PDA

View Full Version : Quote of the day?

Jainarayan
13 July 2011, 10:00 AM
Anyone interested in a sticky post with quotes of the day? Or does one exist already? I haven't seen it. There are so many beautiful quotes from Scripture and the learned that could serve as daily inspirations. I got the idea from the Wikipedia Hinduism Portal.

OK, now I'll sit down and shut up. :o

Mana
13 July 2011, 11:29 AM
What a great idea!

Here's a quote that I love, referring to attachment!

"In the South of India, people used to catch monkeys in a very special way. Actually they let monkeys catch themselves. What they did is cutting a small hole in a coconut, just large enough for a monkey to put its hand in. Next, you fix the coconut to a tree, and fill it with a sweet. The monkey smells the sweet, squeezes its hand into the coconut, grabs the sweet and .... finds that the fist does not fit through the hole. Now the trick is, that the last thing the monkey will think of is to let go of the sweet; and it holds itself prisoner. Nothing could be easier for a human being who comes and catches it."

Unknown.

Jainarayan
13 July 2011, 11:53 AM
Maybe we can pester satay to do it. :D

That's a great analogy about the monkeys and attachment. Note to self: remember it.

sunyata07
13 July 2011, 02:37 PM
Namaste Minotaur,

What a nice idea! Maybe if we have room (or anyone who knows the first thing about HTML), we could have the quotes in a scrolling sidebar, or something like that?

Om namah Shivaya

Jainarayan
13 July 2011, 03:36 PM
Namaste Minotaur,

What a nice idea!

Yeah, I scare myself sometimes with one of those. :Roll:

Maybe if we have room (or anyone who knows the first thing about HTML), we could have the quotes in a scrolling sidebar, or something like that?

Om namah Shivaya

That's even better. :)