PDA

View Full Version : Milestones

saidevo
11 October 2011, 03:54 AM
namaste everyone.

Let us use this thread for specific milestones reached by members in their postings at HDF:

Congratulations EM for crossing the 50,000 points of reputation and maintaing the lead for a few months now!

Satay might prefer to give us a few stat in this regard: who has got max number of posts, when the 100, 1000 and 2000 counts of membership were achieved, and so on.

devotee
11 October 2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks to Saidevo ji for noticing this !

Congrats, EM ! Keep it up !! :)

OM

Eastern Mind
11 October 2011, 08:58 AM
Vannakkam: Thanks guys but its not a race. Mostly I'm retired so I get to sit here and punch away aimlessly all day. Saidevo would be ahead had it not been for him specifically requesting not to give points. Devotee has close to my number with far fewer posts.

I was on some other forum where a group got together and just kept giving each other points until it got out of hand and the moderators had to just shut that part of the forum down. So its all a bit silly, isn't it? If we could only take points away!:)

I do like the milestones idea. Maybe for sharing milestones in life. Like anniversaries or graduations or marriages ... Or weight loss, or quitting cigarettes, or having grandchildren, or becoming full vegetarian. Or passing the hundred temple mark in number of temples you've been to. I was thinking about that, and its somewhere around 50 for me.)

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
11 October 2011, 09:50 AM
Namaste,

Congratulations EM. Keep those post-retirement posts, full of a lifetime of wisdom, keep coming!

Pranam.

devotee
11 October 2011, 10:43 AM
Vannakkam: Thanks guys but its not a race. Mostly I'm retired so I get to sit here and punch away aimlessly all day. Saidevo would be ahead had it not been for him specifically requesting not to give points. Devotee has close to my number with far fewer posts.

I was on some other forum where a group got together and just kept giving each other points until it got out of hand and the moderators had to just shut that part of the forum down. So its all a bit silly, isn't it? If we could only take points away!:)

I do like the milestones idea. Maybe for sharing milestones in life. Like anniversaries or graduations or marriages ... Or weight loss, or quitting cigarettes, or having grandchildren, or becoming full vegetarian. Or passing the hundred temple mark in number of temples you've been to. I was thinking about that, and its somewhere around 50 for me.)

Aum Namasivaya

You know EM, most of the times, trivial things bring lots of joy ... if we give it importance. There has to be some reason to make merry. Let's not be so serious & start examining it all too critically. ... ... and this does mean something unique about your presentation of thoughts here and how your words have affected people on this forum. This is a great thing, EM ! If am able to make even one life happier and meaningful ... I think this body/mind has served its purpose of being here in this world.

This is absolutely fit occasion to celebrate it ! :) I don't take tea ... but I think I can celebrate by taking tea for a change !!

OM

saidevo
11 October 2011, 12:00 PM
namaste EM.

Yes, this is a milestone: not the one you strive to cross but one that you take on your stride; such milestones are important too. Think about the members here and the reading public out there, specially people seeking Hindu Dharma for their spiritual life, who have benefited from your 4000-plus posts, most of them with a purpose. I have learned many things from you, specially the benign attitude. So don't feel saMkochaka--shrinking, when good work is lauded. Same way, let us watch the others close to the mark and celebrate it.

Eastern Mind
11 October 2011, 01:04 PM
I don't take tea ... but I think I can celebrate by taking tea for a change !!

OM

Vannakkam: Enjoy the tea then. :) We toured the coffee plantation on Kauai, and they had a tasting area, like for tea. You're supposed to spit it out after tasting, but I drank it because I'm so cheap. Then later they said the tasting coffee was brewed especially strong so the tasters could get a real decent taste. I didn't sleep all that well that night. I wonder why.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
16 October 2011, 08:43 PM
Vannakkam All:

Congratulations Devotee, on hitting the 50 000 mark! In far fewer posts then EM. Wishing you a long and healthy life on HDF.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
16 October 2011, 08:51 PM
Congratulations Devotee, on hitting the 50 000 mark! In far fewer posts then EM. Wishing you a long and healthy life on HDF.

Thanks EM ! It also shows that I am, perhaps, getting into bondage of this forum ! :)

OM

Eastern Mind
16 October 2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks EM ! It also shows that I am, perhaps, getting into bondage of this forum ! :)

OM

Vannakkam: You too?

But here is a REAL life milestone I will share. Today we were driving a long 12 hour drive home from visiting my daughter. This God-forsaken country is so empty. In India I could have stopped at 20 Hindu temples. So we did stop at an Indian restaurant in the only larger city on the route, about 5 hours from home. But then the milestone ... another weird and eerie serendipity bit. ...

We stop for gas in a town of about 6000 people. Nobody around, empty restaurant ... only person we see is the clerk ... but get this ... she's Hindu! There is a Shirdi Sai picture with Maa Durga on the wall behind her. I inquire about number of Hindus there.. she says there are 3 other families but they're Sikh. So as far as she knows her family is the ONLY Hindu. But here's the real kicker. This place is my HOME town ... the one I grew up in and moved away from 40 years ago. So I feel like its a sign... Ganesha saying ... You finally made it. Even your chance meetings are with Hindus.

Aum Namasivaya

saidevo
18 October 2011, 12:11 PM
namaste.

Congrats Devotee, on the 50 grand, with much less posts as EM put it!

EM, that was a touching account; you are blessed: 'Even your chance meetings are with Hindus'.

Believer
18 October 2011, 12:57 PM
Namaste,

Even your chance meetings are with Hindus
To me that is also a testament to the civility of the Canadian people. In the US, the skinheads and the rednecks would make it very difficult for minorities to survive in small towns, unless you are a doctor and they have to accept you for their own good. A couple of months back, two elderly sikh gentlemen with turbans, out on their morning walk in a suburb of Sacramento, California were shot at by a nin-cum-poop, who mistook them to be Talibanis. One of them died in the attack. A real disgrace.

Pranam.

Eastern Mind
18 October 2011, 01:23 PM
Namaste,

To me that is also a testament to the civility of the Canadian people. In the US, the skinheads and the rednecks would make it very difficult for minorities to survive in small towns, unless you are a doctor and they have to accept you for their own good. A couple of months back, two elderly sikh gentlemen with turbans, out on their morning walk in a suburb of Sacramento, California were shot at by a nin-cum-poop, who mistook them to be Talibanis. One of them died in the attack. A real disgrace.

Pranam.

Vannakkam Believer: Yes its true. Historically we've had a policy of multiculturalism called the Canadian Mosaic. In the US its more of a melting pot. Unfortunately our current government leans more your way. We have 400 000 people here called 'temporary workers' who have less rights than the rest of us, and many don't know it. Quite sad. Government policy allows it. Reminds me of the archaic head tax on the Chinese. We'll use you for our purposes and then go home.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
18 October 2011, 10:36 PM
Congrats Devotee, on the 50 grand, with much less posts as EM put it!

Thanks Saidevo ji ! :)

Even your chance meetings are with Hindus
EM, I think there is nothing "by chance" here. Somewhere they are all related to our Karmas, I think.

OM

Adhvagat
18 October 2011, 10:43 PM
Congratulations to everyone in this thread for being 10x more knowledgeable than I am, 10x more humble and maybe even 10x older... :p (Ok, I may go to hell for slipping that joke into my compliment post and disrespecting my elders).

You guys are the reason I found this site. Om

devotee
18 October 2011, 10:47 PM
Congratulations to everyone in this thread for being 10x more knowledgeable than I am, 10x more humble and maybe even 10x older... :p (Ok, I may go to hell for slipping that joke into my compliment post and disrespecting my elders).

You guys are the reason I found this site. Om

10x ? Will you consider reducing it a little ... it is a bit frightening to me. :)

OM

Adhvagat
18 October 2011, 10:47 PM
Well, perhaps Ayurveda is really working for you. :D

Eastern Mind
19 October 2011, 07:27 AM
Vannakkam Pietro: Chronological age has nothing to do with it. I've learned much on here from people like you. But its a mindset ... drop the chronological age and view it from soul age perspective. Of course that's not so obvious. Soul bodies don't get grey hair and wrinkles. At least I don't think so.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
26 October 2011, 07:09 PM
Namasté,

One week from today, I leave Canada for Nepal and India. My first trip, and I will certainly be crossing many miles and many stones to get there...!

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
26 October 2011, 07:19 PM
Namasté,

One week from today, I leave Canada for Nepal and India. My first trip, and I will certainly be crossing many miles and many stones to get there...!

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Vannakkam Indraneela:: Please do keep a journal and share it with us. Can you give us a brief outline of THE PLAN?

On another note: Congratulations Nayasurya, on reaching the 50 000 milestone. Your humble mystical words reach a lot of us.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
26 October 2011, 07:42 PM
Namasté,

I'm continually delighted by watching others' feedback rise in the forum; all of your words mean a great deal to me. Truthfully, there aren't points enough to reward what I learn here!

EM, quick summary: will be starting in Nepal for the Vedic Society's somayajña (http://www.vedicsociety.org/somayagya-nepal-2011-c-209_292_321.html). (I have never yet heard Vedic chanting or seen such ritual before, in person instead of via recording. I am more excited than a four-year-old with a birthday cake.) It'll be Nov 6 to 11, and staying over in Kathmandu a few extra days for temple-going there.

After, the general-list-of-places-to-go is Haridwar-Bangalore-Suchindram-Arunachala-Pondicherry, with Srikakulam and Chintpurni at the end if there's time. (Nothing is completely certain beyond Nepal, since some of this itinerary may be changed or cut due to time.) It'll be 14 days in Nepal, 21 days in India.

I certainly do plan to keep a journal; before I leave, I'll post my blog URL in the Canteen and then just update the blog whenever opportunity allows. :)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

devotee
26 October 2011, 10:52 PM
Congrats, NayaSurya ! :)

OM

Friend from the West
27 October 2011, 04:45 AM
Namaste,
Congratulations Indraneela. Please have safe travels and remain like four year old :) . Will look forward to your blog.
NayaSurya, thanks so much for what you have shared to this point. Your thoughts and interaction has obviously been appreciated by the HDF family, including myself. Look forward to your posts each time.

OM Shanti
FFTW

satay
27 October 2011, 09:19 AM
namaste,

Namasté,

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Wow! I wish you a pleasant journey. Tell us all about your trip. Hopefully you are going in a group or else beware of pick-pocketers and when paying for something always bargain. :)

Eastern Mind
27 October 2011, 09:46 AM
namaste,

Wow! I wish you a pleasant journey. Tell us all about your trip. Hopefully you are going in a group or else beware of pick-pocketers and when paying for something always bargain. :)

Vannakkam: I found so this funny in its terseness. Satay's two biggies in the 'Watch Out in India!" list. Pretty good actually ... thieves and touts.

Mine would be: Drink bottled water ALL the time, and go easy on the street food.

Hopefully, you've read some stuff at Indiamike.

Aum Namasivaya

saidevo
31 October 2011, 08:51 AM
namaste everyone.

As my modem crashed in last week's late night thunderstorm (not much winds, but heavy lightning and rains), I couldn't access the Net for almost a week. Congratulations to NayaSurya for crossing the 50K mark! It's always rewarding to read your posts that are usually replete with personal experiences.

Congrats and best wishes to Indraneela for her maiden trip to India. Amazing to note that IN has set a record: 43K-plus rep points for 300-plus posts, that means over 100 points per post! Congrats again: I should perhaps browse all those posts again and see if I missed learning anything in them.

Friend from the West
31 October 2011, 07:13 PM
Namaste,
Congratulations Yajvan and thanks to you!!!
Thanks as well to all of you who have come before people like me to help make the path more fruitful. Each of you of the 50,000 club, with deep appreciation for your different styles, please keep marching on with your lights shining forth. (I am being selfish, I do not like stubbing my toes).

OM Shanti,
FFTW

devotee
31 October 2011, 09:34 PM
Welcome to the 50K+ club, Yajvan ji !

OM

saidevo
31 October 2011, 10:13 PM
namaste Yajvan.

Most of us have always considered you to be the most accomplished spiritually here. It's heartening to note that your messages have got due recognition and reputation. Congrats on reaching the 50K milestone!

Eastern Mind
01 November 2011, 06:29 AM
Vannakkam Yajvan: It seems oddly significant astrologically that you landed on exactly the 50 000 mark. I intuit it has something to do with accuracy, which seems to be an inherent trait in you. Best wishes!

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
01 November 2011, 01:25 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Thank you all for your kind words of appreciation. May we all become dhīra.

praṇām

1. dhīra - intelligent, wise, steady , constant , firm , resolute , brave , of good conduct ; the ocean.

satay
13 December 2011, 01:05 PM
namaste,
Sorry about the delayed response but here are some stats (user, date joined, number of posts), see attached.

Satay might prefer to give us a few stat in this regard: who has got max number of posts, when the 100, 1000 and 2000 counts of membership were achieved, and so on.

Friend from the West
27 December 2011, 10:18 PM
Hari Om

Namaste to all.

Congratulations Indraneela! I know I am newcomer, but welcome to the group of others who lead the path for portions as me. It is an honored group that you join, and I wish to offer my thank you for all that you contribute.

I love the Introduction section and when joined this forum, remember that you were on welcoming committee:) . Much gratitude for the simple and profound offerings from you, in that all are the same, beautiful.

Om Shanti.

FFTW.

Believer
28 December 2011, 05:58 AM
Namaste,

Indraneela, congratulations on reaching the 50K mark.

Pranam.

Arjuni
28 December 2011, 11:43 AM
Namasté,

Thanking me for your own kindness? You folks are a strange bunch... ;)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

saidevo
30 December 2011, 08:52 PM
namaste Satay.

Congratulations that the HDFpuri is now populated with over 3,000 members! May the numbers grow and the contents mature more and more by God's grace.

satay
31 December 2011, 02:53 PM
namaste,

namaste Satay.

Congratulations that the HDFpuri is now populated with over 3,000 members! May the numbers grow and the contents mature more and more by God's grace.

Yes, that is a nice milestone to observe on this new year's eve.

satay
20 January 2012, 01:14 PM
namaste everyone,
As part of the cleanup, I have removed members who joined before Jan 2010 but never made any posts.

namaste Satay.