PDA

View Full Version : Shravan - Shiva's Month?

Divine Kala
08 August 2011, 03:37 AM
I have been told that we are currently in Shravan and that it is holy to Shiva. As I worship him is there anything that I should be doing during this month?

anirvan
08 August 2011, 04:17 AM
Hi Dk, shravan is famously called sawan in india,its very very sacred month to saivities.particularly mondays are very auspicious and you can keep vrats according to the instruction to a priest in any siva temple there,mondays there are some specific tpes of offering at the temple,it may be flowers or milk or other things as asked by the priest.

Divine Kala
08 August 2011, 06:57 AM
My nearest Shiva temple is over two hours away. There are two Murugan temples within half an hour of me (one's within ten minutes), should I go to them?

Eastern Mind
08 August 2011, 07:39 AM
My nearest Shiva temple is over two hours away. There are two Murugan temples within half an hour of me (one's within ten minutes), should I go to them?

Vannakkam DK: Wow, I wish I were you. My nearest Murugan temple is like 1000 kilometres away. Fortunately there is a nice Murugan shrine here in the local temple. The Murugan temples will most certainly have Siva shrines. My wife especially celebrates Pradosha here once a month. I'm more on a 'go when you feel like going' kind of schedule.

A simple offering is to take a litre of milk for the abhishekam ... if you can discover the timing.

Best wishes with it.

Aum Namasivaya

c.smith
08 August 2011, 11:41 AM
Hari Om!

During the month, pray for the monsoon rains for India and Texas because we need them - Texas is in severe drought with little relief in sight. Lord Shiva have mercy upon all of us.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Arjuni
08 August 2011, 12:54 PM
Namasté,

Divine Kala, this is the month when Shiva swallowed poison at the churning of the ocean, so it's important to offer him milk and water - particularly Ganges water if you can get it - to keep him cool.

C. Smith, thank you for mentioning the drought in Texas; I was not aware. Will certainly pray on this.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

AmIHindu
08 August 2011, 05:58 PM
Namaste,

I do Milk and water Abhishek everyday. I have small ShivLing at my home.
Due to this Sawan month, I do Rudri everyday. And Shiv like Bhabhut - Ash from Havan. Lately there were two havans in my area so I apply bhabhut on my forhead. Shivji likes bhabhut.

Nice to know this.

Shiva swallowed poison at the churning of the ocean, so it's important to offer him milk and water - particularly Ganges water if you can get it - to keep him cool.

Eastern Mind
08 August 2011, 06:48 PM
particularly Ganges water if you can get it - to

Vannakkam: For those of you living in the west who don't know this already, a lot of Indian grocery stores will sell small bottles of Ganga water. Look in the puja supply area. I buy it occasionally on special occasions.

Aum Namasivaya

Divine Kala
08 August 2011, 07:57 PM
Depending on the store, EM ji, you can get 600ml bottles of Ganges water. It's even been purified for drinking.

Eastern Mind
08 August 2011, 08:04 PM
Depending on the store, EM ji, you can get 600ml bottles of Ganges water. It's even been purified for drinking.

Vannakkam DK: Australia is ahead of Canada then. (It is closer to India.) Here you have to look hard, and 200 ml is probably the largest.

Aum Namasivaya

Divine Kala
08 August 2011, 11:02 PM
Vannakkam DK: Australia is ahead of Canada then. (It is closer to India.) Here you have to look hard, and 200 ml is probably the largest.

Aum Namasivaya

I'm sure if you looked you could find some. As far as I know there is only one store selling Ganges water in drink bottle sizes but there are probably others in other suburbs. I do happen to live in an Indian heavy zone, much to my luck!