PDA

View Full Version : New Scriptures

Rudy
27 July 2011, 02:28 PM
Does any one know if say a modern day saint (I wont qualify what a saint is) can write new scriptures (I'm guessing yes but they wont be considered scriptures now, but the would they ever be considered scriptures?).

Eastern Mind
27 July 2011, 02:50 PM
Vannakkam: Most followers of particular Gurus would personally consider their original writings (not interpretations or commentaries) as scripture. But that doesn't mean everyone would. Although much is scripture in the vastness of SD, not all people see all writings as scripture, and certainly various sects would differ on degrees of importance. For example, the Saiva Agamas wouldn't be thought of as that important to Vaishnavas, yet Vaishnavas would see them as SD scripture.

Aum Namasivaya

TatTvamAsi
27 July 2011, 06:25 PM
Does any one know if say a modern day saint (I wont qualify what a saint is) can write new scriptures (I'm guessing yes but they wont be considered scriptures now, but the would they ever be considered scriptures?).

Scripture cannot be "written". They are classified as two separate categories; Sruti and Smriti. The former meaning "that which is heard" and the latter "that which is remembered".

Sruti is considered authoritative when compared with Smriti and they were heard by the Rishis of ancient India in their enlightened states of consciousness (samAdhI).

Many modern sages of India, like Ramana Maharishi, have affirmed the content of the Veda (Scripture) through their own personal experience of enlightenment. Sri Ramana's thoughts are captured in many books you can buy even today.

Nobody writes or can write "Scripture". Scripture is the Veda, the very breath of Brahman and considered apaurusheya-tattvam; philosophy/principle of non-human origin.

yajvan
27 July 2011, 09:11 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

A modern adept / realized being may ~see~ or hear various parts ( or whole ) of the ved, āgama-s, etc. in their prestine awareness. They then could communite this to others. These beings never claim authorship as the truth is infinite and not time bound.

praṇām

Rudy
28 July 2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the info.
That makes sense EM.

sanjaya
29 July 2011, 04:31 PM

I'll leave the technical answers to the more well-informed posters. But for what it's worth, Sai Baba (not the controversial one) has a book called the Sri Sai Satcharita written about him by a devotee after his death. Apparently the author was charged with the duty by Baba shortly after his death. Sai Baba lived in the nineteenth century, which more or less qualifies as modern.