PDA

View Full Version : Heat Death of the Universe and Samkhya

wundermonk
13 September 2011, 01:25 AM
Hello All:

The heat death of the universe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe) is one scenario of the future of our known universe in which the entire universe will be reduced to "unusable energy". Thermodynamically, entropy would be maximum and hence no useful work can be performed.

The Samkhyan view on cosmogony is that Prakriti [and its constituent elements of Sattva, Rajas and Tamas] is in equilibrium prior to creation. What stirs Prakriti thereby disturbing its equilibrium into another round of creation is the presence of unliberated jivas or Purushas.

Can this equilibrium of Prakriti be reconciled with heat death?

Kismet
15 September 2011, 09:02 PM
Interestingly I had practically the same exact idea over the summer one day when reading the Bhagavad Gita. Can't say I know the answer myself though.

Mana
26 September 2011, 02:23 AM
Namasté Wondermonk, Kismet,

Interesting theory, here is my take on it. Entropy is an extremely difficult idea to grasp, one which completely defies the apparent linear nature of much of our every day observance.

Lord Kelvin's work on thermodynamics was ground breaking at the time. However, he had lost his creative drive; he was actually quoted at the turn of the 20th century as to saying:

"There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement."

I believe that he actually stifled James Clerk Maxwell somewhat, who was a forerunner to relativity in electricity and magnetic field theory developing the electromagnetic theory of light, and truly a man of insight and vision. However I shall have to rummage to find the book from which I can justify that remark. An unsung hero, eclipsed somewhat by his dominant boss; Maxwell was of a rather nervous disposition.

A much higher understanding has been gained since then, this was pre relativity, pre QED pre DNA, pre Chaos. Einstein based much of his work in relativity on the work of Maxwell. Maxwell arguably making the greater leap in understanding.

As for Tesla, we are not quite on that page yet!

For a modern insight in to entropy, Might I recommend this article? (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14200-galaxy-map-hints-at-fractal-universe.html)

Heat death to my mind negate puruSa.

I have wandered somewhat from the topic for that I am very sorry. I do get carried away.

Entropy is a fascinating thought and theory, an interesting thread, thank you.

praNAma

mana

wundermonk
26 September 2011, 05:50 AM
Heat death to my mind negate puruSa.

Could you elaborate more on how you arrived at this?

The question that I have is this: Does our universe have a finite amount of energy or infinite amount of energy? If there is a finite amount of energy then I think we WILL end up eventually with heat death.

If there is an infinite amount of energy, then maybe we will NOT encounter heat death.

The reason why I do like the Samkhyan view of cosmogony is that assume there is a meteor that hits the earth tomorrow and all life on earth is destroyed. [Of course theology of different types endow a special status to human life and Yahweh or Allah is specially taking care a meteor doesnt hit earth. A scientist will not be bothered by such woo and would take an objective view of things.] Is that the end of it all? According to Samkhya, it is NOT the end. Pradhana/Prakriti would reach equilibrium. The unresolved Karma of all life forms on earth just prior to the meteor hit would disturb Pradhana leading to yet another universe...ad infinitum.

I just find this more rational than believing in a benevolent God that is doing special things to ensure no meteor strikes earth destroying it.

Mana
26 September 2011, 07:16 AM
Namasté wundermonk,

What is heat? it is the vibrational state of matter, be it solid liquid gas or plasma. Taking the axiom that E=mc².

We can observe that all matter no matter what its state is energy. If heat is given (by the radiation of infra red light) there are three possibility's; either, the object is loosing mass, or it is slowing down or it is reflecting. From a very relative position; we can never know either how fast we are travelling, our mass out side of gravity, or the rate of flow of time. It is all interconnected. Un knowable.

Now we may not see where this "heat" energy goes but light is not lost, it just scatters. The inverse square law.

Entropy works from our relativistic point of view, but it does not include the whole picture. Which is that time is not constant.

What is the energetic force used when electrons chose a direction of spin? How does this fit in to entropy? We need to evaluate our notion of time.

To my mind Fractals are every where in nature, they imply infinity in infinite directions, within bounds. The key here is within bounds. Entropy or cooling to nothing would imply no bounds, were this the case; infinity would collapse upon its self and there is no prakRti, what is the apparition of heat in prakRti? puruSa. I say within meaning entwined.

puruSa and prakRti can be seen to be made; in the fission of stars, and of supernova. Black holes continuously absorb puruSa and prakRti but in doing so jet out a stream of radiation.

A black whole is a boundary as is a super nova. One infinity long the other infinatly short.

I love the idea that (x=mc²+x) still not checked it though.

Just musings, but I hope that you find this to be of interest.

praNAma

mana

saidevo
26 September 2011, 08:30 AM
namaste.

We have some threads at HDF discussing the implications of entropy:
Metaphysical pointers in physical science
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7318

Ice-crystals and Evolution
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=5499

Hello fellow travellers
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/archive/index.php?t-5451.html