PDA

View Full Version : The Ideal Christian...

yajvan
27 July 2011, 12:25 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words ... St. Francis

This would ,IMHO, be the ideal path for the Christian to follow.

praṇām

Beano
19 November 2011, 03:42 PM
not far from where I live is the site of one of the amphitheatres built by the Romans, where people accused of being 'followers' of jesus of nazareth were
offered to hungry wild animals, to be eaten, or tortured in other ways, for entertainment. This was long before the written religious teaching of the early organized church was available to anyone to read, even if anyone had been able to read it and the number of people who could read, was very, very small.
Those followers who were prepared to die rather than renounce jesus, may have resembled modern day adherents of the various organised religious institutions in no way whatsoever.
My own intuitive feeling is that they were deeply moved by the spirit and reality of jesus's 'loving' - which must have been absolutely mind blowing to people used to the hideous cruelties, brutality and slavery of their day. The man who was gentle and kind to those people who were least respected in their society,the man whose love was always on offer for everyone, no matter who they were.
Can you imagine how the woman might have felt who was about to be stoned to death as a lowly, and hated reject of her society, when jesus spoke up for her, and defended her, against the cruelty, placing his own life in danger? That love he gave had the force of spirit, of the divine. Anyone who sees it, and understands 'love', is sure to be moved to love in the same way. It has never been about dogma and organised religon, but about the phenomenal discovery, of divine love itself. Given and witnessed in each soul from those times to today.
I do not believe that this divine love is exclusive to jesus, it exists in many forms and many paths, it reveals the nature of god wherever it occurs.

jaggin
22 November 2011, 07:40 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words ... St. Francis

This would ,IMHO, be the ideal path for the Christian to follow.

praṇām

Some things like life after death are difficult to demonstrate. Jesus did but now we are pretty much left to tell about it.

Jainarayan
22 November 2011, 09:30 AM
I disagree with St. Francis. It is the words that have caused problems in Christianity. Jesus said to let your light shine forth, be an example. Actions speak louder than words. The message was one of example.

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16

15 “Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? 17 So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 So then, you will know them by their fruits. Matthew 7:15-20

This verse “Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves." can easily be applied to missionaries.

Moonlight
22 November 2011, 02:34 PM
They are pose to be an inner peace religion plus haven cool powers. They don't exsist anymore though.

The new age Christains don't even follow the teachings of Jesus

Sins:

1: Self defence 
Matt: 5:38,39
Matt: 5:43,44
(never fight back)

2: Material wealth
Matt: 6:19. Matt: 19:16 Matt: 6:24
Matt: 19:24. Luke: 14:33.
(no earthly material of any kind)  

3: Sexual attraction
Matt: 5:27.
(no looking at hot girls/guys)

4: Religious activity rewarded by people
Matt: 6:16. Matt: 6:1. Matt: 6:5.
(everything must be done in secret) *god is personal*

5: Failure to be completely humble
Matt: 5:40
(give everything you have and asept everything that happens to you)

They don't judge: 

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." - Matthew 7:1-2

They follow what was once called Tao (the way) and has the same concept of Tao Te Ching

Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. (Matthew 6:31-34 KJV) 

Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you. (Luke 17:21 KJV)

They also understood that we are not our bodys and that our bodys will never please god:

To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. . . those who are in the flesh cannot please God. [Romans 8:6-8]

If you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you will live. [Romans 8:13]

While we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. [2 Corinthians 5.6]

Walk by the Spirit, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh; for these are opposed to each other. [Galatians 5.16-17]

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts. [Galatians 5.24]

The body is not meant for immorality, but for the Lord. 1 Corinthians 6:13

Put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires. [Romans 13.14]

Ye are the temple of God Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the spirit of God dwelleth within you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are. [1 Corinthians 3.16-17]

Know ye not that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? . . So glorify God in your body. [1 Corinthians 6.19]

But you are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if so be that the spirit of God dwell in you. [Romans 8.9]

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. [Galatians 2.20.]

My fav quotes:

Jesus said, "I am in all things; yet I am beyond all things. Not through seeking will you find me, but through peace of mind.” book of Thomas

Do you not realize that Jesus Christ is in you? [2 Corinthians, 13.5]
-----------------------------------

Till this day, the only ones who follow this inner peace religion are Gnostics,Essences,spiritual people,Quakers etc.

With the new age christianly, they only teach fearful things and demonize everything that triggers there egos.

UniversalLove
23 November 2011, 08:40 AM
I agree with what yajvan and TouchedByTheLord said, thus also agreeing with St. Francis. I think the Christian path truly is all about action -- action in the sense of being an example of a sincerely kind and loving person.

But it seems that whenever a Christian who upholds such values comes, he or she is usually accused (or thought) of having alterior motives, namely to convert.

I am aware that that does happen. But whenever something bad happens involving an "Abrahamic", such as the events that have occured on that Judeo-Christian Hindu Assembly site (which I also feel really bad about and find sickening), it almost seems like all "Abrahamics" get blamed for it. As if being a Christian or "Abrahamic" is inherently evil.

I have seen a lot of comments online, including on HDF, suggesting that being a Christian or Muslim means someone is deceitful ("having an agenda"), immoral, arrogant, a terrorist, etc.

How is this any more right than what certain people of those affiliations have done to Hindus?

I am aware of what's generally going on in India and the persecution against Hindus in general. And, from the bottom of my heart, I am very sorry, and I would support you in any way.

The bottom line is this: Just because I'm Christian doesn't mean I want to convert you. I truly do value morality, humility, kindness, righteousness, and peace. I enjoy meeting new friends of all diverse backgrounds, and I respect everyone's spiritual beliefs.

And, most importantly, like you, I also love the Divine.