PDA

View Full Version : The breath during mantra.

WTyler
16 July 2011, 10:17 PM
Hello.

I have trouble regulating breath during Japa Mantra. Some of the main ones I use are the maha mantra, as well as the Ganesh mantra.

Should it be something like:

*Inhale* On exhale--Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
*In hale* On exhale--Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.

Similarly on the Ganesh-ji mantra, I just say the whole mantra on the exhale.

Is this a correct method?

Any basic Pranayam you'd like to instruct me toward?

Hare Om.

-Tyler

Jainarayan
17 July 2011, 09:08 AM
I'm interested to hear about this too. I know I don't breath correctly, even under ordinary circumstances. I told my doctor I cannot draw a deep breath. He told me it's stress (which I do have). So I know that learning to breathe properly during japa or meditation will clear this up, not to mention the most important thing: spiritual benefits.

smaranam
17 July 2011, 09:39 AM
Namaste

Yes that is how it is recommended - chant on exhale, but you may also want to chant the entire mantra on one exhale after a deep inhale. How comfortable it is in the long run - i cannot say as i rarely chant aloud unless i am singing.

praNAm
Hare KRSNa

Jainarayan
17 July 2011, 10:05 AM
Namaste smaranam and WTyler,

I am sorry to hijack the thread.

Namaste

Yes that is how it is recommended - chant on exhale, but you may also want to chant the entire mantra on one exhale after a deep inhale. How comfortable it is in the long run - i cannot say as i rarely chant aloud unless i am singing.

praNAm
Hare KRSNa

Yes, if you think about it, before singing a phrase or passage of a song, you draw a breath and use that breath to complete the lyrical phrase. This makes sense for chanting mantras and japa also. My doctor did also tell me to "force" myself to breathe from my stomach. It pulls the diaphragm down and inflates the lungs. As with any physical exercise, it takes work.

You made me answer my own question! :)

WTyler
17 July 2011, 12:53 PM
Ah yes! Belly breathing is phenomenal.

I used to teach hatha yoga, and we'd do belly breathing for at least 5-10 minutes.

Very beneficial, and once you force yourself to do it often, it becomes automatic.

AmIHindu
17 July 2011, 06:27 PM
Namaste,

Here is the website which has a diagram for breathing. See if that helps you.

http://www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org/articles/id/aboutspiritualresearch/spiritualpractice/chanting/breath#a_2

Make a rythm of chanting - japa. Add to that Bhav ( emotion ) , Bhakti ( Devotion ).

Lastly, it takes too long time to assimilate japa with breath, lots of practice required. So take it easy, do not quit and be consistence, make it a habit.

c.smith
18 July 2011, 01:15 AM
Hari Om!

From my own experience, the pauses in the mantra for breath will come naturally, perhaps the less focus the better worked for me. I just fell into a rhythm. Although there may be a "correct" way or a science to it, perhaps simply doing it and seeing where you end up will bring the biggest benefit. This is only my opinion however, and again its what has worked for me.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Ekoham
18 July 2011, 11:43 AM
Hari Om!

From my own experience, the pauses in the mantra for breath will come naturally, perhaps the less focus the better worked for me. I just fell into a rhythm. Although there may be a "correct" way or a science to it, perhaps simply doing it and seeing where you end up will bring the biggest benefit. This is only my opinion however, and again its what has worked for me.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Namaste Smith,

Me too, with my experience in the field agree with your views
"the pauses in the mantra for breath will come naturally, perhaps the less focus the better worked for me. I just fell into a rhythm."

There are two ways of doing it...
1- We take a mantra and practice meditation on it so that our breadth gets attuned to it and a natural rhythm is attained.

2- Probably easiest and best because it has been tested successfully by many....
Take the mantra from your guru, have complete faith in it, simply sit and meditate on that mantra, forget the rhythm, all will fall in place naturally, automatically. Remember the most important factor in this is faith. This is easier for a devotee practicing Bhakti, as he is lost completely in love of the lord while meditating on his name with utmost faith, one can expect cent percent guarantee of results.

Pranam

Ekoham

brahman
19 July 2011, 01:18 AM
Hello.

I have trouble regulating breath during Japa Mantra. Some of the main ones I use are the maha mantra, as well as the Ganesh mantra.

Should it be something like:

*Inhale* On exhale--Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
*In hale* On exhale--Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.

Similarly on the Ganesh-ji mantra, I just say the whole mantra on the exhale.

Is this a correct method?

Any basic Pranayam you'd like to instruct me toward?

Hare Om.

-Tyler

Dear Tyler,

1. 'Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare' is called Kali-Santāraṇa mantra.

Please find this quote from the sacred text Kali-Santāraṇa Upaniṣad (कलिसन्तरन)

Narada asked: ‘O Lord, what are the rules to be observed with reference to it ?
” To which Brahma replied that there were no rules for it. Whoever in a pure or an impure state, utters these always, attains the same world of, or proximity with, or the same form of, or absorption into Brahma. Read full text now (http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Kali-Santarana+Upanishad&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=)

2. Anuloma-Viloma Pranyama(without breath retention) is a great breath technique to start with. Love. :)