PDA

View Full Version : Is guru strictly necessary for practicing Bhakti-yoga?

orlando
29 September 2011, 02:44 PM
Namaste.

I believe that Bhakti-yoga is one of the easties yoga paths.
I also believe that,unlike more difficult yoga paths(like raja-yoga),a bhakti yoga does not need strictly a guru.

Do you agree?

Mana
29 September 2011, 04:37 PM
Namaste.

I believe that Bhakti-yoga is one of the easties yoga paths.
I also believe that,unlike more difficult yoga paths(like raja-yoga),a bhakti yoga does not need strictly a guru.

Do you agree?

Namasté Bhakta of God,

These are my thoughts on the matter; thank you for asking.

bhakti may be the fastest route; but by no means easy.

With out a Guru, how will you know when tamas guna is upon you? At times we can all become deluded.

Against what will you measure your reason?

A guru is not easy to find, however we all need satsang to remain aware of our predominant nature; satva / Raja / tama.

Traditionally, it is the Guru who ordains our sAdhana, what a waste it would be if you were ready for a higher path, yet you didn't realise?
We can not easily prescribe for our selves the best rout, the path can be at times treacherous with many thorns and pitfalls.
With that said. The thoughts and advice of a good friend can be just as helpful.
Or just time spent amongst others on the same, or similar paths.
This I am sure that you can find in a Temple or a church.

For your consideration; here are two Sanskrit translations of the word bhakti, one masculine the other feminine. I humbly advise that you consider this linguistic anomaly present here; to my mind, it is in the English interpretation.

bhakti m : attachment

bhakti f : separation

Nice to meet you Bhakta of God.

praNAma.

mana

devotee
29 September 2011, 09:29 PM
Is guru strictly necessary for practicing Bhakti-yoga?

No.

OM

Ramakrishna
30 September 2011, 10:33 PM
Namaste Bhakta of God,

No, a guru is strictly necessary for anything, although having a guru can be highly beneficial for certain devotees on their spiritual journey.

Jai Sri Ram

crystalbarvya
15 November 2011, 04:16 AM
YES I AGREE MAN. THIS Bhakti-yoga is one of the easy yoga

c.smith
15 November 2011, 01:21 PM
Hari Om!

Unlike the others that have posted above, I differ in my views.

From my personal experience, my realization came that I don't have to work through this burden alone. Without proper direction, how am I to get from here to there? First I must open my eyes, second I must have a map, then I must trust the map, follow it, etc. I use this analogy often.

If I'm not mistaken, even in bhakti yoga one must choose a mantra or Lord's name to recite. What better way than to have an enlightened individual give diksha and guru mantra? How about choosing the path which is best for bhakta to serve?

Just some ideas to consider.

Om Namah Sivaya
Jai Hanuman!