PDA

View Full Version : Namaste

Shaeykh
08 July 2011, 08:26 AM
Namaste,

My name is Logan, I am 24 - from Florida. I come from a Christian family and background. I attended Christian schools and aspired for Ministry. I was eventually ordained as a Protestant Pastor.

After rigorous Bible study I left Christianity and studied for conversion to Judaism for two years because I felt that the Christian scriptures pointed more heavily toward Judaism than to Jesus. However, during this time I saw more of Judaism than interested me and decided against it. Please do not think this is about not wanting to take on daily prayers, or other rituals or meditations. These are things I liked about the following. I will not speak openly of some of that which I experienced primarily to avoid spreading negative energy - much of what I saw was either hate-filled or petty, and that is not what I wanted to accept as my own tradition.

I have also studied Islam, but never for conversion and more for the chance to get to learn more.

After much time exploring Scriptures and introspection I feel like these are truths of the Universe, Creation if you will, and this is the first time I have compiled them:

1) There is One Supreme, formless Consciousness that Creates, Sustains, Maintains, and Destroys
2) There are many paths leading to this One Supreme Being
3) There are many manifestations of this Being that have, over time, appeared and revealed paths to consciousness of this Being appropriate to the time, place, culture, and language of the people.
4) That though we have free-will, this free-will is impacted by our previous actions in a constant cause-and-effect cycle. Goodness begets goodness, foulness begets foulness
5) It is, firstly, prayer and meditation that lead to consciousness of the Supreme Being and of the Higher Self.
6) It is, secondly, works that allow one to refine oneself further and allow for one to facilitate the Light of the Supreme Consciousness to shine throughout Creation.
7) Restrictive dogmas hinder, rather than facilitate, the path to the Supreme One. It should be up to what works for particular followers rather than what works for the masses.

These are the most basic tenets of what I feel forms the proper mindset for further exploration into religion and spirituality. After considering these, I felt drawn to Sanatana Dharma. Please tell me, am I wrong in this?

I beg to be accepted as a humble servant of the Supreme Being who is here solely to learn and partake of the abundant wisdom available here.

Most respectfully and peacefully,
Logan

Eastern Mind
11 July 2011, 07:46 AM
Vannakkam Shaeykh; (Boy that's hard to copy.:)) Well, it sure sounds like Sanatana Dharma to me. Welcome to these forums.

Sanatana dharma encompasses a wide range of ideas and philosophies. Best wishes with your seach.

Aum namasivaya

sunyata07
11 July 2011, 09:53 AM
Namaste Logan,

Welcome to these forums. Your theological views of the universe and how it functions seems to definitely be tending towards the common viewpoint held within Sanatana Dharma. I, too, began coming to this forum, initially to learn more of this great and ancient faith. Even now 2-3 years down the line and I still find I am very much a newcomer. Humbling, really. I hope you will find it rewarding to be here with us and that you can find the answers to some of your questions.

Om namah Shivaya

Obelisk
11 July 2011, 10:32 AM
Hi Logan,

Welcome! Your spiritual views do seem very close to what's generally accepted in Sanatana Dharma. Hope you find the discussions and information here to be useful. All the best! :)

Shaeykh
11 July 2011, 12:19 PM
Namaste,

Thank you all very much for the warm words of welcome. I look forward to learning more, as well as becoming an active and beneficial part of the community here. :)

I just got my first copy of the Bhagavad Gita and can't wait to digest it. I did a little research and found one I like a lot, this one (http://www.amazon.com/Bhagavad-Gita-Beloved-Lords-Secret/dp/0061997307/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310404726&sr=1-1).

Thank you all again!

devotee
11 July 2011, 10:40 PM
Namaste Shaeykh,

You appear to be quite a knowledgeable person. Welcome to the forums ! :)

BTW, why did you choose a Muslim name ? I initially thought you were a usual Muslim freak coming here for "I don't know what !".

OM

Shaeykh
12 July 2011, 04:06 PM
Namaste Shaeykh,

You appear to be quite a knowledgeable person. Welcome to the forums ! :)

BTW, why did you choose a Muslim name ? I initially thought you were a usual Muslim freak coming here for "I don't know what !".
OM

Namaste

I had previously studied Islam and Arabic and, due to my appreciation and admiration of Arabic, have been using an Arabic title for a while. The title means "religious scholar", which I currently consider myself.

I apologize if anyone got the wrong idea! :(

Most respectfully,

Ramakrishna
13 July 2011, 01:37 AM
Namaste Shaeykh,

Welcome to HDF. It sounds like Sanatana Dharma is just right for you. I look forward to your posts.

Jai Sri Ram

Friend from the West
14 July 2011, 06:31 PM
Namaste Shaeykh,
Welcome to HDF. I wish you an enjoyable time here. The folks here are both knowledgeable and patient. I think I appreciate both of these traits equally :)

AmIHindu
15 July 2011, 02:30 PM
Namaste Shaeykh,

Welcome to HDF. At good time you have started your spiritual journey.