PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep my promise?

viperalix
14 August 2011, 10:21 AM
Few weeks earlier, I noticed this small kitten which had been abandoned. I gave it food but as I have three ferocious dog at my place, I could not provide it with shelter. The same day, I prayed to God, asking him to provide shelter to the poor animal.

I was depressed and kept asking myself; How can God allow its creations (humans and animals) to suffer so much? I told Shiva that if he provided this animal with a shelter, I shall do 'x' thing (something personal) for the rest of my life.

The next morning, there was no trace of the animal. As days passed by, I asked God to guide me. I made two dreams. One in which the kitten was drowning and another one few days later, in which the kitten was happy surrounded by other cats in a family.

I can fulfill my promise based on the faith that God has helped the poor animal. But on the other hand, that kitten may had a painful and miserable death, and me I'm going to keep my promise based on my faith that the latter is safe and happy surrounded by love for the rest of my life.

Please guide me. Thanks.

PARAM
16 August 2011, 11:34 AM
I cannot tell without knowing the 'x' thing, as it depends; and yes you need proof of Kitten finding shelter to fulfill your promise.
You should have kept the kitten, not all dogs are anti cat type. Years ago when I was a kid, I had a Doberman dog and he was friendly to cats.

You missed the kitten yourself, so now decide yourself, if there is anything else then tell us.

wundermonk
16 August 2011, 11:57 AM
Is this where I should say Welcome to HDF?

Nice thought experiment though. But you made a fatal [no pun intended] mistake. Shiva "destroys". It is Vishnu you should have prayed to because he is the "preserver". :(

sunyata07
16 August 2011, 12:37 PM
Namaste Viperalix,

Welcome to the forums. Your post makes my heart glad to know there are people out there who care for lost, little animals with no home or shelter. I don't think we've had such a post before on HDF.

Would you be willing to tell us about your promise to God? Was it a drastic one (e.g. swearing to become a renunciate or a monk)? IMO, I don't think making bargains with God is a good thing. This attitude sets God up as an unfeeling, remote kingly entity from whom you need to grovel and negotiate with to satisfy your wishes. I'm not saying you can't pray for the kitten (or the welfare of anyone else) and offer your help to the best of your abilities, but to place weight on the fruit of the action is setting yourself up for either disappointment or anger (or both) at God for His lack of intervention. In this scenario, you have done your dharma by being compassionate to the animal and giving him food, wishing him a good home, etc. God will take care of the rest.

If you find the kitten again, maybe perhaps you could bring him to an animal shelter or a good home? That way you can be sure of where he ends up. It might also give you some kind of closure on the whole thing.

Om namah Shivaya