PDA

View Full Version : What is the first Shankara's book to be read?

orlando
01 October 2011, 01:03 PM
Namaste.

Now I am very interested about Advaita Vedata.
In order to understand better this fascinating philosohy,which Sri Adi Shankara's book should I read first?

P.S:sorry for my low english.

devotee
01 October 2011, 10:18 PM
Namaste Bhakta,

ShankarachArya wrote bhAshya (commentary) on Upanishads, Brahmasutras which contain the core of his teachings. ShankarachArya didn't invent anything new. He elaborated upon what already was there in the Hindu ShAstras.

A student of Advaita Vedanta must do a deep study of Upanishads. I would advise you to start with these two Upanishads :

a) KathA Upanishad or Kathopanishad with Shankaracharya's commentary
b) MAndukya Upanishad with ShankarachArya's commentary and GaudApad KArikA

Read these two Upanishads again and again till your doubts are dissolved.

OM

wundermonk
02 October 2011, 01:36 AM
As mentioned by Devotee, AFTER the Upanishads, you should approach Shankara's Brahmasutra Bhashya.

Multiple sub-commentaries on this Bhashya are available.

Here (http://www.bharatadesam.com/spiritual/brahma_sutra/brahma_sutra_sankara_index.php) is one that I found doing an online google search.

Having a hard copy for reference always helps.

The Ramakrishna Matt publishes many books (http://www.chennaimath.org/estore/philosophy/advaita-vedanta) on Advaita Vedanta.

Cosinuskurve
06 December 2011, 12:28 PM
Shankara's Bhagavad Gita commentary.

yajvan
06 December 2011, 02:54 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Studying and reading is noble, good and uplifting. Yet if it is done without the practice of touching the subject they talk about (Being, uttara, satta, etc) then the words would not come to life. It will be all academic.

So then some say, I have no need to study - put all my attention on practice. This too does not result in the full picture. It is knowledge and experience that brings you to the city one is traveling to.

praṇām

brahman
18 January 2012, 05:32 AM
Namaste.

Now I am very interested about Advaita Vedata.
In order to understand better this fascinating philosohy,which Sri Adi Shankara's book should I read first?

P.S:sorry for my low english.

Dear BoG,

Vivekachudamani (विवेकचूडामणि), Crest Jewel of Viveka, composed by Sri. Adi Sankara, is meant to be both scientifically precise and capable of being chanted as an elevating scripture, is the most important entrance to the quest for the secrets of Advaita Vedanta.

Please find a copy here (http://www.scribd.com/doc/35482085/Vivekachudamani-English-Translation-of-Adi-Shankaracharya%E2%80%99s-Vivekachoodamani)(1921, Swami Madhavananda, Advaita Ashram , Mayavti, Almora,Himalayas)love:)

karthikm
23 January 2012, 02:57 AM
I would suggest to read "Tattva Bodha" by Adi Sankara. It gives an overview about the various sanskrit terms used in vedanta. The book is generally considered to be a beginner's book. Ramakrishna math has published a book with some nice illustrations. You might also find many articles in the internet.

orlando
01 December 2018, 07:28 AM
A student of Advaita Vedanta must do a deep study of Upanishads.

Only the Upanishads commented by Sri Shankaracarya or also those that he didn't comment?