PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree that the concept of corruption was introduced by Britishers

The Occult
24 August 2011, 06:12 AM
I find it ridiculous to hear from foreigners when they say that "Corruption is a way of life in your country"

Obviously, I have never heard of corruption in Indian history before the English rule and yet they say that these things

Mana
24 August 2011, 06:15 AM
Its a great way to justify apathy. I hear it all the time, along with " Oh its just a necessary evil."

PaneerTikka
26 August 2011, 03:44 AM
Corruption was introduced by .......humans.

We shouldn't fall into the trap of blaming others for our own failings. Britain today is a tolerant society with little corruption when compared to India. Corruption which is endemic in India will only be solved when Indians themselves take a stand against it. I hope the recent anti-corruption protests are the start of a sea change in thinking which leads to a better society for all.

sm78
26 August 2011, 05:03 AM
Yes, everything wrong with india and indians were implanted by the british including our ability to think, decide and act responsively. They accomplished this by performing some sort alteration of the DNA or the brain structure of the entire population. Don't ask me how. But it must be in the colonial archives somewhere in Britain.

The Occult
26 August 2011, 06:04 AM
Corruption was introduced by .......humans.

We shouldn't fall into the trap of blaming others for our own failings. Britain today is a tolerant society with little corruption when compared to India. Corruption which is endemic in India will only be solved when Indians themselves take a stand against it. I hope the recent anti-corruption protests are the start of a sea change in thinking which leads to a better society for all.

Little Corruption?.... yes,they dont have much coirruption, tolerant society?..I'm not sure....I'm not sure if they're that tolerant with non whites.They still have that colonial mentality when it comes to dealing with us.Unlike Australians who are openly racist, they are more subtle.Fighting directly has never been their quality,has it?

issacnewton
26 August 2011, 11:24 AM
i think even indians are no less racist........

i have seen how african students are treated in india .......... they are called
'kalia' by people who probably have similar skin color.....

i think there are racists in all societies .... so indians should stop behaving as if they are some holy cow.........

Eastern Mind
26 August 2011, 12:26 PM
Vannakkam: You can lead a follower of dharma to a bribe, but you can't make him take it.

A friend of mine tells a funny story of misconception. While travelling in India a security guard somewhere stuck out the open palm and my friend just thought he wanted a handshake so he shook it and continued on his merry way, with the bribester shaking his head in confusion.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
26 August 2011, 02:03 PM
so indians should stop behaving as if they are some holy cow.........

What! you are not a holy cow? :cool1: You know what we do around here with in Canada with unholy cows?

satay
26 August 2011, 02:10 PM
namaste Singhi,

Yes, everything wrong with india and indians were implanted by the british

Corruption is much bigger issue but if you think about it the root cause might be the british rule. They looted us of all resources. When there are no resources left, no jobs, no education, no way to feed the family, people turn to corrupt ways just to survive. That's how it starts but it seems like it becomes a cancer after that.

Think about it. If i robbed you of all your assets even the clothes on your back and left you no way to get a job or to provide for your family, what would you do? Don't tell me that you will sit there under a tree citing morality when your child sits in dirt crying for food. Now, if there was a way to provide for your family but that way is immoral or corrupt, would you take it, even for the short term? How many of us would not? What we indians forgot to do was to recover from the corrupt ways...That said, I think there is hope...the new generation, your generation is making it better...

Arjuni
26 August 2011, 02:27 PM
Namasté, all,

Satay, you make a very valid point in your excellent post. It's easier to embrace noble ideals when your basic needs are met, almost impossible to stick to principles when there's something you desperately need. Agree completely that if it was the British who (directly or indirectly) started this, it's the Indians of today who are pushing to rise from it now.

Deleted rest of post because my brain isn't working very well today, and attempts at humour are coming across with a vague callousness that I don't mean.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Yava Dari
05 September 2011, 03:14 PM
I had read long back that Chanakya had discussed about the menace of corruption in his "Arthashastra" which was written around 2300 years ago. Britain was still struggling to start a civilization then. So I am sure the British were not the ones to introduce corruption to India.

http://www.indiastudychannel.com/resources/136484-Corruption-Bribery-Ancient-India.aspx

The above link talks about how Kautilya(Chanakya), Kalhana and Ksemendra (both 12th Century AD) have discussed the issue.