PDA

View Full Version : I cannot believe the audacity of humans towards the Gods

Jainarayan
12 July 2011, 12:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurukshetra_war#Krishna.27s_peace_mission

At the formal presentation of the peace proposal by Krishna (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/wiki/Krishna) at the court of Hastinapur, Krishna's peace proposals were ignored, and Duryodhana publicly ordered his soldiers to arrest Krishna. Krishna laughed and displayed his divine form, radiating intense light. Furious at the insult inflicted upon Him, Lord Krishna cursed Duryodhana that his downfall was certain to the shock of Dhirtharastra who tried to pacify the Lord.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabharata#The_end_of_the_Pandavas

After "seeing" the carnage, Gandhari (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/wiki/Gandhari_(character)) who had lost all her sons, curses Krishna to be a witness to a similar annihilation of his family

I've read other stories of sages and other humans cursing the Gods. Wow, just wow! :eek:

Arjuni
12 July 2011, 03:58 PM
Namasté, Minotaur,

All of these actions, while shocking, are of course a part of God's leela - tying into the whole "blade of grass not moving without His will" idea - and serve to advance the course of extraordinary events. Perhaps most importantly, they carry important lessons for us about how not to behave.

But a thought for you: do consider the possibility that we are all "audacious," and that very few of us have learned the lessons taught by these tales.

Most people, when deeply hurt by someone, think positively terrible, vengeful thoughts about that person, along the lines of You should know how this feels! or I wish that I could punish you for what you've done! Even when not directly injured by someone, we sometimes vent our own irritation and weariness - at least mentally - on others. A driver isn't paying attention and doesn't stop for us to cross? You'll get in a wreck driving like that, and then you'll be sorry! Someone in a shop is rude? I bet your business will close down, the way you treat your customers!

I used to become very angry and upset when disrespect was shown to any form of God. I remember once a serial episode angered me so much that I nearly didn't finish the series (a classic of useless spite: I just won't watch any more! That'll show 'em!), and goodness knows I've read enough disrespectful words regarding God, in older stories and modern writings both.

But then I realised that such anger wouldn't accomplish anything good, because it would only feed more thoughts of the type I illustrated above. Wherever you stand on the philosophical spectrum, whether you believe that all is God's creation or believe that all is God - either way, until we release the anger and division in our own thoughts, we aren't much better than Gandhari or any other legendary figure shouting curses at God. The only difference is that we think ourselves superior for keeping quiet about it!

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

AmIHindu
12 July 2011, 04:27 PM
Namaste,

How some people are really good and have positive thinking as well as positive attitude. Whateven happens they do not divert from their attitude. At the time of Mahabharat, neither Pandavas nor Kauravas knew that Vasudev Shree Krishna is reincarnation of GOD. But Pandavas were always with Truth so GOD - Vasudev Shree Krishna was also with them.

Some people have very good attitude and always with Truth whatever happens to them, they do not leave Dharma, how amazing it is !!! Pandavas did their Karma one pointedly without expecting anything, they just hold on to the Truth, Dharma.

Even though, GOD was with Pandavas, they had very hard time throughout their life time. When Bhisma Pitamah was on bed of arrows, he was crying. Arjuna, thought that Bhisma pitamah was crying due to pain but only Shree Krishna knew why Bhisma Pitamah was crying, never ending hardship in their ( Pandavas) life in spite of GOD - Vasudev Shree Krishna, Himself was with them.

I learned a lesson, if you are on the path of Truth, more and more hardship comes to you but at the same time GOD will always be with you helping you in all the ways. Never leave Dharma.

NayaSurya
12 July 2011, 06:09 PM
That word audacity..it was used last night in a conversation with my Beloved Husband several several times. I was saying that in this world...you have to become audacious to be able to leave it.

Think about the ones around us...you think most of them come home after working ten hours here in the usa and think about even a fraction of the things we speak of here?

It takes a lot of audacity to stop running this money race and walk away toward the Truth...all the while everyone around us whispering how "crazy" we are for turning down more money or better opportunity...and yet here We are.

Pure bold, bravery is some other words I call it...and it's not bad at all in the right circumstances.

Oh the Rich Divine Drama of Ghandhari...how she play out her part so well for Beloved...such high wonderful Drama full of lessons which all of us gleen such wonderful Truth.

The glass is half full or half empty and with my Beloved Husband and I it is no different. He is always such a staunch pessimist! He even goes as far as to create things to worry about during times when things are calm...he will go out years in advance to pluck them out of the unknown in our tomorrows.:p

For me, I am just happy to be here taking care of this duty and doing this hard job before me....I don't need extra thing to worry about!

Every day I smile...and I am grateful...so humbled by Beloved's Faith in me so much that He entrust so many to me...I am at His Beloved Feet in humble service in every action...such a gift is so precious.

But, despite this humble, cleaning one, who sings and stumbles along...I am audacious to sing to Beloved....my humble song not fit, I am sure.

But, so in Love I can not do anything less than give Him my heart.

Each of us have to find this boldness...this bravery...to jump over the side of this mundane world's known reality...to the Truth.

and every day all over the world We do it...thank Beloved We do!<3

Jainarayan
12 July 2011, 06:32 PM
Namaste all.

Namasté, Minotaur,

Perhaps most importantly, they carry important lessons for us about how not to behave.

But a thought for you: do consider the possibility that we are all "audacious," and that very few of us have learned the lessons taught by these tales.

Hmm... yes, good points. I hope I learned something.

Namaste,

At the time of Mahabharat, neither Pandavas nor Kauravas knew that Vasudev Shree Krishna is reincarnation of GOD. But Pandavas were always with Truth so GOD - Vasudev Shree Krishna was also with them.

That's true too. I forgot that. I think in the Bhagavad Gita, Sri Krishna tells Arjuna that mortals cannot bear to be constantly in the presence of God, so we forget He is there. I'm sure I read that in there. I'll come across it if that's where it is.

That word audacity..it was used last night in a conversation with my Beloved Husband several several times. I was saying that in this world...you have to become audacious to be able to leave it.

Pure bold, bravery is some other words I call it...and it's not bad at all in the right circumstances.

Each of us have to find this boldness...this bravery...to jump over the side of this mundane world's known reality...to the Truth.

and every day all over the world We do it...thank Beloved We do!<3

Yes, I think I should have used the words temerity or effrontery, denoting disrespect. Audacity has more of a connotation of bravery.

kallol
13 July 2011, 06:55 AM
Gandhari was no ordinary human. With the sheer power of yoga, she followed in her daily life, she got the power in certain aspects.

Like before war she asked Doryodhan to come naked so that by her vision power, she would be able to provide infalliable strength to his body. It is another story that duryodhan covered is private parts at the behest of Krishna and that area remained vulnerable. Which was later used by Bheema on suggestion from Krishna.

She also knew who Krishna was. However again the mortal body of Krishna has to go through the pleasures and pains of the world. As a mother she had all the right to get anguished and curse. How Krishna's mind reacted on the curse and the effect is the moot point. The reaction was that of taking it as coming from mother, whom he also respected a lot. They were all related also. That is where his knowledge helps.

Now whether Krishna knew about the micro details of each actions and word before hand - do not know. But definitely he knew about the macro details.

The beloved ones of God play with God, joke with God, curse God, rebuke God, etc. They are the ones who are the most liberated as they play with SELF.

From our level, those might seem attrocious but for the knowledgeable ones those are natural.

Love and best wishes

saidevo
13 July 2011, 07:57 AM
namaste everyone.

Kallol has mentioned some good points. As he has hinted, the mahAbhArata is akin to a novel where the author plays a role. This means that the author would know all the details about the characters at the macro and micro levels and yet has to play his own role as a human being.

It's a good point that an intimate devotee of a personal god can become emotional about him/her, so he/she even rebukes and curses the god for some misfortune in life, which was a result of the devotee's own karma.

On a lighter vein, here is a pointed curse given by a Tamizh film character on God, using the song penned by the famous poet KaNNaDAsan:

God, he should be born as a man!
He should love (a woman) and suffer in pain!
He should sink in the sorrow of separation,
and what a woman is, he should realize.

Jainarayan
13 July 2011, 09:07 AM
Namaste all.

The beloved ones of God play with God, joke with God, curse God, rebuke God, etc. They are the ones who are the most liberated as they play with SELF.

From our level, those might seem attrocious but for the knowledgeable ones those are natural.

Love and best wishes

namaste everyone.

It's a good point that an intimate devotee of a personal god can become emotional about him/her, so he/she even rebukes and curses the god for some misfortune in life, which was a result of the devotee's own karma.

Well this is all a new concept to me. It's something more from my past I need to shed. It points out how accessible and close to us the Gods are, and how tolerant and even playful They can be (e.g. Sri Krishna and the gopis, and his habit of "obtaining" butter). This is why I love the Gods more and more every day, as I learn more about Them and draw closer to Them. Thanks. :)