PDA

View Full Version : Śatapatha Brāhmaṇa questions

Arjuni
04 August 2011, 05:41 PM
Namasté, all,

I've read some parts of the Śatapatha Brāhmaṇa online at the Sacred Texts archive; their text was translated by one Julius Eggeling in the late 19th century, and the introduction explains that this is the only complete translation available. Do they mean the only complete translation extant online/in the public domain, or is this indeed the one English translation available anywhere?

Also, are there any good books - either discussing the text, excerpting it, or both - that anyone might recommend?

I'm very grateful that this text is provided on the Internet, but always prefer to read things offline, and would love to have a printed book on the subject (and/or with parts of the text). Any help would be much appreciated...

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

yajvan
08 August 2011, 03:36 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté
śatapatha शतपथ having a hundred (numerous) paths , many-sided.

We find much wisdom in this brāhmaṇa. I am always looking for a great translation with transliteration. My jyotish teacher often referred to this knowledge. As of late I have not found one that meets my needs, but use this as a reference:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbr/sbe12/sbe1203.htm

praṇām

Arjuni
19 August 2011, 12:35 AM
Namasté,

Yajvan, thank you for the direct link to add to my bookmarks. While a non-jyotiṣa, I can well imagine how much this text would aid in a true understanding of astrological phenomena.

The name's translation is so true; the brāhmaṇa is delightful, not only for its wisdom, but for its questing and questioning of diverse practices - for the "hundred paths" (and more) laid out before the worshipper. It subtly guides the student to dig ever deeper, to explore even the tiniest nuances of tale and rite for greater universal significance, to accept nothing by rote or repute. Truly masterful.

While I doubt you have the time to undertake a "great translation with transliteration," I will stand first in line for a copy should you ever produce one. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

anamaya
15 February 2012, 09:00 AM
Namaste,

You can find full text with English translation of Satapata Barahmana in the following book available with Motilal Banarasidas.

Kanva Sathapatha Brahmanam (Five volumes)
Complete text with translation in Engish
By C.R.Swaminathan,
Published by Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts, New Delhi & Motilal Banarsidass Publishers Pvt Ltd. New Delhi.

Sri C.R.Swaminathan, an famous scholar, has done lot of research of various literature for writing this book.

I hope this will be useful reference.