PDA

View Full Version : Maha-mrtyunjaya Mantra

shian
16 October 2011, 10:40 PM
Vanakkam ,

brother and sisters, is we already have thread about this ?
i already use search but no result for word Mrtyunjaya

i want to know all about this Maha Mantra,
please who have knowledge about this mantra, please share to us here

maybe :
meaning
history
the rule to chant
the story or experience during chanting
etc

Thank you :)

may Lord Shiva bless us

Spiritualseeker
17 October 2011, 09:38 AM
Namaste,

Very strange, I wanted to start a thread yesterday on this great Mantra.

Here is a nice article on it: http://www.nandhi.com/mrityunjaya.htm

From what I know it comes from ancient worshippers of Rudra. I find Rudra to be very auspicious as Shiva is. There is something that draws me to this particular form.

The Mahamrityunjaya mantra was taught by Lord Shiva to Sukracharya the preceptor of the demons after he succeeded in the impossible test of hanging upside down from a tree for twenty years (Vimsottari dasa period) with smoke blowing into him from a fire lit beneath. Even Brihaspati was shocked at the prospect of such a terrible penance and calmly settled to observe Sukracharya accept the challenge of Indra and succeed.

Tapaswi Yoga definition: Since Sukracharya (Venus in astrology) passed the penance he was glorified as the Tapaswi Raja (the king of the spiritual discipline and penance). The definition of Tapaswi Yoga comes from this penance as Saturn (punishment, hard toil), Ketu (smoke blown into the nose and other forms of self inflicted torture) and Venus (desire and its renunciation) must come together to define the personal ability of the Tapaswi.

After the penance Lord Shiva taught the Mahamrityunjaya mantra to Sukracharya, who under very compelling circumstances had to teach this to the son of Brihaspati and that is how the devas also got the mantra. This mantra was given (sruti) to Vasistha Maharishi for the welfare of this world. The mantra and explanation given by Sukracharya to Rishi Dadhicha when the latter's body was cut and thrown by Raja Kshuva is recorded in the Shiva Purana.

This seems quite amazing. It was given after much austerities. There has to be a great power behind it. I do not have any major break through stories concerning this mantra. All I know is that I enjoy chanting it and I am drawn to it a lot. Apparently this mantra has healing powers. This is great for a healer or one who wants to heal themselves. I think the major beauty of this mantra is its use to liberate one from ignorant ways. Healing and other siddhas are of course good side affects, but they are not the fruit of the mantra itself which is liberation from birth and death.

Om Namah Shivaya

yajvan
17 October 2011, 11:55 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

ॐ मृत्युञ्जयाय नमः
oṁ mṛtyuñjayāya namaḥ

Yes, for those interested, you may wish to view this post:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=5099&highlight=jaya

praṇām

Kumar_Das
17 October 2011, 08:50 PM
And oddly I too wanted to check info about this mantra around the same time...

Ramakrishna
17 October 2011, 10:56 PM
Namaste,

Even more oddly enough, recently I have taken somewhat of an interest in this mantra and have been listening to it daily over the past couple of weeks. It is very soothing and powerful to listen to, but now I will begin to try to learn it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClxgIS-_X_g

Jai Sri Ram

radharaman
10 November 2011, 02:18 PM
Dear Spiritual seeker i am pleased to see you quote Nandhi about this great mantra. I am currently working with Nandhi and his path of the siddhars. It is a reasl adventure and taking me to new depths.