PDA

View Full Version : wierd westerners

Kumar_Das
18 July 2011, 09:33 AM
Not an attack towards westerners in general, but those of you who hold this perverse/anti-Vedic view.

Goddess worship somehow means anti-misogyny or pro-feminism and some people are into it because it feeds their feminist fantasies.

sunyata07
18 July 2011, 09:55 AM
Namaste KD,

Without meaning to be blunt, but your post is probably one of the most ignorant (not to mention rude) posts I have ever read on HDF. What makes you assume that all westerners interested in worshipping aspects of Devi are automatically female? It's also an insult to Hindu-born devotees of Goddess. I don't think I even have the time of day to question you on your reasons for posting such a pointless topic. Please think before you post next time. It would save the admins a lot of work.

Om namah Shivaya

c.smith
18 July 2011, 10:02 AM
Right on sunyata!

Kumar_Das
18 July 2011, 10:29 AM
Namaste KD,

Without meaning to be blunt, but your post is probably one of the most ignorant (not to mention rude) posts I have ever read on HDF. What makes you assume that all westerners interested in worshipping aspects of Devi are automatically female? It's also an insult to Hindu-born devotees of Goddess. I don't think I even have the time of day to question you on your reasons for posting such a pointless topic. Please think before you post next time. It would save the admins a lot of work.

Om namah Shivaya

Take deep breathes. Cleanse your mind. Relax your eyes and read slowly and PROPERLY.

Not an attack towards westerners in general, but those of you who hold this perverse/anti-Vedic view. ...

Why you being defensive over nothing for? lol, are you one of them yourself?

You are another one of those ignorant Western "converts", I tend to feel very apprehensive about.

Indians/Hindus have been worshiping the Goddess. Me and my forefathers have been worshiping the Goddess. But no sane Indian ever made Goddess worship synonymous with feminism. It depends on what you mean by feminism. If you mean being pro-high quality female and great respect towards females who deserve such treatment, then I'm in for that feminism. But if its pure hatred then well I can't be bothered.

The perversion that I am talking about is some people thinking that the Goddess represents human femininity and that worshipping her = worshipping all of womanhood.

Just about any Hindu worships any of the female Deities of the Hindu pantheon. But that has done nothing to elevate the standards of women in India.

Read properly damn it. I was talking about the feminists, not westerners or Goddess worshippers as a whole. If you jump to uncalled for sweeping statements, it reflects your inner sentiments and your true subconscious beliefs.

Kumar_Das
18 July 2011, 10:45 AM
Anyways moving on. Some of these western people who hold such ideas are the ones who equate monotheism with misogyny and that it by default means extreme masculinity.

They are the ones who try to escape the Semitic culture and sociology present in Abrahamism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqN9Oan3YnU

They are the aggressive female versions of the very Semitism they abhor and try to find refuge in another religion. That is also why some funky wiccan chicks are so into Hindu Goddesses. Its about being rebellious and spiting your own community, kinky stuff.

WTyler
18 July 2011, 11:14 AM
You spelled weird wrong.

Kumar, you were obviously asking for some sort of argument here. You started a thread with what could have been deemed an insulting title "Wierd Westerners."

And then you go on to give a two line point of view with out properly explaining yourself--and then go into a rant when someone gets offended.

I also found it rather egotistic that you basically told someone to do some breathing exercises to calm down so they could re-read your post--patronizing doesn't sit too well with me.

Even if you didn't mean ill by it, someone was bound to become offended by it--most likely those "weird" or "ignorant" westerners you mentioned.

I think a lot of converts feel insecure about practicing at times, and I know some have trouble adjusting and fitting in. Further adding fuel to that fire never helps.

Now, to the topic at hand--yes. I also see the Goddess being depicted in various New Age ways by Westerners that are just "weird".

I also sometimes feel as if eastern philosophy is such a fad to some western kids who want to break away from Abrahamic religions.

Though, as you may know, the Dharma is very in depth--I would suggest instead of making posts about how weird these folks are.. perhaps you should educate them on the true meaning of worship of the Goddess.

I feel that people flock to the Goddess because, and you kind of alluded to this too, that in Western religions there are scriptures that are widely interpreted as just straight up sexist. Women being below men and what not. Yes, some of this can be found in Hinduism too, but I find that Hindu texts have various translations--some where the "sexist lines" may be interpreted differently.

In Western culture--not too many translations on the bible exist and the ones that do usually keep the sexist material.

To a neophytes eyes, they see The Goddess as a symbol that The Dharma isn't as closed minded as Abrahamic religions. It's a beacon of hope and I find it wonderful that someone would want to join the Dharma because of Her.

Their knowledge and correct understanding of The Goddess, though, must come from learned people as yourself.

Be helpful, rather than this sass you're pulling, friend.

yajvan
18 July 2011, 01:02 PM

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

For me it is quite simple...

The 20th kārikā of the vijñāna Bhairava suggests the following: śaivīmukham ihocyate. Śaivī is śakti or Śrī Devī + mukham is mukha - mouth, opening or aperature. And ucyate is moving, connected or joined.

So this is saying, Śakti is the entrance, the suitable way to join with Śiva. Or another way of viewing it is Śrī Devī (śakti) is the delightful (uc) entrance (mukha) to Śiva. At that moment the bhāvanā of the sādhaka becomes one with Śiva or as it says in the śloka, tadāsau Śivarūpī syāt.

praṇām

NayaSurya
18 July 2011, 01:19 PM
In the years since I began this journey I have been called a huge heap of names...dog...barbarian...on one side...and idolator or crazy on the other.

Weird is oki fine by me. Just look at us...all of us in our sundry colors and backgrounds....driving our Ford's to the Temple in slacks and sandals. I do not mind at all.:p

Now, on to the real underlying discussion...Goddess worship.

There is a whole "contrary" society here in the west and yes....it does cause them to seek out a female form to worship because they hate everything christianity stands for because of its misogynistic attitudes. Both men and women have I met like this...because of this extreme distaste for where they came from they seek everything the opposite.

It is unbalanced...one sided to only see the one Portion of the Whole.

But out of all the Goddess worshipers I have ever met, it's been only a small portion in this category....the others are truly drawn to the more feminine aspects of Beloved...all the while knowing and loving Both Beloved Sides.

There are whole groups in India dedicated to Shakti in this same way...and though yes...the most perfect view and understanding of Beloved is with Beloved Shakti nestled into His Heart...some need something more tangible...more rudamentary to focus upon?

Beloved Ganesh is the gatekeeper...does anyone try to correct one compelled to pray to Him? Why should praying to Her be any different?

As long as it isn't coming from this darker dellusion based upon ones own fixation with their pwn physical gender or experiences with the opposite gender in this lifetime...why concern yourself?

Yes, there are some out there with this extremely bent feminist slant and I do find it off balance. But the majority of seekers who find Her...find Her because She is everywhere! She is our Beloved Mother....and Her arms are wrapped so tightly around us every day of this incarnation. Sheltering us...and interceding. Hard not to find Her first sometimes!

The world is weird...and for all of its beauty...it is equally ugly.

My suggestion is to try to avoid focusing on the glass which is half empty and realize it half full.

Focus and encourage those who are obviously not of this extreme kind you mention above. You waste too much time devoted to trying to correct these ones still so shrouded in confusion and ignorance? It is in Beloved's own good time that these ones become clear to know?

Balance come with support and education, so be a good example!<3

NayaSurya
18 July 2011, 01:20 PM

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

For me it is quite simple...

The 20th kārikā of the vij&#241;āna Bhairava suggests the following: śaivīmukham ihocyate. Śaivī is śakti or Śrī Devī + mukham is mukha - mouth, opening or aperature. And ucyate is moving, connected or joined.

So this is saying, Śakti is the entrance, the suitable way to join with Śiva. Or another way of viewing it is Śrī Devī (śakti) is the delightful (uc) entrance (mukha) to Śiva. At that moment the bhāvanā of the sādhaka becomes one with Śiva or as it says in the śloka, tadāsau Śivarūpī syāt.

praṇām

Yes! So new on the path...they are still just coming to terms with Her Beloved Form! Perhaps it's hard to see those around us struggling, just begining on the way...for those long upon the path. But for all of our stumbling...we will make it...I promise!(even with bare feet:P)

satay
18 July 2011, 11:05 PM
Admin Note

Thread under review.