PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible......

ScarletRose
11 July 2011, 12:34 AM
.....for your soul to know you're a Hindu before you know?

For one, I'm still finding my footing on the path of Sanatana Dharma, getting a feeling of whether it's right for me or not. However, I recall a number of times that I've thought or created something in my own mind that I later found out is closely related to Sanatana Dharma, if not by the same name, but by the same meaning and purpose.

One, that some of you may know, is how I drew a picture of a half crocodile/half dog creature that I named Shiva before knowing anything about Shiva, before knowing Shiva was even a name, before knowing he is a Hindu God, and i doubt I'd heard the name somewhere else before.

Another is how I designed my belief in reincarnation long before Sanatan Dharma. Once I constructed the thought of reincarnation of where we are born life after life to learn what we need to learn, overcome the obstacles in that particular life (not unlike how reincarnation works in Sanatana Dharma), and that after all of this is achieved we are allowed to enter heaven (refered to by a few different names but all equaling the same place). I also believed we could return as any creature on the planet to continue learning. This is how Sanatana Dharma sees it right, at least pretty close to it? Just worded a bit differently.

One more thing would be how I vowed to not harm any living creature after a realization moment thanks to a small spider (yes a spider helped me come to this realization). I had smashed the poor creature on my desk in highschool and after doing this i looked closely at him and realized he too is a living creature, he too deserves to live, he too may have a purpose, he didn't deserve to be killed. From that day on I had vowed to not harm any living creature.

And maybe a little more impressive was my creation of a character for a story I had worked on a few years ago (but had severe writer's block so I couldn't write it). This particular character was a God of creation and destruction, destroying what he created only to recreate it (that would be his full description of what he does). This God sounds familiar doesn't he? Lord Shiva the destroyer, destroying in order to create yet again.

All of these thoughts and creations came to me long before I found Sanatana Dharma, so I'm wondering is it possible for your soul to know you're Hindu before you know? It makes me wonder if I was a Hindu in a past life, and i just happened to reincarnate here in this life. What do you all think?

Eastern Mind
11 July 2011, 07:49 AM
Vannakkam Scarlet Rose. What you are describing is what happened to me, and I'm sure to others here. Slight variations to the story, but yes. "This is what I believe. Oh, that's what it's called!" :)

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
11 July 2011, 11:32 AM
.....for your soul to know you're a Hindu before you know?

For me now, an unqualified and resounding "YES!" I always felt it, but didn't make the commitment. It was a repression and suppression that finally came to bear fruit. My soul was prodding my mind, but my mind resisted. My soul persisted, and it won. :)

One more thing would be how I vowed to not harm any living creature after a realization moment thanks to a small spider (yes a spider helped me come to this realization).

I'm feeling the same way. I'm on the fence about what we call vermin: cockroaches, centipedes, ants in the house, fleas and the like. I'm not experiencing a problem with any of these, but I wonder what I'd do, considering they are dirty and disease-carrying and in the case of termites, destructive.

My attic was invaded by a female raccoon that gave birth. She made a den in my attic and caused a lot of damage. Eventually I was able to trap her and the two babies (they were sooo cute, little fat balls of fluff!) in a Hav-a-hart trap and relocate them. I trapped a total of 4 or 5 raccoons over a year or two and relocated them. People told me to set poison out. I said "I WILL NOT!" :mad:

I was driving home yesterday, and a flock of Canada geese were crossing the road. The last in the line was a juvenile that had a limp. I don't know if he got hurt or was born that way. Even though he made it across the road, and seemed to hold his own, I felt so sorry for him. I asked the Lord to please help him.

Why'd you get me started? Now I have tears in my eyes. :(

eriko
11 July 2011, 12:31 PM
Namste,

Nothing of this sort ever happened to me. But maybe it is because I am born in a Hindu family, so I already knew everything (most of what is there in Sanatana Dharma).

But I am a strong believer in impressions from past life. But let me clarify that such things don't happen to me. But my own personal conviction is responsible for this belief.

And this what I would say to you. Take this as an opinion. Follow your conviction, the facts. See if you really think this how this works (Hindu Philosophy). And then only make it your own.

Its not about your previous birth (even after considering that we both believe in reincarnation; you because of your experience and I because of my conviction) or what ever the connection that you feel you have or had with Sanatana Dharma. Its about you now, the present you and what you want to believe in or rather welcome into your life.

You should take this as medium (because of God or because of your past Karma) and study more about Sanatana Dharma.

Dekho, kya hota hai. Kuch jiso se aap attach hote ho, aur kuch jiso ko aap apnate ho. Jab ek bar koi naya khulasa hota hai jiske bare main apko pata nahi hota to ap use detach ho jate ho. Par jo app apnate ho, wo sadev appke saath rahti. Hum yahan chahti hai ki koi bhi vayakti apni icha se hindu dharma ko apnai bina kisi adambar kei.

I will translate.

Look, what happens is there are some things with which you become attached, and there are somethings which you make your own. Once the dream is over, you become detached the very instance. But the thing which you have made your own stays with you. We, here (I suppose most of the practicing Hindus), want people (who are willing themselves) to make Hindu Dharma there own without any illusion of any kind.

Do not be confused. If this is what you want, go for it. And if not, there is no problem at all.

With Warm Regards (no offense meant)

smaranam
11 July 2011, 03:01 PM
All of these thoughts and creations came to me long before I found Sanatana Dharma, so I'm wondering is it possible for your soul to know you're Hindu before you know? It makes me wonder if I was a Hindu in a past life, and i just happened to reincarnate here in this life. What do you all think?

Namaste ScarletRose

I see this as happening due to two reasons

1. past saMskArs - impressions gathered from previous lives
2. Supersoul i.e. ParamAtmA guiding the jeevAtmA (soul), from within the heart.

The past saMskArs are like fossil imprints, memories carried over like i believe genetically and spiritually.

The Supersoul Who accompanies the soul gives guidance beyond our ordinary material analytical reasoning and choice.

Sometimes we say "i am not sure what made me take such a decision at the last minute but it turned out to be the right thing" - that was ParamAtmA making the choice for you or giving you the instinct, intuition, wisdom, knowledge, buddhi to act.

Instinct is Supersoul
Intuition is also Supersoul

They are two very different things.

KrushNa shows, says, does things in the inner world that play out sometimes only a few hours later. Sometimes He does that as a baby. What can an infant understand ? But is He some ordinary infant ? Certainly not. Sometimes the places, things or concepts shown are totally unknown to us, and we read it only later in books. Only you know that the knowledge did not come from books or outside (external) influence.

For some people, when they say "i had this instinct" or in other cases "i had this premonition" or "you just expressed what i had been thinking" they may not know that it is the ParamAtmA giving that missing piece.

Telepathy between people is also a connection made by paramAtmA (Supersoul) between two jeevAtmAs.

However the advice given to you is good - do only what feels right to you regarding embracing SanAtan Dharma. In other words,

follow your heart
let ParamAtmA rule
easier said than done
it is just a thought

How ? By asking the material mind to get out of the way :)
...easier said than done
it is just a thought

...but a possibility - by developing our relationship with God - Bhagvan, ParamAtmA - praying to Him for mercy, grace, blessings.

Jai Shri KrushNa

NayaSurya
12 July 2011, 07:38 AM
We rescue Canadian goose last year with a severely injured leg. It is illegal to house one here as they are protected so we call the wildlife refuge and they saved his life. Very happy!

If you can, look in phone book and try to find one to come help this lil goose?

Each of us here, born outside the shelter of SD(Beloved India) must come to grips with our double edged sword. On one hand, we born in a place with so much freedom that a female such as myself is able to have 8 children and live very well with every comfort. But, the price is living in the pressure cooker of this predominantly christianit society...very isolated.

It's a curse of ignorance one so devastating to me. Ignorance is a living death to me.

But, somehow...be it our own ability to burn Karma sufficiently that we are allowed to begin to Know this Truth so readily found in India...but so scarce in our place of birth.

We recognize it immediately...

The first time I saw Beloved Venkateswara was in a simple metal thimble. I put it on my finger and immediately dropped to the ground afraid. Saw His image again many years later online...the Truth rang out so loudly within me...I thought I was dying.

The first time in the temple, as I fell to His Feet...I knew...all these years that image was Him.

It didn't make sense at the time why that thimble in that position was so familiar...and made me so afraid...but it was because I was uncovering something so deeply ingrained into this portion...so profound...

I call these things my bread crumbs...because they led me back home...just as Hansel and Gretel were led home.

Jainarayan
12 July 2011, 09:09 AM
We rescue Canadian goose last year with a severely injured leg. It is illegal to house one here as they are protected so we call the wildlife refuge and they saved his life. Very happy!

If you can, look in phone book and try to find one to come help this lil goose?

I don't think we can keep them either, as they are considered undomesticated. If he were severely injured, I would have called the rescue on the spot. I wouldn't move him for fear of injuring him further. I did not see the little guy this morning. In fact I didn't see the flock at all.

I considered calling the local Humane Society Animal Rescue for them to go take a look. I think he will be able to fly, as his wings were folded properly, not dragging or seemed to be broken. For all I know he stepped on a pebble and it got stuck in his toe webbing, or he got a cramp in his leg and foot. I know it happens to my dogs and cat (and me). I'll keep a look out as best I can.

Onkara
13 July 2011, 08:08 AM
Each of us here, born outside the shelter of SD(Beloved India) must come to grips with our double edged sword. On one hand, we born in a place with so much freedom that a female such as myself is able to have 8 children and live very well with every comfort. But, the price is living in the pressure cooker of this predominantly christianit society...very isolated.

It's a curse of ignorance one so devastating to me. Ignorance is a living death to me.

But, somehow...be it our own ability to burn Karma sufficiently that we are allowed to begin to Know this Truth so readily found in India...but so scarce in our place of birth.

We recognize it immediately...

Just to add that is a very true observation and one which I can share. Your words capture this perfectly. Many times I have thought that my life would be easier if I liked football and could follow the popular religion in the country of my residence, but no. :o

What can we do other than embrace the way we appear to have been guided. Like the first explorers, they too may have asked themselves "why me, why now?"
:)

Eastern Mind
13 July 2011, 08:27 AM

Vannakkam: Intelligent animals. Only now are humans learning to copy those migration patterns to avoid our hellish winters. Too bad we (some of us) haven't figured out how to mate for life.

Aum Namasivaya