PDA

View Full Version : Paramahansa Yogananda

MysticalGypsi
06 January 2007, 04:14 PM
I have just started reading Autobiography of a Yogi. I do not know much about Paramahansa Yogananda. I was wondering about his reputation while alive and after he was deceased both in India and in the US. And, what most Hindus, besides his followers think of him?

c.smith
06 January 2007, 07:21 PM
I'd be interested in what his devotees think too. Perhaps another thread?

sm78
07 January 2007, 03:11 AM
I was wondering if he is well thought of, trusted, respected. This would help me understand or appreciate the book more.

Stress on mircles does not radiate a healthy spiritual signal.IMHO.

atanu
08 January 2007, 06:11 AM
---
Is his memory still alive in India?

Yes, I think so. I have read the book and to me He came as an open person, hiding nothing and without a complex.

sm78
08 January 2007, 06:27 AM
He is telling his autobiography, so he is not really stressing miracles, just recounting what happened. But, some things are hard to believe because there are so many. According to the website dedicated to him, he was a holy man, well thought of, even saying his body did not decay after he passed. But, when I google to find some objective information on his life, nothing comes up.

So, that is why I asked about his reputation. I was hoping someone could give me information on his credibility because I do not have any history on him.

Is his memory still alive in India?

His lieange is that of lahiri-mahasaya has good number of followers even outside yogananada's own. The path of kriya yoga to which yogananda belonged is well recognized in the society. There are many teachers belonging to this tradition in India, one of my friends family used to follow kriya yoga, their teacher was a direct diciple of Yogananda's teacher, Sri Yukteswar ~ if that's what u are asking.

Agnideva
08 January 2007, 09:10 AM
Namaste Mysitcal,

Miracles or not, I really enjoyed reading Yogananda’s book. There are a number of organizations here in the US that promote Yogananda’s teachings such as the Self-Realization Fellowship. His followers, however, have distanced themselves from “Hinduism” as far as I know. Unfortunately, after his death, there was a rift in the organization, and there have been several other issues that plagued the SRF.

OM Shanti,
A.

MysticalGypsi
16 January 2007, 06:13 PM
"Think you that your devotion did not touch the Infinite Mercy? The Motherhood of God, that you have worshiped in forms both human and divine, could never fail to answer your forsaken cry."

"Sir, please wear this champak garland I have fashioned especially for you." I arrived one evening, holding my chain of flowers. But shyly he drew away, repeatedly refusing the honor. Perceiving my hurt, he finally smiled consent.
"Since we are both devotees of the Mother, you may put the garland on this bodily temple, as offering to Her who dwells within." His vast nature lacked space in which any egotistical consideration could gain foothold.

Without a breath of censure or criticism, he surveyed the world with eyes long familiar with the Primal Purity. His body, mind, speech, and actions were effortlessly harmonized with his soul's simplicity.

The unique pantomime brought me an inexpressible ecstasy. I drank deep from some blissful fount. Suddenly my chest received another soft blow from Master Mahasaya. The pandemonium of the world burst upon my unwilling ears. I staggered, as though harshly awakened from a gossamer dream. The transcendental wine removed beyond my reach.

sm78
16 January 2007, 10:39 PM
I was really taken by this guru (Mahasaya). He came across so sweet and humble. I love the imagery and lessons in the above passages.

he is the author of the "gospels of sri ramakrishna". if you like master mahasaya so much, sure you will love legends of his guru (ramakrishna) in his own words.

sm78
18 January 2007, 03:28 AM
http://www.kathamrita.org/

MysticalGypsi
18 January 2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the information, I have been checking it out. Why do they call him Sri M?

"You are probably flying away from your families under the enchantment of the Stealer of Hearts."

"I will tell you a few—each one with a moral!" Sri Yukteswar's eyes twinkled with his warning. "My mother once tried to frighten me with an appalling story of a ghost in a dark chamber. I went there immediately, and expressed my disappointment at having missed the ghost. Mother never told me another horror-tale. Moral: Look fear in the face and it will cease to trouble you.

"Another early memory is my wish for an ugly dog belonging to a neighbor. I kept my household in turmoil for weeks to get that dog. My ears were deaf to offers of pets with more prepossessing appearance. Moral: Attachment is blinding; it lends an imaginary halo of attractiveness to the object of desire.
"A third story concerns the plasticity of the youthful mind. I heard my mother remark occasionally: 'A man who accepts a job under anyone is a slave.' That impression became so indelibly fixed that even after my marriage I refused all positions. I met expenses by investing my family endowment in land. Moral: Good and positive suggestions should instruct the sensitive ears of children. Their early ideas long remain sharply etched."

Agnideva
19 January 2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the information, I have been checking it out. Why do they call him Sri M?

Namaste MG,

His real name was Mahendranath Gupta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahendranath_Gupta). When he wrote the biography of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, his pen-name was M, so he is called Sri M. I actually didn't know he was also called Mahasaya. I guess you do learn something new everyday!

OM Shanti,
A

yajvan
19 January 2007, 10:04 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

I have just started reading Autobiography of a Yogi. I do not know much about Paramahansa Yogananda. I was wondering about his reputation while alive and after he was deceased both in India and in the US. And, what most Hindus, besides his followers think of him?

NAmaste MG,
this is a good book selection on your part... inspiration flows on all the pages. I have the highest repsect for Yogananda-ji and his guru, Swami Sri Yukteswar.

let us know of your insights along the way.

MysticalGypsi
24 January 2007, 03:31 PM
My guru mixed freely with men and women disciples, treating all as his children. Perceiving their soul equality, he showed no distinction or partiality.

"In sleep, you do not know whether you are a man or a woman," he said. "Just as a man, impersonating a woman, does not become one, so the soul, impersonating both man and woman, has no sex. The soul is the pure, changeless image of God."

Sri Yukteswar never avoided or blamed women as objects of seduction. Men, he said, were also a temptation to women. I once inquired of my guru why a great ancient saint had called women "the door to hell."
"A girl must have proved very troublesome to his peace of mind in his early life," my guru answered causticly. "Otherwise he would have denounced, not woman, but some imperfection in his own self-control."

vedic_kings
24 January 2007, 08:29 PM
Im reading Paramahansa Yogananda stuff for the first time, which is "The Essence of the Bhagavad Gita: Explained by Paramahansa Yogananda, As Remembered by His Disciple, Swami Kriyananda.

Im about half way through the book (649 page book), and so far its a great read!
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-56168193267636_1929_16527410

Agnideva
24 January 2007, 11:22 PM
Sri Yukteswar never avoided or blamed women as objects of seduction. Men, he said, were also a temptation to women. I once inquired of my guru why a great ancient saint had called women "the door to hell."

"A girl must have proved very troublesome to his peace of mind in his early life," my guru answered causticly. "Otherwise he would have denounced, not woman, but some imperfection in his own self-control."

It's been a while since I read this book. I remember coming across this passage, and I think Yukteswar is right. You remember how I told a story about Tulsidas in another thread (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9646&postcount=9)? He was one such person. You'll see plenty of misogyny in his later writings probably because he was imperfect in his own self control, as his story says.

Regards,
A.

Agnideva
24 January 2007, 11:37 PM
Yes I thought of your post when I read that section.

But, in whose writings-Yukteswar or Tulsidas?

Oh sorry, I meant Tulsidas' writings.

MysticalGypsi
24 February 2007, 02:58 PM
"Spiritual sight, x-raylike, penetrates into all matter; the divine eye is center everywhere, circumference nowhere. I realized anew, standing there in the sunny courtyard, that when man ceases to be a prodigal child of God, engrossed in a physical world indeed dream, baseless as a bubble, he reinherits his eternal realms. If "escapism" be a need of man, cramped in his narrow personality, can any escape compare with the majesty of omnipresence?"

Znanna
24 February 2007, 03:53 PM
Love Never Dies.

ZN

MysticalGypsi
24 February 2007, 05:22 PM
From science, then, if it must be so, let man learn the philosophic truth that there is no material universe; its warp and woof is maya, illusion. Its mirages of reality all break down under analysis. As one by one the reassuring props of a physical cosmos crash beneath him, man dimly perceives his idolatrous reliance, his past transgression of the divine command: "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me."

Ettenna
13 February 2009, 10:18 AM
I am nearing the end read of Autobiography of a Yogi. When I read his chapter "The Resurrection of Sri Yukteswar" I was somewhat comforted. That upon discarding this physical body, if I have done enough to practice God consciousness and destroy seeds of karma that will keep me from returning to physical body, perhaps even decending into some lower physical form, then I may advance to the astral plane while in the astral body I can work on my astral karma. I make this too long thought because I am not sure my ego brain is interpreting what I read. When reading BG As It IS-so many of the purports have me feeling despair in that my progress toward HOME is impossible if I donot fully renunciate. I am a wife of advanced years with little to renunciate--therefore what would I give up? It would be insincere. I would gain more bad karma and perhaps fulfill my fear of returning as a salamander, having no reason by which to follow a Path HOME. As you can see I have no real question only that I am appreciative that this book came into my life at this time. A resonating prayer from it for me is ..."Dear Lord, let my inspiration be Thyself".
I would appreciate any random thoughts you may wish to share about your own path.
Also, I have received benefits from the practices of chant, yoga, mindfulness, restraint from material attachments, dietary restraints, use of calm voice, not indulging people, places and things that are clearly not supportive of spirituality. Yes, I do make many dualities, while in my soul "knowing" that there is only Consciousness. I cannot hold that awareness for longer than a fraction of a second.
PS this forum is the most delighful, informative and tolerant discussion I have found. It's interesting that when the student is ready the teacher appears.
I thank you all.
Ettenna

devotee
13 February 2009, 08:59 PM
Namaste Ettenna,

The "Autobiography of a Yogi" is a wonderful work by Maharishi Paramhans Yogananda but it is just a biography. You may find the real teachings of Paramhans Yogananda ji in his other books.

If you are interested you may read the following books :

1. Man's Eternal Quest
2. Journey of Self-realisation
3. The Law of Success
4. How You Can Talk With God
5. Metaphysical Meditations

His teachings, arranged in a scientific & logical manner, are also available in small modules to students (this is nearly one & half years course). However, for having an access to that, you will have to join YSS/SRF (Yogoda Satsang Society/ Self Realisation Fellowship).

OM