PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible that chanting affects one negatively?

Mestreech
15 September 2011, 12:09 AM
Hello :)

I have a very important question to you. First I will ask the question, then I will tell my story. The question: Can it be that chanting will affect you negatively when not following the rules (abstinence, eat vegetarian food etc.) because that way you insult krsna?

A couple of months ago I (a non-believer) ran into a Hare Krishna devotee that was ‘spreading the word’ in my hometown. We had a conversation that lasted several hours and I still think she was one of the brightest people I’ve ever talked to. At the end of our conversation she offered me a book called ‘Chant and be happy’. When I told her I wasn’t going to read the book and that she’d better offer it to someone else she said ‘Please take it, even though you are a happy person, this book will make you even happier.’ So just to do her a favor and to reward her for sharing her bright thoughts with me I took the book in exchange for a small payment. Once I got home I stored the book somewhere and totally forgot about it. Two weeks ago when I opened some old boxes I found the book again and got curious, so I started reading. I read the introduction (roman numbers) and now I’m at page 10, not intending to read on. Here’s why:

In my whole 20-year old life I never had an accident, but in the same week I started chanting the Hare Krsna mantra I ended up in the emergency department twice in one week for separate accidents. Now I suffer a broken rib, stitches in my hand, a mild concussion and some other injuries.
Today I say this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnyc6GI_zE : A man explaining some things about how to chant the mantra and at 0.52 he claims that if you don’t follow the rules, chanting might hurt you. I do not follow these rules and am now wondering: Is that man talking gibberish or should I stop chanting right now and just go on living my life like I always did: already happy while believing in nothing but myself?

With kind regards, Mestreech

charitra
15 September 2011, 02:41 PM
one only insults oneself, and no one can insult Krishna or shiva or simply Brahman. They always give and never take anything from me or you regardless of its being good or bad.The chant uttered improperly cannot hurt you either, it probably will have similar effect when you sing a bollywood tune. Your ending up in a hospital has again nothing to do the way you said those lines or your frame of mind/ focus at the time of singing them.One can pose a counter argument that since you started chanting you got away with less severe injuries (otherwise they could have been fatal). Make sense?

You started a path that can be arduous but at the same time be happy at least you started it now rather than after another 20 years. Food habits are bit overplayed, however try to be dispassionate about food, it takes time though. In the meanwhile please read as much as possible, since that is the surest remedy for ignorance. Didnt mean to advice or offend you. Ignore this as its all just for free.Namaste.

Eastern Mind
15 September 2011, 03:31 PM

I have a very important question to you. First I will ask the question, then I will tell my story. The question: Can it be that chanting will affect you negatively when not following the rules (abstinence, eat vegetarian food etc.) because that way you insult krsna?

A couple of months ago I (a non-believer) ran into a Hare Krishna devotee that was ‘spreading the word’ in my hometown. We had a conversation that lasted several hours and I still think she was one of the brightest people I’ve ever talked to. At the end of our conversation she offered me a book called ‘Chant and be happy’. When I told her I wasn’t going to read the book and that she’d better offer it to someone else she said ‘Please take it, even though you are a happy person, this book will make you even happier.’ So just to do her a favor and to reward her for sharing her bright thoughts with me I took the book in exchange for a small payment. Once I got home I stored the book somewhere and totally forgot about it. Two weeks ago when I opened some old boxes I found the book again and got curious, so I started reading. I read the introduction (roman numbers) and now I’m at page 10, not intending to read on. Here’s why:

In my whole 20-year old life I never had an accident, but in the same week I started chanting the Hare Krsna mantra I ended up in the emergency department twice in one week for separate accidents. Now I suffer a broken rib, stitches in my hand, a mild concussion and some other injuries.
Today I say this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnyc6GI_zE : A man explaining some things about how to chant the mantra and at 0.52 he claims that if you don’t follow the rules, chanting might hurt you. I do not follow these rules and am now wondering: Is that man talking gibberish or should I stop chanting right now and just go on living my life like I always did: already happy while believing in nothing but myself?

Vannakkam Mestreech: Firstly, there are several takes on this type of thing, and don't expect everyone here to agree. The fellow on the video and dear charitra already proved that. :)

In the end, it will be, "What do you think?"

My personal view is that these types of general mantras cannot harm you. Under certain circumstances, (like having diksha, or in conjuction with something else, or level of concentration) they may help you more than at other times. For me, its only, what degree of help is it?

There is also no clear definition of "help". Just as charitra suggested, perhaps it could have been worse. Also, in my experience sometimes an injury is His way of saying, "Slow down" or some other message.

In Hinduism, we're not always here to have fun, but rather to get closer to God. So what is helpful in that (getting closer to God) is what we look at.

Best wishes in figuring it out, and welcome to these forums. Hopefully we can be of some help.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
15 September 2011, 03:57 PM
Last winter I slipped on a sheet of ice covering my porch because I was being VERY hasty...and impatient.

I broke a bone in my foot and my toes!

Accidents happen...to us all.

If you have never been in an accident..then you were definitely due.:p

There is a story I have told here about a beloved man who kept worrying over his automobile brakes. He kept pushing down on them and testing them...and kept worrying.

One day...after he wore those brakes down from worrying over themand constantly pressing them harshly down...they broke.

Now, I am not saying bad things can't happen because of some chanting. I have never had this happen...so I can not say one way or another.

But, I am saying that sometimes if we think about something too much...we can make it come true.:p

Suny has a very wise signature here...something about being careful...that our thoughts become our words...and words our actions?

This is very very wise advice.

I hope you feel better very soon<3

Jainarayan
15 September 2011, 04:01 PM
Namaste all.

...because that way you insult krsna?

one only insults oneself, and no one can insult Krishna or shiva or simply Brahman. They always give and never take anything from me or you regardless of its being good or bad.

As charitra ji points out, the devas (gods) and devis (goddesses) are beyond being insulted. Even Maa Kali in Her fiercest battle stopped Her rampage to pick up and nurse the infant Shiva. Maa Durga kept Her sense of humor in the thick of battle with the worst demons.

he claims that if you don’t follow the rules, chanting might hurt you. I do not follow these rules and am now wondering: Is that man talking gibberish or should I stop chanting right now and just go on living my life like I always did: already happy while believing in nothing but myself?

With all due respect to ISKCONers here and elsewhere, they have some very different and strict views on things. If you are doing the chant with love and devotion, you will insult no god or goddess.

Lord Krishna says (which you can see it in my signature!): "If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it."

Also, in my experience sometimes an injury is His way of saying, "Slow down" or some other message.

Indeed, we know Lord Ganesha removes obstacles, but He also places obstacles for us to show us something or rein us in.

Ganeshprasad
15 September 2011, 04:59 PM
Pranam

Krishna is beyond three gunas how can he be insulted? as has been pointed out by others and i like what Charitra said, count your lucky star the chanting actually may have saved you from bigger disaster.
Krasna if you like i can give you a verse where he clearly says i do not take anyones punya or paap good deeds or bad.
who ever says chanting knowing or not, bring you bad luck has not realised true strength of the mantra, it is another matter if one tries to deliberating misuse it's power eventually it want have it's desired result.

Jai Shree Krishna

sm78
16 September 2011, 03:15 AM
A couple of months ago I (a non-believer)

As a non-believer and by association a rationalist, you should really look for more consitent proof than a week of bad period to blame it on one cause. :)

But I like Nayasurya won't say it can't cause problems. What I mean is it not the mantra itself, but you starting to chant it can cause problems for you. Karmic repurcations I believe are too complex, and human being is far beyond than this mortal frame being all the time under influence of a variety of subtle influences/entities (for lack of better words). That's why intial period of purification and initiation are recommended to counter all the obstacles. So there is a possibility of what you say.

But as a non-believer it is better for you not to speculate and just keep away. And if mantra, hinduism starts to interest you then perhaves go through a normal slow process of transformation with help of practioners, than randomly start chanting - even if it is something like 'hare krishna'.

devotee
16 September 2011, 04:21 AM

There are no rules to follow for chanting Lord's name which if violated can cause anyone harm. Yes, there can be a coincidence that you had an accident just when you started chanting the name of Lord. Whatever happens bad to you is due to your own past Karmas ... it never comes from chanting or not-chanting Lord's name. Chanting Lord's name can make things easy for you to bear the fruits of your bad Karmas ... like when you had an accident, you might get some help at the right opportunity.

Na Kartitvam, na Karmaani lakasya srijati prbhuh,
Na Karm-phal sanyogam, svabhavstu pravartate || (BG)

==> Neither the doership, nor the actions, not even the results arising out of the actions is created by God, it is the Nature that works.

God can make things easy for you out of compassion ... but you yourself are responsible for whatever happens to you. You must suffer the pains or enjoy happiness which are decided by your Karmas ... you have to decide whether you want to suffer all alone or with God's compassion on your side. The decision is yours.

OM

SanathanaDharma
16 September 2011, 05:44 AM
Dear Friend,

There is a very short and meaningful story which will probably apply to your case....

Once there was a king who had a very knowledgeable guru in his court...the king always used to consult his guru to understand the subtle reality of everything...once the king had a doubt regarding atheists and hence approached his guru for an answer...the king asked.."what are the effects
of activities and their results on a atheist and a pure devotee "...for which the guru requested the king to summon an atheist and a devoted person to his palace on the next day...

Next morning, an atheist and a devotee, both appeared in front of the king...the guru gave both of them a bag full of gold coins, and asked them to return back in the evening and explain what happened all day long...

Just before leaving the palace, the devotee saw a Shiva Linga in the palace, and with devotion he offered his prayers, took the blessings of the guru and started his day chanting the Holy name of God
..where as the atheist laughed at him, made fun of his devotion, claimed with ego that its only those who do not have self confidence try such antiques and started his day, filled with personal ego...

At the end of the day, the atheist reached the place first, with a big sack full of gold and jewels..
and after sometime, the devotee barely made it to the palace, which his clothes torn, wounded severely....

now, the king was extremely shocked to see this and exclaimed.."how could this happen..."
The atheist explained that on his way, near the outskirts, he saw a few travelers killed by a tiger,
and thus he found this sack lying next to them....the devotee said that he barely escaped from a tiger that was on rage, near the outskirts of the city..

the king could not understand it clearly and requested his guru..

the guru, who was a knowledgeable one with foresightedness calmly explained the following..

"this person, who is an atheist, actually was supposed to take up your position of ruling a country today...but only due to his arrogance and ego, even though he made it to the palace today, he is not the king...and he has to be satisfied with just a sack of gold where as he could have become a king...

where as the devotee had higher amount of danger
today...in fact he should have been so fatally injured that both he and his family should have suffered a great loss..instead he was protected by Parameshwara as he was constantly thinking about Him alone..."

Moral of the story...many a times we think we have what we deserved and we are happy, but in reality our ego and faithlessness in Him, actually acts as a resistor...what we think that we have achieved is only materialistic happiness, its not even a minute part of actualy bliss, because we have the resistance called ego, everything we have we think is the best....
many a times when something bad happens, we curse our luck, try to think of thousands of reasons for it, forgetting completely about our past karma...

as Sri Krishna says in Bhagavad Gita...18.58...

mac-cittah sarva-durgani
mat-prasadat tarisyasi
atha cet tvam ahankaran
na srosyasi vinanksyasi

"If you become conscious of Me, you will pass over all the obstacles of conditioned life by My grace.
If, however, you do not work in such consciousness but act through false ego, not hearing Me, you will be lost."

As many have said, one cannot insult Him and my dear friend by chanting His holy name, He has in fact saved you from something more disastrous which you cannot even imagine.... as for the accidents,
its nothing but the results of your previous deeds...because of His name and grace, the amplitude is far less than what it could have actually been....

sunyata07
18 September 2011, 03:00 PM
Namaste,

That is indeed a strange question coming from someone who professes to be a non-believer! Do you really think chanting a mantra could cause all these calamities to happen to you? I think others may have different opinions on this - no two people will hold the same beliefs about mantra use, but I have the same stance as many of the others who answered here in saying that in no way could a mantra ever harm somebody. TBTL was saying that some ISKCONers may have different beliefs about who can or can't use the Hare Krishna mantra. I believe they follow a very strict path of pure faith and devotion, which would not be suitable for sceptics or those of wavering belief in Sri Krishna.

The only way I feel it could ever have a negative effect on the chanter is if for reason the individual harbours intensely dark or malicious thoughts (either about himself or others around him), perhaps from karma in a past life or deeply ingrained negative samskaras in this current lifetime. As Nayasurya and sm78 were saying: sometimes when the karma is ripe (even thoughts can set up conditions for "bad" things), unhappy events seem to just happen, which is why it is so important to be mentally ready to use the mantra to gain from it the fullest beneficial effect possible. In body, mind and soul you are fully prepared to use the mantra as a tool to unbind all your past karmas and work your way to the feet of Bhagavan, the Supreme Universal Being.

Om namah Shivaya

yajvan
18 September 2011, 06:04 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

From a past post...

Some say there are 70 million mantra-s; This is called out in the Mālinīvijayottara tantra (1.18). Later the book calls out that Śiva has appointed 35 million mantras for use. Others say each word of the veda is a mantra ( which is true when one understands the word in full) . In any case there are many more mantras available then one individual may make use of.

Now, there is a body of knowledge called mantra-śastra. Within that body there is ṣaḍkarma ( some write ṣaṭkarma) meaning 6 actions or intent (purpose) of mantra-s. Are there others? Yes, but for this post let me offer the following.

Here are the 6

śānti - peace. Mantra-s for general well being, and removing one from the cycle of rebirth.
vaśīkāran or vaśīkāra - bringing into control; subjugation; We see the word vaśī + kāra : vaśī or holding others in submission to the will + kāra making , doing , working , a maker ; Some may call this vidheya - to make obedient.
This was called out above . Mantra-s used to captivate another with-or-without their knowing.
stambhanam or stambha - fixedness , stiffness , rigidity ,paralysis , stupefaction . This is for creating obstructions.
vidveśana vid + veśana - vid to get or procure for + veśana - that act of entering ; one can consider veśī or piercing. This mantra type creates a split ( or difference ~ dissention) between others ( people, groups, etc).
ucchatanā ucca + tanā : ucca is high , lofty , elevated , yet also intense , violent + tanā uninterrupted succession ; This mantra type is for creating aversion between others ( people, groups, etc.)
marana or mara dying , death. From this word you can see this mantra type is death-causing.Some may be using a mantra and not know its influence and this can bring the wrong influence (cause mischief) , even though the intent was well-meant. Others may be using a mantra with no results, it is dead. What do I mean?

Mantra-s need to be enlivened , brought to life and there are multiple 'features' to this which I choose not to lay out. But that said, the value of receiving a mantra from a proper instructor ( teacher, guru, etc.) is of great value; Given by the guru this enlivening process has been accomplished and the mantra is ready for application.

What is needed is the proper application and purascarana (number of repetitions) for siddhi ( sidh = to turn out well i.e. success).
This is the value of teacher-student ( guru-śiṣya ) relationship, as the guru brings the knowledge of the paramparā (tradition, lineage) to use in the proper mantra application.

praṇām

Shivasati
24 September 2011, 12:54 PM
A good day to all...

Thanks Yajvan for the information........its always welcomed. I still cant make sense of it...........how could the chanting of Shri Krishna's name with Rama fall into any of the categories which was listed? The first one maybe for peace, but the part where "removing oneself from the cycle of birth and death" scares me.

About a year ago, a friend's brother was in an accident. He was going to the temple on an auspicious occasion to give offerings. On his way there, a car came speeding and hit him. He catapulted and was in the hospital in a coma for about a week. When we were talking (my friend & I) about him before he died, she said one thing to me which made me confused, but then I just let it go....until I saw this thread. She said that lately he was praying alot and was so into it that he was more than his usual quiet self.

Personally, I don't believe that by chanting God's name will bring harm to anyone.
We all know that there is darkness and light, good and bad, big and small, but these are all relative.
But then those types of mantras which Yajvan listed exist. What are they like? Is God called upon in these mantras?:confused:

Oh dear!

R Gitananda
26 September 2011, 03:26 PM
Namaste

There are a lot of different teachings within Sanatana Dharma.
As they are not all congruous with one another you will have
to choose which to put your faith in. That choice will have a
bearing on the kind of consciousness you develop.

Your friends brother had an auspicious thing upon his mind
when he was in the accident and put into a coma. His deepened
spirituality leading up to this was undoubtedly prompted by the
Self within who knows the measure of each mans life.

There was someone that I was very fond of who lived near the
ISKCON temple in Los Angeles. He was told in no uncertain
terms that his end was near. He shared this with his wife and
decided to take some months off from his business to go to
India and chant in holy places.

A short time later he was on the freeway traveling to San Diego
on business with an associate. A large truck suddenly shifted into
his lane. He had to swerve hard to avoid it and unfortunately his
vehicle careened out of control and veered off the freeway.
The paramedics said he was mumbling the same thing over
and over again until he died. Have faith in the teachings
of the Bhagavad Gita.

Aum Shanti

A good day to all...

Thanks Yajvan for the information........its always welcomed. I still cant make sense of it...........how could the chanting of Shri Krishna's name with Rama fall into any of the categories which was listed? The first one maybe for peace, but the part where "removing oneself from the cycle of birth and death" scares me.

About a year ago, a friend's brother was in an accident. He was going to the temple on an auspicious occasion to give offerings. On his way there, a car came speeding and hit him. He catapulted and was in the hospital in a coma for about a week. When we were talking (my friend & I) about him before he died, she said one thing to me which made me confused, but then I just let it go....until I saw this thread. She said that lately he was praying alot and was so into it that he was more than his usual quiet self.

Personally, I don't believe that by chanting God's name will bring harm to anyone.
We all know that there is darkness and light, good and bad, big and small, but these are all relative.
But then those types of mantras which Yajvan listed exist. What are they like? Is God called upon in these mantras?:confused:

Oh dear!

Mestreech
29 September 2011, 08:11 AM
Hi everybody!

First of all, my apologies for not answering to your replies. I really appreciate the information I´ve been offered by you.

The past two weeks I did alot of thinking (not overthinking). To be honest I think those accidents actually needed to happen in order to regroup myself. The weeks before the accidents consisted of mainly partying, drinking alot and really living down to the standards of a healthy life. Not only the weeks before, but actually my whole life was really not good for me. This was my life, just a summary of my standards back then: I never ate vegetables or fruit, only ´delicious´ food that contained alot of fat and sugar and really bad additions. I never drank tea of other natural drinks, only cola and soda. I never really did any sports, had barely any hobbies, I never read any books and most nights I didn´t even make it to 5 hours of sleep. I drank heavily at least once a week and I experimented with drugs alot.
I just didn´t care. The fact that I only got ill once in 2 years made me think I didn´t need all the healthy stuff.

That was my life untill 2 weeks ago and I lived like that for about ten years. In the past two weeks I realized I wasn´t going to live very long this way. It was as if my consciousness suddenly woke up after being asleep for way too long.

My injuries seem to heal extremely well. The pain I went through is almost gone and I am really really!! looking forward to bettering my life. As a matter of fact, here in front of me lies a piece of paper that contains information about what I should improove, how I could improove it and why I should improove it. In short:
- no more of that bodydestroying food and drinks, only every once in a while to remind me of how nasty it actually is.
- Eat food that comes from the earth, that is what a human is supposed to eat. Try to avoid food with alot of additions, try to eat as pure as posible
- Read something informational everyday
- Instead of watching TV all day, play guitar and get at least half an hour of exercise every day.
- Instead of passing school just barely without any efford, try to excell at it. I have it in me.
- Take at least twenty minutes a day to be conscious about myself. By lack of better words: Use those twenty minutes in order to sort everything out and stay balanced/spiritually healthy

And the list goes on and on and on. I didn't hear these things on TV or read them on the internet, I came up with it by myself.

I'm happy to tell you that these are not just intentions. I have been living up to these new standards for a week now. I always thought I was happy and I was, but I could have never imagined that I could get this 'high on life' as we speak. I enjoy every shower, every walk through the park and every conversation that I have. In fact, this week I got alot of compliments about my behaviour and about just being me from practically strangers at school and teachers for instance.

I honestly think that it MIGHT have something to do with the chanting back then. As if it made me go 'back to the basics' and started to take myself seriously, something I never did before. Yet I don't feel comfortable chanting something I don't commit/devote to. So I am now searching for a new way to help me keep, expand and if the situation asks for it regain this conciousness. Because you see, I think I can never convince myself that there is a God, a Him or anything that comes close to a godlike entity. Yet I am open to it and will never say that it does not exist, I just don't believe it excists eather.

Is there anyone here that has some suggestions on how to improve this conciousness or other tips that can help me out in life generally?

I have to say that I'm possitively surprised by the amount of help and helpfull information you all shared with me. Once again I genuinely thank you for that.

With kind regards,

Mestreech

R Gitananda
30 September 2011, 01:30 AM
Namaste

- no more of that bodydestroying food and drinks, only every once in a while to remind me of how nasty it actually is.
- Eat food that comes from the earth, that is what a human is supposed to eat. Try to avoid food with alot of additions, try to eat as pure as posible
- Read something informational everyday
- Instead of watching TV all day, play guitar and get at least half an hour of exercise every day.
- Instead of passing school just barely without any efford, try to excell at it. I have it in me.
- Take at least twenty minutes a day to be conscious about myself. By lack of better words: Use those twenty minutes in order to sort everything out and stay balanced/spiritually healthy

And the list goes on and on and on.

What you described sounds positive - keep it up!

I think I can never convince myself that there is a God, a Him or anything that comes close to a godlike entity. Yet I am open to it and will never say that it does not exist, I just don't believe it excists eather.

Here is a thread that explores the question 'Does God exist?' http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7243

Hari Aum

Shivasati
30 September 2011, 01:56 PM
Hello to all,

Mestreesch, I am so happy for you. Don't worry about putting a handle to God.............the way I see it, you received a miracle! Sometimes in life we just have to say "thank you" and try our very best to stay on a positive path and keep on going.:)

Your initial post made for good conversation, and R Gitananda is so right when he/she said "....prompted by the the Self who knows the measure of each man's life".

I hope you stick to your new way of life and that someday you will be able to say that yes, there is a God! And even if not, at least your life's stories will tell..................and I have a feeling there is much more to come.

Mestreech
03 October 2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks to you all. Things have really gotten more clear to me. I found a way to put everything in perspective. Finally I remember what it is all about and what's prior to all the rest.

The idea I had of chanting affecting one negatively is no longer on my mind. Though I will not continue chanting again. One day I might, but for now there is enough to process for my mind and I want to make sure that I don't deal with these things just halfway through.

Haha, it kinda helps that the sun has been shining for over a week now at about 25 degrees celsius every day. Where I live that is very rear in oktober. I notice that a clear air can help to get a clear mind. Though that last thing might be due the fact that I started meditating a few days ago. My life really made a 180 degree turn and whatever is guilty for that, I thank 'it'!

I wish you a very nice day and may 'it' be kind to you all :)

With kind regards,

Mestreech