Bodhisattva will come."

"If being possessed by a soul of cat, find a discarded cat's skull, burn it to ashes, mix the ashes with clean soil, then use it to shape a cat. In front of a statue of Thousand-Handed and Thousand-Eyed Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, chant 108 times towards a wrought iron knife, then cut the model into 108 pieces with the knife. Chant once and cut once and say his name once, then the cat's soul will leave."

"If harmed by mediumistic insects(Gu), mix Karpura with same bulk of Guggula, add 1 bowl of Well-flower-water and decoct them into 1 bowl of decoction; when done, chant 108 times towards the decoction In front of a statue of Thousand-Handed and Thousand-Eyed Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, then take the decoction, the illness will be healed."

(*[Note] Well-flower-water: the purest water from the well; each morning, the very first bucket of water from the well)

"If stung by snakes or scorpions, chant 7 times towards some powder of dry gingers, apply the powder on the sores and they will be healed."

"If being hated by some person, find some clean soil, or flour, or wax, to shape the enemy's body. In front of a statue of Thousand-Handed and Thousand-Eyed Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, chant 108 times towards a wrought iron knife, then cut the model into 108 pieces with the knife. Chant once and cut once and say his name once, and then burn up all 108 pieces. After that, the enemy will be happy, will respect you and will like to befriend you for his entire life."

"For eye-diseases, find a Haritaki, a Amatakis, a Vihetaki, grind them into powder. During grinding, one must be careful, do not be seen by women who have just given birth, nor by pig or dogs. Chanting Amitabha, mix the powder with white-honey or human milk. The human milk must be from a mother of a boy, not from mothers of girls. When the medicine is done, in front of a statue of Thousand-Handed and Thousand-Eyed Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, chant 1008 times towards the medicine, then apply it on the sick eye for 7 days, stay in room and do not be blown by wind, then the eyes will recover and function well."

"if bitten by snakes, get some earwax of that person, chant 21 times towards the earwax, apply on his sore, then it will be healed."

"If infected by malaria and about to die, find a peach-glue as big as a normal peach, add 1 bowl of clean water and decoct them into half bowl of decoction. When done, chant 7 times towards the decoction, take them all, than the disease will be healed. The medicine should not be decocted by women."

"If being possessed by ghosts, chant 21 times towards a Guggula and burn it to fume the nostrils, also find 7 Guggulas as big as rabbit dung, chant 21 times towards each of them and take them, do not drink alcohol, do not eat meat or the five-pungencies, do not abuse others, and find some arsenic sulphide, mix it with white mustard seeds and YanSheng-salt, then chant 21 times towards the mixture and burn it under the bed of the patient, then the possessing ghost will run away and not dare to stay.

(*[Note] The five-pungencies are: onions, leeks, garlic, chives or shallots)

"For deafness, chant towards sesame oil and drop the oil into ears, then the disease will be healed."

"If suffering from hemiplegias, or having noses or ears stopped up, or being unable to move hands and feet because of apoplexy, mix sesame oil with Green-wood-spices and decoct, chant 21 times towards the mixture, and apply it on the body, then the diseases will be healed. Another prescription: Chant 21 times towards some ghee, and apply it on the body, then the diseases will be healed."

"For dystocias, chant 21 times towards sesame oil and apply on both the navel and the jade-gate of the woman who is giving birth, then there will be an easy birth."

"If a baby had died in the womb, find 1 Liang of hyssops, mix with 2 bowls of clean water, and decoct into 1 bowl of decoction. Chant 21 times towards the decoction and take it, then the dead baby will come out, and the woman will not be in pain. If the placenta could not come out, take the decoction again, then it will be fine."

"For cardiodynias, find a fume-land-spice with mature papillas, chant 21 times towards it, chew and swallow it. After a while, the medicine swallowed will transform, then vomit them out, the disease will be healed. Do not eat Five-pungencies or meat, do not drink alcohol."

"If burned by fire, chant 21 times towards some dung of black cows, apply them on the sores, the pain will be healed."

"If one's heart is being attacked by ascarids, chant 21 times towards some urine of white horses and take it, then the disease will be healed. If the disease is serious, take more medicine up to 1 bowl, then the ascarids will be expelled out like a group of ropes "

"For Ding-sores, find some Ling-Xiu-leaves, grind them and get the juice, chant 21 times towards the juice, apply the juice to the sores, then the disease will be healed."

"If one's eyes were bitten by flies, find some new dung of donkey, filter it and get the liquid, chant 21 times towards the liquid, drop it into the eyes when lying on the bed at night, then the disease will be healed."

"For bellyaches, mix Well-flower-water with YanSheng-salt to make 21 pellets, chant 21 times towards them, take them, then the disease will be healed."

"For red-eyed diseases, or neoplasms in eyes, or cataracts, find some medlar leaves, grind them and get their juice, chant 21 times towards the juice, put some bronze coppers into the juice for a night, chant 7 times more, drop the juice into the eyes, then the disease will be healed."

"For phobias, make a rope with white threads, chant 21 times towards it, tie 21 knots, and wear it on neck, then the fear will disappear. Not only would the fear disappear, sins will also be extinguished."

"If there are calamities in home, find a guava branch, cut it into 1008 segments, apply ghee-honey on both ends of them, chant once and burn one segment, burn up all 1008 segments, then all calamities will disappear. This must be done in front of the Buddhas."

"If the Mantra-holder chant 21 times towards a white flagleaf, wear it on the right arm, then he will always win victories at the fighting places and polemical places "

"If the Mantra-holder find some leaves and branches of SiaSiaMi, cut them into 1008 segments, apply true-ghee and white-honey-ghee on both ends of them, chant once and burn one segment, burn up all 1008 segments. Do that 3 times each day, for 7 days, then the Mantra-holder will comprehend the through-Wisdom by himself."

"If you wish to tame powerful ghosts or spirits, find some Wood-Wan-Zis, chant 49 times towards them, apply ghee-honey on them, and burn up them. This must be done in front of a statue of Great Compassionate Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva."

"If you put 1 Liang of bezoar into a lapis-lazuli bottle, then put the bottle in front of a statue of Great Compassionate Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, chant 108 times toward it, apply the bezoar on the body and the middle of the forehead, then All gods, dragons, ghosts, spirits, human and non-human beings, will be pleased."

(* Liang: A Chinese measurement)

"If being chained and locked, find some dung of white pigeons, chant 108 times towards them, apply them on the hand and rub the chain and lock, then they will break off."

"If husband and wife hate each other, just like water and fire, find some feathers of the tail of mandarin ducks, in front of a statue of Great Compassionate Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, chant 1008 times towards the feathers and wear them, then the husband and the wife will love and respect each other for their whole life."

"If seeds of fruits in farm are being eaten by insects, find some clean ashes, or clean sands, or clean water, chant 21 times towards them, sprinkle them around the farm and the seeds, then the insects will quit. For fruit trees, sprinkle the Mantra-water on the trees, then the insects will not dare to eat the fruits."

The Buddha told Ananda: "
For richness, treasures, or various materials, use the Wish-fulfilling pearl Mudra(gesture).

If life is unstable and seeks for a stable life, use the Pasa(lasso) Mudra.

For diseases in stomach, use the Precious bowl Mudra.

For vanquishing all demons, monsters, ghosts, and spirits, use the Precious glave(double edge sword) Mudra.

For vanquishing all heavenly demons and Devas, use the Vajra Mudra.

For taming all enemies, use the Vajra pestle Mudra.

For eliminating all fears, use the Fearless-Giving (Abhayam-dada) Mudra.

For healing dim eyes, use the Sun-quintessence Mani Mudra.

For refresh cool to heal pyrexias, use the Moon-quintessence Mani Mudra.

For high post, use the Precious bow Mudra.

For meeting all good friends earlier, use the Precious arrow Mudra.

For healing various diseases on one's body, use the willow branch Mudra.

For extinguishing evil obstacle and misfortunes of one's body, use the White whisk Mudra.

For pacification of kinfolks, use the Precious vase Mudra.

For evading all tigers, wolves, jackals, panthers, and other fierce beasts, use the PongPie Mudra.

For always resting in peace and avoiding being imprisoned, use the Axe-tomahawk Mudra.

For commanding men and women, use the Jade bracelet Mudra.

For various merits and virtues, use the White lotus Mudra.

For rebirth in pure lands of the ten directions, use the Green lotus Mudra.

For great wisdom, use the Precious mirror Mudra.

For personally meeting all Buddhas of the ten directions, use the Purple lotus Mudra.

For underground precious deposits, use the Precious box Mudra.

For achieving the immortal(rsi) Way(Tao), use the Five colored cloud Mudra.

For rebirth in Brahma heaven, use the Bath bottle Mudra.

For rebirth in heavenly palaces, use the Red lotus Mudra.

For vanquishing traitors of other places, use the Precious halberd Mudra.

For summoning all virtuous heavenly gods, use the Precious trumpet shell Mudra.

For commanding all ghosts and spirits, use the Skull staff Mudra.

For Buddhas of the ten directions coming to receive with their hands quickly, use the Prayer beads Mudra.

For achieving all superior wonderful Brahma sounds, use the Precious bell Mudra.

For the ability of speaking elegant languages, use the Ratna(Precious) seal Mudra.

To be constantly guarded by virtuous gods and dragon kings, use the Kusinagara iron hook Mudra.

For mercifully protecting all living beings, use the Khakkhara(Monk's Iron Staff) Mudra.

For all living beings to respect and love each others, use the Joining palms Mudra.

For always being reborn beside Buddhas for all lifetimes, use the Nirmana(Miraculously Created) Buddha Mudra.

To be always reborn in palaces of Buddhas for all lifetimes, and never be born from wombs, use the Nirmana-Palace Mudra.

For eruditeness, use the Precious Sutra Mudra.

For never to retrogress or lose the Bodhi-Heart from this present life to the life being a Buddha, use the Non-retrogression gold wheel Mudra.

If you wish the Buddhas of the ten directions to come quickly to rub your summit and award you the mark of future Buddhahood, use the Summit Nirmana Buddha Mudra.

For fruits, melons, corns and crops, use the Grape Mudra.

There are thousands of such requesting Mudras, now I have just curtly said some of them."

The Sunshine Bodhisattva then spoke a great holy Mantra for supporting the Mantra-holders of the Great Compassionate Heart Dharani:

"Namo Buddha Kunami, Namo Dharma Mahadi, Namo Samgha Tayeni, DhriBhuBhi Sattva Yam Namo"

"This Mantra can extinguish all sins. also can evade demons and disasters. If one can chant once and bow to Buddhas once, 3 times daily, chant and bow to Buddhas, then on the next life, he will get the delightful result that all of his facial features are handsome."

The Moonshine Bodhisattva also spoke a Dharani Mantra for supporting practitioners:

"Sumdhidi Tusuza Ahjamidi Uduza SumKiza Bolaidi Yemijaza Uduza Kuladiza Kimoza Svaha"

"Make a rope with five colored threads, chant this Mantra 5 times toward the rope, and wear on the sore. This Mantra had been spoken by the previous 40 Ganges-river-sands Buddhas, now I also speak it, for supporting all practitioners, for eliminating all obstacles and calamities, for healing all diseases, for relieving all sufferings, for accomplishing all virtuous Dharmas, for eliminating all fears."

The Buddha told Ananda: "You should accept and uphold this Great Compassion Dharani with a deeply pure heart, spread it abroad widely throughout Jambudvipa and never allow it to be lost. This Dharani can bring great benefit for all living beings of the three realms of Samsara, all living beings suffering from diseases can use this Dharani to heal their diseases. Even withered trees can grow new branches and fruits when being chanted towards with this great holy Mantra. Thus, it's impossible that diseases of sentient and conscious beings cannot be healed by this Mantra. Good man, the mighty and holy power of this Dharani is unimaginable, unimaginable, the glorifications for it are endless. Not having widely planted good roots from previous lives, one can not hear even the name of this Dharani, not to mention the contents. You of the assembly, gods, human beings, dragons, spirits, should also glorify it while hearing my glorifications. Slandering this Mantra is equal to slandering those 9.9 billions Ganges-river-sands Buddhas. If anyone doubt, or don't believe in this Dharani, we should know that he will lose the supreme blessing for eons, he will fall into the evil destinies constantly in thousands of kalpas and unable to escape; he will be unable to see the Buddhas, unable to hear the Dharmas, and unable to see the Sanghas for a long time."

After hearing the Buddha glorified this Dharani, the assembly: Bodhisattva-Mahasattvas, Vajra secret-traces deities, Brahmas, gods, the four heavenly kings, dragons, ghosts, spirits, were all pleased, and practise as taught.

(End of Translation)
(Translated into English by Silfong Chen)
(Special thanks to Padma Te Yuen for grammar correction)

Agnideva
25 April 2007, 10:51 AM
Namaskar Yajvan,

Hari Om
'If a worshipper of Devi does not see her in the images of Vishnu and Shankar etc. this would imply that he is doubting the omnipresence of his Adored One. Such a devotee who sees his Adored One partially remains imperfect' Swami Brahmananada Saraswati

there is no exclusion to wholeness, to Bhuma that Visnu or Siva or Devi would not incorporate.... this is the wisdom of the brahmajnanin.
I completely agree with you, and the good Shankaracharya. To be able to see one's chosen form of Divine in all other forms is the very essence of all branches of Sanatana Dharma non-dualistic teaching. Saivite non-dualism tells us the same: "Siva has no form, all forms are His; Siva has no names, all names are His."

OM Shanti,
A.

Agnideva
25 April 2007, 03:56 PM
Agnideva, do you know the meaning of every words in Nilakantha Dharani? If you know, can you help me, translate for me, like:
Nilakantha = Blue Throat.
If you have time only…^_^…
Thank you

Namaste Shian,

You can see the translation for the shortened form of Nilakantha Dharani on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Compassion_Mantra#Hindu_account

Otherwise, download this pdf page: http://www.thdl.org/texts/reprints/kailash/kailash_07_01_01.pdf - it gives translations of two versions and some backgrounds on the Nilakantha Dharani.

OM Shanti,
A.

shian
26 April 2007, 01:55 AM
wow...

thank you Agnideva...^_^...

shian
11 May 2009, 10:22 PM
The Form of Nilakantha Avalokitesvara according of Buddhism Taisho Tripitaka in Tantra part: No. 1111

「次當說此青頸觀自在菩薩畫像法。
This is the way to draw Nilakantha Lokesvara Bodhisattva :

其像三面,當前正面作慈悲凞怡貌,右邊作師子面,左邊作豬面。
He have three face, main face is peacefull face with compassion, right face is Lion face, and the left is Boar.

首戴寶冠,冠中有化無量壽佛。
His head have crown with Amitayus Buddha in middle of crown.

又有四臂,右第一臂執杖,
He have 4 arms : right first arm is hold a Gadha (like stick weapon)

第二臂執把蓮花,
right second is Padma

左第一執輪,
left first is Cakra

左第二執螺。
left second is Sankha

以虎皮為裙,
He wear Tiger skin

以黑鹿皮於左膊角絡,被黑蛇以為神線。
In left arm is wearing black deer skin, and He wear Black Snake as Devapavita.

於八葉蓮花上立,瓔珞臂釧鐶珮光焰莊嚴其身,
Standing in eight petaled lotus, and many jewels shine

其神線從左膊角絡下。
The Devapavita is from left shoulder

「其青頸印:
in this is Nilakantha Mudra :

「二手外相叉,左大母指插入掌,
右大母指直豎,二中指作蓮花葉形,二無名指直豎,
二小指左押大豎相叉。」

i understand this mudra but i cant explain in english.

Nilakantha Lokesvara is Hari Hara, Shiva Vishnu Avalokitesvara is one