PDA

View Full Version : Salaam Alaikum!

Zarathrustra2012
25 December 2006, 07:34 AM
Not really a Muslim (anymore), but still like the greeting! Been around the world, religiously, and I'm back to my early beloved Vedanta, Looking forward to talking with everyone!

Andrew

satay
26 December 2006, 04:51 PM
Not really a Muslim (anymore), but still like the greeting! Been around the world, religiously, and I'm back to my early beloved Vedanta, Looking forward to talking with everyone!

Andrew

namaste Zarathrustra!

Welcome to the Hindu Dharma Forums.

You have an interesting handle. Your post implies that you were a muslim. Were you a muslim or were you a follower of zoroaster?

Would you like to share with the rest of the members your knowledge of zoroaster?

I have a very limited understanding of zoroastrianism and know that the main scriptural writings are called Avesta, of which the most important parts are the hymns or what is known as gathas attributed to Zoroaster. Apparently, the language used by him was very close to sanskrit.

It would be most interesting to find out his connection with the Vedas and Sanskrit.

Agnideva
26 December 2006, 11:03 PM
Namaste Zarathrustra,

I'm curious to know if you've picked the number 2012 on purpose. Anything to do with the Mayans and their prophesy?

OM Shanti,
A.

sm78
27 December 2006, 12:20 AM
Namaste Zarathrustra,

I'm curious to know if you've picked the number 2012 on purpose. Anything to do with the Mayans and their prophesy?

OM Shanti,
A.

... and what is that ?

Agnideva
27 December 2006, 07:38 AM
... and what is that ?
:D The Mayans were incredible astronomers of ancient times and designed a very complex calendar that was calculated centuries ahead of time. The Mayans, like Hindus, also believed that time periods are cyclical in nature, and had the concept of great ages, just like we have yugas. The present “yuga” for the Mayans began in 3114 BCE (just like the Kaliyuga began in 3102 BCE). Interestingly, the Mayan calendar stops very abruptly on winter solstice - Dec 21, 2012. The Mayans prophesy says great changes will occur at that time. Some believe this signifies the end of the present age of darkness, and entry into a new world age, a mass change in human consciousness. Others who believe in biblical prophecies, think that 2012 will bring forth the armageddon.

Zarathrustra2012
27 December 2006, 01:21 PM
Some explanations. My normal email name starts with b-(for Brihadaranyaka)-upanishad. I have been many things, but mostly a searcher. The "Zarathrustra," I'm afraid, comes not from Zoroaster, but from Nietzsche, whom I like very much. But, I am not unfamiliar with Parseeism, as Zoroastrianism is known as these days, or with Mithraism, which was one of it's early forms. I was a full-fledged Muslim, with the name al-Hallaj Kabir Ali, for 3 years before "9-11," and learned and said all my Arabic prayers, although I was raised a Baptist, and I am now a Latin Catholic, Theosophist, Vedantist, and Buddhist---a true eclectic syncretist. Islamic Sufism still holds some attraction for me, but I reject any other association with Islam, especially of the Shi'ite or Sunni (Wahabi) forms. BUT, I do NOT hate Muslims, and the ones I've known were extremely fine people. The 2012 does indeed come from the Maya date count, which my sources says ends on Dec 23 (not the 21st as others say) in 2012 when my father, if he lives, will be 100. I don't know what to expect, if anything, but it's meaningful because of my father's 100th birthday. I do believe that some occult happening will happen on 23 Dec 2012, however, but I don't know what that might be (perhaps a shift in earth's orbit). I fell in love with Ramakrishna when I was but a teenager, and still love Him as the avatar He is. I also love Helena Blavatsky, of Theosophical fame, and I am not unaware of the differences between Theosophy and Vedantism. The Upanishads generally are my favorite scripture, but I love all the world's scriptures more-or-less, and I am fairly well-versed in all of them, both ancient and modern. I've most recenty been a Mormon, but reject that way as untrue now. I read profusely, and although I have two college degrees, including a Master's Degree in English, I am mostly self-taught (an autodidact). That's all I can think of for now, but I look forward to talking with all of you. I'm on several forums, so make the rounds periodically. I'm retired from the military (and AGAINST the Iraq War!), so have lots of time on my hands (except for reading and smoking cigars). I don't watch TV (except I am addicted to old "Buffy, the Vampire-Slayer" re-runs which I get on the computer).

Znanna
27 December 2006, 05:47 PM
Hi!

Wow, you make me seem orthodox by comparison, thanks!

:)

ZN
/has yet to introduce self formally; I'd rather y'all get to know me first, hehe

saidevo
27 December 2006, 07:54 PM
Namaste Zarathrustra2012,

Quite a bit of introduction. Quite a bit of a person you are. Theosophy is my favourite too, which I find totally based on Vedanta, tracing the strains of Vedantic concepts in the pre-Christian religions. I haven't read much of HPB, but Besant and Leadbeater considerably. I look forward to your contributions in the HDF.

Zarathrustra2012
28 December 2006, 11:36 AM
http://www.healthypages.net/forum/tm.asp?m=407023&mpage=1&key=&#407023

Might find this interesting! Greetings!