PDA

View Full Version : The last remnants of my old life are swept away

Jainarayan
08 July 2011, 08:42 PM
When I joined the Eastern Orthodox Church around 1983 (but dropped out at least 15 years ago) I was given an icon of Jesus Christ as O Pantocrator ("The Ruler of All" in Greek) as a token of welcome. It has been on a wall with a hanging lamp in front of it, as is the Orthodox custom. More out of habit than anything else.

Tonight it has been replaced by this 8x10" image of Sri Krishna and Radha, in a nice gilded frame:

http://students.ou.edu/P/Bijal.M.Patel-1/radha_krishna.jpg

I had other Orthodox icons scattered about also. They've been removed and in their place, I've put images of our devas and devis. I read somewhere it's good to have images of the deities around, to bring positive energy.

Those Christian icons represent something that is no longer a part of my life.

Ramakrishna
08 July 2011, 10:34 PM
Namaste Minotaur,

That is great to hear! Best wishes on a continued Hindu lifestyle.

Jai Sri Krishna

Eastern Mind
08 July 2011, 10:45 PM
http://students.ou.edu/P/Bijal.M.Patel-1/radha_krishna.jpg
I read somewhere it's good to have images of the deities around, to bring positive energy.

Vannakkam Minotaur: Our house is like that. There are pictures of Gods all over the place. But you really know you have changed when you can't even dream of an old lifestyle. That's an indicator of how much your subconscious has really adjusted. It does take time. Since I never had a previous religion, I don't dream of that, but I still dream childhood things like baseball or the school I went to 40 years ago sometimes. Its still dissolving in the blob of subconscious matter.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
08 July 2011, 10:49 PM
Thank you. ;) Despite negative things going on in my life, I have a lot of faith in the Lord, His love, help and mercy. I feel more of what's meaningful now than I ever did before in my life. I feel like He's right here. I never felt that before.

Jainarayan
08 July 2011, 10:55 PM
Vannakkam Minotaur: Our house is like that. There are pictures of Gods all over the place.

Yeah, it's looking like a temple these days. :D

But you really know you have changed when you can't even dream of an old lifestyle. That's an indicator of how much your subconscious has really adjusted. It does take time.

Aum Namasivaya

I was feeling a distance from the churches (RC & EO), but I feel it more than ever now. No, I see it. I see and feel how excluding Xtianity is. I began distancing myself off because of that exclusivity. And now that it's complete, 'tis true, I can't even fathom the old ways and beliefs. Hinduism is just so natural feeling.

NayaSurya
08 July 2011, 11:50 PM
Sounds like your "island" is coming along nicely.:p

Arjuni
08 July 2011, 11:51 PM
Namasté,

Minotaur, that is a deeply significant act. What a stunningly beautiful image you've chosen, as well!

I feel like He's right here. I never felt that before.
This was when I too knew I'd made the right choice.

I have a question, also. I've read that all deity images in the home should be, if not cared for as thoroughly as they are in a shrine, at least honoured daily with incense or light. Is this so? I've specifically refrained from hanging deity images in my home because I've been so busy lately (16-18 hour work days, hooray :rolleyes: ) that I'm afraid I would overlook those pictures and afford them no respect.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Sahasranama
09 July 2011, 12:43 AM
Minotaur, you have taken an important step. It is a little similar to taking a new job. If you take a new job seriously and want to dedicate to it fully, you don't remain part time employed at your old job. In a way you have to surrender which is called sharanagati. Clinging to an old job, means little faith in the new job as a means of income or satisfaction. It is good to see that you have overcome the need to see Jesus as even relevant to Hinduism. It's also good to see that you have understood the problems with Christianity itself. Taking on a new religion can be more of a evolutionairy process rather than a revolutionairy one. You may catch yourself now and then thinking like a Christian. The remedy to that is to keep learning about Hinduism. There's no formal initiation to Hinduism, but there are several sanskaras and forms of dikshas. Removing pictures of Jesus from your house and replacing them with Hindu gods can be as significant as initiation, mentally it can have the same effect on you. It signifies a new resolve in your life.

Onkara
09 July 2011, 12:44 AM
I am sure such beautiful pictures will help your mind focus on the beauty of divine love. How can you help but be a part of that love. :)

Sahasranama
09 July 2011, 12:56 AM
Namasté,

I have a question, also. I've read that all deity images in the home should be, if not cared for as thoroughly as they are in a shrine, at least honoured daily with incense or light. Is this so? I've specifically refrained from hanging deity images in my home because I've been so busy lately (16-18 hour work days, hooray :rolleyes: ) that I'm afraid I would overlook those pictures and afford them no respect.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
Namaste,

It is not mandatory, but we do arati of some of the images after pujas. It only becomes mandatory of doing prana pratishta.

Onkara
09 July 2011, 01:27 AM
Namaste,

It is not mandatory, but we do arati of some of the images after pujas. It only becomes mandatory of doing prana pratishta.

Sahasranama, I am glad you wrote that.
I feel we need to guard against superstitions, if we start to bow at every image in our home we could soon be bowing a dozen times to the pictures between our sitting room and our bathroom, imagine the inconvenience when in a hurry. :D

Jokes aside, I feel images and the like are a powerful addition to our homes and it is right to understand how our attitudes will be and likewise how to react to the skeptical guests and their comments... :)

Jainarayan
09 July 2011, 08:01 AM
Sounds like your "island" is coming along nicely.

Haven. ;)

Namasté,

Minotaur, that is a deeply significant act. What a stunningly beautiful image you've chosen, as well!

I feel like He's right here. I never felt that before.
This was when I too knew I'd made the right choice.

It is beautiful, isn't it? :) I found that on the 'net under 'Krishna Radha' images. There are some beautiful images available of all the deities. I right click, Save Picture As to my Deities pictures folder. Then I use Windows print function, highly quality option to print on photographic paper. This is how I did my wallet size and 4x6 pics. I carry some in my wallet, I have a couple in the truck, as well as a small Ganesha murthi velcroed to the dashboard. Seeing these keeps me grounded and keeps me from having bad thoughts about other drivers. So you know the power of the Gods!

Minotaur, you have taken an important step. It is a little similar to taking a new job. If you take a new job seriously and want to dedicate to it fully, you don't remain part time employed at your old job. In a way you have to surrender which is called sharanagati. Clinging to an old job, means little faith in the new job as a means of income or satisfaction. It is good to see that you have overcome the need to see Jesus as even relevant to Hinduism. It's also good to see that you have understood the problems with Christianity itself. Taking on a new religion can be more of a evolutionairy process rather than a revolutionairy one. You may catch yourself now and then thinking like a Christian. The remedy to that is to keep learning about Hinduism. There's no formal initiation to Hinduism, but there are several sanskaras and forms of dikshas. Removing pictures of Jesus from your house and replacing them with Hindu gods can be as significant as initiation, mentally it can have the same effect on you. It signifies a new resolve in your life.

Thanks for that insight. I admit I clung to my old beliefs thinking they were compatible, but they are not. I can't deny that Jesus said some wise things, but of course, so did Mark Twain. :p It's true that you cannot serve two masters. In this case, you cannot follow two belief systems/religions. And I've chosen, the true Sanātana Dharma.

I am sure such beautiful pictures will help your mind focus on the beauty of divine love. How can you help but be a part of that love.

Yes, as I said above, seeing them keeps you grounded and reminded that God is with us.

Namaste,

I wondered about that also. I think a loving glance is appropriate. After all, what did the Lord say... "If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it." ;)

NayaSurya
09 July 2011, 10:47 AM
I think one of the best things in the world is to be surrounded by all of these Beautiful Images of Beloved in all His Wonderful Forms and give Love to our family(children pets parents)...sitting there under Beloved coloring pictures with my lil Portions here...it's perfect Love.

sunyata07
09 July 2011, 11:16 AM
Namaste Minotaur,

What a beautiful picture of the Divine pair you have chosen for your home! I'm glad to hear things are working out so well for you now in your new spiritual path. I personally think pictures of the Devas are always so much more vibrant and beautiful than some images you find in devotional Christian art which always slightly unnerved me.

I feel more of what's meaningful now than I ever did before in my life. I feel like He's right here. I never felt that before.

To have that feeling that He is ever-present with you must be a tremendous comfort. Even the worst storms that come with life can be weathered with His love shining constantly in the heart.

Om namah Shivaya

Jainarayan
09 July 2011, 01:14 PM
To have that feeling that He is ever-present with you must be a tremendous comfort. Even the worst storms that come with life can be weathered with His love shining constantly in the heart.

Om namah Shivaya

Indeed it is a comfort. Right now there are some family and financial issues (a feud) that, at any other time I would have given in to anger and rage. Now, while I do get angry, it passes quickly knowing that I'm not alone. So there is that Safe Harbor to take refuge in from the storm.

zenvicky
11 July 2011, 10:20 AM
Namaste Minotaur,

Indeed you have selected awesome photo of Sri Radha-Krishna. I belong to the region "Brij" in India where Shri Krishna was born and he is very much in our every aspect of life. He has enriched our folk-songs, stories, festivals, greetings, traditions and culture.

I always wonder how do other family members adjust/react, when one decides to change his or her religion.

Om

Jainarayan
11 July 2011, 10:39 AM
Namaste zenvicky.

Namaste Minotaur,

Indeed you have selected awesome photo of Sri Radha-Krishna. I belong to the region "Brij" in India where Shri Krishna was born and he is very much in our every aspect of life. He has enriched our folk-songs, stories, festivals, greetings, traditions and culture.

I always wonder how do other family members adjust/react, when one decides to change his or her religion.

Om

It is indeed such a beautiful image. I have a wallet size copy attached to a space on my truck's dashboard. I have a few more copies around and about. I have a cart building up at Indian Gifts Portal; I am going to add a small murthi of Them to put on my altar.

I've also ordered a copy of Canto X of the Srimad Bhagavatam. I am eager to read about the Lord's life and His exploits. So far I understand He was quite the prankster, light-hearted and loved life, and that the gopis were completely enamored of Him. I think that's what makes Him so accessible and close to us, yet at the same time He is God.

I do not plan to tell my family (sisters, nieces, nephews, brothers, etc.) of my embracing of Sanatana Dharma. They will not understand and make me an object of mockery and ridicule as they've done all my life. None of them visit my house; that is the only way they would know, by seeing my altar and my images of deities all over the place.

A few people at work know or suspect. My boss is one who knows, as well as an Indian co-worker. He looked at me quizzically when I asked him something. His face virtually lit up when I nodded yes. :)