PDA

View Full Version : the richest Sri Lankan-born

yajvan
13 October 2011, 05:54 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

This is most unfortunate... When we look at people that may promote or retard the view of Indians/Hindu's Mr. Raj Rajaratnam is not the best ambassador.

He was the 262nd richest American in 2008, with an estimated net worth of $1.5 billion. As of 2009 he was the richest Sri Lankan-born individual in the world. He has done some good with his money - He had donated generously to clear land mines in the war-affected areas in Sri Lanka.

Yet on May 11, 2011 he was found guilty on 14 counts of conspiracy and securities fraud. Today, October 13, 2011, Rajaratnam was sentenced to 11 years in prison.

"His crimes and the scope of his crimes reflect a virus in our business culture that needs to be eradicated," U.S. District Judge Richard Holwell said in imposing the sentence. Judge Holwell ordered Mr. Rajaratnam to pay a $10 million fine and to forfeit $53.8 million.

praṇām

source: Wall St. Journal

Mana
14 October 2011, 01:08 AM
Namasté yajvan

It is encouraging to hear Judge Richard Holwell, a man of stature; speaking of the current trend in business affairs.

We can only hope that in the light of day, the public figures of sound reason and heart might turn against those who dominate in such a cruel world, no longer fearing the consequence; are the foundations of our society and or conciousness changing?

I do often question the motives of anything coming from Wall St; since the creation of the "sub prime" citizen.

Has this action been provoked by protests?

I pray for peace at this time.
I pray for those who protest.

praNAma

mana

Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti ...

issacnewton
14 October 2011, 04:52 AM
I think this guy should get a bullet in his greedy head.

was he hindu ?

R Gitananda
15 October 2011, 02:13 PM
namasté

When I look at his net worth in relation to the amount that he has been told to forfeit,
I find it hard understanding why he would risk prison for that amount of money. For
someone who has never lived the life of a king, $53.8 million would allow them to do
that. However he was worth an estimated $1.5 billion! So while $53.8 million is still a lot
of money to him, he probably already owned anything he wanted. Even stranger is the
case of billionaire Leona Helmsley who went to prison for claiming her bras as business
expenses! In her case I can't believe the bras were a lot of money. Possibly the answer
is that the very wealthy are used to doing things in a crooked way and we just know
about the things we catch them at.

Hari Aum Shanti