PDA

View Full Version : Shaivite Sorcery?

Spiritualseeker
18 October 2011, 07:33 PM
Namaste,

Does anyone know anything in particular about Shaivite sorcery? I have seen videos of certain priests using forms of magick. I know some Shaktas use it. Sadhus certainly have many shamanic rituals. Does anyone know any further information on this?

Thanks

Om Namah Shivaya

yajvan
18 October 2011, 07:42 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

using forms of magick

What is magic to you ? I wish to make my ego disappear .

praṇām

Spiritualseeker
18 October 2011, 07:48 PM
Namaste,

It is nothing too extraordinary. Thinking negative thoughts about oneself is magick itself, because the prana goes into negativity. Thinking positive thoughts, bring changes within oneself. Obviously this is still on the thinking level, but taking it a step further different techniques can be utilized along with other tools to bring harmony of the elements within you and outside of you. These things can bring about change. For example, the practice of Kuji Kiri is an ancient esoteric practice in which you invoke dieties and recite sacred mantras while forming different mudras to bring about those qualities and changes within yourself and the so called outer world.

Om Namah Shivaya

Mana
19 October 2011, 01:04 AM
Namaste Spiritualseeker, yajvan,

I would speculate that the numerous misinterpretations of this divine wisdoms and philosophies; over the years have caused many to lose their minds, but lost where?
Nothing is ever lost it only dissipates.
Do we not wish to be one pointed in thought?

praNAma

mana

sm78
19 October 2011, 01:35 AM
Namaste,

Does anyone know anything in particular about Shaivite sorcery? I have seen videos of certain priests using forms of magick. I know some Shaktas use it. Sadhus certainly have many shamanic rituals. Does anyone know any further information on this?

Thanks

Om Namah Shivaya

Magic is not the most appropriate term, but shat-karma is what we call them when applied outside. When applied inside, it is just sadhana.

I have read a good essay on aravind's manasatarmgini blog which detailed how shaivites of the south also were also masters of mantra-vada (probably some still are). Although for a shaivite, devotion and yoga are the principle forms of sadhana, for someone wanting to take priestly role must also develop oneself as a mantravadin (which is generally thought to be a shakta domain). For a shaivite mastery over magical rites may not be a core component of sadhana but more for applying outside for defence and maybe also not to lag behind other sects in this science.

Spiritualseeker
19 October 2011, 08:33 AM
Namaste,

Yes I think my term is confusing, because there is different usage of what this is in many different cultures. Shamanic people practice it, pagan groups, Taoists, and many others. I would be interested to know more about Mantra-vada. I think ill do some research on this subject.

Om Namah Shivaya

sm78
19 October 2011, 08:49 AM
Namaste,

Yes I think my term is confusing, because there is different usage of what this is in many different cultures. Shamanic people practice it, pagan groups, Taoists, and many others. I would be interested to know more about Mantra-vada. I think ill do some research on this subject.

Om Namah Shivaya

I understand what you are talking about. Shamanic type rituals are very much a part of Hinduism as it is of any other ancient tribal/folk based religious culture (although now not surviving only as underlying cultural threads under the domination of one or the other monothesims).

It is generally within a substratum of hindu tantras that such practices exist in Hinudism, and what I was saying that according to that article even shaivites and vaishnavites of yore practiced such craft and probably still do. Ofcourse this over-arching "shamanic", "magical" etc categorization is a bit of over simiplification and generalization in line with categories a western person is already familiar with. However, the similarities accross cultures is quite visible so as to group them as a common substratum of spiritual practices that may be once were common accross the globe - or they are an expression of a deeper recess of our consciousness which we share as humanity and thus express in similar fashion.

sm78
19 October 2011, 08:54 AM
I recently got hold of a local publication in one of the more well known tantric hot spots that has a "good" collection of quite tribal and curious rituals quite removed from the more technical and complex rituals of *normal* tantra or agama. These odd incantations, rather curious rituals using the fallen hair, or torn cloth of the subject/object or blowing into some seeds with mantras in local dielects have always been there as part of hindu culture in periphery and must in reality predate the sophistry of the elaborate temple rituals of *mainstream* hinduism. They are very shamanic in look and feel.

Spiritualseeker
19 October 2011, 09:07 AM
This is very interesting. I am sure there is much misunderstanding concerning it amongst other elements, but it is great to know that these traditions are still carried on. These are very ancient practices and to some extent it does not necessary leads to Moksha, but there are many esoteric practices of using these techniques to become in harmony with the elements and to even see things differently. It is something that interest me, although my meditation is pretty simple (natural awareness), but there is techniques I have used in order to feel energy within etc... It is just another method of channeling the prana that is everything. I am curious to learn more about this in detail. I will have to look through tantra texts and material. I am currently reading a tantra text that is very interesting in other ways of presenting the deities as living within everything (which relates to craft etc.)

Om Namah Shivaya

sm78
20 October 2011, 02:00 AM
This is very interesting. I am sure there is much misunderstanding concerning it amongst other elements, but it is great to know that these traditions are still carried on. These are very ancient practices and to some extent it does not necessary leads to Moksha, but there are many esoteric practices of using these techniques to become in harmony with the elements and to even see things differently.
It all depends on what one means by moksha. Being in harmony with elements is often a critical step to the more complete vision and awareness of oneself - which is moksha for some sects. Those who have some transcendental vision of the word would ofcourse struggle with these rituals and also with other more technical mainstream rituals also.

It is something that interest me, although my meditation is pretty simple (natural awareness), but there is techniques I have used in order to feel energy within etc... It is just another method of channeling the prana that is everything. I am curious to learn more about this in detail. I will have to look through tantra texts and material. I am currently reading a tantra text that is very interesting in other ways of presenting the deities as living within everything (which relates to craft etc.)

Yes, my interest is also curosity only as far as the rituals are concerned. To effectively apply this older layer of shamanic type rituals I feel one needs help of someone experienced. I am more internally aware of the possibilities and getting rid of internal cultural and religious bias against these elements - which itself is a good step, I believe - at least it frees my mind from centuries of junk. What tantra are you talking about? Can you share the name?

Spiritualseeker
13 November 2011, 08:23 AM
Namaste,

I was reading a book called "Shakti Mantras: Tapping into The Great Goddess Energy Within" by Thomas Ashley-Farrand. In it he obviously goes over many different mantras associated with the great Goddesses. One mantra in particular has my interest. om shrim klim namah shivaya. We are used to seeing Om Namah Shivaya, but according to the text he claims that advanced text use Shrim klim.

This is the text from the book:
"In some advanced texts, this mantra is amplified by the inclusion of seed sounds to increase the power of the mantra. One such rendering uses the seed sound for Lakshmi's abundance, Shrim and the seed sound for attracting both abundance and the consciousness residing naturally in the elements of creation, Klim"

Does anyone have any experience with this formulation of the mantra?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3629/3534815295_5cc6c1eef6.jpg
Om Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
13 November 2011, 09:08 AM
Vannakkam SS: I've heard it used for repetition while making offerings at havans, or homas, but personally I don't mess around with mantras.

Aum Namasivaya