PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake hits Himalayas

Jainarayan
20 September 2011, 01:30 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/09/earthquake-hits-india-nepal-ti.html

So far, 55 people have been killed and over 100,000 homes have been damaged across the region.

The epicentre of the quake was beneath the small Indian state of Sikkim, but the effects were also felt in neighbouring Tibet and Nepal.

One person dead is one too many.

Arjuni
21 September 2011, 04:27 PM
Namasté,

That's awful...and the death toll keeps climbing as the news becomes more updated, too. :(

It continually astonishes me how little we hear, in the West, about tragic events that happen in Asia. If that earthquake's epicentre had been in California, the news would be choking the airwaves right now.

Heh...thank goodness I'm not going to Nepal in November or anything like that... :laughs nervously: :goes to hide in a corner:

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Jainarayan
21 September 2011, 04:55 PM
Namasté,

That's awful...and the death toll keeps climbing as the news becomes more updated, too. :(

I thought it would. I haven't seen an update yet. I don't know that I want to. :(

It continually astonishes me how little we hear, in the West, about tragic events that happen in Asia. If that earthquake's epicentre had been in California, the news would be choking the airwaves right now.

Heh...thank goodness I'm not going to Nepal in November or anything like that... :laughs nervously: :goes to hide in a corner:

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

That whole area is so seismically active, as the article said. I remember a pretty bad earthquake in Goa some years ago. In some parts of Asia the buildings are literally just bricks stacked on top of each other. Remember the Armenian quakes? Just awful.

You're right... even the small quake 5.8 we had here on the east coast a few weeks ago made headlines. :rolleyes:

Eastern Mind
21 September 2011, 05:40 PM
It continually astonishes me how little we hear, in the West, about tragic events that happen in Asia.

Vannakkam: Asia? Try Africa. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14785304 Earthquakes are acts of nature. Famines, although related to droughts, can generally be prevented.

Aum Namasivaya