PDA

View Full Version : How should I understand the teaching of many different ways to the Divine?

UniversalLove
21 July 2011, 07:39 AM
Namaste,

I am just wondering. I have heard that Hinduism teaches that there are many ways to God. If Hinduism truly teaches this, how should I understand this teaching?

Thank you. :)

Sahasranama
21 July 2011, 08:50 AM
It may look like there are many ways to God, but this is not what Hinduism teaches. The vedas are very explicit, tameva viditva amritamiha bhavati, nanya pantha vidyate ayanaya, there is no other path to immortality other than knowing that. The vedas also excplicitely state not to take a certain path, maitam pantha anugata bhisha esha, do not take this path, because it is horrible/frightening. Therefore it is clear that not all paths lead to the same goal. Krishna also clearly states in the Bhagavad Gita that people will reach that destination they are striving towards, that also makes it clear that not all paths lead to the same goal. The one fourth of a mantra that is often misinterpretated is ekam sad vipra bahudha vadanti, there is one truth that the rishis have spoken of in many names, here there is no mention of paths (pantha), the reason being that it is an ontological statement, not a soteriological.

It is a very attractive idea for people of other religions to think that Hindus believe that everyone's religion leads to the same goal. This way they don't have to confront the sheer awesomeness of Hinduism and the stupidity of their own religion. There must be a reason why so many Christians visit Hindu forums, in their guts they know that Hinduism rocks, but they don't have the heart to admit it yet. It is evident that people who move towards the teachings of Hinduism through yoga and mediation for example and away from the teachings of Christianity and Islam become better people. This proves the superiority of Hinduism, not just in terms of enlightenment, but also for people's social and personal lives.

UniversalLove
21 July 2011, 08:54 AM
It may look like there are many ways to God, but this is not what Hinduism teaches. The vedas are very explicit, tameva viditva amritamiha bhavati, nanya pantha vidyate ayanaya, there is no other path to immortality other than knowing that. The vedas also excplicitely state not to take a certain path, maitam pantha anugata bhisha esha, do not take this path, because it is horrible/frightening. Therefore it is clear that not all paths lead to the same goal. Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita also clearly states in the Bhagavad Gita that people will reach that destination they are striving towards, that also makes it clear that not all paths lead to the same goal. The one fourth of a mantra that is often misinterpretated is ekam sad vipra bahudha vadanti, here there is no mention paths (pantha), the reason being that it is an ontological statement, not a soteriological.

It is a very attractive idea for people of other religions to think that Hindus believe that everyone religion leads to the same goal. This way they don't have to confront the sheer awesomeness of Hinduism and the stupidity of their own religion. It is evident that people who move towards the teachings of Hinduism through yoga and mediation for example and away from the teachings of Christianity and Islam become better people. This proves the superiority of Hinduism.

Thank you, Sahasranama, but I don't understand what those passages from the Vedas mean in English.
Could you please provide those?

Sahasranama
21 July 2011, 09:02 AM
The English translations are posted right after the sanskrit passages. I will make them italic to make it clearer.

I have edited the post, maybe you can edit the quote as well.

UniversalLove
21 July 2011, 09:12 AM
maybe you can edit the quote as well.

Edit the quote?

Sahasranama
21 July 2011, 09:13 AM
yes :)

UniversalLove
21 July 2011, 09:15 AM
yes :)

Ok, but the italics you provided talk about those passages; they aren't the passages themselves.

And I don't understand, why would I edit a quote from someone or something else?

Sahasranama
21 July 2011, 09:16 AM
Never mind, what I meant was you could update your quote. I have made the Sanskrit bold and the translation italic.

UniversalLove
21 July 2011, 09:18 AM
Never mind, what I meant was you could update your quote. I have made the Sanskrit bold and the translation italic.

Okay..

WTyler
21 July 2011, 12:40 PM
Brother,

There are in fact numerous interpretations on the divine found with in the wonderful Dharma.

Some people may look at the ocean that is Brahman and look at the waves that are Atman (God in us) and say they are completely different--they are two totally separate entities. (Dualism, Dvaita)

There are some that will look at the ocean and the waves and say that there are no differences between them whatsoever, they are the same. (Non Dualism, Advaita)

Then there are some that will say that the ocean and the waves are different entities but at the end of the day it's still made up of the same properties--water. (Vishishtadvaita, qualified non dualism).

Granted these are overly simplified explanations, and forgive me for not speaking in exact accuracies. Though, my point is this-- Even on the path that is Sanatana Dharma, there are many paths as well.

Most people find God in the form of Bhakti, Jnana, Karma and Raja yogas.

Of course you may find yourself drawn more to one yoga, you should try to combine a few of these to be well balanced.

Bhakti is love and devotion of the form of God that you are drawn to.

(Shiv, Krishna, Durga, or Vishnu and so forth)

Sing their praises (bhajan), chant their names (japa), study them, worship them in puja, establish a personal relationship with them.

The next Jnana--knowledge introspection and contemplation. Study the scriptures, do self inquiry given to us by the great sage Ramana Maharshi. Familiarize yourself with the vast philosophies found in the Dharma.

Then there is Karma Yoga, yoga of selfless service. Remembering God in all of our actions as well as serving others. Lifting our fruits up to God rather than taking too much pride in the result.

And then Raja yoga, or meditation. So meditate! Watch your thoughts, bring your awareness to the third eye--there are many great meditations out there for you.

You should mix these to an extent. I feel as if Karma Yoga and Bhakti Yoga go hand in hand--once you see God in all beings it is only natural for you to want to serve those beings just as you'd serve God.

I also feel as if meditation and knowledge of the scriptures are essential to being Hindu which are found in the Jnana and Raja yoga paths.

So whatever your personality type is--more passionate, more intellectual, more meditative--choose what works best for you, Brother.

There were sages like Ramana Maharshi that followed the path of Jnana and found God through self study and studying Brahman/Atman.

Then there were sages like Chaitanya that found God through Bhakti, Kirtana, and singing to Lord Krishna.

Each person will be drawn to their own path upon the main path of the Dharma. ;)

So how should you understand them?

Understand them, how you will understand them! haha.

Find a translation of the Gita that resonates with you the most, start there, Brother.

Find a simple mantra that one is allowed to chant with out a Guru and do Japa.

Also find bhajans and stories on your favorite form of God and enjoy them.

Founder of ISKCON, Srila Prabuphada said that the purpose of life..is to enjoy.

So enjoy! Enjoy the paths and the translations that resonate within you.

Likewise the great sage and Guru of yogis such as Ram Das and Krishna Das, Neem Karoli Baba famously conversed:

Devotee: Maharaji, how do I find God?
Baba: Serve People.
Devotee: No Maharaji, how do I see God?
Baba: Feed people.
Devotee: How do I come to know Go..
Baba: Help people.

Welcome to the Ocean of Dharma. Don't be afraid of wading in the shallow end to know your strengths before diving into the deep side.

Hare Om, Brother.

Good luck on your journey!

-Tyler

R Gitananda
03 September 2011, 11:12 PM
Namaste

There are many ways but they are not all equal; they have different qualities associated with them.

Aum Shanti

Namaste,

I am just wondering. I have heard that Hinduism teaches that there are many ways to God. If Hinduism truly teaches this, how should I understand this teaching?

Thank you. :)