PDA

View Full Version : Information on the following Mantra:

WTyler
17 July 2011, 01:30 PM
Hello, I would like to know information on the following mantra and if any one has had any experiences reciting it:

Aum kapilaya namah

Thank you so much!

WTyler
20 July 2011, 01:49 AM
No bites, eh?

Mana
20 July 2011, 04:31 AM
Namasté WTyler

I have no idea but my heart would led me here as a place to start. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapila)

Of all trees I am the banyan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banyan) tree, and of the sages among the demigods I am Narada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narada). Of the Gandharvas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandharva) I am Citraratha, and among perfected beings I am the sage Kapila.(10.26)

Afterwards the pronunciation may come all by its self.

I know this may not be the response that you seek but I truly hope that it is of some use to you none the less.

Aum shri ganeshaya namah.

Mana

saidevo
20 July 2011, 06:00 AM
namaste WTyler.

The term kapila in SaMskRtam indicates a color: the reddish brown. So kapilAya means 'of reddish brown color'. Is this line, kapilAya namaH part of the gaNesha shodasha nAmAvalI--sixteen names of GaNesha? If so, please check this link for the meaning of the lines:
http://www.celextel.org/stotras/ganesha/ganapatishodasastotram.html

AmIHindu
20 July 2011, 08:44 AM
Namaste,

Two meaning of that mantra, one is explained by Saidevo and other meaning is Wish Cow.

Aum kapilaya namah

Kapila (red) means that you are able to give color therapy. You are able to create colorsaround yourself and around others, bathe them in that color and heal them. As per the mantrayou create, so will you create the colors. Another meaning is "wish cow," the "cow of plenty." It means that whatever you wish, that comes true. There is a wish-cow inside you.Whatever you wish, especially for healing others, comes true immediately.

Check sources here.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/60428371/33765463-Gayatri-Refers-to-a-Special-Three

WTyler
20 July 2011, 09:36 PM
Hare Om,

Thank you for your replies.

I am assuming that none of you have had any experiences with this mantra. I find the color therapy interesting..

Jainarayan
21 July 2011, 10:09 AM
Namaste saideveo, WTyler, et al.

namaste WTyler.

The term kapila in SaMskRtam indicates a color: the reddish brown. So kapilAya means 'of reddish brown color'. Is this line, kapilAya namaH part of the gaNesha shodasha nAmAvalI--sixteen names of GaNesha? If so, please check this link for the meaning of the lines:
http://www.celextel.org/stotras/ganesha/ganapatishodasastotram.html

I found this listed under the mantras for Sri Ganesha I posted in ILoveGod's post on how to become Hindu:

Aum Kapilaya Namah
Kapila (red) means that you are able to give colour therapy. You are able to create colours around yourself and around others, soak them in that colour and heal them. As per the mantra you create, so will you create the colors. Another meaning is "wish cow," the "cow of plenty." It means that whatever you wish, that comes true. There is a wish-cow inside you. Whatever you wish, especially for curing others, comes true instantly.
So at the risk of repetition of above posts or my comment being a no-brainer, it's a mantra to Lord Ganesha.

yajvan
21 July 2011, 11:33 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

I found this listed under the mantras for Sri Ganesha I posted in ILoveGod's post on how to become Hindu: Aum Kapilaya Namah
Kapila (red) means that you are able to give colour therapy.
While this may be so, there are other meanings for this word kapila.

kapila कपिल is rooted (√) in kam , meaning bliss, happiness.
Hence śrī gaṇeśa can be addressed as He made of or giving bliss and happiness.

This notion of ~red~ comes from the definition of kapila as 'monkey-colored' , brown , tawny , reddish .
Yet too more interesting (to me) is kapila is a 'kind of mouse'. We know that śrī gaṇeśa's mount is a mouse.
More on this if there is interest.

Regarding color we know śrī gaṇeśa is also addressed as kṛṣṇapiṅgākṣaṁ. kṛṣṇa +piṅgā + kṣaṁ

kṛṣṇa = black/dark-blue +
piṅgā is a name for a divine being; it also means yellow , reddish-brown , tawny.
piṅgā is another name for turmeric , hence you can then sense the color that is being suggested.
But what of this color? Is this the body color of gaṇeśa or perhaps his robe? The answer is in ākṣa (piṅgākṣaṁ) which has 4 definitions; the 4th one is 'the eye'; akṣa is for in akṣi.
Akṣi also means the number 2 ( as in two eyes) and it is a name for the sun and the moon. The Sun and moon are considered the right and left eye. Hence gaṇeśa as kṛṣṇapiṅgākṣa is the Divine Being (piṅgā) with the dark (kṛṣṇa) + reddish-brown-turmeric in color + eyes (akṣa).

Is there another ? Yes, dhūmaravarṇaṁ - the smoke-colored One. Dhūmara is smoke-coloured , smoky , dark-coloured , grey + varṇa is color, cover, tint, dye, etc. We also know varṇa as race, tribe.
A a more subtle definition is 'one who wards off'. Hence this view of gaṇeśa can also be one who 'wards off' the darkess (dhūmara).

One last idea that cannot be passed up. Kapila is the ṛṣi (seer, sage) identified by some with viṣṇu , and considered as the founder of the sāṃkhya system of philosophy. So another way of looking at śrī gaṇeśa is He of Wisdom, as kapila.

praṇām

sunyata07
21 July 2011, 01:01 PM
Namaste Yajvan,

This notion of ~red~ comes from the definition of kapila as 'monkey-colored' , brown , tawny , reddish .
Yet too more interesting (to me) is kapila is a 'kind of mouse'. We know that śrī gaṇeśa's mount is a mouse.
More on this if there is interest.

What kind of mouse is kapila? Does it have any relation to the tawny colour you were describing?

In fact, I was wondering why there are so many references to colour with Sri Ganesha. He is also often described and visualed as being red in colour, or wearing saffron coloured robes. Does this have any special significance? Some might argue that red is the colour of energy, passion and maybe controlled by rajas guna.

Om namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
21 July 2011, 01:15 PM
Vannakkam: This morning I happened top attend temple to worship, not work, and for some odd reason I really listened to the Iyer as he was chanting names of Ganesha. Usually I don't REALLY listen. But I did hear this one: kapilaya. And now its being discussed here, yet its not one of the 108 I once had memorised.

Velly intelesting. (Only elder Americans familiar with a certain famous comedy show will catch that reference, I bet.)

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
21 July 2011, 01:43 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

What kind of mouse is kapila?
It is my understanding that it is more of the color then the 'kind'...

Let me also offer this. Gaṇeśa-ji is also known as mūṣikavāhana the One that rides (or has a vehicle) a mouse or mūṣika; vāhana means 'carrying'. So this mouse carries gaṇeśa-ji. Vāhana also means riding, driving and in a broader sense any vehicle or conveyance or draught-animal , carriage , chariot , waggon , horse that one may use for carrying.

Is there a deeper meaning here ?

mūṣaka - a mouse, rat; also a thief, a plunderer. This is what the mouse/rat does , it steals and plunders. It is from the root word mūṣ 'stealer, thief'. And mū is binding , tying , fixing. Now at times this mūṣaka is also another name for the SELF. How so?

It is the notion of mū, as it is (af if) bound to this world of diversity. It is (as if) its freedom is stolen (mūṣ) by diversity, by the multiplicity of creation, yet at all times it is free , but forgets.

Now add rati mūṣaka+rati ; rati is defined as pleasure , enjoyment , delight in , fondness . This rati can be looked at as ra+ti ; ra is rooted in rā acquiring, possessing; as a noun it is splendor, brightness.

We have the notion of that which delights (rati) in the Self (mūṣaka); we also have that which possesses (rā) the Self (mūṣaka). Who is that? the muni - a saint , sage , seer , but more importantly , the realized person. The exponent of Reality.

The muni is rooted in 'man' ' and what is 'man' ? to perceive , observe , learn , know , understand , comprehend What does the muni know? The Self - mūṣaka. And what does s/he delight (rati) in? The Self (mūṣaka).

Hence another name for a muni is mūṣakarati (mūṣaka+rati) - one that delights, finds fondness, and is possessed (rā) of the Self. Who is the Self ? gaṇeśa-ji .

praṇām