PDA

View Full Version : Can we have warning system ?

kallol
17 August 2011, 12:00 PM
May be we can decide on the parameters based on the objective of this forum.

Some might be :

1. Promotion of western religion which are obvious.

2. Abusive languages, name calling, etc

3. More discussion threads on non SD related topics - making the objective hazy

4. ....

May be a 3 level warning system (normal) or 2 levels (hard cases) would be appropriate.

Really speaking now a days I do not find many topics to deliberate on from knowledge perspective (Uttara was created for that). I took a long leave because of same reason.

May be some de-weeding is required and some structural changes are required to bring back the objective in focus.

Love and best wishes

Jainarayan
17 August 2011, 12:18 PM
Personally, I'd like to have the ability to put certain forums on block, much the way you can put users on ignore. Some forum software can handle that, I don't know if vBulletin can. My gut tells me "no".

The feature would be particularly useful for when you click on New Posts, as I think many people do, as I do. If I didn't want to see the Jalpa or Abrahamic forum, I'd have them blocked in my profile.

Weeding out puts a heavy burden on satay and other moderators.

An easier way imo is to just don't open any thread under one of the offending forums. It takes a bit of discipline, but so does achieving moksha. And we're trying our damnedest for that, aren't we? ;)

wundermonk
17 August 2011, 02:34 PM
Personally, I'd like to have the ability to put certain forums on block, much the way you can put users on ignore. Some forum software can handle that, I don't know if vBulletin can. My gut tells me "no".

The feature would be particularly useful for when you click on New Posts, as I think many people do, as I do. If I didn't want to see the Jalpa or Abrahamic forum, I'd have them blocked in my profile.

Weeding out puts a heavy burden on satay and other moderators.

An easier way imo is to just don't open any thread under one of the offending forums. It takes a bit of discipline, but so does achieving moksha. And we're trying our damnedest for that, aren't we? ;)

That is NOT the solution. The idea of HDF is for us to move together as a community. It is after painful searching/weeding through trash on the web that many of us arrived at HDF. Now you suggest that some weeds may grow within HDF but we ought to pick and choose what we want.

Hinduism has had a difficult past with Abrahamics. You [probably being a Caucasian ex-Christian] will NEVER be able to understand this.

Jainarayan
17 August 2011, 02:44 PM
That is NOT the solution. The idea of HDF is for us to move together as a community.

Sounds great, but how would you propose to do that? The current method of name-calling seems to be defeating the purpose.

Hinduism has had a difficult past with Abrahamics. You [probably being a Caucasian ex-Christian] will NEVER be able to understand this.

Oh, you don't know what I understand and don't understand, and never will, and don't ever presume to think you can or will. I've forgotten more prejudice, misery and tears than you've [probably] ever known or will know. I've got a 33 year headstart on you, m'friend.

wundermonk
17 August 2011, 02:50 PM
Sounds great, but how would you propose to do that? The current method of name-calling seems to be defeating the purpose.

Oh, you don't know what I understand and don't understand, and never will, and don't ever presume to think you can or will. I've forgotten more prejudice, misery and tears than you've [probably] ever known or will know. I've got a 33 year headstart on you, m'friend.

I bow out of here repeating that non-Indian Hindus [many, not all] are CLUELESS ABOUT HOW MUCH OF A DIFFICULT PAST HINDUISM HAS HAD/CONTINUES TO HAVE WITH ABRAHAMICS.

You may be elder to me but I will call out hogwash for what it is when I see it.

\thread

Adhvagat
17 August 2011, 06:14 PM
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/buttons/report.gif - Just use this button guys.

BryonMorrigan
18 August 2011, 08:05 AM
I bow out of here repeating that non-Indian Hindus [many, not all] are CLUELESS ABOUT HOW MUCH OF A DIFFICULT PAST HINDUISM HAS HAD/CONTINUES TO HAVE WITH ABRAHAMICS.

You may be elder to me but I will call out hogwash for what it is when I see it.

\thread

Certainly not all of us indeed. ;)

I still contend that Abrahamic religion is the single most destructive ideology in the history of the planet...not just to Hindus, but to all of Humanity in general.

sm78
18 August 2011, 09:38 AM
Certainly not all of us indeed. ;)

I still contend that Abrahamic religion is the single most destructive ideology in the history of the planet...not just to Hindus, but to all of Humanity in general.

But I also contend that it is also a inbuilt part of humanity and our design. Something in us will always keep large part of the population from clinging to superstition and refuse to accept freedom, which may be a primal insecurity in our make-up and cannot be simply be get rid off from our DNA. Religion in general and Abrahamic ones in particular just hold humanity hostage to one of its own weakness.

But it is true Abrahamic religion is a most difficult and destructive manifestation of this strain, in the history of humanity.

Kismet
18 August 2011, 09:52 AM
It is after painful searching/weeding through trash on the web that many of us arrived at HDF.

With all due respect... you can say THAT again, lol!

saidevo
18 August 2011, 10:16 PM
I am sorry to note that TatTvamasi and Sahasranama have incurred on themselves a ban once again. In the wake of increasing number of western Hindus joining HDF, the traditional members, specially the native Hindus, have a concern to give them proper guidance, preserving the Hindu tradition and the allegiance to our land of sacred BhArat. Both TTA and Sahasranama were more vehement in voicing the traditional aspects of Hindu Dharma than most of us, and in this respect we will miss them. Hope things would become normal in due course and they would be back again, with a resolve to restrain expression of their anger and concern in objectionable language, which has been the cause of their getting banned.

Adhvagat
18 August 2011, 11:44 PM
With all due respect... you can say THAT again, lol!

After years of inquiry, I found a virtual place filled with great discussions and lots of world views that changed me deeply.

I am sorry to note that TatTvamasi and Sahasranama have incurred on themselves a ban once again. In the wake of increasing number of western Hindus joining HDF, the traditional members, specially the native Hindus, have a concern to give them proper guidance, preserving the Hindu tradition and the allegiance to our land of sacred BhArat. Both TTA and Sahasranama were more vehement in voicing the traditional aspects of Hindu Dharma than most of us, and in this respect we will miss them. Hope things would become normal in due course and they would be back again, with a resolve to restrain expression of their anger and concern in objectionable language, which has been the cause of their getting banned.

I feel the same.

sm78
19 August 2011, 02:28 AM
I feel the same.

What happened again?

Eastern Mind
19 August 2011, 07:12 AM
Vannakkam: Traditionally, the Hindu is soft within Hinduism, and only needs to harden up in a defense situation. As our friend Yajvan has said so many times, "We are polite people."

I feel this is true only up to a certain point. That point is when its really clear that the newcomer's objectives aren't to learn, but rather to bring upon Christian universalism or other non-dharmic faith. Its like the persistent canvasser on the phone or at your door. Eventually you may have to slam the door.

Personally, I feel it isn't just western Hindus who do this, as Brother Saidevo has implied. Its also people born in India. For me the naive westerner is more easily excused as he is just naive. The Indian Christian is less naive, and usually has very purposeful intentions.

Now if I was a very deceptive Christian, posing as a hard core Hindu on a forum such as this and being incredibly rude to all Christians who came by would serve a purpose: that of making sure no Christian fell for Hinduism.

So I think its duty to be tactful and polite despite what our actual feelings are. Anger isn't part of my Hindu teachings. Anger management is.

Aum Namasivaya

Adhvagat
19 August 2011, 07:33 PM
But I also contend that it is also a inbuilt part of humanity and our design. Something in us will always keep large part of the population from clinging to superstition and refuse to accept freedom, which may be a primal insecurity in our make-up and cannot be simply be get rid off from our DNA. Religion in general and Abrahamic ones in particular just hold humanity hostage to one of its own weakness.

But it is true Abrahamic religion is a most difficult and destructive manifestation of this strain, in the history of humanity.

SM, are you against Hinduism as a religion?

devotee
19 August 2011, 09:21 PM
Now if I was a very deceptive Christian, posing as a hard core Hindu on a forum such as this and being incredibly rude to all Christians who came by would serve a purpose: that of making sure no Christian fell for Hinduism.

A very good observation, EM ! Alas, we fail to see that, sometimes.:(

OM

sm78
22 August 2011, 02:52 AM
SM, are you against Hinduism as a religion?

Yes. I don't see how in principle it is any better than the Abrahamic counterparts.

There is some fundamental problems with believing that our ancestors few thousand years earlier knew the world better than us, or some supernatural entities dictated books for men etc etc.

PARAM
22 August 2011, 10:18 AM
May be we can decide on the parameters based on the objective of this forum.

Some might be :

1. Promotion of western religion which are obvious. What is it? There is no western eastern, northern, southern, central etc geographical location for religion, but Hinduism is Dharma, we should careful of Adharma.

2. Abusive languages, name calling, etc There is already a button for reporting abuse.

3. More discussion threads on non SD related topics - making the objective hazy Just report them and do not post anything there.

4. ....

May be a 3 level warning system (normal) or 2 levels (hard cases) would be appropriate.
For this Satay will need a staff to check it, who is going to join the staff?

Really speaking now a days I do not find many topics to deliberate on from knowledge perspective (Uttara was created for that). I took a long leave because of same reason.
We all take some leave for some reason.

May be some de-weeding is required and some structural changes are required to bring back the objective in focus.
Love and best wishes
Changing the banner is required

Adhvagat
22 August 2011, 10:54 AM
Yes. I don't see how in principle it is any better than the Abrahamic counterparts.

There is some fundamental problems with believing that our ancestors few thousand years earlier knew the world better than us, or some supernatural entities dictated books for men etc etc.

So, in your opinion, how should Hinduism be viewed and practiced?

PS: SM gave a nice related answer in this thread: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=71059

satay
23 August 2011, 10:17 PM
namaste singhi,

Have you been reading Osho? :)

sm78
24 August 2011, 02:53 AM
Have you been reading Osho? :)

When I read Osho, I though religion and orthodoxy is very good, and this man has diluted and mixed up things to suit his mission (which may be true).

When I read religion, I thought Osho is not completely wrong after all. :)

No seriously, the spiritual traditions within Hinduism far outweigh what it also carries as religious hangover. But I get nervous when people pull out arbitary quotes starts lecturing about varna, adhikara bheda and other mumbo jumbo, often taking out their personal grudge while hiding behind quotations.

When one analyses and see for reality, this falling back squarely on books written by some people thousands of years ago and disregarding one's own common sense and experienced reality (and inner experiences if it applies) is problematic.

There is lot to be gained from living and following traditions like shaivism, vaishnavism or smartism - but it has to be with the correct understanding and purpose. If we respect and revere our traditions and holy books, it is because of their proven track record of relieving the man from his constant earthly companions of death & misery. It is not because of some fear of retribution from a god or fear of accumulation sins. Fear, divine authority of words in a book etc are purely religious tools which may not of started that way in Hinduism. Vedas were initially respected because of the proven efficacy of the mantras & rituals. For doctrinal purposes mimamsakas attiributed them to divine authority.

It cannot be that these traditions & texts did not have biases and misconceptions of their ages which we cannot avoid now with hindsight. Many of the acharyas in these institutions have made many changes over the years which go against word by word teachings of their own books - because they are intelligent and wise people. Now orthodox vaishnavas who would not touch other casts or followers take westerns as full initiates. Nambooodris had strange practices based on varna and untouchability and now they invite people from all religions to their srauta rituals.

But there is still no shortage of people who will dig out verses and concepts which are clearly wrong in plain human consciousness to defend their own prejudices. Even now, hatred and bigotry in name of religion is all too common in India. A problem which has plagued our unity and security still persists, because bigots of the present age under the security of religion & divinity invoke the words of the bigots of the past.