PDA

View Full Version : Hello-seeking excitedly

shantiseeker
24 July 2011, 04:31 PM
I am a good 'ol "Westerner" lady from the USA, seeking to learn about Hinduism which is why I am here. To no surprise-Christianity is the most known religion, one I was baptized into of sorts, but not raised-however attended a few different Christian churches for a while. I have never felt even a remote connection to God, the Divine, Supreme Being while in a Christian house of worship. I am glad for people that have, but it does not work for me.
I just started yoga not too long ago, which has introduced me to Hinduism naturally, and I am drawn to it, and it must be for good reason, as being drawn spiritually has been a struggle my entire life. I have had more than a passing interest in the chakras, and I began to immerse myself in chakra work and then to yoga, and refreshingly, I am in motion now. This seems like a wonderful forum to learn and seek. I look forward to gentle education.

sankar
24 July 2011, 09:26 PM
very interesting story, Shanti
Welcome to the forums .....

Eastern Mind
24 July 2011, 09:32 PM
Vannakkam Shantiseeker: Nice name you have there. Welcome to the forums and I pray your stay here is fruitful to finding the peace you seek.

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
24 July 2011, 11:08 PM
Namaste Shantiseeker,

Welcome to HDF. It's great that yoga has drawn you to Hinduism, especially since a lot of ignorant people try to separate yoga from Hinduism...But I digress. It's good to have you here :)

Jai Sri Ram

Onkara
25 July 2011, 04:17 AM
Welcome to you Shantiseeker!

Mana
25 July 2011, 04:29 AM
Welcome shantiseeker.

So nice that your instincts brought you here :)

Mana

sunyata07
25 July 2011, 10:41 AM
Welcome to the forums, Shantiseeker,

I hope you find the peace you are looking for here. :)

Om namah Shivaya

Friend from the West
01 August 2011, 08:53 PM
Namaste,
Welcome Shantiseeker. As a Westerner as well, what compares to namaste or Om shanti, shanti, shanti? So much to be discovered and recognized or as said in a recent post, re-recognized.
Take care.

shantiseeker
01 August 2011, 09:36 PM
Thank you all! I will reply to each. I had introduced myself, and begging my pardon, forgot that it might be replied to here!

AmIHindu
01 August 2011, 09:45 PM
Namaste,

I like your id. I am also looking for Shanti, lets hope we find her.

shantiseeker
01 August 2011, 09:50 PM
Namaste Shantiseeker,

Welcome to HDF. It's great that yoga has drawn you to Hinduism, especially since a lot of ignorant people try to separate yoga from Hinduism...But I digress. It's good to have you here :)

Jai Sri Ram

How interesting that people don't see the obvious relation between yoga and Hinduism. I suppose here in the US, it depends on where one attends yoga classes. By yoga I am referring to Hatha-which you probably figured. Now, a class at a fitness center may not be as spiritually focused, on more like a gentle exercise or pilates class. A studio however with a spiritual focus will show otherwise, like where I go. Considering that we open with three OMs , and close with three followed by chanting shanti three times and then Lokah Samasta Sukinho Bhavantu (my spelling may be off on that one:D ), well, I quickly learned we're saying sanskrit. And my instructor mentioned Kali energy. Not to mention the curtains by one shelf is the OM symbol all over it. We do the asanas to some modern songs, but also to many chants too. My instructor comes from a Christian background and I think is Christian, yet talks of the Divine-so she is very different, and again, Hinduism is abound in there-I wouldn't have picked up on it otherwise. She believes the Divine is there for all and that all have potential to hear. So a very different Christian if you ask me, as she hardly preaches Christianity to us, but more holistic. Enough that it brings me to Hinduism and not "back to" Christianity. How about that??

shantiseeker
01 August 2011, 09:53 PM
Vannakkam Shantiseeker: Nice name you have there. Welcome to the forums and I pray your stay here is fruitful to finding the peace you seek.

Aum Namasivaya

Yes, peace I seek, which will calm an anxious soul so that I may be a blessing to my family and others. I do so in my work, but I still seek the complete picture. Thank you.

shantiseeker
01 August 2011, 09:54 PM
very interesting story, Shanti
Welcome to the forums .....

glad it was an interesting read. it was most condensed, and more of it will show as I post in other threads.

shantiseeker
01 August 2011, 09:54 PM
Welcome to you Shantiseeker!

THANK YOU :)

shantiseeker
01 August 2011, 09:55 PM
Welcome to the forums, Shantiseeker,

I hope you find the peace you are looking for here. :)

Om namah Shivaya

Thank you much!! Me too, and I hope it brings blessings to others.

shantiseeker
01 August 2011, 09:56 PM
Welcome shantiseeker.

So nice that your instincts brought you here :)

Mana

Exactly. No coincidence!!

shantiseeker
01 August 2011, 10:00 PM
Namaste,
Welcome Shantiseeker. As a Westerner as well, what compares to namaste or Om shanti, shanti, shanti? So much to be discovered and recognized or as said in a recent post, re-recognized.
Take care.

That is SO true. and my answer: NOTHING!! And I say OM Shanti Shanti Shanti at yoga every week. And my goodness-way much to be discovered. I know that there is so much I don't know yet! Like what scriptures I ought to start with. (The Gita?)

shantiseeker
01 August 2011, 10:01 PM
Namaste,

I like your id. I am also looking for Shanti, lets hope we find her.

Why thank you!!
And yes, I sure do seek Shanti. And as I find Shanti, I seek to maintain and grow that Shanti.

Ramakrishna
01 August 2011, 11:59 PM
Namaste Shantiseeker,

How interesting that people don't see the obvious relation between yoga and Hinduism. I suppose here in the US, it depends on where one attends yoga classes. By yoga I am referring to Hatha-which you probably figured. Now, a class at a fitness center may not be as spiritually focused, on more like a gentle exercise or pilates class. A studio however with a spiritual focus will show otherwise, like where I go. Considering that we open with three OMs , and close with three followed by chanting shanti three times and then Lokah Samasta Sukinho Bhavantu (my spelling may be off on that one:D ), well, I quickly learned we're saying sanskrit. And my instructor mentioned Kali energy. Not to mention the curtains by one shelf is the OM symbol all over it. We do the asanas to some modern songs, but also to many chants too. My instructor comes from a Christian background and I think is Christian, yet talks of the Divine-so she is very different, and again, Hinduism is abound in there-I wouldn't have picked up on it otherwise. She believes the Divine is there for all and that all have potential to hear. So a very different Christian if you ask me, as she hardly preaches Christianity to us, but more holistic. Enough that it brings me to Hinduism and not "back to" Christianity. How about that??

Yeah, a very different type of Christian indeed. Generally from what I've gathered, yoga classes in the West typically fit into one of three types. One is a purely Hindu yoga that strongly emphasizes the connection of Hinduism and yoga and is generally very Hindu-oriented. Another type is king of New Agey and it brings some Hindu elements into it while sort of making up other "spiritual" things and connecting them to yoga. The last type is one that completely separates Hinduism from yoga and claims that there is no relation whatsoever.

It is really only the last type that myself and other Hindus tend to strongly object. If somebody practices yoga, they should at least give credit to its roots. Of course I don't expect everybody who does yoga to go become a Hindu, but everybody should at least lend credence to where yoga came from and be intellectually honest. It comes out as if some want to absorb yoga into their lifestyle while rejecting the "Hinduness" of it, and that's not right.

Interestingly, some Christian leaders have even begun speaking out against yoga and urging Christians not to practice it since it comes from a "false religion" and is not a proper Christian spiritual practice. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/southern-baptist-leader-on-yoga-not-christianity/
There is definitely a line between those who Westerners who practice yoga for the physical benefits and those who do it for spiritual benefits as well. Certainly I think it's even worse but kind of laughable when some people try to Christianize yoga and continue to claim that it's not associated with Hinduism.

Jai Sri Ram

shantiseeker
02 August 2011, 08:26 AM
Namaste Shantiseeker,

Yeah, a very different type of Christian indeed. Generally from what I've gathered, yoga classes in the West typically fit into one of three types. One is a purely Hindu yoga that strongly emphasizes the connection of Hinduism and yoga and is generally very Hindu-oriented. Another type is king of New Agey and it brings some Hindu elements into it while sort of making up other "spiritual" things and connecting them to yoga. The last type is one that completely separates Hinduism from yoga and claims that there is no relation whatsoever.

It is really only the last type that myself and other Hindus tend to strongly object. If somebody practices yoga, they should at least give credit to its roots. Of course I don't expect everybody who does yoga to go become a Hindu, but everybody should at least lend credence to where yoga came from and be intellectually honest. It comes out as if some want to absorb yoga into their lifestyle while rejecting the "Hinduness" of it, and that's not right.

Interestingly, some Christian leaders have even begun speaking out against yoga and urging Christians not to practice it since it comes from a "false religion" and is not a proper Christian spiritual practice. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/southern-baptist-leader-on-yoga-not-christianity/
There is definitely a line between those who Westerners who practice yoga for the physical benefits and those who do it for spiritual benefits as well. Certainly I think it's even worse but kind of laughable when some people try to Christianize yoga and continue to claim that it's not associated with Hinduism.

Jai Sri Ram

I so totally concur-your description of yoga class categories here in the US are precisely what I was getting at. Sure, it's healthy to do yoga, so I don't begrudge people for that who go to "contemporary" fitness center held classes, but they really miss the point also, and indeed-the Hinduism roots ought to be acknowledged, and the person is free to reject further examination of the Hindu aspect of course. I don't see how hatha yoga is done without the description of the spiritual element of it anyway. And this is why going to a studio like the one I go to is great. The anatomy is explained as well, while the spiritual side of letting energy exit out of your body, noticing your connection to earth, just the usage of the word Divine to show respect and proper acknowledgement to the spiritual side, and the sanskrit chants. My yoga instructor also recently attended a week long Kirtan conference and practiced bhakti yoga, so as I said, she is beyond an exception.
And oh yes-I've sure read some of the fundamentalist Christian responses to yoga. One said it is a "pagan" practice at best! Give me a break! What ignorance:rolleyes:, or the one quote that says it will lead to an "occult direction consciousness. Yeah, right-I'm embracing love and doing goodness for others and seeking to be a better wife and mother, and overall person while wanting a connection to God-my, my, how "awful" of me. A closed mindset and spewing condemnation is more my idea of what a cult is! Check out this link which is where I cited the pagan and occult thing from and see what else is said!: http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/yoga.htm
Even when I was a "Christian", fundamentalist Christians then drove me up a wall. Heck, my version of Christianity was "wrong" to them. And there are some mainline Protestant churches I've heard have held yoga classes and the Fundamentalists had things to say about that. Now whether the churches with the classes had any of the Hinduism element to it, who knows and to try to Christianize it I agree, is a form of hijacking, but I guess if it brings them toward love, being that they're going to remain Christian anyway, let them be better people.
What do you think of this article? http://www.washingtonbanglaradio.com/content/111571510-yoga-offered-many-christian-churches-usa