PDA

View Full Version : Variations on a mantra (that's why I put it here)

Jainarayan
12 July 2011, 09:42 AM
Namaste all.

If it's in the wrong section and must be moved, I understand.

I don't know Sanskrit, except that it is a highly inflected language, with a somewhat free word order because of that inflection. And the bits I've picked up here and there (mostly here).

I think I've figured out, for example, that the "-ya" or "-yai" at the ending of a diety's name might mean "to", i.e. "OM namah Shivaya" = "I bow to Shiva"; "OM Durgayai namaha" = "I bow to Durga" (/i/ being the feminine ending).

I know "namaste" is an inflected form of "nam-" bow, and "te" to you ("te" is also literally "to you" in Italian and Spanish, incidentally).

But what are, and why the differences between:

OM Sri Maha Ganeshaya namaha (I know maha = great).

OM Gam Ganapataye namaha. I know Ganapati is another name for Ganesha, but specifically, what does "Gam" mean? Besides Ganapataye seems to blow my theory about using the dative case (the "to").

OM Sri Ganeshaya namaha.

OM Kalikayai namaha and OM Sri Maha Kalikayai namaha? Is it true that OM Sri Maha Kalikayai namaha is an extremely powerful mantra, not very often used?

Sorry for overthinking this; some day I will learn more Sanskrit.

sunyata07
12 July 2011, 10:30 AM
Namaste Minotaur,

I'm no scholar yet, but I'll try to answer your question (until another learned member can step in and help). :)

I agree with all the points you have made so far on your observations of the Sanskrit language. I think variations on a mantra are usually done by gurus who have carefully tailored a mantra to suit a particular student or person's level of spiritual progress.

"Gam" (sometimes transcribed as "Gum") is Ganesha' beej syllable. It's a sacred "seed"-syllable that is imbued with the particular vibrations of the deity in question. When spoken accurately and with the right pronunciation, the beej syllable "activates" the mantra and increases its potency for the user.

Ganapataye (which I've also seen spelled as Ganapatayai) seems to be vocative form of the name Ganapati when the name ends in the letter "i". You can see this grammar change with Saraswati's mantra: Om Aim Saraswatye/Saraswatyai namah.

OM Kalikayai namaha and OM Sri Maha Kalikayai namaha? Is it true that OM Sri Maha Kalikayai namaha is an extremely powerful mantra, not very often used?

I'd love to know the difference myself, although I would generally be quite carefully with Kali Maa's mantras, mostly because I realise She is a particularly aggressive form of Goddess. I would imagine the reason why people have cautioned against carelessly using the Om Sri Maha Kalikayai mantra is because there are potentially disastrous effects that have to do with the uncoiling of Kundalini shakti.

Om namah Shivaya

Jainarayan
12 July 2011, 10:52 AM
Namaste sunyataji, and thank you.

I think variations on a mantra are usually done by gurus who have carefully tailored a mantra to suit a particular student or person's level of spiritual progress.

Aha! Yes, I'll bet that's it.

"Gam" (sometimes transcribed as "Gum") is Ganesha' beej syllable. It's a sacred "seed"-syllable that is imbued with the particular vibrations of the deity in question. When spoken accurately and with the right pronunciation, the beej syllable "activates" the mantra and increases its potency for the user.

As "Aim" is the beej for Saraswati Maa. I was also told do not use svaha unless making a fire offering.

Ganapataye (which I've also seen spelled as Ganapatayai) seems to be vocative form of the name Ganapati when the name ends in the letter "i". You can see this grammar change with Saraswati's mantra: Om Aim Saraswatye/Saraswatyai namah.

OK yes, vocative not dative. D'oh! :doh: "I bow to you O Shiva" (vocative).

I'd love to know the difference myself, although I would generally be quite carefully with Kali Maa's mantras, mostly because I realise She is a particularly aggressive form of Goddess. I would imagine the reason why people have cautioned against carelessly using the Om Sri Maha Kalikayai mantra is because there are potentially disastrous effects that have to do with the uncoiling of Kundalini shakti.

Om namah Shivaya

As much as there is peace in the house, as I posted another time, there is the potential for negativity and evil to enter the house. I want to keep it at bay. I feel like Custer at the Little Big Horn. :rolleyes: I was thinking of putting an image of Maa Durga and Maa Kali in the window of the house door.

I'll bet you are right about the power of Kali Maa's mantra. Now I wouldn't use it without strict guidance from someone knowledgeable. I was just curious. I will stay with the basic OM Kalikayai namah mantra, unless someone thinks otherwise.

Sahasranama
12 July 2011, 11:01 AM
Namah, just like svaha always goes together with the dative case. Here the difference between the endings of Ganeshaya and Ganapataye is because the words Ganapati and Ganesha have different endings and there are different inclinations for words with different endings and gender. It's good that you have figured out that durgayai is the feminine inclination of durga in the dative case. I have heard pundits chant durgaya svaha which is wrong of course.

zenvicky
12 July 2011, 11:02 AM
Namaste Minotaur,

I know "namaste" is an inflected form of "nam-" bow, and "te" to you ("te" is also literally "to you" in Italian and Spanish, incidentally).

Namaste is compound word formed from "Naman+Aste" literally means "I bow" or when we do say namaste someone means "I bow to the divine in you"

Om

Jainarayan
12 July 2011, 11:14 AM
Thank you both. :)

Namah, just like svaha always goes together with the dative case. Here the difference between the endings of Ganeshaya and Ganapataye is because the words Ganapati and Ganesha have different endings and there are different inclinations for words with different endings and gender. It's good that you have figured out that durgayai is the feminine inclination of durga in the dative case. I have heard pundits chant durgaya svaha which is wrong of course.

I didn't consider the different endings of the nominative having different inflections or declinations. I have a "thing" for languages. ;)

Note to self: study case endings. :D

Namaste Minotaur,

Namaste is compound word formed from "Naman+Aste" literally means "I bow" or when we do say namaste someone means "I bow to the divine in you"

Om

Ah yes, can't forget that we are recognizing the Divine in the person.

Eastern Mind
12 July 2011, 11:29 AM
Vannakkam Minotaur et al: There is a whole different interpretation of na ma si va ya... Here is one link. http://www.newagegod.com/LAFFmedia/1minmed.htm perhaps not the best, but it separated it into 5 syllables independently. Wikipedia explains this too.

I know we discussed it on here somewhere before but I couldn't find it.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
12 July 2011, 11:54 AM
I saw that one too, about the 5 syllables. Here it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om_Namah_Shivaya Pretty interesting how it works out.

I can't find the do's and don'ts either. I guess the search doesn't like it.