PDA

View Full Version : Durga Saptashloki "presentation"?

elliotts
27 September 2011, 08:06 PM
namaste,

I have a quick question that if anyone could provided some insight into would be greatly appreaciated.

In almost every recording of the Saptashloki, there is this "presentation" (I am only calling it that because I dont know what else to and have heard it referenced to as that once) that praises Kali , Lakshmi , Sarasvati , and Durga .

Here is a great example of what im talking about, sung very beautifully by Sri Karunamayi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ITcJD11Q5w

So, where does this come from? is it just something traditionally done before recitating f the Saptashloki, in which each person has there own "opener"?
There is no mention of this in the version of Devi Mahatmyam that I own (In praise of the Goddess) in either the transliteration, sanskrit, or commentary

please, enlighten me

Jai Maha Durga Ma namo stute !.

JaiMaaDurga
30 September 2011, 08:26 PM
Namaste elliotts,

First of all, welcome to HDF; I hope you will find it as stimulating as I have.

Secondly, in regard to your question- I am certainly no expert, and am not familiar with the particular version you mention, but in my understanding of Devi Mahatmyam, Prathama Charitram has Devi attributed in the form of Maha Kali, Madhyama Charitram has Devi attributed in the form of Maha Lakshmi, and Uttama Charitram has Devi attributed in the form of Maha Saraswati. There has been much written concerning Maa and Her aspects, attributes, names, and so forth by many persons, some from a purely academic standpoint, some from deep bhakti, and even some who wish to direct people's hearts away from devotion to Devi.

In short, I would humbly recommend you learn as much as you can- but with a discerning eye, both for the source of information/intent of said source, but most importantly, for the truth behind your own seeking:)

Hopefully this has been helpful to you,

JAI MATA DI

shian
30 September 2011, 09:42 PM
I need the book or article that explain whole of Devi Mahatmyam.
Not only read it like a story.

Divine Kala
11 October 2011, 03:32 PM
Shian ji

There are several books written by Devadatta Kali which explain the Devi Mahatmyam. One of them includes the sanskrit romanisation and the English version with in depth explanations of what is meant.

internationalhindu
11 October 2011, 05:17 PM
Dear elliots

I presume you must be asking about the 'dhyana slokas' mentioned before chanting of the actual Devi Mahatmya...Dhyana slokas are prayers that are chanted to invoke the god/godess before we perform the actual task (which is reciting the Devi Mahatmya in your case)...hence the slokas used for this purpose may vary depending on the publisher of the book...the dhyana slokas request the godess to accept our prayers and also is something that you may compare to a 'warm-up'...after the dhyana slokas, you may perform the actual chanting of the devi Mahatmya...you may also find differences in the end of the scripture in some books...this is because the end contains the 'phalashruti' or the list of benefits obtained through reading the scripture...this also keeps varying depending on the publisher....

Om

shian
11 October 2011, 08:28 PM
Shian ji

There are several books written by Devadatta Kali which explain the Devi Mahatmyam. One of them includes the sanskrit romanisation and the English version with in depth explanations of what is meant.

Namaste, Divine Kala ji

Thank you, i will search the book :)
You are from Australia ? there have Devi Temple ?