PDA

View Full Version : Feminism & Hinduism, Part 2

Sahasranama
23 July 2011, 08:49 AM
http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7323

This threat was closed, because some obnoxious posts, but I found some interesting verses from the Laxmi Tantra, an important pancharatric vaishnava text.

The following are a selection of verses from the Lakshmi Tantra (Chapter 43. 61- 72) on the subject of women and their status in the Pancharatra Tradition, how far it conforms to the prevailing attitude in society is a matter of serious concern:
- A man of piety free from sin, consistently adhering to the precepts of the sacred Scriptures, performs those deeds that are not condemned by women and that please them.
- A yogi should never abuse a woman, either in deed, speech or thought. Wherever I (Lakshmi ) am, the realities are, wherever I am the gods too are.
- Wherever I (Lakshmi ) exist , merits too exist, wherever I dwell Krishna too dwells. I am the womanhood pervading the entire universe and inherent in all women .
- He who abuses women, abuses Lakshmi herself, He who abuses Lakshmi abuses the entire three worlds.
- He who bears ill-will against any woman, is ill-disposed towards Lakshmi herself. He who is illdisposed towards Lakshmi is ill-disposed towards the entire universe.
- He whose heart is gladdened by the sight of women - like moonlight, and who never entertains evil thoughts about them, he is most dear to me (Lakshmi).
- Just as there is no sin whatsoever in Narayana or myself O Indra, neither in a cow, a brahmin nor a scholar of Vedanta. In the same manner no inauspiciousness whatsoever exists in women O Indra.
- Just as the Ganga and Sarasvati (rivers) are free of impurity & evil.
As also the Aruna river, so too are all women revered as being sinless. - The fact that I, the Mother of the three Worlds, am the basis of womanhood, makes my power manifest in women. Thus a woman
is the mother of the three worlds, a goddess full of abundance.
- Knowing women as my direct manifestation, how can a yogi refrain from revering them? One should never hurt women, and should never even think of wronging women.
- A yogi who wishes to attain the fulfilment of yoga, should always act to please women. He should regard all women as mothers, as goddesses as my very self.
Ref: Lakshmi Tantra Chap 43, page 78 - 80

TatTvamAsi
04 August 2011, 12:32 PM
Namaste,

Great to hear of specific examples of adulation of the feminine principle in our Scripture!

The only question I have is what constitutes a "woman"? The common (western) definition of a "woman" is a merely physical one; a female. They cannot capture the fact that not every female is a woman and not every male is a man.

A woman is an embodiment of certain attributes and characteristics; physical, emotional, intellectual, and mental. That is what makes someone really "human". What these attributes and characteristics are vary with cultures, times, and societal maturity. In India a woman is revered as mother; one who has given herself selflessly to others with heart, body, and mind. Such a woman, like Kannagi, is one who is worthy of worship.

In fact, if one defines womanhood by her physical characteristics alone, then THEY are the sexists! I would love to see feminists answer that one! ;)

The same relationship can be used for HOUSE and HOME. One can NEVER buy a "home". One buys a house and makes it THEIR home! ;) Nuance, hehe..

Woman:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Lb7wWaGboOw/TT6SfkImHCI/AAAAAAAACyg/x_QMmUrtNGE/s1600/anushka_chennai_silk_saree_ad_pics_03.jpg

rainycity
30 August 2011, 07:10 AM
- Just as there is no sin whatsoever in Narayana or myself O Indra, neither in a cow, a brahmin nor a scholar of Vedanta. In the same manner no inauspiciousness whatsoever exists in women O Indra.
Ref: Lakshmi Tantra Chap 43, page 78 - 80

But there is sin in brahmins, scholars of Vedanta, and women. All of them. The assertion that there isn't is ludicrous.