PDA

View Full Version : How much of the Upanishads should you read each time?

UniversalLove
21 July 2011, 03:06 AM
Namaste,

Just as I am seeking into Sanatana Dharma, I purchased a copy of the Upanishads to read and study.

Actually, first of all, should I be reading the Upanishads yet at this point?

If it is suggested that I do, how much should I read each time?

Thank you. :)

devotee
21 July 2011, 05:33 AM
Namaste ILG,

It is not important how much read, it is highly important how much you understand. Upanishads contain the highest knowledge for the mankind & they are not so easy to understand. Mandukya Upanishad has only 12 verses but it make take years to completely understand that Upanishad or may be you never understand it as it challenges you to go beyond your mental realm. The same can be said about Isavasya Upanishad.

I find Quantum Physics easier in comparison. :) So, have patience & keep reading.

OM

Eastern Mind
21 July 2011, 06:48 AM
Vannakkam ILoveGod: Most certainly I agree with Devotee. It is the understanding that counts. But I will take it one step further. After the understanding comes application to daily life. That's really the essential stuff.

Subramuniyaswami's trilogy is an example of this pace for me. There are three long books, each with 365 daily lessons of about 2 pages fairly large font. So each day the idea is to study that particular lesson or idea, and then reflect on it for the day. That's how this works. Total transformation takes years, even lifetimes. Fortunately we have reincarnation!

No hurry, no worry.

Aum Namasivaya

wundermonk
21 July 2011, 07:04 AM
Just as I am seeking into Sanatana Dharma, I purchased a copy of the Upanishads to read and study.

Wow, ILoveGod. From a post which drew a flurry of responses a couple of days ago w.r.t Christianity to this?

I may have come across rough on that thread. But then again, Hinduism and so many other cultures around the world have been decimated by Christianity/Islam. So, Hindus will be wise to have their guard up against the my-way-or-the-highway-to-eternal-hell type of religions and their practitioners.

W.r.t. the Upanishads, I have a slightly different view than possibly other members here. Upanishads are called the Vedanta (the ending of the Vedas). They contain within them all the wisdom of the Vedas. The Upanishads themselves are highly philosophical and heavily commented upon. More importantly, there are seeming contradictions within them.

I suggest a different route that I have found useful. Why dont you supplement your study of the Upanishads along with the simultaneous study of the Brahmasutras? The Brahmasutras are an even more condensed version of the Vedas/Upanishads/Bhagvad Gita, etc.

The reason for suggesting the Brahmasutras is that many acharyas have explained the different Upanishads resolving the seeming contradictions within them. That way, you are less likely to be confused as you study the Upanishads. The most important commentators on the Brahmasutras are Adi Shankara (Advaita), Ramanuja (Visishtadvaita) and Madhav Acharya (Dvaita). It is always good to have a hard copy of the Upanishads and the Brahmasutras. But there are possibly online versions of these commentaries as well.

The Brahmasutras are by no means easy. The meanings of the sutras themselves and their commentary and how the commentary of each acharya fits within the overall philosophy developed by them require a lot of contemplation.

All the best!

UniversalLove
21 July 2011, 07:13 AM
Wow, ILoveGod. From a post which drew a flurry of responses a couple of days ago w.r.t Christianity to this?

I may have come across rough on that thread. But then again, Hinduism and so many other cultures around the world have been decimated by Christianity/Islam. So, Hindus will be wise to have their guard up against the my-way-or-the-highway-to-eternal-hell type of religions and their practitioners.

W.r.t. the Upanishads, I have a slightly different view than possibly other members here. Upanishads are called the Vedanta (the ending of the Vedas). They contain within them all the wisdom of the Vedas. The Upanishads themselves are highly philosophical and heavily commented upon. More importantly, there are seeming contradictions within them.

I suggest a different route that I have found useful. Why dont you supplement your study of the Upanishads along with the simultaneous study of the Brahmasutras? The Brahmasutras are an even more condensed version of the Vedas/Upanishads/Bhagvad Gita, etc.

The reason for suggesting the Brahmasutras is that many acharyas have explained the different Upanishads resolving the seeming contradictions within them. That way, you are less likely to be confused as you study the Upanishads. The most important commentators on the Brahmasutras are Adi Shankara (Advaita), Ramanuja (Visishtadvaita) and Madhav Acharya (Dvaita). It is always good to have a hard copy of the Upanishads and the Brahmasutras. But there are possibly online versions of these commentaries as well.

The Brahmasutras are by no means easy. The meanings of the sutras themselves and their commentary and how the commentary of each acharya fits within the overall philosophy developed by them require a lot of contemplation.

All the best!

Namaste wundermonk,

No problem about the other day, and I totally agree with you. I support Sanatana Dharma keeping itself guarded against the general, overall actions of the more missionary-type religions.

I think I misrepresented myself the other day. I realized that, more than anything else, I am a spiritual seeker. I seek the Divine and to please Him/Her/It, while seeking the many paths to the Divine. And I found that most of my beliefs and interests are in line with Sanatana Dharma, so I am currently searching into it. I seek into different religions and gain inspiration from them, while at the same time, I keep a strong oath to keep them purely as they are without mixing them, and I owe whatever I gain inspiration from to the faiths themselves. I think that is very important.
That's a little bit about me, on that note. :)

Thank you for your knowledge and suggestion. Next time I am at the bookstore, I will look for a copy of the Brahmasutras to assist my study of the Upanishads. :)

Onkara
21 July 2011, 07:20 AM
My advice is to read, the path of JñAna has been the most fruitful for me. However each has his own nature (svabhava) and consequently you may find bhakti brings you closest to the divine.

In 'ease' of reading, my experience is as follows:

1) Puranas, such as Srimad Bhagavatam.
2) Then the Bhagvad Gita, with commentary by the Archayas. Sri Ramanuja is the one I enjoyed the most.
3) Upanishads with commentary of Archyas.
4) Brahmasutras, as Wundermonk prescribes.
5) Agamas, such as Shiva Sutras and Spandakarikas

In additon you have 'prayers', bhajan, japa and other resources to bring you closer.

UniversalLove
21 July 2011, 07:32 AM
Thank you, Onkara. :)
Speaking of Jnana Yoga, I was thinking about the different types of yogas, but I'm sure mine will be revealed in time.

I will probably ask about that in the yoga section.

Thanks again for your advice.

Sahasranama
21 July 2011, 07:33 AM
Vannakkam ILoveGod: Most certainly I agree with Devotee. It is the understanding that counts. But I will take it one step further. After the understanding comes application to daily life. That's really the essential stuff.

Subramuniyaswami's trilogy is an example of this pace for me. There are three long books, each with 365 daily lessons of about 2 pages fairly large font. So each day the idea is to study that particular lesson or idea, and then reflect on it for the day. That's how this works. Total transformation takes years, even lifetimes.Good approach, take it one step at a time.

Fortunately we have reincarnation!

No hurry, no worry.

Aum NamasivayaUnfortunately, human life is very rare. Think about it from an evolutionairy standpoint, how fortunate must you have been to be born in a human body. Hinduism teaches this as well.

bare bhaga manusha tana pava, sura durlabha saba granthanhi gava
All the scriptures say, with great fortune have we attained this human form, which is even hard to get for the gods (like Indra, Varuna, Agni etc) ~ Rama Charita Manasa

Hinduism teaches, do not take your human life for granted, this opportunity may not come again for a very long time.

Ananda
21 July 2011, 07:34 AM
Hello Adam,

The Bhagavad Gita, which I think you say you own/ have read, contains many of the ideas found in the Upanishads but presented in a clearer, more accessible way. Indeed, Krishna even quotes from the Upanishads directly in some cases. The Upanishads are very difficult to get into at first, since they are couched in elaborate ritualistic symbolism and full of metaphorical and obscure references exclusive to the Vedic past whose meanings have been largely lost to us. It's absolutely vital that you read the Upanishads alongside the commentaries of the classical Vedanta teachers, as they provide much of the context for some of the more archaic and nebulous verses. I would recommend that you study the Bhagavad Gita more and become familiar with the central concepts which it reveals, before diving into the Upanishads.

When you do come around to reading the Upanishads, I recommend reading the Isha or Mandukya Upanishad first; as these two are amongst the shortest of the Upanishads, and contain a relatively small amount of obscure references to ancient Vedic symbolism. As for commentaries, I read Shankaracharya's bhasyas, and could not understand the Upanishads without them. Depending on your philosophical leanings, Shankara's commentaries help cement the Advaita doctrine, Ramanuja's the qualified Advaita, and Madhva for the Dvaita school respectively.

Later, much later, you will find it helpful to read the Brahma Sutra, which is a series of aphorisms that set out the doctrine of the Upanishads in a logical, consistent manner. For this, also, you will need one of the great commentaries of Shankara et al; as each commentary makes the strongest case for each respective school of Vedanta teaching.

I spend a few hours each day reading the Upanishads, and more together with the rest of the Vedanta canon ie the Bhagavad Gita and the Brahma Sutras. You will eventually need to have studied all three of the texts (Upanishads, Gitas, and Brahma Sutra) to understand the full import of the Vedanta teaching, as the study of the three texts constitutes the first step (sravana, or 'hearing') on the path to moksha or self-knowledge, and is followed by mental cogitation on the meaning of the import.

For you I recommend that you start slowly and keep the Gita as your main focus, or perhaps read the Isha/Mandukya Upanishads alongside the Gita, and perhaps also the Katha Upanishad, whose imagery and metaphor is quoted by Krishna often in the Gita.

:)

UniversalLove
21 July 2011, 07:43 AM
Unfortunately, human life is very rare.
Hinduism teaches, do not take your human life for granted, this opportunity may not come again for a very long time.

Well-said, I never thought of it like that.

Jainarayan
21 July 2011, 09:44 AM
Namaste,

Sometimes the levee breaks and the flood waters come rushing in. ;)

yajvan
21 July 2011, 11:08 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

A discussion between Śrī Rāma and Hanumān-ji occurs. Śrī Rāma says the māṇḍūkya (frog) upaniṣad's wisdom is enough to bring liberation (kaivalya). Yet if one does not achieve this via this upaniṣad , then an additional 10 must be considered. If not the 10, then the 32 and one then should stop. He then says if desiring mokṣa without the body then read the 108. So , Śrī Rāmaḥ offers us a roadmap.

This post will assist: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4617

praṇām

sunyata07
21 July 2011, 11:24 AM
Namaste,

I am still in the process of reading through other scriptures, but contrary to many of the members' suggestions here I began my scriptural study with the Upanishads. It can be a little bit difficult wrapping your head around some of the symbolism in it, but if you find a good translation along with a reliable author to provide commentary, it isn't impossible to understand (from the perspective of a newcomer).

I agree with the others about taking it slowly. The scriptures should be read over time and so that the individual can reflect on the words written. Definitely not to be completed in one sitting. Not that you could read the Mahabharata in one sitting! ;)

Om namah Shivaya

yajvan
21 July 2011, 11:52 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

What tends to ~trip-up~ people in the śāstra-s ? They are so profund because they address 3 levels of knowledge. Since the mahābhārata was brought up by sunyata07, lets use it as an example.

There are 3 levels one can look at regarding the kurukṣhetra event.

The physical level - this would be the fight of good vs. bad, right and wrong, the big oppressing the small, the strong oppressing the weak. One could say this occurs on the individual, social, national levels and can be seen via the senses.
The mental level - that of thoughts, ideas, tendencies, behaviors, traits, manas or mind, intellect (buddhi), etc. We can even place meditation on this level. The ~battle~ of the senses drawing one into the field of matter vs. inward to calmness, to steadiness towards the direction of the Self.
The spiritual level - this is the level of the devata, yet we as spiritual beings can also be found here as one experiences samādhi, perfect silence, etc. Now we have that tendency for union ( yukti, yoga) with the Supreme, yet the ego may get in the way , or the subtler kośa's¹ or even other impulses of nature that may restrict this ability. So , when we talk of the various symbols of the mahābhārata we're inferring those forces, tendencies, etc. that restrict or divert ( detour) one from their full spiritual experience. Yet the mahābhārata at the same time teaches those social rules and individual rules of proper habit and actions ( dharma).

If you recall or happen to read other posts, we know that knowledge can appear on 3 levels:

ādhibautika आधिभौतिक - the physical level - derived or produced from the elements
ādhidaivika आधिदैविक - the cosmic level pertaining to the devatā
ādhytmika आध्यात्मिक - of the Supreme, SelfThat said, let me offer a humble insight. Reading the śāstra-s does not insure comprehension. What does is complimenting your reading with the expansion of consciousness. Comprehension is structured in consciousness.

praṇām

1. kośa - a term for the 3 ( some call out 5) sheaths or succession of cases which make up the various frames of the body enveloping the soul.

yajvan
21 July 2011, 02:45 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

The upaniṣad-s play a key role in one's understanding... The word in itself gives us its value:
upaniṣad उपनिषद् means 'to sit down near to' . But to whom? It could be to the teacher (ācārya) or guru well versed in the truth (satyam). Another view on this matter is setting (down) and resting ignorance, by revealing the knowledge of the Supreme.
This notion comes from upani-śad. This śad is throw down , slay. And what is one throwing down? Ignorance. And this upani-śad is taken to include upāya - a means of success or strategy.

Yet upaniṣad is also defined as a 'secret doctrine' . But of what ? Of the Truths and essence of the veda-s. So we can apprecite the wisdom of the veda-s via the upaniṣad-s. Still it is of great worth to read the upaniṣad-s with commentaries ( bhāṣā ) offered by the wise, learned, and advanced in the subject matter. Many here on HDF have offered some clues on what to read.

From a personal point of view it has made me a better person.

praṇām

Jainarayan
21 July 2011, 03:18 PM
Namaste sunyata,

Namaste,

I am still in the process of reading through other scriptures, but contrary to many of the members' suggestions here I began my scriptural study with the Upanishads. It can be a little bit difficult wrapping your head around some of the symbolism in it...

I agree with the others about taking it slowly. The scriptures should be read over time and so that the individual can reflect on the words written. Definitely not to be completed in one sitting. Not that you could read the Mahabharata in one sitting! ;)

Om namah Shivaya

I read part of the Upanishads in college. There are indeed some challenging concepts.

I will probably start with the Srimad Bhagavatam, Canto X, I just got. I think that should prepare me for the full Bhagavad Gita. Then it's on to the Ramayana and Mahabharata. The Upanishads are for later.

Kumar_Das
27 September 2011, 02:00 PM

Tell me more.

Spiritualseeker
27 September 2011, 02:15 PM
Namaste,

I really enjoy reading a little at a time and contemplating the verses. Some of the verses could be used as a meditation itself. What do the words really point too? It is very enjoyable to contemplate these things. Upanishads contain such wisdom.

yajvan
27 September 2011, 02:21 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

One must consider that the brahma sūtra-s clarify the wisdom, words and notions that are found in the upaniṣad-s. Of key import only 13 upaniṣad-s are suggested in the brahma sūtra-s. Why so ? IMHO these core 13 upaniṣad-s are sufficent to offer the clarification of brahma.

Well what about all the other upaniṣad-s ? What then ? What do we do with them ? This post may be of service : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4617

praṇām

Daniellasaur
11 October 2011, 04:24 PM
I love my copy of The Upanishads translated by Swami Prabhavananda and Frederik Manchester. Although I know they took much liberty in both the selection and translation of the texts, it is incredibly readable. It is a small but mighty book that I recommend to everyone here!

mediator
12 October 2011, 05:06 AM
It doesn't matter on how much you should read. You can read all the Upanishads in one day if you like. But Gitopanishad a.k.a Bhagvad-Gita is the closest summary of the Vedas. Translations by Sri Aurobindo are my personal favorite and translations given in the site : www.bhagavad-gita.org/

The important thing to remember is the Upanishads like Kenopanishad expound the ultimate reality in the context of "that" and Gita through "I/Me". :)

Brahmanyan
26 November 2011, 01:05 AM
Upanishads expounds the philosophical principles of Vedas thus called Vedanta (end of vedas). Upanishads are to be learnt under the feet of a learnered Acharya or Guru. In modern days this may be difficult. So next best alternative is, if facilities and time are available we must listen to Upanishad lectures by Acharyas, apart from reading Upanishadic texts.
Spending time in Ashrams where some acharyas would take lectures on Upanishads periodically will help a lot in understanding Upanishads.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Jaishankar
02 December 2011, 05:54 PM
Pranams to all!

As it has been previously stated Upanishads are the essence of Vedas, Puranas are essence of Upanishads and Gita is essence of Puranas, i.e. Gita is essence of Vedas. The transference of knowledge (Vedas to Gita) corresponds with the progression of yugas.

Vedas - Satyug
Upanishads - Tretayug
Puranas - Dvaparayug
Gita - Kaliyug

(It is also declared that Tantras are the essence of Vedas in Kaliyug)

Personally I have been taught that Gita is the ONLY text prescribed for non-initiate practitioners of Yoga and Sanatana Dharma. Without diksha (initiation) into the path and guidance from Sadguru one should not attempt knowledge beyond Gita, which in itself is a liberating base of knowledge and renders further study redundant.

Guru initiation is often misunderstood in the western world. Its not simply the taking on of a teacher. Guru Diksha is the transmission of higher energy flow from Guru to Shishya and the removal of passed sanskars (impressions) from the subtle consciousness of the Shishya. So long as the sanskars remain in the individual being, passed karmas and other impressions influence the mind of the sadhaka and render one incapable of true comprehension. Gita is specifically designed to enhance knowledge despite the presence of sanskars. Gita in particular is a holy ignorance destroying weapon. Its like this, if your intention is to dig a hole you can use your hands, you can use a shovel. You can dig a hole with your hands... but it will take far longer than using the shovel. Gita is like the shovel to your simple stength of will. If Gita is a shovel then Upanishads is like a backhoe! However, a backhoe is useless if you don't know how to operate it, and Guru is the instruction manual.

I'm not saying that the average person shouldn't go read the Upanishads
or the Vedas for that matter. I do believe however that the best means to achieve anything is the simplest and most effective means, effectivity is determined by the tools at ones disposal. The mental faculties (manas/buddhi) is steeped in delusion because it is a product of maya (tattva). Only chitta is beyond maya and one comes to experience the chitta quality inherent in all, via the culmination of Gyana, Bhakti and Karma yogas that is expressed in the Guru Shishya bond.

So I'm not saying you should not study the Upanishads. It's my opinion that your personal experience may simply be more productive if you're armed with a more fitting tool, like Sri Bhagavad Gita.

In seva,
Ganesh Jaishankar