PDA

View Full Version : Shiva and Shankh

Divine Kala
13 October 2011, 02:57 AM
Namaste

A little background first - a conversation has been going on amongst the members of an email group I am part of regarding the use of copper vessels and how they should never be used with milk. During the conversation the use of the shankh (conch shell) in Shiva puja came up.

Apparently the shankh should never be used during Shiva puja but I have seen pujas involving 108 shankh, filled with water, for abhishekam. So I am a bit confused. Should we use the shankh or shouldn't we?

Eastern Mind
13 October 2011, 08:15 AM
Namaste

A little background first - a conversation has been going on amongst the members of an email group I am part of regarding the use of copper vessels and how they should never be used with milk. During the conversation the use of the shankh (conch shell) in Shiva puja came up.

Apparently the shankh should never be used during Shiva puja but I have seen pujas involving 108 shankh, filled with water, for abhishekam. So I am a bit confused. Should we use the shankh or shouldn't we?

Vannakkam DK: I've never heard of any restrictions, so it is most likely one of those local differences. I too have seen the shankh abhishekham, but I've never seen copper vessels used, but that may be because the temple here just doesn't have them.

Aum Namasivaya

sm78
14 October 2011, 08:22 AM

I have seen restriction against using shankha as arghya patra in shiva arcana. But I am not sure if it is applicable for all sampradayas or only shaktas.

anisha_astrologer
14 October 2011, 08:52 AM
it all depends. in some places it is forbidden in some it is not. it is all based on beliefs. so if you believe that shankh should be used then use it.