PDA

View Full Version : How does one become Hindu?

UniversalLove
20 July 2011, 08:35 AM
Namaste. :)

I just realized that my personal beliefs are associated with Hinduism (Sanatana Dharma). How do I begin and deepen my faith?

Thanks. :)

Eastern Mind
20 July 2011, 09:21 AM
Vannakkam Adam: There are several points of view on it, as you might expect. In my version, one does not become Hindu, but rather you already are, and just come to realise it.

I would recommend "How to become a Hindu" but you may find it quite radical. I don't but others do. http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/ Its free on line.

Certainly you can continue to pose questions on this forum. I would also express a lot of caution because of your age. My 'conversion' was 37 years ago, and I'm still working on it every day, so its not like a Christian baptism, and suddenly you're a whole new religion. its a slow arduous process of reprogramming certain areas of the mind to formerly foreign ideas that are just latent in the soul.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
20 July 2011, 11:38 AM
There are some tantalizing bits to get one started by going to The Wikipedia Hinduism Portal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Hinduism). I look it up every day, and just bounce from article to article.

There is also About.com Hinduism (http://hinduism.about.com). It even has the Bhagavad Gītā online (what will they think of next!?). Just avoid the forum. :eek:

AmIHindu
20 July 2011, 02:24 PM
Namaste,

It is a hard question for me to answer. I born in India, I born to Hindu parents but still I have a question, if am I Hindu !! As I do not follow most of the rituals, I never read Bhagwat Gita - Ramayana or Mahabharat. That is the only reason my id is AmIHindu.

Hinduism is way of life, so I want to live that life. If I live that Hinduism life - pure - sattavik then my Soul ( Self ) , Mind ( Mann) and Duddhi ( Intellect) becomes more Sattavik, which leads me to Devotion, and Emotion to Shree Krishna. So if you just go to Temple will not fulfill you being a Hindu person. Whole day and night through out the life, will bring so much of Tej ( light) in yourself. Reading the scripture is important but following the same in real life is more important. So take it easy and do whatever you can do for follow Dharm.

sanjaya
20 July 2011, 02:48 PM
Namaste,

It is a hard question for me to answer. I born in India, I born to Hindu parents but still I have a question, if am I Hindu !! As I do not follow most of the rituals, I never read Bhagwat Gita - Ramayana or Mahabharat. That is the only reason my id is AmIHindu.

For a long time I was in a similar position (except that I was born in the US). I guess at the end of the day, we Indians have it easy because no one will be able to tell the difference!

Eastern Mind
20 July 2011, 03:11 PM
For a long time I was in a similar position (except that I was born in the US). I guess at the end of the day, we Indians have it easy because no one will be able to tell the difference!

Vannakkam: I think second generation Indians here in North America actually have it very difficult, but that's just what I have observed. By 3 or 4 generations, as history has proven with other cultural groups, all facets of Indian culture, including Hinduism could very well be gone completely.

It is the opposite effect of 'total immersion' in a language or cultural in order to learn it.

But hopefully I'm dead wrong.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
20 July 2011, 03:33 PM
Am I Hindu put is most eloquently and very much a Hindu post<3

But I will say it again in the simple ignorant style which is the only way I can.

Hindu is not a stamp you get on the forehead after you get into some water and someone pray over you.

Who we are....who we can become is defined by actions, thoughts and words.

Upon these rest our True identity.<3

sunyata07
20 July 2011, 04:06 PM
Namaste Adam,

Many wise response already offered to you for your consideration. Becoming Hindu is nothing like becoming a born again Christian. If you go down the official route like some people, then you can go through an official name-changing ceremony. This is entirely your own choice, but it should not be made in haste. However, if you don't go through this ritual, this does not also mean you are not Hindu. There is no requirement for fancy rites or classes to "Hinduise" you.

In my version, one does not become Hindu, but rather you already are, and just come to realise it.

I agree completely with EM. It's like waking up to it and remembering Dharma, rather than being taught it from scratch. Some also say that being Hindu is not like being apart of any other religion, in that the moment you consider yourself Hindu (because the beliefs and actions are in fact reflections of your own behaviour or how you would strive to be) you are Hindu. You find you were Hindu all along, so to speak and that's why it is so commonly referred to as a way of life rather than a way of religion. This is what makes Hinduism a truly unique faith. Everything you do becomes seen through the eyes of the Eternal Dharma, and is not separate from it. It's never out of its equation. Science and faith are inextricably bound here, both leading to the Divine.

The wisdom of your true Self already shines in your innermost being. It has never been separate from you. All you need to do now is slowly ease yourself back into this life and become reacquainted to that most essential part of you, which may be simply called God.

Om namah Shivaya

yajvan
20 July 2011, 04:29 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

I hear of this desire to become hindu often on HDF. I ask those then to do some research on this approach
called vrātyastoma - a sacrifice performed to recover the rights forfeited by a delay of the saṃskāra-s.

This ~ritual~ is called out in the taṇḍya brāhmaṇa.

praṇām

UniversalLove
20 July 2011, 05:39 PM
Thank you all very much. :)

Ramakrishna
20 July 2011, 06:44 PM
Namaste Adam,

Since you are really just beginning to learn about Hinduism, you should read and learn about the faith from good unbiased resources. Then, as you learn more about Hinduism, you will see how you fit in and begin worship, practice, etc.

In addition to EMji's suggestion of "How to Become a Hindu", I also suggest reading "What is Hinduism?". It is a very good introduction and outline of the vast beliefs of Hinduism. http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/wih/

A very good series of videos introducing Hinduism by Hinduism Today can be found on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9OCPguVGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1G301YUbBY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2epF_h-3jQA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGpgs6yvQ_0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO-mlg4xS6E&feature=related

Learn about Sanatana Dharma and go from there into your sadhana and living your life as a Hindu. There is no formal "initiation" into Hinduism like there is with other religions. It is an all-encompassing way of life, rather than a creedal, dogmatic belief system. Practice is emphasized above belief.

Jai Sri Ram

UniversalLove
20 July 2011, 07:20 PM
Thank you so much for your help. :)
I have a question, though.

Do I need to select a certain god or goddess through whom to communicate with the Divine? And when in the Hindu path does this occur? And how does one select a god or goddess to focus on?

Eastern Mind
20 July 2011, 07:43 PM

Do I need to select a certain god or goddess through whom to communicate with the Divine? And when in the Hindu path does this occur? And how does one select a god or goddess to focus on?

Vannakkam ILoveGod: Hinduism relies more on intuition than logic. It is more mystical than other religions. So often it is said that God selects you, rather than you selecting God. The whole darn thing is just one big process of self-discovery. :) Some people are just more suited to certain ways than to others. But since 99&#37; of us don't proseltyse out own particular view or Sanatana Dharma in general, it will be up to you and you alone, with the assistance of God.

One of the first Gods or divine helpers of the Hindu faith that reaches out to you and is most easily contacted in decision making is Lord Ganesha. That's a great place to start. After that, I would just advise to explore a bit. Something will most likely stand out to you like a sore thumb, but perhaps not too.

There are 4 main sects. Here on HDF we have representatives of all 4, and for the most part we all get along admirably. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_denominations

Another thing you might to do is go to a Hindu temple. Most souls who know they are Hindus feel right at home in one. If there are several in your neighbourhood, you could explore a few ... one at a time. See what 'feels' right, if any.

Best wishes in the search.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
20 July 2011, 08:01 PM

Whatever god(s) or goddess(es) you are drawn to are the Divine. They are, after all, just different aspects of the One God, Brahman, The Absolute Truth.

It is said that your Ishtadeva, your personal deva (god) or devi (goddess) will select you. You'll be drawn to one or several, and you'll know it as you become more familiar with Sanatana Dharma, and how you want to interact with God. I myself am drawn to Sri Krishna as my Ishtadeva, but I certainly pray to and honor other deities. Why I am drawn to Sri Krishna? No idea, but it just feels right. I think He drew me to Himself.

Some people feel that only one god or goddess is necessary, others are more eclectic and non-sectarian, like me. Look up Vaishnavism (dedication to Lord Vishnu, specifically Lord Krishna as Supreme God); Shaivism, dedication to Lord Shiva as Supreme God; Shaktism, dedication to Goddess as Supreme; Smartism, which is kind of eclectic.

Jainarayan
20 July 2011, 08:03 PM
Vannakkam ILoveGod: Hinduism relies more on intuition than logic. It is more mystical than other religions. So often it is said that God selects you, rather than you selecting God. The whole darn thing is just one big process of self-discovery. :) Some people are just more suited to certain ways than to others. But since 99% of us don't proseltyse out own particular view or Sanatana Dharma in general, it will be up to you and you alone, with the assistance of God.

One of the first Gods or divine helpers of the Hindu faith that reaches out to you and is most easily contacted in decision making is Lord Ganesha. That's a great place to start. After that, I would just advise to explore a bit. Something will most likely stand out to you like a sore thumb, but perhaps not too.

There are 4 main sects. Here on HDF we have representatives of all 4, and for the most part we all get along admirably. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_denominations

Another thing you might to do is go to a Hindu temple. Most souls who know they are Hindus feel right at home in one. If there are several in your neighbourhood, you could explore a few ... one at a time. See what 'feels' right, if any.

Best wishes in the search.

Aum Namasivaya

No, I did not plagiarize your post. :Roll:

Jainarayan
20 July 2011, 08:06 PM
I forgot to mention Lord Ganesha, as EM did, as being the "go-between" deva. Lord Ganesha is the remover of obstacles. One of those obstacles is the confusion of being confronted and overwhelmed by the newness of Hinduism. Lord Ganesha can help clear your mind. But He can also place obstacles in our way when we need to be "reined in" for our own good, so to speak.

UniversalLove
20 July 2011, 08:20 PM
This all is very awesome. :) I just don't know where to start, even with Lord Ganesha.. He sounds very wonderful, but is there a certain mantra to contact him or should I just pray like I would talk to a friend?

devotee
20 July 2011, 10:39 PM
Vannakkam Adam: There are several points of view on it, as you might expect. In my version, one does not become Hindu, but rather you already are, and just come to realise it.

It's like waking up to it and remembering Dharma, rather than being taught it from scratch. Some also say that being Hindu is not like being apart of any other religion, in that the moment you consider yourself Hindu (because the beliefs and actions are in fact reflections of your own behaviour or how you would strive to be) you are Hindu. You find you were Hindu all along, so to speak and that's why it is so commonly referred to as a way of life rather than a way of religion. This is what makes Hinduism a truly unique faith. Everything you do becomes seen through the eyes of the Eternal Dharma, and is not separate from it. It's never out of its equation. Science and faith are inextricably bound here, both leading to the Divine.

The wisdom of your true Self already shines in your innermost being. It has never been separate from you. All you need to do now is slowly ease yourself back into this life and become reacquainted to that most essential part of you, which may be simply called God.

Excellent posts ! :)

OM

Jainarayan
21 July 2011, 09:41 AM
This all is very awesome. :) I just don't know where to start, even with Lord Ganesha.. He sounds very wonderful, but is there a certain mantra to contact him or should I just pray like I would talk to a friend?

Both.

There are lots of mantras to Sri Ganesha:

Special Ganesha Mantras

AUM Sri Maha Ganapataye Namah
"Prostrations to the great Lord Ganesha". OM is the original, most powerful Mantra sound. It is a part of almost every other Mantra, and serves to invoke pure supreme vibrations. Sri is a title of reverent respect. Maha means great. Ganapati is another name of Ganesha who is symbolized as the elephant headed god, representing strength and fortitude. He is the remover of obstacles and bestower of success

Aum Shri Ganeshaya Namah
"Praise to Lord Ganesha". This is the mantra of prayer, love and adoration. It is chanted to get Ganesha's blessings for the positive starting of a project, work or simply to offer him the praise.
Aum Gan Ganapatye Namah
This is Lord Ganesha's mula ("root") mantra .It is also known as his ''beej'' Mantra. This mantra is used for Yoga Sadhana in which we pray to Lord Ganesha and merge ourself with the supreme knowledge and peace. This is a mantra from Ganapati Upanishad. One can always use it before starting any new venture so that success comes without any hassle.
Aum Vakratundaya Hum
This is a powerful mantra from Ganesha Purana. When things are not in your favour, or when the minds of the people turn negative, depressed or discouraged, the attention of Ganesha may be drawn by this mantra to straighten their ways. The HUM symbolizes "Delay no more, my Lord, in straightening the paths of the crooked-minded ones." This mantra is used many a times in the Ganesha Purana to reduce the violence of cruel demons. In addition, this mantra could also be used for healing any spinal problem, such as curvature of the spine or curved limbs. Dedicate 1,008 repetitions of this holy word to straighten and heal such deficiencies.
Aum Kshipra Prasadaya Namah
Kshipra means immediate. If some danger or negative energy is coming your way and you don't know how to get rid of that danger, with true devotion, practice this mantra for quick blessing and purification of one's aura.
Aum Shrim Hrim Klim Glaum Gam Ganapataye vara varada sarva janamme vashamanaya svaha
There are several beej (seed) mantras in this mantra. Among other things, it says, "Shower Your blessings, O Lord. I offer my ego as an oblation."
Aum Sumukhaya Namah
This mantra has a lot of meaning, in simple terms, it means you will be always very beautiful in soul, in spirit, in face, everything. By meditating on this mantra, very pleasing manners and a beauty comes on you. Along with that comes peace, which constantly works in your eyes; and the words you speak are all filled with that power of love.
Aum Ekadantaya Namah
Ekadanta refers to one tusk in the elephant face, which means God broke the duality and made you to have a complete one-pointed mind. Whoever has that oneness of mind and single-minded devotion will achieve everything.
Aum Kapilaya Namah
Kapila (red) means that you are able to give colour therapy. You are able to create colours around yourself and around others, soak them in that colour and heal them. As per the mantra you create, so will you create the colors. Another meaning is "wish cow," the "cow of plenty." It means that whatever you wish, that comes true. There is a wish-cow inside you. Whatever you wish, especially for curing others, comes true instantly.
Aum Gajakarnikaya Namah
The ears of Ganesha, the elephant - god, are constant fanning, which means people can talk a lot, but you are not receiving inside anything other than what is important. It also means that you can sit anywhere and tune this celestial tube (the body) with seven channels (chakras) and all 72,000 nadis, to any loka and be able to hear ancestors, angels, the voice of God or the voice of prophets. That kind of inner ear you will develop through this mantra.
Aum Lambodaraya Namah
This means you feel that you are this universe. It means that all the celestial bodies are within you. Like an entire tree is in the seed, the whole universe is in the sound of creation, which is Aum, and that Aum consciousness in you makes you feel that you are the universe. Therefore, if you say, realizing the oneness with the universe, "shanti to the world" every day, then the grace of God will come and there will be world peace, universal peace. It is the universe within Aum and Aum within you.
Aum Vikataya Namah
This means realizing this world as a dream or a drama. When you are in that high consciousness, this whole world looks like a dream. All of us have taken a role. We have to play our role in life as wife or husband or children or citizens, all consistent with the role we have taken. When an actor bitten by a sponge cobra that is brought on the stage falls, the entire audience cries; but that boy who has fallen knows it was not a real cobra and he is not dead. Life is a drama --definitely life in this material world, this physical world of ego, is a drama. But inside, like the boy on the stage who is quite happy knowing that he didn't die by the bite of the sponge cobra, like that, the truth never dies in us; it is immortal. So everything else you consider as drama. That consciousness comes to you by knowing this mantra.
Aum Vighna Nashanaya Namah
This mantra invokes the Lord Ganesha to remove every hindrance in your life and in your works. By constant meditation on this mantra, all obstacles and blocked energy in your physical and cosmological bodies are released.
Aum Vinayakaya Namah
Vinayaka is the name of Ganesha in the golden age. So by realizing this mantra, your life will have a golden age. In your office, in your work, you'll be the boss. Vinayaka means something under control. Vinayaka means the Lord of resolving problems.
Aum Ganadhyakshaya Namah
This mantra is very important. Suppose you have a group, a country, neighbours, or any kind of group therapy, group healing or a whole country requiring healing, then you have to bring that entire group to your mind's arena and say this mantra. A group healing takes place by this mantra.
Aum Bhalachandraya Namah
In Sanskrit, bhala means the forehead center. Chandra means the crescent moon. Bhalachandra means that chakra from where the nectar drips. That is the secret of all healing. It is to feel yourself as Shiva, identifying yourself with the Truth and feeling constantly that you are carrying the crescent moon, the symbol of growth and nectar of peace.

AmIHindu
21 July 2011, 10:01 AM
Namaste Yajvan ji,

namasté

I hear of this desire to become hindu often on HDF. I ask those then to do some research on this approach
called vrātyastoma - a sacrifice performed to recover the rights forfeited by a delay of the saṃskāra-s.

praṇām Please share some thoughts on above.

kallol
21 July 2011, 10:08 AM
Dear Adam,

As you suggested that you feel closer to the idea of Hinduism, I would suggest you to observe the flow of the information in this forum for sometime.

As EM has put it rightly, there is no overnight conversion. Generally in other religion the stress in on physical conversion - Hinduism has none of it officially.

Here it is mental. And as you understand the mental conversion is a tough one considering the attachments, legacy, belief, culture, etc. It requires patience. However the strong love for what you think is right will help you overcome all of these hurdles.

In hinduism you will find the UNITY in absolute DIVERSITY. You may get lost, confused, bewildered and at the same time fascinated. Only a long exposure to this will slowly open the door to the enternal knowledge of creation and life.

Enjoy this forum - let it quench your desire to know the TRUTH slowly and surely.

Love and best wishes

yajvan
21 July 2011, 11:03 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

Both.
There are lots of mantras to Sri Ganesha:

Yes, this is true there are many mantra's for śrī gaṇeśa . I also know that your intent is good and pure... yet for someone new to this whole concept this is a challenging place to start.
If one begins to learn to swim we start out in the shallow end of the pool. With confidence we move to the deeper end. Like that the same is true with mantra's, chanting and the like. We start simple, meaningfully and then expand.

If one looks into the meditation file folder there is sufficient information to take the conversation further.

praṇām

Eastern Mind
21 July 2011, 01:24 PM
Hinduism has none of it officially.

hinduism you will find the UNITY in absolute DIVERSITY. You may get lost, confused, bewildered and at the same time fascinated. Only a long exposure to this will slowly open the door to the enternal knowledge of creation and life.

Vannakkam kallol et al: I have an 'official' certificate, as I did go quite a ways to becoming Hindu. That piece of paper has only helped me once however. (to enter a temple) I believe the Arya Samaj also issues certificates when they bring Hindus back to their Mother after being converted away.

So this is just yet another example of the last part of your quote I kept intact. Diversity, yet unity. I think I'm in a very small portion of converts or adoptives that actually did a legal name change.

Aum Namasivaya

charitra
21 July 2011, 05:04 PM
Vannakkam kallol et al: I have an 'official' certificate, as I did go quite a ways to becoming Hindu.
Aum Namasivaya
Namaste all. Agree with EM. There are ashrams,monateries and missions which will help one go through the transition process smoothly. Another American recently posted his own conversion experience that took place in Pittsburgh.( I posted the same link recently on the forum elsewhere). Methinks ILG should wait at least a couple of years.

http://bamboothoughtlemons.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-06-27T21%3A15%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=1

Eastern Mind
21 July 2011, 05:49 PM
Namaste all. Agree with EM. There are ashrams,monateries and missions which will help one go through the transition process smoothly. Another American recently posted his own conversion experience that took place in Pittsburgh.( I posted the same link recently on the forum elsewhere). Methinks ILG should wait at least a couple of years.

http://bamboothoughtlemons.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-06-27T21%3A15%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=1

Vannakkam: Try at least 5 years, or not at all. Even then it is a huge step. I was in 'religious education' 5 years. We took long essay exams and readings for a long time in order to convince ourselves and others. Changing one's name is most certainly not a necessary step at all. In fact, many would say its foolish.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
22 July 2011, 01:06 AM
Namasté,

I also offer an opinion on this subject of how to become Hindu.

The other members are wise, who say that becoming Hindu is a journey homeward, within oneself and towards God, and discovering a belief system that aligns with what one already feels and knows deep within.

However, if a person wishes to become officially Hindu, a follower of Sanātana Dharma and one known to all as such, one should be prepared to "die" in my opinion. (Perhaps this is the reason that many religions enact a symbolic death of the aspirant, in their ceremonies of conversion, initiation, or transition.)

People do their best to love each other without conditions or strings, but often we select our companions based upon certain conditions or expectations, and we don't realise this until someone's personality changes drastically. When a person's character changes completely from the person we've known, we must decide whether to accept them in their new, "evolved" state - whether that evolution be for the better (such as a joyous newfound purpose in life) or worse (like pursuing an addiction or other dangerous behaviour).

A Hindu may begin practicing yoga, meditating regularly, following rules regarding purity; may drop practices such as drug or alcohol use or frequenting bars or clubs; s/he may lose interest in secular hobbies or casual friendships and wish to devote increasing time to spiritual practice, and there are many more examples I could provide. Continued spiritual practice can, and does, completely remake a person.

Thus, we may be who we are within our own hearts, but when we reveal those thoughts and feelings to others - whether officially, with statements such as "I have become a Hindu and am spending more time in faith-related activities," or unofficially, by changing our words and deeds - others will react, and make decisions, accordingly. And sometimes, people do believe that those of different faiths or different interests are not to be included in their lives.

I do not speak idly on this subject, for I have changed into a different woman than others knew before, and so have experienced disownment, estrangement, and divorce. Religion was a factor - though not the only factor - in all three. God is great, to illuminate so suddenly and brilliantly how the matters of this world are transient, and how His love will endure through anything! But had I not been acquainted with the ideas I have written above, the events of the last several years might have proved a terrible shock, or could have discouraged me from faith.

ILoveGod, my opinion is that you are of course free to learn and explore all the ideas, writings, and scriptures that you can read. But understand that becoming Hindu - or any new religion, especially when coming from a prior religion strongly entrenched among your friends and family - could mean a complete and significant change in your entire existence, as startling and sudden as a lightning bolt striking the ground. Sanātana Dharma is not a faith to be shelved and taken out occasionally like so many books, but a complete way of life.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

kallol
22 July 2011, 02:35 AM
Vannakkam kallol et al: I have an 'official' certificate, as I did go quite a ways to becoming Hindu. That piece of paper has only helped me once however. (to enter a temple) I believe the Arya Samaj also issues certificates when they bring Hindus back to their Mother after being converted away.

So this is just yet another example of the last part of your quote I kept intact. Diversity, yet unity. I think I'm in a very small portion of converts or adoptives that actually did a legal name change.

Aum Namasivaya

I am sorry. I did not express it in the right way. Yes your are right that there are some new lines of groups who can convert to Hinduism like Iskcon, Arya Samaj, etc. I fully accept that fact.

My intention was related to the holistic definition of Hinduism where all are already included. Only question remains - whether the mind is there or not.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

Love and best wishes

Onkara
22 July 2011, 02:54 AM
My intention was related to the holistic definition of Hinduism where all are already included. Only question remains - whether the mind is there or not.

Love and best wishes
You touch on the fundamental point, which is a sense of belonging. We may all already belong, but still we feel we need to "do" something more.

Many people seem to seek a way to unite or bond with Hinduism, and why not! The rewards are great!

There are many posts on changing names, or how to become Hindu, what to do next and how to do it better. I benefit from those too.

What has fascinated me is what drives this sensation. It is like an insatiable thirst :)

Eastern Mind
22 July 2011, 07:47 AM
What has fascinated me is what drives this sensation. It is like an insatiable thirst :)

Vannakkam Onkara: The sensation, as you call it, is beyond words. The first time I saw a 'living' murthi, I fell forward in prostration, not because I felt like prostrating, but because I could not stand. It was like someone just walloped me upside the head with a giant spiritual baseball bat.

Indraneela, I echo your sentiments regarding dieing for it.

But I really think there are variations on the theme, just as there are variations in any sense of dedication. We all know those who shall we say, always go all out, and then there are those who are more relaxed.

I also am guessing this experience would be harder for a born Hindu to understand, as all they can do is hear about it, not do it.

Aum Namasivaya

kallol
22 July 2011, 09:00 AM
"What has fascinated me is what drives this sensation. It is like an insatiable thirst"

Can I say that "the concept of SD liberates our mind to seek infinite" ?

May be the insatiable thirst is the representation of that mind seeking the bottom of endless depth.

Love and best wishes

Onkara
22 July 2011, 09:08 AM
Vannakkam Onkara: The sensation, as you call it, is beyond words. The first time I saw a 'living' murthi, I fell forward in prostration, not because I felt like prostrating, but because I could not stand. It was like someone just walloped me upside the head with a giant spiritual baseball bat.

Aum Namasivaya
What do you mean by "living", EM?

"What has fascinated me is what drives this sensation. It is like an insatiable thirst"

Can I say that "the concept of SD liberates our mind to seek infinite" ?

May be the insatiable thirst is the representation of that mind seeking the bottom of endless depth.

I like the idea that our mind is liberated to seek the infinite. It certainly feels like an endless path at times. There is so much. :)

According to Kashmir Shaivism it is divine will which makes us drive to find ourselves. As we are ultimately that divine will, it is nothing but our nature to seek the truth of what we are :)

Eastern Mind
22 July 2011, 09:35 AM
What do you mean by "living", EM?

Vannakkam: Murthis are just brass, 5 metals, granite, marble, etc .... until the trained priests 'open their eyes' or imbibe them with spiritual energy. So an ordinary murthi one might buy in a store hasn't had this done to it. But when a temple opens, there is a series of consecration of the murthis. Only after that is complete can they see.

Aum Namasivaya

sunyata07
22 July 2011, 04:58 PM
Namaste,

I find it an amazing thing, too. I have also long been fascinated with how spontaneous and natural this drive feels in Hinduism. It's like the atman is being called back Home, with no extraneous reward or payoff like you'd find with Christianity with promises of eternal paradise. Just complete union with your Self, no more illusions of separation - that state which was and is destined for you.

I have to say that sounds like a pretty intense darshan. Interesting about the living murtis. I had no idea they could be made to be living.

Om namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
22 July 2011, 05:54 PM
I have to say that sounds like a pretty intense darshan. Interesting about the living murtis. I had no idea they could be made to be living.

Om namah Shivaya

Vannakkam Sunyata: The playing with energies within a temple, and murthis can be ridiculously mystical. I remember the day we moved the temple here in whats called a Balastapanam ceremony. The entire energy of the murthi (and that murthi had been around, but that's another story) was put into a kumba pot (water will hold this energy). Then we drove (I was the car driver) Him (and Siva and Murugan) to the new site. The chief priest was beside me holding the temple. I've never had such a ride in my life. I was really really naive at the time so had no clue what was really going on. All I remember was 'Drive carefully'.
:)

A second car followed with the murthis, empty of energy.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
22 July 2011, 06:38 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

.... until the trained priests 'open their eyes' or imbibe them with spiritual energy. So an ordinary murthi one might buy in a store hasn't had this done to it. But when a temple opens, there is a series of consecration of the murthis. Only after that is complete can they see.

This is prāṇa pratiṣṭha; this was discussed for those that have interest:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=68807&postcount=4 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=68807&postcount=4)

praṇām

Eastern Mind
22 July 2011, 07:29 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

This is prāṇa pratiṣṭha; this was discussed for those that have interest:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=68807&postcount=4 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=68807&postcount=4)

praṇām

Vannakkam Yajvan: It is a once in a lifetime, for the murthi, and the temple, so if there ever is a time when one should go to see something 'special', that would be it. Just an amazing event. I think I remember the abhishekham to the entire temple from the top as being the most amazing part. I can't imagine what Tanjore's temple would have been like. They would have had bamboos scaffolding, and then passing all the sanctified water necessary up hand to hand. I can sort of picture it.

Next year here it's the 12 anniversary, so the first 'regular' kumbabishekham. Still the priests have to transfer the energy out of the temple so they can clean all the murthis inside properly. Let's just say the wind shall be a blowin'. :)

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
22 July 2011, 07:53 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

It is a once in a lifetime, for the murthi, and the temple,

When the temple is initially constucted then the partiṣṭhāvidhi rite or observance is done for the whole temple; yes, this is a big deal.

If one wished to read about this whole process , the book All About Hindu Temples, will out line this for the reader ( ISBN number 81-7120-085-0).

praṇām

Friend from the West
22 July 2011, 10:46 PM
Namaste Vajvan and to all,
My ignorance, what is, ISBN number 81-7120-085-0?
Thanks very much.
FFTW

Onkara
23 July 2011, 04:53 AM
Namaste Vajvan and to all,
My ignorance, what is, ISBN number 81-7120-085-0?
Thanks very much.
FFTW

ISBN means International Standard Book Number, it is the way that each publication can be found and located regardless of author or title. Of course the books has that too, but ISBN searches can pin-point the edition of the book i.e. year of publication. You can look this up on the web or in a book merchant's site for example.

kallol
23 July 2011, 06:10 AM
I like the idea that our mind is liberated to seek the infinite. It certainly feels like an endless path at times. There is so much. :)

Actually I had that feeling of bottomlessness when I allowed the mind to seek the knowledge without constraints.

Though it was scary for me but again it revealed so much !!! :) :)

Liberating the mind from the constraints of the sansar, more so during the mananam stage, helps one to get the knowledge with relative ease.

I have lost that skill :(

Onkara
23 July 2011, 08:59 AM
Actually I had that feeling of bottomlessness when I allowed the mind to seek the knowledge without constraints.

Though it was scary for me but again it revealed so much !!! :) :)

Liberating the mind from the constraints of the sansar, more so during the mananam stage, helps one to get the knowledge with relative ease.

I have lost that skill :(

That is an interesting observation. The bottomlessness is felt!
So beyond the constraints of the mind, ideas and words there is something profound. It depends on no-thing to get there yet it is knowable when reached.

So why not rest there? What brings 'you' back again?

I think answers to that will answer the dilemma of "loss of skill". It was your nature already, when you came to it you felt it.

The memory of past actions may bind us to thinking that there was a procedure or a path that is somehow now overgrown or forgotten in time. In reality the roots can never be severed.

Onkara
23 July 2011, 09:05 AM
I find it an amazing thing, too. I have also long been fascinated with how spontaneous and natural this drive feels in Hinduism. It's like the atman is being called back Home, with no extraneous reward or payoff... Just complete union with your Self, no more illusions of separation - that state which was and is destined for you.

Om namah Shivaya

namasté Sunyata,
I can relate to your words. When my eyes become sore of reading and I put the scripture down, there is still a connection, a sense of feeling at home no matter where I am and when.

Sometimes I find an attractive idea or I want to be more "Hindu", life then becomes a blur as I latch hold and I am pulled along with the thirst to grasp that idea a bit more than before. Really this is illusive as we already have all we need. :)

kallol
23 July 2011, 09:59 AM
That is an interesting observation. The bottomlessness is felt!
So beyond the constraints of the mind, ideas and words there is something profound. It depends on no-thing to get there yet it is knowable when reached.

So why not rest there? What brings 'you' back again?

I think answers to that will answer the dilemma of "loss of skill". It was your nature already, when you came to it you felt it.

The memory of past actions may bind us to thinking that there was a procedure or a path that is somehow now overgrown or forgotten in time. In reality the roots can never be severed.

The feeling was that of never ending sinking. Generally our perception of finite limits our mind. The mind is trained to reach destination. Whether it is thinking of moon, sun, galaxy or universe. It can be other aspects also.

But when the mind is let go beyond this, there is an uneasy feeling of not being able to reach the destination or "rest" the mind.

Mind is not habituated to this scenario. May be with practice it could have been mastered. But again the feeling is the only thing which remains.

Getting there again consciously - with a hope to reach there - may be difficult.

Love and best wishes

arjunah
23 July 2011, 10:00 AM
I consider myself Hindu. I don't really think there is much else I need to do.

UniversalLove
24 July 2011, 12:57 PM

that sounds good. :)

Eastern Mind
24 July 2011, 01:34 PM

Vannakkam Arjunah and ILovegod: I don't view it quite that simply, although I certainly understand that there really is no argument against what another person considers himself.

What I have seen (not suggesting this is true for either of you) is a declaration of convenience, or even coolness. I once knew a 'Christian' for example. I knew this chap for a year. At the end of the year, other Christians came to me and said that that guy was no Christian. Why? Because he didn't act accordingly. He was what you call a chronic sinner if there is such a thing. Certainly wouldn't want that nutjob representing my religion. The others were embarrassed.

I also know a guy who claims to be a Buddhist. Any yet it is the same. Some of the things he does in the name of Buddhism are questionable at best. a universalist, perhaps, I'm really not sure. Certainly He doesn't fit with the very little I know of Buddhism.

The Indian drivers I have met seem to be able to take on the religion of the fares they have. Now this is more a survival mechanism rather than a legitimate declaration. So if the paying customer is a Christian and its obvious, I would be too. The tip will most likely be bigger at the end of the day.

Same thing with the fads of following a Guru. "Oh, I'm a follower of _______."
"Really, have you read his books?"
"Well, no, not actually."
"Do you know he advocates _____________?"
"Well, no, I didn't know that."

I can think of several wrong (false) reasons to be Hindu.
1) It's cool.
2) A scripture is a sex manual.
3) My friend are all Hindu.
4) There are less rules than in other religions.
5) Nobody is watching over me.
6) You can believe whatever you want.

You get the idea. The main point is there really has to some belief involved that coincides with already accepted general belief. There has to be a lifestyle practised that generally coincides with the Hindu scriptural guidelines on lifestyle.

Otherwise, you're just like the Christian above. You may be a Hindu to you, but you're not to me, or to many other Hindus.

Again, I'm not suggesting anything personal, but curiousity seekers do come and read these threads sometimes. :)

Aum Namasivaya

charitra
24 July 2011, 02:52 PM
Vannakkam Arjunah and ILovegod: I don't view it quite that simply, although I certainly understand that there really is no argument against what another person considers himself.

What I have seen (not suggesting this is true for either of you) is a declaration of convenience, or even coolness. I once knew a 'Christian' for example. I knew this chap for a year. At the end of the year, other Christians came to me and said that that guy was no Christian. Why? Because he didn't act accordingly. He was what you call a chronic sinner if there is such a thing. Certainly wouldn't want that nutjob representing my religion. The others were embarrassed.

I also know a guy who claims to be a Buddhist. Any yet it is the same. Some of the things he does in the name of Buddhism are questionable at best. a universalist, perhaps, I'm really not sure. Certainly He doesn't fit with the very little I know of Buddhism.

The Indian drivers I have met seem to be able to take on the religion of the fares they have. Now this is more a survival mechanism rather than a legitimate declaration. So if the paying customer is a Christian and its obvious, I would be too. The tip will most likely be bigger at the end of the day.

1) It's cool.

You get the idea. The main point is there really has to some belief involved that coincides with already accepted general belief. There has to be a lifestyle practised that generally coincides with the Hindu scriptural guidelines on lifestyle.

Otherwise, you're just like the Christian above. You may be a Hindu to you, but you're not to me, or to many other Hindus.

Again, I'm not suggesting anything personal, but curiousity seekers do come and read these threads sometimes. :)

Aum Namasivaya

Agree completely, one has to believe in hindu doctrines to be able to call oneself a hindu.

sunyata07
24 July 2011, 03:25 PM

1) It's cool.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM,

Good post! I agree with what you've said, but I took Arjunah's answer to mean that he follows the essential requirements within SD - faith in the Vedas and scriptures, belief in karmic law, belief in reincarnation, belief in and worship of God, etc. - and that he doesn't need to prove himself outside these basics to anyone but himself and his guru.

Om namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
24 July 2011, 05:42 PM
Namaste EM,

Good post! I agree with what you've said, but I took Arjunah's answer to mean that he follows the essential requirements within SD - faith in the Vedas and scriptures, belief in karmic law, belief in reincarnation, belief in and worship of God, etc. - and that he doesn't need to prove himself outside these basics to anyone but himself and his guru.

Om namah Shivaya

Vannakkam Sunyata: Yes, that is how I took it too. My post was intended for those who might read the thread and others like it.

Aum Namasivaya

UniversalLove
24 July 2011, 05:45 PM

1) It's cool.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM,

Very good point. I totally have no wish to wear "Hindu" like a title, though, as if it's cool. It's just that many of my beliefs strongly line up with Hinduism. It is a way of life that I love. That's all.
I'm not sure if it was you or someone else who said this, but someone mentioned that I would have to wait a few years just to begin being a follower of Sanatana Dharma. But why wait a few years just to begin a faith and walk, which you are already inclined to and feel you are ready to committ to? Since it is still summer, I am indeed learning more about the background of the faith so I can develope my vision of it, but I think after that I could really begin the walk, with some personal friends helping me along the way. I hope to find friends who are Hindu in college.

That's just what I'm wondering. I know that people want others to be very reverent of Sanatana Dharma, and I want to do that because this is a belief I strongly think I want to commit to. I don't want to wear it or commercialize it in any way, or do anything that would seem to "devalue" it. So I have no negative intentions. I simply wish to walk in this path. :)

iksvakave
24 July 2011, 05:55 PM
Sunyata,

I loved your response. You said it better than I could ever possibly say.
Here is what you said:
In my version, one does not become Hindu, but rather you already are, and just come to realise it.

Eastern Mind
24 July 2011, 06:27 PM
I'm not sure if it was you or someone else who said this, but someone mentioned that I would have to wait a few years just to begin being a follower of Sanatana Dharma. But why wait a few years just to begin a faith and walk, which you are already inclined to and feel you are ready to committ to?

Vannakkam ILoveGod: You've already begun what is a long process. So yes, there is no point in waiting 3 or 4 years. I'm a little different in that there was a process that took about 5 years of learning before I felt more than 50&#37; Hindu, and there was an actual mystical ritual I had (namakarana samskara) that solidified it. Now, 30 years later maybe I'm at 80%. There is still western stuff in my subconscious mind. Maybe that's what was wrongly conveyed by me.

My point was just that it isn't a snap of the fingers. The realisations of what you believe open up slowly. You know how it is when something just clicks when you read it. Thoughts like, "Wow, that just makes just so much sense" ... or "Yeah, that's so true."

Aum Namasivaya

UniversalLove
24 July 2011, 06:34 PM
My point was just that it isn't a snap of the fingers. The realisations of what you believe open up slowly. You know how it is when something just clicks when you read it. Thoughts like, "Wow, that just makes just so much sense" ... or "Yeah, that's so true."

Aum Namasivaya

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks. :)

arjunah
27 July 2011, 11:18 AM
Why bother to question the faith of another? What spiritual advancement will this bring for your own self?

Eastern Mind
27 July 2011, 12:19 PM
Why bother to question the faith of another? What spiritual advancement will this bring for your own self?

Vannakkam: If someone is a liar, do you want to know? If they have a criminal record, do you want to know? If you want to avoid insulting them, maybe its a good idea to know their faith. Just some random reasons, not necessarily to be abided by. People vary. Personally, I like to know .. in certain specific circumstances for sure. An example is when I'm giving a guided tour of our temple. What I say to an agnostic is different than what I say to Christians.

Aum Namasivaya

TatTvamAsi
27 July 2011, 02:22 PM
Live a pious life with discipline and avoid tamasic lifestyle. Eventually, you will be born into a Hindu family in the pUnyA bhUmI, BharatvarSA (India).

charitra
27 July 2011, 03:13 PM
.... you will be born into a Hindu family in the pUnyA bhUmI, BharatvarSA (India).

Namaste TTA,
My kids were born and raised here in the west, I fail to see the wisdom in asking others to go and take birth in an asian land. Just because I was born there it doesn’t mean I can refuse citizenship to Kalmadi, Raja, Karunanidhi and all other Tamasic sinners who walked that land the same time period I did.

Whereas the Himalayan academy monks, David Frawley, Krishna Das or Frank Morales having originated from West will not have any problem whatsoever to attain Brahman, most certainly they are way ahead of me and so many other deshi praja. Please google western hindus and see the chain blogs which will lead you to many other likeminded souls who embraced hinduism. We as proponents of advaita cannot draw lines between people on one basis or other. Sorry iam not picking on you, just a generic statement. No offence.

TatTvamAsi
27 July 2011, 05:40 PM
Namaste TTA,
My kids were born and raised here in the west, I fail to see the wisdom in asking others to go and take birth in an asian land. Just because I was born there it doesn’t mean I can refuse citizenship to Kalmadi, Raja, Karunanidhi and all other Tamasic sinners who walked that land the same time period I did.

Whereas the Himalayan academy monks, David Frawley, Krishna Das or Frank Morales having originated from West will not have any problem whatsoever to attain Brahman, most certainly they are way ahead of me and so many other deshi praja. Please google western hindus and see the chain blogs which will lead you to many other likeminded souls who embraced hinduism. We as proponents of advaita cannot draw lines between people on one basis or other. Sorry iam not picking on you, just a generic statement. No offence.

Namaste Charitra,

No offence taken. However, let me explain my position.

First and foremost, exceptions do not make the rule. Karunanidhi and other trash that are in India are most definitely very low in character and spiritual development. However, the land, that is India, is the epicenter of spirituality on this planet. There is no doubt about that. A grand tree will give rise to some leaves that are withered but should not be judged on the basis of them alone. That tree is India.

I've stated this many times before, but, it is not a coincidence that India was the homeland where Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism arose. Spirituality is synonymous with India. Of course, many Indians, all over India, are antithetical to this spirituality but you must be careful not to throw all of India out with them! There are still very spiritual people maintaining orthodox traditions all over India. They are the rule. The exceptions of India are the bad apples like the ones you've stated.

Outside India, it is a rarity to come across someone truly spiritual. Those people you've mentioned, like Frank Morales, is another wannabe Hindu gurU. He has undertaken serious study of SD which is great but to turn around and proclaim himself an "AcharyA" is laughable. He also started preaching about Jesus' legitimacy which should have any Hindu cringe. David Frawley is a great scholar and is a pro-Hindu Hindu. He is a complete exception. Himalayan Academy monks are also an exception as they have dedicated their ENITRE LIVES to Dharma. Why do you quote exceptions as the rule? Is this person "ILoveGod" going to take Sannyas? I would wager not. In fact, most westerners, or non-Indians, who are interested in Hinduism dabble in its practices for a short while and then either abandon it completely or become disillusioned and return to their corpse-worshiping cult, I mean, Christianity.

As a Hindu, you know that birth is not an accident. It is not the PLACE you are born but the lineage you have, along with guna (character), and action (karma) that can be cultivated by proper company, education, and upbringing, that makes you Hindu. My children (if and when I have them) may be born in Antarctica. They will be Hindu, just very cold Hindus perhaps. :)

There are many non-Indian Hindus yes. As I've always stated before, if one is truly serious and sincere, they are most welcome to be part of it. Hinduism is not a drink to be tried out for a few months. Hinduism is not a "chic" trend to go along with when convenient.

It seems there are serious western Hindus on HDF like EasternMind, Yajvan, and BryonMorrigan. They are dedicated and they are most welcome. I am wary about charlatans and devious people who claim they are interested in Hinduism only to turn around and talk trash about it and/or India. You can see examples of this on HDF itself. I won't name any names but be aware of this next time you read something similar.

I know what I'm saying sounds like I want to divide people further but you have to understand I speak from personal experience. Of course, this doesn't encapsulate everyone or what could potentially happen but I feel I have a good reason for stating what I have stated. As Hindus, we know our incarnations are NOT the same, just the AtmA. It would be erroneous for us to state that just because the AtmA is the paramAtman, all jIvAs are the same; they are not! If they are, then everyone would be enlightened and there is no need for any 'religion' or progress of spirituality.

Namaskar.

charitra
27 July 2011, 06:34 PM

It seems there are serious western Hindus on HDF like EasternMind, Yajvan, and BryonMorrigan. Namaskar.

Yajvan is a western hindu, really?
Yajvanji, are you?

Eastern Mind
27 July 2011, 06:50 PM
Vannakkam: It's too confusing. Let's toss out the idea of western Hindu and Eastern Hindu. We're just Hindus of varying sects, sincerity, programming and more. The soul isn't eastern or western. Just who are we? Souls temporarily inhabiting physical bodies, or physical bodies with souls hiding inside us?

I've seen 'born' Hindus who were scum of the Earth: heroin smugglers, adulterers, child molesters, drunkards, and perhaps worse. This stereotyping is getting absurd.

HDF is a sangam for discussion and mutual benefit of all.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
27 July 2011, 07:51 PM
EM that post was so wonderful!

It reminded me of something I read somewhere on Shiridi Sai Baba life...I go find it...BRB:p

"Then they asked Lord Vishnu as to how to save the people from the actions of Kali and Lord Vishnu answered them as follows:
"You all know why Bharata Desha is called Punya Bhoomi. There are a number of places on earth, with heavy snowfalls and cold waves. There are several places where you cannot get water for drinking or proper food. There are other places which are very hot. But only in places like Bharata Desha, there are different seasons. There are also a number of life giving rivers. Therefore, the people are able to raise good crops and are happy. They are able to take bath regularly and conduct divine activities. The Wind-God gives good air. Only those who are lucky and did good in previous births are born in this Punya Bhoomi and enjoy their natural happiness. This is briefly the history of this Punya Bhoomi." Lord Vishnu continued. "Kali came later to our country after showing his effects in other parts of this planet. His effects will be intensified in the near future and then the people of this country also will be subject to a lot of changes."

I would like to think Beloved makes room for us all, in our various sundry locations...with beautiful rivers...and happy family...and enough rice to eat at dinner....and we have baths also...

Beloved made places for each of us, we must have some blessing<3

---I will add link, it's a very wonderful post if anyone is interested:P
http://www.saibaba.org/lhossb/lhossb1.html

charitra
27 July 2011, 09:23 PM
EM and Naya,
i asked the ? out of simple curiosity, considering his knowledge in sanskrit, to me it is a rarity. Dont read too much into this. Namaste.

Eastern Mind
27 July 2011, 09:28 PM
EM and Naya,
i asked the ? out of simple curiosity, considering his knowledge in sanskrit, to me it is a rarity. Dont read too much into this. Namaste.

Vannakkam charitra: Oh don't worry, I was just reacting to all this eastern, western, born, etc. stuff we tend to put in front of Hindu sometimes. (I'm feeling I should change my handle) Yes, Yajvan is a rarity.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
27 July 2011, 09:29 PM
You have my heart as I have read many times how wonderfully kind your are and accepting of all of us. You, are truly a blessing.

I did not reply to your post as much as an overall vibe I get from here from time to time. Have to counterbalance with some Love<3

Adhvagat
29 July 2011, 06:39 AM
Vannakkam Trisilex: Tons of things .... think like a Hindu, walk like a Hindu, talk like a Hindu, act like a Hindu

think like a Hindu ... read philosophy and apply it to daily mind, for example, view yourself as a soul with a body, not a body with a soul, this is living reincarnation.

walk like a Hindu ... stand erect and straight, proceed with confidence, not ego, fully knowing God is within all the time, and nothing can actually go wrong, there are only lessons to be learned from all experiences

talk like a Hindu ... be mellow, polite, tactful, and kind with words, express gentle viewpoints of love, karma, etc

act like a Hindu ... be respectful of nature, practice the yamas and niyamas to the best of your ability, always leave a situation and people you encounter happier than when you (God) arrived.

Aum Namasivaya

Not sure anyone posted, but EM's simplicity in this quoted post takes the prize for me. :)

You can't convert to Hinduism just as you can't convert to sattvic living. It's a process, to deny it with false ideals of conversion is to deny the joys of the very process of becoming it.

shantiseeker
30 July 2011, 08:24 AM
Just echoing what EM said and the following posts. This is very good to hear. I am on my own spiritual journey toward Sanatana Dharma, and I was concerned that I might have to go through a formal conversion, change my name, etc, but it just didn't seem to fit. I have read where other "Western converts" have done so, but it doesn't feel natural to me, and also doesn't seem to go with Hinduism, as it is not like Western religions where one must go through rituals to "prove" things.

AmIHindu
13 August 2011, 12:39 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

praṇām

Vratyastoma is like a certificate and Tandya Brahmana is ceremony, which is described in Rig Veda.