PDA

View Full Version : Manthara: Good or Bad?

Eric11235
02 October 2011, 09:33 AM
Vannakam,

Manthara as we all know if kaikeyi's maid who convinces her to ask for the boon which Dasaratha regrets for the rest of his life.

Now my question to you all. Is Manthara an evil maid or a divine catalyst?

I ask you not to shoot down the question immediately because there is something to consider with regards to her. Her motives are never truly made clear in the poem and while what she does is undoubtedly a bad move, had she not made it, Rama's purpose on earth would not have been achieved (to slay Ravana).

Something to ponder

Namaste

sm78
02 October 2011, 12:55 PM
Vannakam,

Manthara as we all know if kaikeyi's maid who convinces her to ask for the boon which Dasaratha regrets for the rest of his life.

I ask you not to shoot down the question immediately because there is something to consider with regards to her. Her motives are never truly made clear in the poem and while what she does is undoubtedly a bad move, had she not made it, Rama's purpose on earth would not have been achieved (to slay Ravana).

Something to ponder

Namaste

On contrary, you leave nothing to ponder about. This way of reasoning is quite popular, and I don't oppose it at all. However, in this manner every event is pre-determined lila of God and there is no point questioning about anything or anyone's actions in the epics. The epics then become tools to be absorbed in bhakti for Ram or Krishna - as I said quite popular and acceptable way to interpret these shastras in Hinduism.

However, if you want to analyze a character, you have to look his/her motivations and actions. Our karma is generated by the desirous actions, not by the actions themselves. I don't know why this point gets missed all the time, inspite so much talk of yoga, karma all the time. Mere physical events don't consititute karmic bondage - events have always happened and will continue to happen indefinitely. So what was Manthara's desire behind her actions? I see her quite a recognizable character even in present day world ... one who just wants to light fires, enjoy seeing misfortune and quarrell. It does not benefit them, nor it is always done with personal benefit in mind - but griha kalaha is just too attractive for them. I don't see the reason for describing the psychology and desires of such characters here unecessarily.

yajvan
02 October 2011, 03:17 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

If we go by name only it is pretty incriminating. This name mantharā is defined as ' slow in', lazy , tardy , indolent , dull , stupid , silly; low, hollow, bent , curved , crooked . The curved and crooked obviously depicts mantharā's physical frame as manthara is also a name of a tortoise . Hence the unfortunate hump back.

An associated word is mantha means agitating, churing. This is exactly what she did.

praṇām

devotee
02 October 2011, 09:34 PM
On contrary, you leave nothing to ponder about. This way of reasoning is quite popular, and I don't oppose it at all. However, in this manner every event is pre-determined lila of God and there is no point questioning about anything or anyone's actions in the epics. The epics then become tools to be absorbed in bhakti for Ram or Krishna - as I said quite popular and acceptable way to interpret these shastras in Hinduism.

However, if you want to analyze a character, you have to look his/her motivations and actions. Our karma is generated by the desirous actions, not by the actions themselves. I don't know why this point gets missed all the time, inspite so much talk of yoga, karma all the time. Mere physical events don't consititute karmic bondage - events have always happened and will continue to happen indefinitely. So what was Manthara's desire behind her actions? I see her quite a recognizable character even in present day world ... one who just wants to light fires, enjoy seeing misfortune and quarrell. It does not benefit them, nor it is always done with personal benefit in mind - but griha kalaha is just too attractive for them. I don't see the reason for describing the psychology and desires of such characters here unecessarily.

Very well said, SM ! :)

OM

anisha_astrologer
22 December 2011, 12:08 AM
many stories say that manthara was indeed saraswati mata who was sent in her form to misguide Kaikeyi so that she could become the means for Lord Ram to fulfill his purpose on earth.:)