PDA

View Full Version : College and Money :(

ScarletRose
22 August 2011, 07:17 PM
So a new school year is about to begin here and I'm here sitting in the dorms still trying to figure out what to do about money. I still need $2,000 or else I'm dropped from my classes and no longer in college :( I'm at the end of my string here, there's little to no options left for me. I need prayers to help me handle the stress of this time and hopefully find a way out of this endless cycle of trying to find money and having no luck. I know I could be being tested, and I take this as a valuable lesson, but prayers and support would be helpful to keep me together in this difficult time.

Thank you so much and I wish you all the best in your own lives.

Also a little Happy Birthday to Lord Krishna here.

Eastern Mind
22 August 2011, 07:28 PM
Vannakkam SR: I have no solutions for you other than prayers. Times have always been tough for students. When I went we had to sacrifice a lot. I was fortunate in that I found a job as a caretaked for a 24 suite apartment building, in exchange for free rent. Many students rely on part time jobs, but that certainly doesn't help with the education time. Another option is to delat it. Here in Canada there is less expense generally, and its easier to get student loans.

Aum Namasivaya

Friend from the West
22 August 2011, 10:18 PM
Scarlet Rose,
In my experience, not always but usually, there is a "third" alternative. Perhaps clear your mind (minus cat interruption if remember right) and it will come to you. Perhaps not so sweet tasting to you on immediate conclusion of what you decide "must" do but acceptable by far. Sometimes experiences on this supposed compromise path are pricelss. Only my experence. I am praying for you.
Take care,
FFTW

sunyata07
23 August 2011, 02:37 PM
Namaste Scarlet,

I can sympathise with you on this, because I've been through the same money problems with college before. It's become a lot worse, though. My sisters are also feeling the financial squeeze. Certainly life has become a lot harder to college students, even outside the States. A sad world we live in that a bright and ready student's education could be put to hold because of something so base as money. Any chance you could try finding a job in the meantime to cover your fees? FFTW offers truth, bitter though it might be to the taste: sometimes what one must do is not in accordance with what one would like to do to see his/her objectives achieved.

I'll include you in my thoughts and prayers in this. Ganesha bless you.

Om namah Shivaya

Ramakrishna
23 August 2011, 09:19 PM
Namaste ScarletRose,

As a fellow college student, I can definitely relate to you. College has never been as expensive as it is today. Even with scholarships, grants, and loans it is ridiculously expensive, and Congress is making it even harder to get student aid. There is now more student loan debt than credit card debt in the United States. It's sad how something so essential as education is becoming out of reach for so many people. :(

I will do some japa rounds for you.

Jai Sri Ram

saidevo
23 August 2011, 10:49 PM
namaste ST.

The last two mantras--one to RAma and another to HanumAn--in this post could be of help in fulfilment of your ambition and efforts:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=69756&postcount=6

Be conscious of them and try to contemplate on them amidst your worries and anxieties.

sankar
25 August 2011, 01:50 AM
stay positive SR, take the situation as an opportunity to develop your inner strength. Good Luck, Scarlet Rose ...

ScarletRose
25 August 2011, 10:49 PM
Thank you all for the prayers, I really appreciate them. Things are still a bit difficult, I still need to find a way to pay things off, but now I know I have more time to do this, and I'm trying to find work. I hope I'm able to find a job and get things paid off, that way I don't have to have it on my shoulders for a while. I do take this as a valuable learning experience, and I'm not complaining about it happening, but it's still really stressful.

Thank you all for the prayers and I really hope the best for you all and your families :)

Caltha
26 August 2011, 11:02 AM
Scarlet Rose, colleges and universities often have, or know of help for their students when there are problems (including financial problems). But it's not always obvious how to find this help!

Sometimes there are emergency funds for students, sometimes there are job listings from the community especially for students. Universities and colleges often have student jobs available, too, and you must be a student to hold those jobs.

If you are new to your school, you might not know where to go to even find out about these things. Since you are in a dorm, your RA might know. The website for your school might also give you some ideas about where to go if you have a problem. I'm sure that your school doesn't want you sitting in your dorm and having to leave because of $2000!

In addition to your RA, I would try your office of financial aid, to see if they have any ideas about how you can bridge that gap. They might know about jobs, for example, and if you go to them they will know you are not a deadbeat and you want to work to solve this problem. A college advisor might be able to help, too. It would be worthwhile to go to the office hours of your professors and ask if they have any advice. (It's a good idea to get to know your professors anyway!)

My warmest good wishes to you!

ScarletRose
26 August 2011, 07:58 PM
Caltha, this is my second year here, and I have gone to the Financial Aid office, they said they can't do anything but give me work study, and finding a job in that alone is hard. They can't give me the emergency loan, I don't qualify because I'm living in the dorms (which I think is a dumb reason, but oh well) and there's nothing else they can do. Also the payment plans they have are still wildly expensive, and because i missed the first payment due to late enrollment in the plan I have to pay that whole payment at the same time I sign up, which I can't do. This is really difficult, and I may be able to stay for this semester, but after that I don't know what to do :(