PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Rudraksha

Divine Kala
02 September 2011, 04:56 AM
Namaste

So... how do you clean your rudraksha? What's the best way you've found? I only found out that I'm meant to clean mine regularly - I've been wearing mine for about 5 years and I'm feeling I bit guilty for not taking care of them!

c.smith
02 September 2011, 06:56 AM
Hari Om!

Personally I have always just applied pure sandalwood oil and energized during puja with dhoop and sandal paste. Would place in sun as needed.

Found a "maintenance kit" at www.rudraksha-ratna.com (http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com) that may or not be beneficial but is subscribes to many of the same concepts that I already practice but includes a few new ones.

I do have some white "build up" for lack of a better term on a couple of the beads that I wear that the oils don't remove. Was given a solution to soak the beads in overnight that worked but never knew what was in it.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated from me as well.

Jainarayan
02 September 2011, 09:07 AM
Namaste DK, c.s., et al. :)

I found this at Rudraksha Centre also: Tips for Care (http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/showarticles.php?artid=54). I endeavor to help. :o

Btw, I got my puja items order from them. You were right, I couldn't be happier. I am going to order a few more things.

Hari Om!

Personally I have always just applied pure sandalwood oil and energized during puja with dhoop and sandal paste. Would place in sun as needed.

Found a "maintenance kit" at www.rudraksha-ratna.com (http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com) that may or not be beneficial but is subscribes to many of the same concepts that I already practice but includes a few new ones.

I do have some white "build up" for lack of a better term on a couple of the beads that I wear that the oils don't remove. Was given a solution to soak the beads in overnight that worked but never knew what was in it.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated from me as well.

c.smith
02 September 2011, 12:09 PM
Hari Om!

Not to doubt the authenticity of the advice given by the Rudra Center, but I personally disagree. I've always understood that one is to wear them in the shower as Lord Shiva is pleased with the water that is given during bath. Of course one is to avoid soaping them, but certainly water is OK. I don't believe in removing my necklaces. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that you'll find it from other reliable sources as well. Then again, to each his own.

In terms of cleaning, Miss Neetaji of the Center told me that the build up on my beads was probably from years of body oil, etc and that they should be soaked overnight after brushing in a solution with something that began with an "R". It's in a powdered shampoo from India that I use so I'll have to look at the ingredients of such when I return home in a few days. Perhaps someone already knows what I'm speaking of. I'd know it if I saw it.

Whatever you do however, do it with love, devotion, and gentleness as you are dealing with Lord Shiva who deserves the utmost respect, reverence and devotion.

Om Namah Sivaya!
Jai Hanuman!

c.smith
02 September 2011, 12:17 PM
Hari Om!

Found the ingredients to the hair wash online. The "R" is for "ritha". Use very little, but I don't recall the amount. Probably a very tiny amount to start to see how the bead reacts. Better still, I'll try it on my own and post the result.

Om Namah Sivaya!
Jai Hanuman!

Jainarayan
02 September 2011, 12:19 PM
Namaste c.smith!

Hari Om!

Not to doubt the authenticity of the advice given by the Rudra Center, but I personally disagree. I've always understood that one is to wear them in the shower as Lord Shiva is pleased with the water that is given during bath.

They are probably "erring on the side of caution", and giving the most stringent of rules, knowing that someone somewhere sometime will slip. My understanding is that Lord Shiva is a lover of abishekam.

Whatever you do however, do it with love, devotion, and gentleness as you are dealing with Lord Shiva who deserves the utmost respect, reverence and devotion.

Om Namah Sivaya!
Jai Hanuman!

Love and devotion: two of the best words when referring to God. :)

c.smith
06 September 2011, 09:57 AM
Hari Om!

Tried the ritha, but in combination with shikakai, neem, triphala and lavander - the ingredients of the hair wash that I have because I don't have the ritha alone. It seems to have worked after a couple of overnight soakings and brushings. Rinsed well with water of course between soaks and let the rudrakshas dry. No discoloration or any other problems that I've noticed.

Perhaps an extra step in place of rinsing with regular water would be to use water from the Ganga, available from most Indian Grocers. Just an idea.

Om Namah Sivaya!
Jai Hanuman!

shivrudraksha
13 July 2013, 11:39 AM
all you need to do is properly clean your rudraksha with a clean brush (dont use that brush for anything else) and some soap water. after that rinse it in clean water, dry it with a clean cloth and put it under sunlight. after that soak it overnight in mustard oil. thats it. you dont need to do anything else.