PDA

View Full Version : taken to the absolute extreme

Eastern Mind
14 August 2011, 01:29 PM
Vannakkam: I found this http://www.amazon.com/Emergence-Hinduism-Christianity-ebook/dp/B0047GMGAU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1313346234&sr=8-11
today. And then some people wonder why we think these guys are nuts. I see not many have sold. I try not to post in the Abrahamic thread, but this one was just so very laughable. Maybe I should have put it in the jokes section.
:)

Aum Namasivaya

sunyata07
14 August 2011, 02:08 PM
Namaste EM,

Christianity older than Hinduism? Christianity the origin of Sanatana Dharma? Haha. :D Good one! Yes, you should have posted this in the jokes thread, EM. I just can't take this seriously at all; it's quite hilarious. Even the title of Prof. Ninan's book seems a bit... to the point, doesn't it? Suspiciously to the point. It doesn't even sound academic in the slightest. Here's a snippet of the product's description, perhaps by the writer himself:

This book make several claims which seem outrageous. But they are all based on sound verifiable facts of history, archealogy, architecture, linguistics and clear written documentations. These conclusions are inevitable results of the evidences.

Morbid curiosity compels me to read this one, just to find out what kind of "veritable facts" this guy is talking about. I'm sure it'll be good for a barrel of laughs, if nothing else.

Om namah Shivaya

Arjuni
14 August 2011, 02:09 PM
Namasté,

There is lightning on the cover. Why, why, whyyyyyy is there lightning on the cover...

The book's topic is rotten but isn't entirely a surprise. The "pure" Abrahamic faith depends upon a manipulation and/or dismissal of historical facts - hence the perspective that the Earth and man are only some several thousand years old.

It saddens me that the author is a theoretical physics professor and an Indian in Kerala. That, and his list of published books and teaching venues, might give an air of respectability to those wretched ideas. :/

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

sunyata07
14 August 2011, 02:41 PM
Ludicrous to think, for example, that the RC Church issued a formal apology to Galileo Galilei in 1992 - 350 years after he was faced with the Roman Inquisition for committing an act of "heresy".

And I just realised the picture of the fork of lightning on the cover. A bit tacky and ironic, considering the book's content.

Om namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
14 August 2011, 03:01 PM
Vannakkam:

" May that lightning bolt smite all thee heathens. :) Such impact. What a powerful image! ... The lightning bolt ... ooooh ... so scary! The time has come for all of us to be shown the truth! The truth, I say! May I offer you a testament! Did you know that Hinduism is just another offshoot of Christianity? How do I know. St. Thomas of Sarcasm, that holy city on the island at the midpoint between Jerusalem and Kerala, told me so in a mighty vision of lightning.

Dd you know that Sabarimala is a direct copy of the ancient city of Jerusalem? Yes its true. Other than the banana trees replacing the olive trees, it is so true. I've witnessed it myself. "

Oh, the irony.

Aum Namasivaya

Jainarayan
14 August 2011, 03:22 PM
Think this guy is a stupid? He's dumb like a fox. Prof. Ninan is pandering to a niche market, and making such outrageous claims people will buy the book just to see what the "sound verifiable facts of history, archealogy, architecture, linguistics and clear written documentations" are. Follow the $$$.

Friend from the West
14 August 2011, 07:30 PM
Namaste,
Greetings to everyone. EM, think the placement of thread is perfect. Do not see this as predominately a abrahamic thing even though this individual is discussing it and others. Would like to write off this slanderer as a nut job but think in this present age, his work serves a cumulative effect.
I think of Yajvan's kindly warning in recent "Depending on HDF." along with Sunyata's response. Here in our community, we have a respected and member giving counsel about seeking the truth.
Unfortunately, in this present age many folks are preoccupied processing machines. Google knowledge only is picked up by many as only source. Respectfully, this dynamic seems to be not only reserved for the youth. It is written so it is true is a powerful existing dynamic for many. They do not have respected venerable one cautioning them as we do and as our whole tradition says, Seek the truth.
This person who writes and promotes this has something that will resonate with somebody. Perhaps not millions but a number of our dear fellow beings. There are so many of these folks out there, some of them prolific writers and famous. Some of the atheist ones give a condescending shout out to SD and devotees seem impressed.
I do not want to detract from the humor of this where one says, Wow, really?, and than laughs. That certainly exists with me. At other level see this writing and as many other things out there in this present age not only an abrahamic issue but tied in to greater issues.
Thanks to post, I read about this person and what he is doing and I am almost hauntingly brought back to Yajvan's question in thread, "Capitalism and Ignorance" and Yudhamanyu's thread, "A call for the Intellectual Kshatriya."
I can not articulate what I am feeling with this, but connection seems to exist with info. in EM's thread, with great question in Yajvan's thread and information and discussion in Yudhamanyu's thread. What is the connection?
Peace.
FFTW

charitra
14 August 2011, 08:24 PM
ready to watch something very unpleasant, then go ahead

http://haindavakeralam.com/HKPage.aspx?PageID=9463&SKIN=C

sankar
14 August 2011, 08:26 PM
the pdf version is free ....
http://www.oration.com/~mm9n/articles/PDF/Emergence%20of%20Hinduism.pdf

enjoy .... :D

charitra
14 August 2011, 08:37 PM
the pdf version is free ....
http://www.oration.com/~mm9n/articles/PDF/Emergence%20of%20Hinduism.pdf (http://www.oration.com/~mm9n/articles/PDF/Emergence%20of%20Hinduism.pdf)

enjoy .... :D

lets not naively spread antihindu rant, even in the good faith of ridiculing the messenger and the message. Namaste.

shantiseeker
14 August 2011, 09:46 PM
The author may be from India, but was in fact raised in a Christian family, so it's IMHO, part of the usual indoctrination, as well as the author's family supposedly from one of four families of which St. Thomas entrusted the Gospel. So-doesn't surprise me. People are entitled to their beliefs. I just take exception when it hits at another belief system in a mocking or judgmental stance. I can't judge this author's intent without reading the book, and I wouldn't want to pay for it, but if I'm so inclined, I actually appreciate the link to the PDF. I do however, have to remind myself to watch my own resentments, so I get too the point charitra is making. So I don't have to be a "born" Hindu to be quick to get annoyed at anti-Hindu rants, but at the same time, my own disillusionment with Christianity is something I have to monitor, but one thing I would never do is troll a dedicated Christianity ONLY forum (like a Christianity counterpart to HDF). On HDF, it is my assumption that members are Hindu/ascribe to Vedic-SD philosophies, or seeking to explore if it is a path for them. So when I talk about Christianity with resentment, I hope people here understand, as my opinions come from a HUGE perspective of my own personal disappointments and personal accounts of cruelty seen and experienced. But I know that dwelling on it also anchors me to that negativity, so it is yet another task to achieve-to let it go.

Ben Bet Beh
17 August 2011, 10:04 AM
Vannakkam: I found this http://www.amazon.com/Emergence-Hinduism-Christianity-ebook/dp/B0047GMGAU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1313346234&sr=8-11
today. And then some people wonder why we think these guys are nuts. I see not many have sold. I try not to post in the Abrahamic thread, but this one was just so very laughable. Maybe I should have put it in the jokes section.

Aum Namasivaya
Claim from the book: Hinduism didn't exist prior to 2nd century a.d.? Now that's a stretch. I didn't go past the first claim they listed...no need to waste the time or money on such nonsense.

Eastern Mind
17 August 2011, 03:02 PM
Vannakkam Ben Bet Beh: But (too many three letter words staring with B, from now on you're BBB, at least one of my favorite musicians was BB) at least perhaps it gives you a better idea at the frustration of some Hindus. This is what we deal with occasionally.

Its tricky some days for intelligent people to deal with those less fortunate in the brains realm, in many facets of life. At least in this case its easy to ignore.
Aum Namasivaya

sankar
17 August 2011, 10:17 PM
It saddens me that the author is a theoretical physics professor and an Indian in Kerala.

the kerala state is different, the christian population in there is nearly 30%.

sanjaya
19 August 2011, 04:35 PM
It saddens me that the author is a theoretical physics professor and an Indian in Kerala. That, and his list of published books and teaching venues, might give an air of respectability to those wretched ideas. :/

Actually that part makes me happy. We astronomers are usually derided by the physicists in combined physics and astronomy departments, indeed we are thought of as the lesser scientists. Glad to see that the physicists aren't immune to gross inaccuracy. :)

Ramakrishna
21 August 2011, 04:15 PM
Namaste all,

Fortunately most people will see this book for what it is: garbage. But no doubt missionaries have already added it to their "toolkit".

I agree, especially the fact that he is Indian will give him even more respectability in some circles. People will think, "Oh this guy is Indian. So he must actually know about Hinduism and he saw how it arose out of Christianity." :rolleyes:

Jai Sri Ram

TTCUSM
10 September 2011, 05:57 PM
Guys,

Please look up the Heliodorus pillar.
It was erected by a Greek traveler who converted to Vaishnavism around 100 BC, proving that Hinduism is older than Christianity.

PARAM
11 September 2011, 01:23 AM
That book is only for Hindu haters like him, I am not satisfied by post from Kallol there. Jesuist Missionaries has called everyone as Christian who allowed them freedom of worship.