PDA

View Full Version : You are the awareness

Spiritualseeker
11 October 2011, 11:12 AM
http://youtu.be/E9BPvVkaag8

Namaste,

This is the deep teaching of Advaita and many other spiritual traditions including Shaivism. This is very extraordinary, yet very simple. I find it amazing that everything happens in awareness. Even deep sleep occurs in awareness. Awareness is everything. I find a pull to outward objects, but this is also seen. When I have a 'good' day meditating and being a 'good' practictioner of the Dharma, then this is also witnessed. When I have a 'bad' day where I do not have a 'good' meditation or even meditate at all, this is also seen. So the myriad objects arise within awareness, the sense of I arises within this, ugly, and beauty both arise within this. This awareness is not touched. Even if someone is hacking off a limb, there is no touching of the awareness itself.

This is so fascinating!

Om Namah Shivaya

http://www.vedicstore.com/shiva_sml.jpg

Eastern Mind
11 October 2011, 02:48 PM
Vannakkam SS: But who is it that is aware? Who possesses this awareness? Are you aware that you are aware?

.... Point being it gets deeper yet, I suppose. But its an excellent way to study one's own mind. Just awareness moving about many areas or cities of the mind. Gee now, its in typing on a screen, later its in relaxation, etc. But that faculty (awareness) always remains.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
12 October 2011, 10:26 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

http://youtu.be/E9BPvVkaag8
I find it amazing that everything happens in awareness. Even deep sleep occurs in awareness. Awareness is everything.

Let me ask your opinion... Do you see awareness the same as consciousness?

praṇām

Spiritualseeker
12 October 2011, 07:08 PM
Namaste EM & Yajvan,

Good questions EM, these are words for my meditation. I still have not found the answer.

Yajvan, I would say when I am speaking of Awareness here that I mean consciousness.

Om Namah Shivaya

yajvan
12 October 2011, 08:01 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Namaste EM & Yajvan,
Yajvan, I would say when I am speaking of Awareness here that I mean consciousness.

For me, I think of awareness as applied consciousness. Yet śrī nisarga-datta maharāj , a realized being that lived this daily, says it the other way. He says awareness is the essence (sāra) and from it consciousness arises. I see his point when he suggests wake , dream and sleep comes from or manifests from awareness. Yet I think he also talks of pure awareness and in that case there is no wake, dream or sleep.

Now one must ask does it make a difference? No, as long as one is flexible in their thinking.

praṇām

devotee
12 October 2011, 11:22 PM
Yes, You and I and all others are Consciousness alone. The entire Universe whatever Is is nothing but Consciousness.

Consciousness is Brahman -- PrajnANam Brahman.

OM

anisha_astrologer
15 October 2011, 01:35 AM
it is true that awareness comes from within. whatever books you read pr whatever lectures you attend it won't make any difference unless you awaken the unconscious self in you.

Spiritualseeker
17 October 2011, 07:55 PM
Namaste,

Devotee today I was contemplating in meditation concerning awareness. I under instructions, just watched wherever the attention went. My awareness just watched as the attention went to thought, breath, body, feelings, perceptions, etc.. It was strange, because it seems it was completely effortless and yet instead of getting lost in the things that arose in consciousness, there seemed to be a stillness. Have I been overlooking something here?

Om Namah Shivaya

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2658/3877957416_9308895411.jpg

devotee
17 October 2011, 11:06 PM
Devotee today I was contemplating in meditation concerning awareness. I under instructions, just watched wherever the attention went. My awareness just watched as the attention went to thought, breath, body, feelings, perceptions, etc.. It was strange, because it seems it was completely effortless and yet instead of getting lost in the things that arose in consciousness, there seemed to be a stillness. Have I been overlooking something here?

IMHO, You have not been missing anything. It shows good progress. Eventually, you will slowly reach where you will feel that you are just bright Consciousness & that gives a very peaceful feeling .. free from all worries, fear and bondage.

OM

Spiritualseeker
26 October 2011, 08:17 AM
Namaste Devotee,

It seems that the majority of the thoughts we think are not important as all. This is a great reflection, because we are in such a fog all day long in the world of thought, when in reality much of what thought says is nothing special. It is just a lot of garbage it seems. This is encouraging to see this as it seems these thoughts molest us daily, but really they are nothing to pay attention to. I am not talking about denial of thought, but its just knowing that thought is just thought and nothing more. It is just a small fraction of what is manifesting from Pure Consciousness.

Om Gam Ganapatye Namaha
Om Namah Shivaya

devotee
26 October 2011, 10:01 AM
Namaste SS,

It seems that the majority of the thoughts we think are not important as all. This is a great reflection, because we are in such a fog all day long in the world of thought, when in reality much of what thought says is nothing special. It is just a lot of garbage it seems. This is encouraging to see this as it seems these thoughts molest us daily, but really they are nothing to pay attention to. I am not talking about denial of thought, but its just knowing that thought is just thought and nothing more. It is just a small fraction of what is manifesting from Pure Consciousness.

You are absolutely right. The whole aim of meditation is to get rid of reckless noise of spontaneously arising thoughts within us which are due to deep impressions of our past Karmas in our consciousness which we keep carrying. Thoughts have the power of creation ... we create the world as we think.

OM