PDA

View Full Version : Aghori Shaivites?

Spiritualseeker
06 September 2011, 05:31 PM
Namaste,

I have been reading and watching some clips dealing with Aghori Shaivites. They are a very interesting bunch. I do not know if all that I read about is true. But I am wondering if anyone has any links to good sites about the Aghori shaivites. I would appreciate it.

Interesting in the feed back

Om Namah Shivaya

sm78
07 September 2011, 04:53 AM
My understanding is now that the term is quite diluted and sadhus from diverse tradition carry that tag. I don't know if there was, is actually a historical Aghori sect.

Some tend to regard Aghori as modern day descendants of Kapalika and Kalamukha shaivites who practiced similar taboo rituals, but it is more a theoritical identification to something which no longer exist.

Really, I think, Aghori should refer to a sect of sadhus founded by Kina Ram some 150 years ago and headquarterd in Baneras.

But then I have also come accross so called shakta tantrics who also add/carry Aghor tag in addition to tantra. They claim Aghor is a most advanced class of tantra and aghori tantric wear black clothes instead of red.

Ascetic Hindu society is even more complex, diverse and maybe chaotic than householder society, and it is difficult from a broad term like Aghori to understand what it might mean. While the inspiration may be ancient, what is being followed may be something recent.

devotee
07 September 2011, 10:42 PM
I earlier thought that Aghor panth was dead but after coming to Varanasi I saw that it was very there live and kicking ! :)

OM

satay
09 September 2011, 09:50 AM
Ahhh... Varanasi the abode of Aghora!:)

Jai BoleNath!

Ganeshprasad
09 September 2011, 05:14 PM
Pranam all

i don't think Pasupaat followers were aghori but this aghorannaparoo just reminded me Mahina stotra and Aghora in it,sorry for my impudence.

Text 35

Maheshannaparo devo mahimno napara stutih,
aghorannaparo mantro nasti tattvam guroh param.
There is no God higher than Shiva, there is no hymn better than the hymn on the greatness of Shiva, there is no mantra more powerful than the name of Shiva, there is nothing higher to be known than the real nature of the Guru. (35)---

Jai Shree Krishna